What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (8 Viewers)

Nice to have eagan and rowtis back at it.  I actually had a question for you two... When you guys do MAF on the rower how are you seeing your heart rate? Does the concept2 have a sensor or are you checking a separate hr monitor or ?
I wear my Garmin watch, and leave on the display showing the heart rate.  But Eagan's idea of a chest wearable one is probably better -- I've just never bothered to buy one and pair it up, and since I'm monitoring the workout on my Garmin anyway, that has worked for me.

Been a weird past week. I went over calories on four days, but none of 300 more than allotted. Only worked out I think twice and some yard work, but at the beginning of the week my body said your taking a siesta. It needed a rest. 

Also, I miss working in the office. I hate how I don't have that separation between work and home. Meh.

So I was relatively good this weekend, with booze every night.  Did yoga Friday and Saturday, but didn't feel well yesterday so only walked the dog. (I think Saturday's fajitas needed to pass through and take everything with it.  :oldunsure: :shrug: )

Already off to a strong start for the week with my pushups and the 45min yoga linked above done.  

My only complaint from the total body deep stretch video is I cannot do the poses with weight on the top of the knee.  I hurt my knees years ago doing flooring in my house w/out kneepads and now can't put weight on my knees like that.  I did them for a second, just to prove I could, but the burning under my kneecaps told me to stop.  Oh well.  

It’s so true. And here’s the thing, in short bursts, you can even enjoy the good stuff NOT in moderation. You can go totally bananas for a day. Or several days. Or a week.  It’s a long term game. It helps us to track calories daily, but really it’s calories weekly or even monthly that make us look how we look. 

So live your life, enjoy some stuff, just don’t be stupid. God this is so damn easy when you have clarity. 
it's a miracle!  welcome to the easy life.  sort of...congrats dude 

hey all...been a minute.  i've been skiing a lot.  hit 30 days, for the season, on saturday.  i'm hoping to squeeze in one more trip in march.  we'll see.

wife and i are committing to a healthy march and beyond.  due to being on vacation, for most of the last 2 months.   :banned:   ski vacation upside?  is that our desire for a healthy march, is not weight related.   :lmao:   when i'm burning 1700-2400 active calories a day skiing, i can eat and drink everything.  we just enjoy life more, when living healthier.

logged 4.5 miles today of walk/run/hike  

I would recommend the following, ranked in a rough top-to-bottom order:

• Yoga with Kassandra - probably my overall favorite Youtube yoga teacher, good well-rounded practices
Did a 30-min Intermediate flow.  I may have overshot my abilities a bit, I need to stick to the beginner series.  That was tough.  Good but tough.

I do like Kass' style.  It's very 'move here', 'move here'.  Not much instruction, just get into this triangle by dropping this hand and hold for X breaths.  I'm still fond of Adriene so will be bouncing back and forth.  

My only complaint from the total body deep stretch video is I cannot do the poses with weight on the top of the knee.  I hurt my knees years ago doing flooring in my house w/out kneepads and now can't put weight on my knees like that.  I did them for a second, just to prove I could, but the burning under my kneecaps told me to stop.  Oh well.  
Could be worth investing in some yoga knee pads.  I have an arthritic knee and use the foam ones for certain kneeling poses that are tough on the knee.  There are gel ones as well but I've never used them.

Could be worth investing in some yoga knee pads.  I have an arthritic knee and use the foam ones for certain kneeling poses that are tough on the knee.  There are gel ones as well but I've never used them.
You may or may not know this answer, but is there anything for your feet? I have high arches that I have to target stretch before exercising. Even with that on a few yoga moves they will cramp.

madshot31 said:
You may or may not know this answer, but is there anything for your feet? I have high arches that I have to target stretch before exercising. Even with that on a few yoga moves they will cramp.
Honestly, I don't know on this one.  I haven't had those problems so I'm not sure.

madshot31 said:
i have cramping issues and high arches as well.  keep at it.  they will loosen up over time.

@Poke_4_Life i have knee issues too.  i probably should get some specialized knee pads.  i use pillows, blankets, whatever i can grab quickly.  and if it's too much, i bail or alter the pose to accommodate my glorious knees.

One week in and the scale says down 6 pounds.  Based on calories, I think there was a legitimate 3 pound loss and another 3 in water weight, due to the inherent drop in carbs.  Nice start - I'll take it in stride... should help offset any bad weeks.

Not exercising yet but pain in the foot/ankle is lessened.  Hoping that, by this time next week, I can bump the activity level.

Really enjoy eating.  Natural foods have included fruits (banana, orange, berries), chicken, steak, beans, nuts, seeds and a good mix of vegetables that have found their way into salads, omelettes, stir-fry or a homemade soup/chili. Snacks include plain Greek Yogurt with fresh fruit added; rediscovering teas in the evening.  Really not omitting anything from the diet - looking for balance and even had fish and chips on Friday but substituted rice for the fries and saved 1/2 for lunch, when I could have eaten the whole meal out of habit.

Not using an app or counting calories but I did set a rough target of 1,500 a day.  Figured, I would track and adjust, as needed.  Over the first five days, I tracked meticulously and was pretty consistent around the 1,300 level.  Not hungry so that number is fine...  Curiously, protein and fat intake were virtually dead even and "net" carbs were in the 70-80 range.  Not tracking religiously now as think I'm in that same range and I'm not worried about deficit or surplus.  I'll trust the scale.
My second week weight loss is just 0.4 pounds.  Probably introduced some carbs with flourless bread as I strive for a well balanced diet.  Certainly never hungry and, overall, am eating very healthy.  Weight moving in the right direction and I'm willing to be patient.  First weeks weight loss was well above pace so maybe this is things leveling off.

No alcohol in two weeks... not against it and might imbibe a little Whiskey except, sometimes, you just need to take some time off.  I'm sure some of you can understand.

Foot feeling much better;  Gave it a couple extra rest days to avoid a "weekend warrior" incident.  Suspect that, as exercise is ramped up, I'll get into a weight loss groove.

Did another Kass' yoga session today after 135 pushups.  This one was about 45mins and called Energy Boost and Detox.  Lots of twisting stuff and it was tough.  Side stands, boats, lizard legs, etc.  No balancing, very little 'flow' or vinyasas.  I was looking for a little detox because I decided to have some booze on a random Tuesday night.   :shrug:  It seemed to do the job.  Lots of the poses had me shaking pretty good.  

Some are cheating on us with another thread; some are cheating on Adriene with another yoga instructor.  Have you no decency?

OK, setting that aside, can anyone explain to me why I'm more likely to do three 20-minute yogas than one 40-minute session?  I've wanted to turn to fred's latest 40-minute recommendation, but I haven't felt the energy for it.  I did, however, just do three 17-19 minute ones in a row.  :loco:  

Not sure I'll have much success this week due to the amount of lasagna at my house through no fault of my own, but I did complete 5+ miles of walking before 9 a.m. today plus those three yogas.  I'm also hoping that getting a haircut yesterday will have helped with my weight loss.

Last edited by a moderator:
krista4 said:
Some are cheating on us with another thread; some are cheating on Adriene with another yoga instructor.  Have you no decency?

OK, setting that aside, can anyone explain to me why I'm more likely to do three 20-minute yogas than one 40-minute session?  I've wanted to turn to fred's latest 40-minute recommendation, but I haven't felt the energy for it.  I did, however, just do three 17-19 minute ones in a row.  :loco:  

Not sure I'll have much success this week due to the amount of lasagna at my house through no fault of my own, but I did complete 5+ miles of walking before 9 a.m. today plus those three yogas.  I'm also hoping that getting a haircut yesterday will have helped with my weight loss.
Going to be honest, when scrolling the boards I honestly can't tell the difference until who I see is inside each thread. I basically treat them the same. Is there a different objective for one than the other, if so, I have missed that.

For the 20 minute vs 40 minute, it has to be a time block thing in our heads. I can always squeeze 20 minutes into my night even if I just got off working 10 hours, making dinner, doing the chores, letting the wifey do work stuff, as she typical starts work a few hours later than me and ends later. But, 40 minutes can be tough to plan around if I want to settle down from the life routine before 9PM, either that or I have to cut something. I do the same with my 30 minute spin rides instead of 45 or 60 minute ones. When I do them I feel great and love them, but they are tougher to sneak in without ramifications. 

Keep up the good work! 🤙

I've been staying mostly in this thread because it's where I started at last year.  I've posted in the other thread once or twice early on only to discuss what I did last year and the results.  

I mainly use this to post workout and yoga thoughts.

Did Kassandra's 1 hour beginner yoga today.  

It starts off easy, and there's a lot of basic instruction that seemed overly redundant for me.  Then it got much harder.  Lots of time spent in warrior poses and some tree poses.  Deep back, hip, and leg stretches thrown in.  I opted for the 'harder' options the whole way through and was definitely gassed by the end.  

I will keep this in the rotation. 

Keep up the good work.  

krista4 said:

Hey look who said too much pushup talk in this thread then called me a cheater for starting a new thread and now wants to follow my yoga recommendations.

Got my 2nd Covid shot yesterday and being the ####### that I am, I made the mistake of attempting 100 pushups later that night.  I completed 75 and went to sleep behind by 125.  By the time I got to bed, my left upper arm felt like an elephant stomped on it.  I still can barely move it at all and now starting to feel chills.  Long day of work ahead as well.  Needless to say, there will be no exercise for me today (perhaps a walk if it warms up).  So I'll need to make up 225 pushups by tomorrow and who knows if I'll physically be able to do anything by then.    :sadbanana:

Went back to my boo today.  Yoga for weight loss - Healthy Energy Flow with Adriene  :wub:  (and Benji).

I haven't done any of her weight loss series before and wanted a shorter session, this was 36 mins.  It seemed pretty basic and overall not all that hard, but then she ripped my abs apart at the end.  I was sweaty by the end, so it was good enough.  Probably will avoid that series in the future tho, seems too 'simple'.  

Went back to my boo today.  Yoga for weight loss - Healthy Energy Flow with Adriene  :wub:  (and Benji).

I haven't done any of her weight loss series before and wanted a shorter session, this was 36 mins.  It seemed pretty basic and overall not all that hard, but then she ripped my abs apart at the end.  I was sweaty by the end, so it was good enough.  Probably will avoid that series in the future tho, seems too 'simple'.  
That's one of the shorter weight loss ones, I think you chose the worst one.  I don't remember the names but i think its total body workout and deepen and flow which are both an hour and then abs arms and attitude and balance routine are both good too.  I've been posting links and summaries to these then krista calls me a cheater and you ignore me I'm starting to feel unloved

That's one of the shorter weight loss ones, I think you chose the worst one.  I don't remember the names but i think its total body workout and deepen and flow which are both an hour and then abs arms and attitude and balance routine are both good too.  I've been posting links and summaries to these then krista calls me a cheater and you ignore me I'm starting to feel unloved
you left us bro....

you got all sorts a paramours in that other thread

💔

Going to be honest, when scrolling the boards I honestly can't tell the difference until who I see is inside each thread. I basically treat them the same. Is there a different objective for one than the other, if so, I have missed that.

For the 20 minute vs 40 minute, it has to be a time block thing in our heads. I can always squeeze 20 minutes into my night even if I just got off working 10 hours, making dinner, doing the chores, letting the wifey do work stuff, as she typical starts work a few hours later than me and ends later. But, 40 minutes can be tough to plan around if I want to settle down from the life routine before 9PM, either that or I have to cut something. I do the same with my 30 minute spin rides instead of 45 or 60 minute ones. When I do them I feel great and love them, but they are tougher to sneak in without ramifications. 

Keep up the good work! 🤙
I think the bolded is correct.  I just have this mental block during the week that I can't spend 40-60 minutes, though then I end up doing a few in a row and hit that time anyway.  I do check work email in between sessions to make sure I can spare more time.  :(  

Got my 2nd Covid shot yesterday and being the ####### that I am, I made the mistake of attempting 100 pushups later that night.  I completed 75 and went to sleep behind by 125.  By the time I got to bed, my left upper arm felt like an elephant stomped on it.  I still can barely move it at all and now starting to feel chills.  Long day of work ahead as well.  Needless to say, there will be no exercise for me today (perhaps a walk if it warms up).  So I'll need to make up 225 pushups by tomorrow and who knows if I'll physically be able to do anything by then.    :sadbanana:
Congrats on getting the shot, though!  :thumbup:  

Happy you got vaccinated but that sounds painful. 

I think the bolded is correct.  I just have this mental block during the week that I can't spend 40-60 minutes, though then I end up doing a few in a row and hit that time anyway.  I do check work email in between sessions to make sure I can spare more time.  :(  
Oh to be sure, I often check email during longer yoga sessions. Or even just move my mouse to see if I have any new messages or emails to read and respond to. It may take my focus away or change my breath thoughts but it is better than not doing yoga. 

Who are you? Are you new here?

(This post is sponsored by Friday night bourbon.)

I could have waited until the wind died down and the sun came up, but I have stuff to do and was out there shortly after sunrise. The bracing cold and wind drove me to an 18:49 pace.

The scale says I gained 3.7 pounds this week. Set points are real. :kicksrock:

However, I insist on positive spin. I'm still 5.1 pounds less than I was three weeks ago. Perhaps this is the week we resume normal service.

So I've been a bit lax on the rower the last couple of months after a strong start in October-December. (this is TLEF by the way....for 1 more week until my absurd 2+ month TO is over) Work was busy and I had a couple of minor injuries and probably a little bit of seasonal depression. But I'm back at it again and trying to use Asensei to ramp back up and keep my workout fresh.

I started with the Eric Murray beginner program and it seems pretty clear that despite the break I took, its probably just too casual for me. Even turning the damper settings up to like a 6, I just can't force myself to go SLOW enough at the start of the ladder workouts. Going less than 26 strokes per minute is a total snooze fest. So I struggle to stay at that pace unless i barely pull on the handle at all. Any sort of drive at all and there's just no way I'm going less than 26 (let alone 20).  So I can get through like 3/4 of the workout without any effort at all.

I think part of it is that Murray is much taller than me (I'm 5'11 and he's like 6'5) so he's got a lot longer to go.  So I guess my question is....does it get hard enough that its gonna be worth it or should I just jump to one of the other plans on the ap?

I honestly just have no idea how he goes so slow on the way down. It feels like he's recovering FOREVER. No matter how hard I try, I'm back at the bottom of the stroke in like half the time he is. I'm sure part of is experience and core stability/practice, but to me, its just going REALLY slow.

Tall guys suck.

Users who are viewing this thread