What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (6 Viewers)

@bostonfred, IIRC (and I could be completely mis-remembering), you were good at the balance poses.  Yesterday's Adriene (Day 9) was called "Balance" and had a lot of that, so I thought you might like that one.  Today's (Connection - Day 10) also ends with what seemed like an endless tree pose on each side.  I'm happy to report that I made it through those without putting my foot down, through force of sheer will.  My tree isn't the greatest form - my foot is more like at my knee than at my thigh - but I was pleased with my progress!

Last edited by a moderator:
@bostonfred, IIRC (and I could be completely mis-remembering), you were good at the balance poses.  Yesterday's Adriene (Day 9) was called "Balance" and had a lot of that, so I thought you might like that one.  Today's (Connection - Day 10) also ends with what seemed like an endless tree pose on each side.  I'm happy to report that I made it through those without putting my foot down, through force of sheer will.  My tree isn't the greatest form - my foot is more like at my knee than at my thigh - but I was pleased with my progress!
I do like balance poses, and tree is great because it's exercise where you just kind of stand there for a while. Right up my alley. 

Awesome that your balance is improving. Be careful with putting your foot against your knee while you balance. I feel like my heel is pushing my ACL into a guitar string when I do that. 

If you want to work on balance try standing on your left foot and then tap your right toes at 12 o clock, three o clock and six o clock, then back to three and twelve. Then switch legs, and tap twelve nine twelve with your left toes. If you can do that slowly and in control, try doing it while standing on a swiss bosu ball (i don't know which one it is, the half ball thing that's flat on the bottom).

It's not a sweaty calorie burning exercise, but it works exactly the muscles that are weakest in your legs. For me that's my ankles and some muscle on my thighs that you can usually only work out with the crotch squeeze machine at the gym and no thanks. (The non bosu version is apparently also what they recommend for older people who are starting to have trouble with stairs and stuff...)

my biggest issue with tree, is my arms.  they are the least wrapped up, ungraceful thing, evah.  only stupid cowlegs, are worse.  must be because i'm so jacked!!  NOEXPLODE!!   :lmao:

one thing that i focus on, is when she says to push against your foot with the standing leg.  otherwise, i just bury my foot into my leg, which isn't the best and hurts a little.  gotta counter it with energy from the standing leg.

You guys must be doing your tree poses a lot more aggressively than I do!  :lol:   I'm not pounding my foot into my leg like that.

Thanks for the exercise tip, bf.  I'll give it a whirl.

I was a gymnast for many years, and my best event was balance beam.  Getting old sure is neat.
i am holding on for dear life.  the foot pressure into my leg, is in a desperate attempt to remain upright.  meanwhile, my arms look like i'm trying to park a 747.  without grace.  sending the plane the wrong way 

Been sticking to my 500 kettle bell swings M-F.  Happy about that.  Only rowed once this past week.  6k on Saturday.  Not happy about that.

I'm partaking in dry January (minus last Wednesday) and incorporated non-alcoholic beer.  I really like some of the stuff from Athletic Brewing, it actually tastes good.  It has the same amount of calories as Bud Lights (90-100) so doesn't do me favors there.  But for me a lot of it is just the ritual of getting my kids to bed and sitting on the sofa to read or watch TV and cracking open a few beers.  The upside is that at 11pm I'm not raiding the pantry and eating an entire box of goldfish that is for my 4-year old.

Been sticking to my 500 kettle bell swings M-F.  Happy about that.  Only rowed once this past week.  6k on Saturday.  Not happy about that.

I'm partaking in dry January (minus last Wednesday) and incorporated non-alcoholic beer.  I really like some of the stuff from Athletic Brewing, it actually tastes good.  It has the same amount of calories as Bud Lights (90-100) so doesn't do me favors there.  But for me a lot of it is just the ritual of getting my kids to bed and sitting on the sofa to read or watch TV and cracking open a few beers.  The upside is that at 11pm I'm not raiding the pantry and eating an entire box of goldfish that is for my 4-year old.
fun fact.  those goldfish are remarkably low in calories, for a salty snack .   :bag:  

Dude those goldfish are addictive. Serving size is like 63 crackers so you can eat a zillion of them too. The flavor blasted ones are the best
That's good to know.  Will use that in my defense next time I get scolded.  Goldfish was only the most recent example, other options include: a sleeve of ritz crackers, a full row out of the tray of Ferrero Rocher chocolates, 5 of those kids' sized granola bars, etc.

Glad to see I’m not the only fan of those tasty goldfish snacks.  We buy a lot of those for my daughter but I eat most of them.  
I wonder if this is one of those rare items about which the FFA would have near-unanimous agreement.  I don't mean if we asked "are the red better than the green in the color-blasted goldfish" or "why in god's name did they make a pretzel version of goldfish crackers," but just the basic "do you love goldfish crackers or are you a godless heathen" type of question.

I wonder if this is one of those rare items about which the FFA would have near-unanimous agreement.  I don't mean if we asked "are the red better than the green in the color-blasted goldfish" or "why in god's name did they make a pretzel version of goldfish crackers," but just the basic "do you love goldfish crackers or are you a godless heathen" type of question.
Cheeze-It’s are better and since my kids are all older we don’t do goldfish any more.  I ate them when they were younger but if I was honest thought they were just ok.

Sigh.  Not really.  Just lashing out at your Goldfish-hating ways.
So you’re saying there’s a chance?  I hear you.

Goldfish aren’t bad, I just don’t get the love.  I mean, I’ve eaten a bunch of them over the years, I just prefer Cheeze-its.  They are fantastic finger food for kids though.  

Godless heathen, checking in. And cheez-it's suck too.

My latest healthy obsession is Arugula. I take a huge handful and rough it up a little (releases the peppery fragrance), squeeze a half a lemon over it (I like a lot), sprinkle with some kosher salt, and top with shaved parm. 

Its so simple and absolutely bursting with flavor. Makes a great side dish for any lean protein.  :thumbup:

Stayed right at my calorie goal yesterday and off the booze.  Walked the dog for exercise. 

I really need to add something else in, but I'm struggling to get into something new.  Just going with the flow for now.  

Made a new 'stew' last night.  It was 2lb chicken boobs, 2lb sweet potatoes, 1 diced bell pepper, 1.5C chicken broth, and 1C salsa in an instantpot.  (I added some paprika, cumin, and garlic also.) Added some fresh cilantro after it stewed for 25 mins.  Pretty easy and really good.  Around 325cal/serving.  

Well, I was coming in here to ask for permission to have a day of heavy drinking (after three days with no drinks) in reaction to today's events, and then I read of MOP's and kev's friend's genuine issues.  I'm still going to drink, because #### this ####, but wanted to tell you guys to hang in there.  MOP, many people here genuinely care, so if there's anything we can do to help, let us know.  Or just use this as a sounding board or to rant or whatever will be best for you.  Sending good vibes your way.
This is my 1st time reading this, I'm choked up reading it and I keep writing and erasing every entry or post trying to reply. 

Thank you Krista, that's very kind and it means a lot to have the respect or even consideration of your peers in here that you admire.  

-I wanted to keep this under wraps for a little while longer but we are actively interviewing for a few places and while sad in some ways, we are going to have to leave Florida most likely...there's a lot that is packed into this statement but I've been brutally honest about the new CEO who came into my wife's hospital in the middle of the pandemic starting and has just taken a blowtorch in a very bad/negative way including firing my wife's boss who handpicked my wife about 5 years ago from the Univ of Miami and got us to move up here to Jupiter...all that said it's been a wonderful journey and pretty peaceful mostly...until now. 

I'm sharing that in here because i don't believe we would be in this position to continue to look for opportunities that present themselves if I/we had not worked on ourselves and realized we MUST lose the mindset we had in order to be able to receive and be ready to pounce on the next run of opportunities for us.

I know whoever lands me next is going to get their money's worth. I already was loaded with stories but now I have an appearance that allows me access to situations and people that would not have happened prior and maybe that's a mark on society but it is what it is..."They shouldn't judge a book by its cover" BUT THEY DO!!! I promise you they do!  

I'll toast with you. I did not drink tequila yesterday, that was the first time I haven't had a shot or two daily since maybe Christmas, still like several cans of beer throughout the day but they just don't make me get as crazy as those shots of Clase Azul...Milagro works really well too at a fraction fo the price. 

Poke_4_Life said:
Finished off the weekend strong.  Just walking for exercise both days but also did some leaf raking and other yard work both days and ended up with over 10k steps both days.  8 days of no booze.  

Scale said I lost 8lb in my first week back at it.  I must have been really bloated and full of crap (literally) at that first weigh in, because there's no LOVING way I lost 8lb in a week.  

Keep it up!
Underrated activity and while it won't erase a half dozen glazed donuts it will get you clearing your head of unwanted emotions and negative thinking which will stop many food cravings so you don't grab the donuts to begin with. 👍

Whoever invented these little round pretzel balls for Snyder? Someone is going to need to time travel to whoever engineered these as a kid and give him a Rubik's Cube or something else to play with because "these pretzels are making me thirsty"

And a cold light beer just goes down so easy with a few of these. Also make great throw ins for ice cream, haven't found a flavor yet that didn't benefit from dropping a handful or two of these in the bowl. 

In terms of health and food, honestly what's the difference between snack/junk food/empty calories and drugs/alcohol/narcotics? The triggers are so similar to those that have experienced both of these issues. 

Another day of no booze and under my calories.  Got in about a 40min walk in nice weather.  

Getting to be routine now, which is a key for me.  
One of my New Year's resolutions was to quit booze from Sunday  - Thursday.  I have to say that so far (I know very, very small sample size) I haven't had any cravings at all during the week.  Next step is to quit Fridays.  

I agree that it needs to become routine for a long-term change to work.  

One of my New Year's resolutions was to quit booze from Sunday  - Thursday.  I have to say that so far (I know very, very small sample size) I haven't had any cravings at all during the week.  Next step is to quit Fridays.  

I agree that it needs to become routine for a long-term change to work.  
I'm planning on 5 weeks no booze (started 1/3).  Last year I think booze was hurting my weight loss because I would log the first one or two, but not exactly accurately.  Then I would have a 2nd or 3rd.  I'm also a bourbon/wine person.  It's easier to log and track w/ beer.  But how do I know how much bourbon is in my glass?  Esp the 2nd/3rd one.   :banned:

It scares me that you're drinking early afternoon or earlier so often these days. When is the last day you didn't drink?
No tequila yesterday

Today was a mixed bag

-I typically drink early, 10-11-Noon is common BUT I don't drink a lot at night, usually just a can of beer around the house, I like to get my work done in the morning, sometimes I am up and working by 5-6 in the morning at the house. I like to break around 10-11, usually I come back between 2-6 or however many hours I need to invest the rest of the night until I fall asleep 

Night time is for toking, sometimes I like to wake n bake but I usually won't exercise with the same amount of enthusiasm so i try to make that more of an evening event but I break that rule often as needed. 

No tequila yesterday

Today was a mixed bag

-I typically drink early, 10-11-Noon is common BUT I don't drink a lot at night, usually just a can of beer around the house, I like to get my work done in the morning, sometimes I am up and working by 5-6 in the morning at the house. I like to break around 10-11, usually I come back between 2-6 or however many hours I need to invest the rest of the night until I fall asleep 

Night time is for toking, sometimes I like to wake n bake but I usually won't exercise with the same amount of enthusiasm so i try to make that more of an evening event but I break that rule often as needed. 
It's not something I should really comment on and I'm not judging, but I do worry because you've put in so much effort to get healthy and you're under a lot of stress. If you're comfortable with where you're at then do your thing but please keep an eye on it. 

I have definitely gone through stretches where I drink too much and then dialed it back and there are almost as many times I'd have appreciated someone saying something to me as times I'd have preferred they go #### themselves. 

My son turned 6 and a half today and of course we still apparently have to celebrate ####### half birthdays.  He chose Dominos for dinner (and cupcakes for dessert).  Apparently you can get a 2 topping pizza, cheesy bread and alfredo pasta for $5.99 each.  What an amazing deal!  Mind you - this is the same deal that they've had every single day for like the past 3 years.  They literally never switch it up (choose 2 or more of the following items for $5.99 each).  

Anyways I planned ahead and saved myself ~1,000 calories and ~ 1100 mg of sodium in preparation for this wonderful meal.  I ended up eating one slice of pizza, 1 and a half pieces of cheesy bread and two forks of the pasta.  I think that just about barely keeps me under my sodium goal for the day.  I passed on the cupcake - my son didn't.  He ended up with a tummy ache but I feel great!

Not in the mood to exercise tonight so just going to knock out my 200 pushups, read and go to bed early.  

My son turned 6 and a half today and of course we still apparently have to celebrate ####### half birthdays.  He chose Dominos for dinner (and cupcakes for dessert).  Apparently you can get a 2 topping pizza, cheesy bread and alfredo pasta for $5.99 each.  What an amazing deal!  Mind you - this is the same deal that they've had every single day for like the past 3 years.  They literally never switch it up (choose 2 or more of the following items for $5.99 each).  

Anyways I planned ahead and saved myself ~1,000 calories and ~ 1100 mg of sodium in preparation for this wonderful meal.  I ended up eating one slice of pizza, 1 and a half pieces of cheesy bread and two forks of the pasta.  I think that just about barely keeps me under my sodium goal for the day.  I passed on the cupcake - my son didn't.  He ended up with a tummy ache but I feel great!

Not in the mood to exercise tonight so just going to knock out my 200 pushups, read and go to bed early.  
Good job.  It's meals like this that make me backslide.  

Another day under my calorie goal and no booze.  Walked about 45 mins on the treadmill.

Had way too much sodium tho... had homemade stir-fry for dinner and too much soy sauce.  Oh well.  
Yeah I cooked Chinese food (vegetarian fried rice and a broccoli/tofu garlic stir fry) the other day and it's virtually impossible to not use oil and soy sauce.  So my approach was to just limit the portions.

For breakfast, I've been getting used to eating oats with blueberries every day (virtually no sodium at all).  My lunch today will be 3 of those school chicken tenders (~ 350ish mg sodium) and some salad dressed with just balsamic vinegar (very tasty actually and virtually no sodium).  Side note - amazing how much sodium is in most salad dressings.  I'll probably have a snack (maybe a benefit bar) that has ~ 200 mg sodium.  This will will leave me with like 1800 mg of sodium for dinner (which is very easy when you're not eating take out).  Most likely I'll be under the 2,300 goal for the day.  Heck I'll probably treat myself to ice cream or chocolate tonight.  

I find that it's all about planning ahead in MFP.  MFP has been a godsend - thanks @bostonfred for the introduction.

"No Limit!" The more exercise the better, hart health study finds. 

Game changer for me was getting back to the roots we had as kids, most of us had at least an hour a day at school, I'm talking real young. Then you went home and played street football until dark or rode your bike or found some form of activity. 

Good job.  It's meals like this that make me backslide.  
I'm going to cross post this in the other thread because it's around the time when we're all likely to backslide. 

It takes a week or two to deplete your glycogen reserves (also known as burning off all of that water weight).  

Once you are down to your steady state, you don't have that bloat anymore. Your belly is probably getting flatter, you probably feel better, you probably notice more when you eat ####ty food and it feels yucky, and you probably find yourself getting hungry and tempted to cheat, because you feel different. 

This is a milestone you will reach each time you start to lose weight. It's where people start to fail and yoyo diet. "I lost ten pounds", they think, even though it was 8 lbs of water weight and 2 lbs of fat. Then they stop dieting for a while, put 10 lbs back on, and start over. 

Really all that's happening is they're losing a couple pounds  and putting it back on, getting discouraged that they always do this, and learning the wrong lesson that they are just bad at weight loss. 

This is not you. 

If you're posting in these threads with us, you've got this. You're talking it out with people going through the same thing and you can see you're not alone in this.  It's normal.  Try to stay on track. 

Poker players may recognize this advice, but for people who haven't heard this, this is good life advice in general:

Some days in life you are on your A game and whatever you do will work. Most days you are on your B game and you're going to be pretty good but not great at whatever you're doing. Some days, like it or not, you're on your C game or worse

Most of us imagine ourselves doing something new and imagine our A game. And when we work on it we try to improve our A game. But that's not the part that needs improvement.

You'll improve a lot more if you work on your B game, because that's where you spend so much time. 

But our B game is usually pretty good too. The problem is almost always our C game. If you want to make your life better, put processes in place that help you when you're on your C game, and help keep you from being there too long, or doing too much damage while you're there. 

If you can learn to recognize your C game, and get back to your A game and B game quickly, you'll see way more improvement than fine tuning the stuff you already do pretty well.

Let's say I have a blow up and eat 2500 calories over my TDEE. Just a huge cheat day where I go over, get disappointed with myself and say oh screw it and house the pizza and wine and cookies. 

I've been working  on a thousand calorie per day deficit to lose 2 lbs per week, and every other day I stayed on target, that means that this week I would have had -1000, -1000, -1000, -1000, -1000, -1000, +2500. For a total of -3500. 

Instead of losing 2 lbs this week, I lose 1. 

If I do that once a month, then instead of losing about 30 lbs in 3 months, I lose about 30 lbs in 4 months. An extra month is a long time to think about a few mistakes. 

You're human. You're going to screw up. Look for ways to limit those screw ups. 

The way I use myfitnesspal self regulates a lot of that. Sometimes I wake up thinking about those meatballs in the fridge and I know I'm in trouble. I know that if I overdo it at lunch, I don't get much for dinner. Sometimes I eat the meatballs and accept the consequences. If i want a real dinner I need to exercise to earn it.

Sometimes I'm lazy today and I just want to exercise. That's not a problem. I just  don't get as many calories for the day.

I can "screw up" without blowing my day.  That's how I'm able to do this for an extended time, but it doesn't have to be your way. Just think about your C game, and how you can control it. 

so ive been keepin it straight and am right in my weight range i am sorry for not posting for a while in here just trying to hang on right now lost a really good buddy who was my best fishing buddy to a horrible disease about a week ago and have not been sleeping much at all as a result and just sort of following the impeachment angrily and using that to keep my mind off of it and trying not to fall in to a bottle not good stuff but hey im back and still keepin on and have stayed clean take that to the bank bromigos 

Users who are viewing this thread