What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (13 Viewers)

Haven't been exercising since I've been back, but I went to the credit union and the bank at lunch on consecutive days and passed on the variety of fast-food choices available. I would normally go back to walking on Saturday after vacation, but I have an errand involving manual labor, and I'll need to save my strength for that.

Redwes25 said:
Now that I am fully tracking activities again which I haven't done since early 2020, I noticed a huge difference that I hadn't realized I was missing but should have.  How many steps I take a day. 

For the last week I have been averaging between 3k and 4k.  A year ago with my commute I did 10k pretty much every working day given how much I walked to and from the subway and in Manhattan generally.  Much more stuck in my house here in Brooklyn even now unless I head out specifically for a workout.  So while I haven't really decreased my workout activities in the last year I have indirectly decreased them by being home so much more.  Need to rethink this a bit.  
This has hit me too. 8-10k steps regularly every weekday versus 3k or so now. The commute, as much as I hated it, definitely forced me to walk a whole lot more. 

I'm back.  Didn't keep up with anything as well as I should have on vacation.  It wasn't the days when I was somewhere, but I forgot how much time I'd be driving.  After a 12-hour or 7-hour drive (the past two Saturdays), I'm just not walking or doing yoga.

Got back last night and did about 70 minutes of yoga today, but still not much walking.  Why are vacations so exhausting?

Tomorrow I'll weigh in and see how bad it is, and then get back on the yoga and walking trains.  But more importantly, eating better and drinking a whole lot less again.  I think I'll re-join WW for two months just to help get rid of this 15 pounds or so.  Tracking, as we've discussed ad infinitum in this thread, really does help.

Nice work all. 

I did the thing I didn’t want to do, which is my usual weekends where I just eat and drink a bunch of garbage. By Sunday I always feel so awful that I can’t wait for salads and water and exercise. Weekends gonna weekend. 

Back on it as of last night.  By midweek I’ll be back down to the weight I was at at the end of last week. Need to eventually solve for this otherwise I’ll be stalled because by my count there are still lots more weekends before summer....

Rode 33 miles yesterday for an active 1,900 calories burned.  Then had a plant-based dinner of whole wheat orzo loaded up with grilled vegetables and didn't even drink a beer.

I think I need to dial back the mountain biking and get back to where I started my journey with more pavement cycling.  The mountain biking is super fun, but very difficult.  I always wake up the next morning sore whereas yesterday I burned the same amount of calories as a big mountain bike ride, but feel like I could go do it again right now.  I suppose one style builds more muscle and the other keeps me more lean. 

Not a good weekend for me.  Ate worse than normal, as we had take away twice and drank like a fish.  At least I was very active both days.  

Going to eat well and stay sober this week.  Off to a solid start so far.  Did my full-body stretch YWA already and walked the dog.  Really needed the stretch after doing lots of yard work this weekend and being very sore this morning.

This is going to be a good and healthy week.  

Down 4.5lbs in first week.  First week is always the easiest but off to a good start.  Also, WW really works (assume other tracking systems do as well).  
I rejoined this morning for three months.  The tracking really does help so much, as I only rejoined after lunch and didn't realize how much I'd already screwed myself when it came to dinner.  Which plan are you on?  The first time, I was on Blue, but I went through the series of questions today to analyze, and it recommended Green, which gives more daily points but fewer zero-point foods.  I'm going to try that one.

Seems like a lot of us had bad weekends, but we are starting fresh again today!  I did a 30-minute YWA and got my 4+ miles in, and I'm committed to staying within my points today.

Oh, weigh-in report:  when I rejoined WW, it showed my last weigh-in as having been 6/8/20.  At that point, I'd maintained for 2-3 months after hitting my low weight.  I did maintain for a few more months before going off the rails about six months ago.  I've gained 17 pounds, representing about 1/3 of what I initially lost.  So my goal is set to slightly outdo my last low reading:  I will lose 18 pounds and then go back to maintenance.

Last edited by a moderator:
I rejoined this morning for three months.  The tracking really does help so much, as I only rejoined after lunch and didn't realize how much I'd already screwed myself when it came to dinner.  Which plan are you on?  The first time, I was on Blue, but I went through the series of questions today to analyze, and it recommended Green, which gives more daily points but fewer zero-point foods.  I'm going to try that one.

Seems like a lot of us had bad weekends, but we are starting fresh again today!  I did a 30-minute YWA and got my 4+ miles in, and I'm committed to staying within my points today.

Oh, weigh-in report:  when I rejoined WW, it showed my last weigh-in as having been 6/8/20.  At that point, I'd maintained for 2-3 months after hitting my low weight.  I did maintain for a few more months before going off the rails about six months ago.  I've gained 17 pounds, representing about 1/3 of what I initially lost.  So my goal is set to slightly outdo my last low reading:  I will lose 18 pounds and then go back to maintenance.
17 pounds given back really isn’t bad when you lost 3x that.  You got this. 

Good day. Didn’t track but didn’t eat much and didn’t snack. Salmon, rice and asparagus for dinner, along with one (1) white wine spritzer before switching to water. Maintained no calories after 8pm.  Alarm set to hit the gym at 5.  Lesgo. 
I like this idea and will adopt it, too.  K, gotta go right now because I only have three minutes to shove as much food in my mouth as possible.

I like this idea and will adopt it, too.  K, gotta go right now because I only have three minutes to shove as much food in my mouth as possible.
I believe it’s the closest I’ll have to a silver bullet.  The evening couch drinking and snacking is what rocks me.  But yeah, a few times I’ve been in the kitchen looking at the clock at a quarter to eight thinking “last call,” and considering pouring a nice tall alcoholic drink with a side of donuts.  So far I’ve been pretty good about that though.  So far.

This morning I didn’t make it to the gym, mostly because in the middle of the night Mrs. O woke me up to a leak in the ceiling over our bed (we use one of those white noise machines with the rain sound while we sleep, so it was pretty perfect), and it chopped down my available to sleep time to 4 hours if I got up at my usual gym time.  So, gym TOMORROW; today I’ll at least get the dog out for a walk.

Staying the course on calories and eating well.  Summer is coming, summer is coming.

PS, in addition to Bud Select 55, which I know folks believe is pretty terrible, I’ve discovered this light IPA from Peak called “Slim Hazy.”  It’s 95 calories and tastes like actual beer; even for folks who tend to think IPAs are a little too bitter, it’s a light, mellow IPA.  It’s the closest I’ve found to feeling like I’m drinking an actual beer at under 100 calories.  Perfect summer beer hack.  I’ll be keeping it stocked.   

PS, in addition to Bud Select 55, which I know folks believe is pretty terrible, I’ve discovered this light IPA from Peak called “Slim Hazy.”  It’s 95 calories and tastes like actual beer; even for folks who tend to think IPAs are a little too bitter, it’s a light, mellow IPA.  It’s the closest I’ve found to feeling like I’m drinking an actual beer at under 100 calories.  Perfect summer beer hack.  I’ll be keeping it stocked.   
Deschutes Brewery Wowza! Lo-Cal Hazy Pale Ale and Lagunitas Daytime IPA are two great options if you can find them on the East coast. Both have flavor and are great summer beers for drinkability and clock in at 100 and 98 calories.

Was good yesterday, stayed sober and under calories.  Even slept really well.  (When I drink I sleep poorly.)

Just got off the mat this morning.  Did a YWA 45-min Renewal session from last week. Very different session for me, lots of groundwork for hips/glutes.  Gonna have that JLo booty in no time!  I did enjoy it as it was fairly challenging, even without having a lot of 'flow'.  This is probably the most current date YWA session I've done, so I was happy to see Benji is still chilling near the mat.  

Keep it up.  

Was good yesterday, stayed sober and under calories.  Even slept really well.  (When I drink I sleep poorly.)

Just got off the mat this morning.  Did a YWA 45-min Renewal session from last week. Very different session for me, lots of groundwork for hips/glutes.  Gonna have that JLo booty in no time!  I did enjoy it as it was fairly challenging, even without having a lot of 'flow'.  This is probably the most current date YWA session I've done, so I was happy to see Benji is still chilling near the mat.  

Keep it up.  
I did this one Sunday.  I liked that there were some different bits to it.  The time seemed to move quickly.

Staying the course here (mostly) on Day Two back into WW.  Did my yoga and 4+ miles.  Kept within my points well enough to allow for a glass of wine after a particularly ####ty workday today.  Ok, two glasses.

krista4 said:
I did this one Sunday.  I liked that there were some different bits to it.  The time seemed to move quickly.

Staying the course here (mostly) on Day Two back into WW.  Did my yoga and 4+ miles.  Kept within my points well enough to allow for a glass of wine after a particularly ####ty workday today.  Ok, two glasses.
It’s like looking into a mirror. 

Good day yesterday with no junk food and ate a bunch of salads, walked the dog, no alcohol.  Up and at the gym at 5 this morning for leg press/chest/shoulders/arms.  My usual breakfast (Scandinavian crisp bread and peanut butter).  Nice weather today, will get the dog out for a walk at some point.  Let’s go get ‘em.

Was under calories and off booze again yesterday.  Two whole days in a row!

Just got off the mat.  Decided to shake it up a bit.  I did Yoga with Tim Transform Day 1.  Since I stopped doing pushups I feel like I need a little more strength building in my yoga sessions.  This session was a lot of the typical moves, vinyasas, warriors, tree pose, even some boat at the end.  I don't know what it was that was harder, but I ended up shaking pretty good during the boats at the end and definitely struggled with some of the harder options for the vinyasas.  Seemed to be a good change.  He also says this series will have a bit of strength training with some bands, so I'm looking forward to that as well.  His style is quite a bit different from Adriene or Kassandra.  He speaks in an almost trance-like manner and there's no quirky moments like YWA.  I think I will stick with this series and do the 30 day challenge.  (It was released in January of this year.)

I've been debating on moving to yoga 3 days a week and strength training 3 days a week, but for some of the bodyweight exercises I want to do I will need some equipment for my home.  This series with Tim will fill that void until I decide on the next approach.  

Keep up the good work.

Been going strong with the push-ups - averaging 100 a day since beginning of December (minus ~ 4 days after my 2nd covid shot where I couldn't move my arm).  I've been still routinely doing body combat/body pump but have to admit that it's starting to get a bit routine.  Now that the weather is getting nicer, I'm thinking of testing my knees out and starting up a little running again (and biking as well).  Perhaps I'll start up yoga again (I'm inspired by @krista4 and @Poke_4_Life).  Definitely also continuing the push-ups.  

I don't drink anymore from Sunday through Thursday (since the New Year started) but drink too much on the other 2 days.  Overall my diet is pretty good but I still snack a little too much.  I'm not doing the 8 pm thing - I need me some night time ice cream from time to time!  My sodium level are in check as my blood pressure is now completely normal.  I have my first physical in 1 and a half years coming up.  I've lost a good bit of weight since then so hoping that translates to better counts all around.  Still nervous though.  

My sodium level are in check as my blood pressure is now completely normal.  I have my first physical in 1 and a half years coming up.  I've lost a good bit of weight since then so hoping that translates to better counts all around.  Still nervous though.  
Awesome job on that. 

I've taken a little time off from  the push ups and yoga because I'm increasing the running quite a bit now.  If you're looking for some friendly competition let me know.

I always do the Green plan as I like the more points vs. longer list of no point items in the other plans.  It always recommends the middle plan to me (forget the color) but Green works best for me as I feel like it gives me the most flexability to cheat (within the system) and the zero point plans items are very cheap on a point basis.

Awesome job on that. 

I've taken a little time off from  the push ups and yoga because I'm increasing the running quite a bit now.  If you're looking for some friendly competition let me know.
Are we going to lose you to the 10k thread?  Those dudes are crazy af.

Another good day today. Didn’t track but again didn’t really eat much either. Usual breakfast, salad for lunch, a few taco shells and ground chicken for dinner.  A few small pieces of dark chocolate for dessert and one (1) white wine spritzer, now switching to water post 8pm.  Gym at 5am this morning, dog walk mid day. Need a good night of sleep tonight, tomorrow may be a rest and walk day or maybe even a row, we’ll see. 

Will this be the weekend I finally keep the momentum going??  We shall see. 

Another good day today. Didn’t track but again didn’t really eat much either. Usual breakfast, salad for lunch, a few taco shells and ground chicken for dinner.  A few small pieces of dark chocolate for dessert and one (1) white wine spritzer, now switching to water post 8pm.  Gym at 5am this morning, dog walk mid day. Need a good night of sleep tonight, tomorrow may be a rest and walk day or maybe even a row, we’ll see. 

Will this be the weekend I finally keep the momentum going??  We shall see. 
Since you've quit snacking after 8, do you ever feel hungry at night?  I can't tell if I'm actually hungry or my brain is just convincing me that I am because in reality I'm bored.  

I always do the Green plan as I like the more points vs. longer list of no point items in the other plans.  It always recommends the middle plan to me (forget the color) but Green works best for me as I feel like it gives me the most flexability to cheat (within the system) and the zero point plans items are very cheap on a point basis.
Blue is the middle one, which is what I did before.

Turns out you can eat a lot of sushi (I mostly avoid the rice) and stay in your WW points, even if you add some wine.  :wub:  

This week's YWA on her calendar are all bedtime-type yogas, stuff to do to wind down. Since I never do yoga at night, I'm skipping those for now and poking around with later parts of the April calendar.  Today I did the 27-minute Confidence Boost Yoga, not because I needed a confidence boost but because I was looking for something ~30 minutes.  Apparently confidence boosts for Adriene include a dozen minutes of difficult one-legged balance poses, an optional headstand, and crow, among other things.  Yeah, I really felt better about myself after failing at all of that.  :loco:  

I think the sushi and wine hack is going to get Otis' attention.

A light mist fell throughout my walk, and it was very windy. Although wind usually makes me faster, my pace was 19:10. Just not that comfortable in the dark, a problem which will resolve itself by the end of the month.

Blue is the middle one, which is what I did before.

Turns out you can eat a lot of sushi (I mostly avoid the rice) and stay in your WW points, even if you add some wine.  :wub:  

This week's YWA on her calendar are all bedtime-type yogas, stuff to do to wind down. Since I never do yoga at night, I'm skipping those for now and poking around with later parts of the April calendar.  Today I did the 27-minute Confidence Boost Yoga, not because I needed a confidence boost but because I was looking for something ~30 minutes.  Apparently confidence boosts for Adriene include a dozen minutes of difficult one-legged balance poses, an optional headstand, and crow, among other things.  Yeah, I really felt better about myself after failing at all of that.  :loco:  
I'm confident in which option i will choose when given an option to do a headstand

fred_1_15301 said:
Since you've quit snacking after 8, do you ever feel hungry at night?  I can't tell if I'm actually hungry or my brain is just convincing me that I am because in reality I'm bored.  
Good question, I'm not sure.  I do find that suddenly now I need to eat breakfast in the morning.  I haven't eaten breakfast for years.  Probably because I was shoveling cartfuls into my pie hole just before going to sleep.  No wonder I wasn't hungry in the morning...   I much prefer the not eating after 8, sleeping on a more empty stomach, and waking up to some coffee and a light breakfast.

Good question, I'm not sure.  I do find that suddenly now I need to eat breakfast in the morning.  I haven't eaten breakfast for years.  Probably because I was shoveling cartfuls into my pie hole just before going to sleep.  No wonder I wasn't hungry in the morning...   I much prefer the not eating after 8, sleeping on a more empty stomach, and waking up to some coffee and a light breakfast.
Honestly, the late night food and drinking binges are basically cause of all my weight gain.  Cutting that out is a huge change and like you I wake up and have a light breakfast and regular intact of Coffee.  Hardest part of dieting is resisting those evening binges as a couple of beers and some ####### oreos after I have them sounds amazing.  

ETA - And when I say have some ####### oreos I mean eat at least half the box.

Rode another 26 miles... 13 miles on the road to and from the office, and 13 miles of mountain biking in the evening. Order of operations should have been reversed as my ride home from work was 6.5 miles and I averaged 16mph riding uphill, then had 30 minutes to scarf some food down and get the mountain bike ready to ride.... then my neighbors wanted to climb a brutal hill that doesn’t even have an interesting downhill associated with it. Needless to say, 1,900 active calories burned, Had a few beers afterwards, but ate healthy today. 

going to see the orthopedic guys this morning my back or hip or something is out and I can hardly walk with pain shooting down basically all of my left leg so now diet is more important than ever because my normal strolls and biking is on the shelf brohans my body is quitting on me and it stinks take that to the bank

going to see the orthopedic guys this morning my back or hip or something is out and I can hardly walk with pain shooting down basically all of my left leg so now diet is more important than ever because my normal strolls and biking is on the shelf brohans my body is quitting on me and it stinks take that to the bank
Your body isn't quitting on you and probably the opposite because you've done an amazing job undoing the damage you did to your body when you were younger but part of the price you pay for that is that it's harder to undo that damage later in life than earlier and you've worked so hard to get where you are and improve your heart health and weight and get yourself physically in shape that you probably pushed harder than you should have but just remember that is a much better reason to be in the hospital than another cardiac event and your positive attitude while doing all the walking and biking and cheerios transformation is one of the most impressive things I've seen so keep your eye head up because it is exactly that positivity that will get you better later so I don't want to hear any of that body is quitting on me talk and you can hop that to the bank, slowhan. 

Wow. I really like Yoga with Tim. Transform day 2 really kicked my ###. Probably did more chataranga pushups in that session than I have done in the last month. Also held crow pose for several breaths, that was a first for me. This one had a lot of flow to it, and included lots of lunges and planks and side stands. Something about his style really pushes my 'edge' and I feel like while I continue to get more flexible I am also starting to build strength. 

Keep up the good work all. 

Posting helped me stick with it the first time. So here we go again. 

This week:  259 lbs       Last week:  262 lbs

Change:  -3 lbs               Loss to date:  22 lbs

------------------------------

Target weight:  207 lbs

March 12:   281 lbs  

March 19:   274 lbs

March 26:   270 lbs

April 2:       265 lbs

April 9:      262 lbs

April 16:    259 lbs
Had a good week. Goal was 2 lbs but lost 3.  Saturday day off exercise.  Extended my exercise bike rides to 21-22 miles most days, up from 19 or so, and gradually increasing resistance. Gave myself some rewards Friday and Saturday (friend came in town  and made prime rib!) but then stuck to my calorie totals strictly the rest of the week.

Started using a chipotle aioli on sandwiches. So good. I bought some separate chipotle powder and mixed it in to kick up the heat, so I can use less of it and save about 80 calories that way. 

I'm 40 days in and down 23 lbs on Noom.  I love the green/yellow/red food breakdown.  It's better than counting points or carbs.  It's realistic.  Most of all, it's a psychological app to change the way you view things.  It's gotten me to be more active and really changed my day to day choices across all areas of life, not just eating.
Update on the Noom journey.  Again, at the risk of sounding like a commercial, I've been following it since Mid July.

Starting weight - 257.0
Goal weight - 199.0
Current weight - 198.6

Got to ~205 around December, didn't spike through the holidays and have started shaving off here or there getting more active as spring hits.  Noom basically re-taught me how to think about what I was eating, how much I was eating and how active I was being.  Life changer for sure. 

Update on the Noom journey.  Again, at the risk of sounding like a commercial, I've been following it since Mid July.

Starting weight - 257.0
Goal weight - 199.0
Current weight - 198.6

Got to ~205 around December, didn't spike through the holidays and have started shaving off here or there getting more active as spring hits.  Noom basically re-taught me how to think about what I was eating, how much I was eating and how active I was being.  Life changer for sure. 
That's a fantastic job. Congratulations!!

Wow. I really like Yoga with Tim. Transform day 2 really kicked my ###. Probably did more chataranga pushups in that session than I have done in the last month. Also held crow pose for several breaths, that was a first for me. This one had a lot of flow to it, and included lots of lunges and planks and side stands. Something about his style really pushes my 'edge' and I feel like while I continue to get more flexible I am also starting to build strength. 

Keep up the good work all. 
Yoga with @timschochet?

Users who are viewing this thread