What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (9 Viewers)

Just finished a 55 min Vin to Yin session with Kassandra.

To be blunt I didn't like it.  The first half is a quite challenging flow that featured standing splits and star poses (side stand with top leg raised).  The second half is the Yin session and it had only a handful of deep stretches held for about 3mins each.  I just didn't like the combination of having a full on sweat from a tough flow then going to slow stretches.  Not really sure I like Yin yoga at all, but I feel it has it's place.  For me tho, I want a tough workout or a deep stretch not both in one hour.

Wow everyone is bringing it in this thread.  I did 150 pushups and a 30 minute body combat.  Easing my way back into it after the rough Covid shot experience.  On another note, I ate like crap today.

I’ve read a ton of the posts you guys made about yoga but never really paid attention - going to try and find one for my wife and I to do.  Suggestions for (extreme) beginners one -and/or couples??  I tried looking in the thread but came up empty.  TIA.

I’ve read a ton of the posts you guys made about yoga but never really paid attention - going to try and find one for my wife and I to do.  Suggestions for (extreme) beginners one -and/or couples??  I tried looking in the thread but came up empty.  TIA.
Pretty much everyone in this thread started with Yoga with adriene and specifically her original 2015 series called 30 days of yoga which eases you into it.  She doesn't make you go especially hard, but you get a good workout. She explains things well and knows when to pause so you can rest for a moment.  She's also quirky fun and easy on the eyes but not quite enough to get you in trouble for suggesting it.  Most of the videos are about 20 to 30 minutes and pretty 

When I started I didn't think there was that much difference between yoga videos and didn't know why you'd need more than one but there definitely are. She introduces a couple new poses a day but does a lot of the old standbys so you don't feel overwhelmed. 

Weather and schedule conspiring against me, was able to get in a mile+ in three laps around the complex. Might still reach exercise goal for the week tomorrow.

Pretty much everyone in this thread started with Yoga with adriene and specifically her original 2015 series called 30 days of yoga which eases you into it.  She doesn't make you go especially hard, but you get a good workout. She explains things well and knows when to pause so you can rest for a moment.  She's also quirky fun and easy on the eyes but not quite enough to get you in trouble for suggesting it.  Most of the videos are about 20 to 30 minutes and pretty 

When I started I didn't think there was that much difference between yoga videos and didn't know why you'd need more than one but there definitely are. She introduces a couple new poses a day but does a lot of the old standbys so you don't feel overwhelmed. 

Most of us started with Yoga with Adriene and her 30 day series.
Thank you guys too.  This is something I’ve talked about doing off and on for a while so hoping it’s something we can do together 

Thank you guys too.  This is something I’ve talked about doing off and on for a while so hoping it’s something we can do together 
Warning:  no matter which one you choose, for some reason her Day 6 always seems to be very difficult, out of nowhere.  So don't be discouraged if you hit Day 6 and think wtf.  It gets easier again after that.

Last edited by a moderator:
In 2017-2018 I lost close to 90 pounds, with a lot of support from in here. Maintained it for a long time, only crept back up 10-15 pounds. Then with the last year, I just stopped caring. Now I've gained 80 of it back.   :(  

I'm so embarrassed to be posting in here again. I looked up my old logs, and I want to cry that I put in all that effort only to give it all back over the last year. 

Posting helped me stick with it the first time. So here we go again.

March 12:   281 lbs  

krista4 said:
Warning:  no matter which one you choose, for some reason her Day 6 always seems to be very difficult, out of nowhere.  So don't be discouraged if you hit Day 6 and think wtf.  It gets easier again after that.
It's because she does six pack abs on day six. 

Those core workouts are the reason I get out of bed in the morning. Not because I'm excited to do them but because I previously lacked the strength to sit up. 

In 2017-2018 I lost close to 90 pounds, with a lot of support from in here. Maintained it for a long time, only crept back up 10-15 pounds. Then with the last year, I just stopped caring. Now I've gained 80 of it back.   :(  

I'm so embarrassed to be posting in here again. I looked up my old logs, and I want to cry that I put in all that effort only to give it all back over the last year. 

I started at 284.6 and am working my way down now too.  A few others of us in here. Sucks to give back a big pile of weight but the last year was tough for a lot of us.  I started another weight loss thread and there are a lot of people who post in one or the other or both who are around the same spot you are and a lot who are working it off for the second time too.  Spring is a great time to get back at it, you have the nice weather but also there's so many healthy foods you can grill or make without cooking. 

My absolute favorite low calorie item right now is diced tomatoes, a can of corn (or frozen if you prefer), a can of black beans, diced avocado, cilantro and a lime.  It's great as a salad but I grill chicken and cube it up with that and eat it as a meal, makes a couple good-sized servings and has tons of flavor but it's also awesome for macros and vitamins and is super filling. And the only thing that needs to be cooked is the chicken. 

If you're ambitious, making quesadillas on the grill with mission low carb tortillas, just a little shredded cheese, grilled chicken or shrimp, and some grilled peppers and onions without too much oil... i use a little light soy sauce when i cook the meat and the veggies to bring all the flavors together. So good. 

Really any shrimp or scallops- tons of protein almost no calories. 

Raspberries.  So fiber. Much wow. 

Really any berries are good in the summer. 

Halo top ice cream.  Check out the calories fiber and protein. They use non sugar sweeteners but you can't tell because they use a little of each so you don't get that aftertaste. Delicious once in a while. 

Summer is an awesome time to get back to this.  You've done this before you'll do it again.  Rooting for you GB 

Welcome back, and no reason to be embarrassed.  It's been a bizarre and difficult 12 months for everyone.  You lost it before and you can do it again!

I’m pretty sure you and I lost a bunch at the same time and while I didn’t give all my gains back, I did let myself go some the last year.  Don’t beat yourself up and start again.  We got your back.

#### ain’t easy bro.  Welcome back. Obviously, you can do it.  Time to get to  work. 

I suspect we've done this one before and I've forgotten, but yesterday's YWA, which I did today, was a 56-minute Shakti Power Yoga.  Sooooo hard on the thighs for me, but I powered through and found it rewarding.  Tons of lunges and warrior poses that are then followed by evil chair poses of various sorts.

I'll weigh in tomorrow but am prepared that it will not have been a good week for me.  If I didn't gain, that would be a huge victory, but I suspect I will have.  It was a bad, bad week from an emotional POV.

I suspect we've done this one before and I've forgotten, but yesterday's YWA, which I did today, was a 56-minute Shakti Power Yoga.  Sooooo hard on the thighs for me, but I powered through and found it rewarding.  Tons of lunges and warrior poses that are then followed by evil chair poses of various sorts.

I'll weigh in tomorrow but am prepared that it will not have been a good week for me.  If I didn't gain, that would be a huge victory, but I suspect I will have.  It was a bad, bad week from an emotional POV.
I remember that one was tough.  I think it had some poses that started with those yogic squats and maybe a seated split?  I haven't done it in quite a while might need to give it another go

I’m not gonna talk about my Friday night - Sunday night. Because that’s the past. Monday is a new day. 

However, note to self: if you keep doing awesome M-F and then give it all back on the weekends, you’re never going to make progress.  Let’s do this. 

I’m not gonna talk about my Friday night - Sunday night. Because that’s the past. Monday is a new day. 

However, note to self: if you keep doing awesome M-F and then give it all back on the weekends, you’re never going to make progress.  Let’s do this. 
I eat things that are NOT on the menu for me from around noon on Saturday to around noon on Sunday. YMMV, but a "window" of carb refeeding makes the next six days tolerable for me. Going from Friday night to Sunday night, however, likely tips the equation the other way.

I eat things that are NOT on the menu for me from around noon on Saturday to around noon on Sunday. YMMV, but a "window" of carb refeeding makes the next six days tolerable for me. Going from Friday night to Sunday night, however, likely tips the equation the other way.
I think this is right. A 24 hour cheat day is surmountable, maybe even helpful. A 48 hour cheat day becomes difficult.  It’s why I’ve stalled for a few weeks. It’s why I keep heading into Friday saying “ok I’m gonna be good this weekend!”, but then, well, weekends. 

This is how it usually goes for me.  Monday through Thursday I have no issues at all staying within my goals.  No booze at all on these days which helps a lot with the other goals.  Friday morning I wake up excited for the weekend (I pretty much hate my job and always look forward to this day).  I start the day off with a healthy breakfast and remain healthy the rest of the day.  Then around 4:00 I crack open my first drink and it all kind of goes to hell from there.  Saturday I wake up, eat a pretty healthy breakfast and do a long workout.  I remain healthy until ~ 4:00 where it goes to hell.  Sunday I get generally get back on track (no booze) but I'm less stringent about the diet compared to the weekdays.  I guess I'm breaking even and I can live with that.  Still a whole lot better than I was a year ago.  :shrug:  

This is how it usually goes for me.  Monday through Thursday I have no issues at all staying within my goals.  No booze at all on these days which helps a lot with the other goals.  Friday morning I wake up excited for the weekend (I pretty much hate my job and always look forward to this day).  I start the day off with a healthy breakfast and remain healthy the rest of the day.  Then around 4:00 I crack open my first drink and it all kind of goes to hell from there.  Saturday I wake up, eat a pretty healthy breakfast and do a long workout.  I remain healthy until ~ 4:00 where it goes to hell.  Sunday I get generally get back on track (no booze) but I'm less stringent about the diet compared to the weekdays.  I guess I'm breaking even and I can live with that.  Still a whole lot better than I was a year ago.  :shrug:  
You're identified your weakness - are you going to apply the effort to improve it? how?

After working out all week and doing tons of yard work on the weekend. We got take out from the local authentic Mexican place that literally gives you about 20oz of fresh salsa and their crazy good thin tortilla chips included. I came in from 6 hours of yardwork and destroyed that thing. It has not clue what was hitting it. Now that I think about it. I believe about 40% of my calories/macros was chips and salsa over the weekend.  

Also I have  found a new hobby in MFP of making custom cardio workouts passives aggressively title the #### jobs the previous home owner skimped out on and/or did wrong that I have to fix. 🤙

I would agree that a day of eating different can help quite a bit. Just don't go overboard, stay in the ballpark.

Same here.  The stress of the week builds up, and then the release Friday at 5, and we open a drink, and can go down a dark path.  Then again there have been times in recent months I have controlled that — I have cracked 2-3 drinks that evening, still tracked calories, and stayed at or close to goal.  

The reality is I’m not going to give up drinking entirely.  And I’m not going to give up the weekend enjoyment entirely either.  But do I need a half a box of Girl Scout cookies on Saturday night?  No.  No I don’t.  I can have one.  Or better yet, none.  But am I willing to have dinner with the family at a restaurant on a Saturday?  You bet, that part isn’t worth giving up for me.

So I think it’s about not being an idiot.  Make smart choices.  Choose the stuff that you enjoy, that brings you some relief, that you look forward to; wipe out the extra stuff that in the end just makes you feel crappy.  That’s how I’m going to try and look at it heading into this coming weekend.

Started off Monday right, and got in a 30 minute row.  I’ll get the dog out for a walk too.  Will continue to remain 500 calories below the MFP allotment this week, and then will have to brace myself to power through a weekend.  To bring that kind of momentum of a clean (even if imperfect) weekend of eating into next Monday would be awesome.  

Did almost 200 pushups today for week 6, day 1.  Trying to decide what to do starting next week as the program will be over.  Interested to hear what others have done.  I recently found some pushup stands (that I didn't know I had) and I was debating on starting over using them, as they seem to make pushups harder for some reason.  If not starting over, a regular routine with the stands for sure as near the end today I start noticing some mild wrist pain.

Went back to YWA and her Total Body Yoga - Deep Stretch today.  This seems to be my go-to on Mondays.  I really, really like that session.  

I didn't do any yoga Friday or Saturday, but did a 35min Kassandra session yesterday, 30 min Vinyasa Yoga for Core & Lower Body Strength.  Kassandra just has this ability to kick my ###.  That session was brutal.  There was side stands, standing splits, chair poses, lots of warrior and high/low lunges.  Plus a decent amount of just ab work, including boat poses with twists.  Even some stretches that I wasn't familiar with.  I was really sore this morning before the deep stretch session.  This one is also kinda sneaky.  There's a good 10mins of warm up plus another 5ish of cooldown, but that middle section, the 'flow' was brutal.  And the ab work was after the flow.  

I didn't do that great on the food this weekend, and drank too much Fri/Sat nights.  Oh well, today is a new day.  

krista4 said:

Well, I hit it right on the mark.  Didn't gain, didn't lose, same as last week to the ounce.  I'll take it.

Went back to YWA and her Total Body Yoga - Deep Stretch today.  This seems to be my go-to on Mondays.  I really, really like that session.  
I still need to try this one.  Or maybe I did it months ago - or last week - and don't remember.

Damn this was tough.  I was doing fine(ish) until the chair poses and twisting prayer poses.  Those were long and I feel out of both sides.  

My absolute favorite low calorie item right now is diced tomatoes, a can of corn (or frozen if you prefer), a can of black beans, diced avocado, cilantro and a lime.  It's great as a salad but I grill chicken and cube it up with that and eat it as a meal, makes a couple good-sized servings and has tons of flavor but it's also awesome for macros and vitamins and is super filling. And the only thing that needs to be cooked is the chicken. 

If you're ambitious, making quesadillas on the grill with mission low carb tortillas, just a little shredded cheese, grilled chicken or shrimp, and some grilled peppers and onions without too much oil... i use a little light soy sauce when i cook the meat and the veggies to bring all the flavors together. So good. 
I have almost all of these ingredianets.  Gonna try this for tomorrow!

If something tastes good I can eat it 5 days in a row.  It just has to be simple to make and taste good.  Otherwise I end up eating cheese and crakers with a bottle of wine for dinner.

Damn this was tough.  I was doing fine(ish) until the chair poses and twisting prayer poses.  Those were long and I feel out of both sides.  
Yeah, that part nearly killed me.  Good one to keep in the rotation when we need a challenge.

I haven't been posting many recommendations since I tend to do 2-3 shorter ones instead of one long one, and most here like the longer practices.  Today, in my usual absence of logic, I decided to forego today's 39-minute session on her calendar as being "too long" but then did yesterday's 24-minute and tomorrow's 17-minute ones.  There was a bit in the 24-minute one, called "Rebirth Yoga," that I really liked - it was three-legged dog then lunge then crescent then back up into three-legged dog.  Felt like a good, full-body workout, and I wish it had gone on longer.  So I do recommend this one mostly for that, though there were some planks and other good stuff, too.  Not super-challenging but fun.

Daylight savings is going to help my fitness immensely. I’m not a morning person and most of my workouts are in the late afternoon/evening.  It’s been so cold at night that it was hard to get motivated to get on the bike. Was able to get a 25 mile bike ride with 1,600 ft elevation in after work and returned home before it got dark

Did 210 pushups for week 6 day 2, then did 45 min Intermediate Vinyasa Yoga for Flexibility with Kassandra.  I would compare this session to the deep body stretch video from YWA.  On my pushup days I tend to opt for a gentler stretching session (as my arms are like jell-o), and this hit the mark.  I'm probably still more loyal to the comparative YWA video, but this hit the spot.  

Keep up the good work.

The app says my walk was .15 mile and about three minutes shorter than yesterday, which seems unlikely but is nothing to stress over. The wind was howling, and the 18:54 pace seems legit enough. The harder the wind blows, the faster my tempo, full stop.
I may have missed it either because of how often I am suspended or because I was late to the party on this thread, but I'm genuinely curious.  What made you go with walking as your primary exercise?

You might be the first person I've ever heard of who tracks their pace while walking.  Do you throw in short bursts of running/jogging to quicken your pace, or do you make an effort to strictly walk?

I may have missed it either because of how often I am suspended or because I was late to the party on this thread, but I'm genuinely curious.  What made you go with walking as your primary exercise?

You might be the first person I've ever heard of who tracks their pace while walking.  Do you throw in short bursts of running/jogging to quicken your pace, or do you make an effort to strictly walk?
A year and a day ago, the gym was closed, and I was low on options. I started a loop around the neighborhood, using an app that came installed on my ancient phone. Since no two walks are tracked exactly the same, lol, I started using mile pace as a rough gauge of effort. I may be staring 60 in the face, but if I can't walk faster than 3 mph, I might as well get a fanny pack and a scooter.

Anything that looks like jogging is just a steep downslope I had to negotiate. I'm the fat bum going almost three miles a little bit faster than I can gracefully manage.

A year and a day ago, the gym was closed, and I was low on options. I started a loop around the neighborhood, using an app that came installed on my ancient phone. Since no two walks are tracked exactly the same, lol, I started using mile pace as a rough gauge of effort. I may be staring 60 in the face, but if I can't walk faster than 3 mph, I might as well get a fanny pack and a scooter.

Anything that looks like jogging is just a steep downslope I had to negotiate. I'm the fat bum going almost three miles a little bit faster than I can gracefully manage.
Isn't 3mph the average walking speed?  Most of my hikes are with the wife and kids slowing me down, but my average pace on the last few hikes I've done is like 2.5mph.... granted there are hills involved too.  Seems like you're walking faster than the target, but you shouldn't beat yourself up over walking slower than 3mph.

Users who are viewing this thread