What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (8 Viewers)

wazoo11 said:
Is anyone familiar with the weights offered at a YMCA? 

I know of the cardio (bike, tredmill, yoga etc al ) but am lost on strength/conditioning

I want to lose fat, but also gain muscle mass.  I just feel so lost on where to start, and stick with goals. 

(stuck at 184 lbs ; 5'6 25% bd fat) 

Is three times a week for an hour doable?
I'm a big fan of the reddit community bodyweightfitness.  A gym would be a good place for a lot of their exercises as you need row machines, dip stands, etc.  

Start here.  https://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness/wiki/routines/bwf-primer

There's a lot more reading here and more of a long term build up program as well.  https://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness/wiki/index

3x/week would be perfect.  stay ridiculously light with the weight.  legs and core primarily, to start.  and then with an early focus on big muscle groups.  chest, back, legs.  slow and steady, with serious focus on form.  again, keep the weights light.  isometric exercises would be great to mix things up.
I agree with all this.  2-3 times a week is perfect, and definitely focus on FORM and BIG MUSCLE GROUPS.  That's where you'll make the most progress in building real muscle and strength.  As a younger man I'd go into the gym and spend 30 minutes on different bicep exercises when I should have been doing squats.

As an example, here's what I'm doing these days, or some variant of it, in 30-40 mins a couple times a week.

- Squats or Leg Press (legs)

- Dead lift (legs, back, other)

- Dumbell bench press or dumbell include bench press (chest)

- Some kind of row (either bent over row with dumbells, or using the machine) (back, biceps)

- I will supplement this maybe with a 5th and 6th exercise, like tricep pulldown (if I'm going to spend time on arms, why not the bigger muscles in my arms), and every now and then I'll sprinkle in curls.  But it's last, not first.

Howdy howdy, been a while. I have been in a funk lately as the wifey has been work stressed and that always bleeds over to me as I am the optimist. Things are turning a corner and we are both loving the sunshine. I have been doing lots of yard trench digging for a sprinkler system so I haven't totally ignored working out but did my first Peloton in a week. First time in 14 months I had gone over 5 days without a ride. But I'm back, I'll weigh myself tomorrow and see where the gluten dairy free sad cookies crumble. 

🚴‍♂️

Page 2, what's up w/ that?!?!?!

Yesterday I did Yoga with Tim Transform Day 8.  This one he had a male guest do the poses while he talked.  Seems kinda weak to me, but whatevs.  This one was about activating the feet and started with self foot massages.  Still lots of vinyasa and flows and lots of balancing.  And way too much chair pose torture.  Also added some boat and boat variations at the end.  Pretty tough one.  Maybe that's why he was a lazy ### and let someone else do the poses.  

Today I just completed Yoga with Tim Transform Day 9.  This session was focused on forward bending while keeping the hips and glutes engaged.  Kinda interesting actually.  Again he wimped out and had a female guest do the poses.  Starting to think this yogi is a pansy.  This one had lots of forward folding, including some cross leg chair folding into warrior 3 that was a little crazy.  Also had a crow pose that I was able to hold for the full 5 breaths.  Again a pretty tough session, and I can see why the yogi wimped out and let the girl show how its done.  

Been under my calories every day this week and off the booze.  Have a 3-day weekend coming up and it's my wife's birthday Saturday.  I'm sure the booze will flow, possibly starting tonight but I still plan to hit the mat every day.  

Keep up the good work!

wazoo11 said:
Is anyone familiar with the weights offered at a YMCA? 

I know of the cardio (bike, tredmill, yoga etc al ) but am lost on strength/conditioning

I want to lose fat, but also gain muscle mass.  I just feel so lost on where to start, and stick with goals. 

(stuck at 184 lbs ; 5'6 25% bd fat) 

Is three times a week for an hour doable?
Totally forgot to recommend nerdfitness.  

Our fearless leader recommended it once a long time ago.  For the record, our fearless leader is @bostonfred, not @Otis.

Anyway, that site has tons of good free resources for diet, exercise, etc.  They will try to sell you coaching sessions and stuff, but they have to make money in some manner.  

so i hit the doc yesterday and the report was good i do have 2 or possibly three discs that are torn and contacting the nerve root the two for sure are at l4 l5 and l5 s1 and that is what is giving me leg pain but the doc says that they do not look so bad that i need surgery basically the message is that the torn parts will eventually dissolve and the pain and inflammation in that area are the body trying to dissolve the torn parts so i need to just cowboy up and work through it because the more antiinflammatories i take the less pain i will have but they will also slow down my body dissolving the torn parts doc thought that it would take about 3 months for the discs to dissolve so that is my time frame the other stuff is all degenerative and we are just going to worry about that stuff whenever it needs to be worried about take that to the bank brohans 

so i hit the doc yesterday and the report was good i do have 2 or possibly three discs that are torn and contacting the nerve root the two for sure are at l4 l5 and l5 s1 and that is what is giving me leg pain but the doc says that they do not look so bad that i need surgery basically the message is that the torn parts will eventually dissolve and the pain and inflammation in that area are the body trying to dissolve the torn parts so i need to just cowboy up and work through it because the more antiinflammatories i take the less pain i will have but they will also slow down my body dissolving the torn parts doc thought that it would take about 3 months for the discs to dissolve so that is my time frame the other stuff is all degenerative and we are just going to worry about that stuff whenever it needs to be worried about take that to the bank brohans 
Listen to your doc brohan.  Best of luck w/ this.

Either that or just eat potatoes and do yoga, because we're smarter than all doctors.  (Kidding, obviously.)

Totally forgot to recommend nerdfitness.  

Our fearless leader recommended it once a long time ago.  For the record, our fearless leader is @bostonfred, not @Otis.

Anyway, that site has tons of good free resources for diet, exercise, etc.  They will try to sell you coaching sessions and stuff, but they have to make money in some manner.  
Guys, I'm sorry to say this, but @bostonfred doesn't care about you.  He left.  He went and started some spinoff diet faction to compete with us, and they're over there high fiving and bending over backwards celebrating all the neat stuff they do.  There's no racks of oreos, no fad diets, no booze, no demons.  It's all sappy and terrible.  And they're over there competing with us.  Hell, they're worse than the 10k thread nerds.

No, fred left you.  He left because believes that he and all the other kale guzzling nerds over there are better than we are.  Are we gonna take that sitting down?  I mean, maybe sometimes we will, and sometimes we'll eat oreos while we're sitting down.  Because that's who we are.  But dangit if we can't try.   And maybe even win.  But we'll win on our terms, not being something we aren't

Let's go people.  We got this. 

Guys, I'm sorry to say this, but @bostonfred doesn't care about you.  He left.  He went and started some spinoff diet faction to compete with us, and they're over there high fiving and bending over backwards celebrating all the neat stuff they do.  There's no racks of oreos, no fad diets, no booze, no demons.  It's all sappy and terrible.  And they're over there competing with us.  Hell, they're worse than the 10k thread nerds.

No, fred left you.  He left because believes that he and all the other kale guzzling nerds over there are better than we are.  Are we gonna take that sitting down?  I mean, maybe sometimes we will, and sometimes we'll eat oreos while we're sitting down.  Because that's who we are.  But dangit if we can't try.   And maybe even win.  But we'll win on our terms, not being something we aren't

a freaking men

C'mon, no one is worse than us 10k nerds.

This one he had a male guest do the poses while he talked.  Seems kinda weak to me, but whatevs. 

Again he wimped out and had a female guest do the poses.  Starting to think this yogi is a pansy. 
Don't you talk about my Tim like that!  :hot:

Honestly his doing voiceover for someone else doing poses sounds super lame to me.  I don't even like the couple I've come across where Adriene does voiceover for her own sessions.  Be a man, Tim!

Speaking of being a man, today I did this one that fred previously described as follows:  "If you like the surprise it's not really over yet thing then boy would you like core strength ritual which is 23 minutes but she tricks you because she's a merciless ########## #########."   Fred is obviously a wimp because this session was crazy-easy.

Ahhhhh, wait, what I meant was that it nearly killed me.  Yep, more like that.  She does say "last move" before a forearm plank, but then the "trick" is that she says that was the warmup to the real move, which was side forearm planks that last forever and involve a bunch of "arm up and then thread the needle" stuff.  Think I will be feeling this one tomorrow!

Last edited by a moderator:

That is categorically untrue.  I care about some of them.  So many great people in here like Raiders fan and pokemon and Ken and the bank guy and I really enjoyed this thread until I got kicked out by Kirsten for talking about pushups. 

And yes I do expect you to take this sitting down. The one week each year that you exercise you literally picked an exercise where you sit down and you built your own tv stand so you wouldn't have to crane your neck. 

If it makes you feel better I've eaten Easter candy, tostitos, chick fil a, Mexican takeout, cookies, ice cream, Buffalo chicken and burgers and hot dogs and chicken salad and cheese and crackers and egg sandwiches and so much pizza plus probably a dozen bottles of wine in the last couple weeks. It has been awesome. And, as I told the people in the real weight loss thread, I'm back to it today, even though, as I told the people in the 10k thread, I'm taking it easy after my 9 mile run yesterday. 

Don't you talk about my Tim like that!  :hot:

Honestly his doing voiceover for someone else doing poses sounds super lame to me.  I don't even like the couple I've come across where Adriene does voiceover for her own sessions.  Be a man, Tim!

Speaking of being a man, today I did this one that fred previously described as follows:  "If you like the surprise it's not really over yet thing then boy would you like core strength ritual which is 23 minutes but she tricks you because she's a merciless ########## #########."   Fred is obviously a wimp because this session was crazy-easy.

Ahhhhh, wait, what I meant was that it nearly killed me.  Yep, more like that.  She does say "last move" before a forearm planks, but then the "trick" is that she says that was the warmup to the real move, which was side forearm planks that last forever and involve a bunch of "arm up and then thread the needle" stuff.  Think I will be feeling this one tomorrow!
She was so smug about it too oh man I was so angry.  But those thread the needle planks were a really good workout when the bile in my stomach stopped churning

That is categorically untrue.  I care about some of them.  So many great people in here like Raiders fan and pokemon and Ken and the bank guy and I really enjoyed this thread until I got kicked out by Kirsten for talking about pushups. 

And yes I do expect you to take this sitting down. The one week each year that you exercise you literally picked an exercise where you sit down and you built your own tv stand so you wouldn't have to crane your neck. 

If it makes you feel better I've eaten Easter candy, tostitos, chick fil a, Mexican takeout, cookies, ice cream, Buffalo chicken and burgers and hot dogs and chicken salad and cheese and crackers and egg sandwiches and so much pizza plus probably a dozen bottles of wine in the last couple weeks. It has been awesome. And, as I told the people in the real weight loss thread, I'm back to it today, even though, as I told the people in the 10k thread, I'm taking it easy after my 9 mile run yesterday. 
I’m eye rolling at MOST of this but I’m lolz at the bolded.  

PS I find Thursday nights reaaaaaallllly hard.  It feels so so so Friday Jr.  And I just want to drink all the alcohol under the sun and moon and eat all the snacks that come in bags.

Mrs. O goes to Trader Joe’s and buys stuff that’s like “these taste exactly like cheeze doodles but they’re protein cheeze doodles so it’s fine to eat the whole bag.”  

Friday morning weigh-in to end the week.  

I thought I was pretty good, not perfect, this week, but was hoping to be in the 223-224 range by today. Drum roll.....

225.6. Which is basically my low for the year. 

Now it’s weekend time. Friday and Saturday. I need to win Friday and Saturday....

Posting helped me stick with it the first time. So here we go again. 

This week:  256 lbs       Last week:  259 lbs

Change:  -3 lbs               Loss to date:  25 lbs

------------------------------

Target weight:  207 lbs

March 12:   281 lbs  

March 19:   274 lbs

March 26:   270 lbs

April 2:       265 lbs

April 9:       262 lbs

April 16:     259 lbs

April 25:     256 lbs
Had 2 lbs as my goal but hoping for 3 which I hit. Kept up with the exercise bike, and then Tuesday and Wednesday worked in some 40-50 minutes walks around the neighborhood that I'm going to try to make permanent additions to my routine.

Second vaccination on Wednesday wiped me out Thursday, so was forced to take my rest day early. Feeling better this morning, so hope to hit the bike again at lunch.

Had 2 lbs as my goal but hoping for 3 which I hit. Kept up with the exercise bike, and then Tuesday and Wednesday worked in some 40-50 minutes walks around the neighborhood that I'm going to try to make permanent additions to my routine.

Second vaccination on Wednesday wiped me out Thursday, so was forced to take my rest day early. Feeling better this morning, so hope to hit the bike again at lunch.
Kicking ###.

This is an obvious lie. Fred doesn't drink his wine from bottles. 

You're still a machine in my book.  Jokes aside, kudos to you for getting your life in order.  It's definitely forced me to reflect and change.  

You're still a machine in my book.  Jokes aside, kudos to you for getting your life in order.  It's definitely forced me to reflect and change.  
Thanks man. We both helped each other here the pushups and sodium especially but also the let's try it attitude with stuff like body combat and yoga you're doing awesome.  I feel like we made the best out of 2020-21 and hopefully helped some others to do the same or get started in that direction. 

Friday morning weigh-in to end the week.  

I thought I was pretty good, not perfect, this week, but was hoping to be in the 223-224 range by today. Drum roll.....

225.6. Which is basically my low for the year. 

Now it’s weekend time. Friday and Saturday. I need to win Friday and Saturday....
make a commitment to just not drink one of those days.

Ahhhhh, wait, what I meant was that it nearly killed me.  Yep, more like that.  She does say "last move" before a forearm plank, but then the "trick" is that she says that was the warmup to the real move, which was side forearm planks that last forever and involve a bunch of "arm up and then thread the needle" stuff.  Think I will be feeling this one tomorrow!
I had a little upper ab soreness today but didn't think it was too bad and launched into a moderate 30-minute YWA.  Then...

Adriene:  Now take a deep breath.

Me:  [complies]  Owwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

Did my walk in lovely weather at an 18:48 pace. The scale says I gained 0.2 pounds this week. There were unauthorized cookies Thursday night and no walk on Thursday or Friday, so it's a fair cop. We move on.

Day Two of upper abs hell from Adriene's workout on Thursday.  Now it hurts when I sneeze or laugh, so I've had to avoid the outdoors and mirth.  Maybe I should have taken it easy, but I decided to do her 41-minute Yoga for Creativity that's on the calendar for tomorrow.  It had one interesting and confusing flow sequence at the end, but other than that the highlight was when she suddenly yelled, "Free the Nipple!"  Alas, she did not free hers, so don't get too excited about it.

I don't think all the "do you even lift bro" guys will appreciate this one, but today I enjoyed the 33-minute Balancing Yoga that was on Adriene's calendar yesterday.  I was still suffering from Thursday's yoga and cried during the cow portion of cat-cow, but I liked how this one had a lot of different types of poses, including some I'd never done before.  Warning to those with bad knees that the last bits aren't going to be happy for you.  The "balancing" doesn't mean it's full of balance poses (though it has a couple) but is about balancing push/pull, upward/downward movement, side-to-side, etc.  It's an interesting and fun workout.  Also happened to be the last one filmed in her "old" studio, in 2015.

I don't think all the "do you even lift bro" guys will appreciate this one, but I enjoyed the 33-minute Balancing Yoga that was on Adriene's calendar yesterday.  I was still suffering from Thursday's yoga and cried during the cow portion of cat-cow, but I liked how this one had a lot of different types of poses, including some I'd never done before.  Warning to those with bad knees that the last bits aren't going to be happy for you.  The "balancing" doesn't mean it's full of balance poses (though it has a couple) but is about balancing push/pull, upward/downward movement, side-to-side, etc.  It's an interesting and fun workout.  Also happened to be the last one filmed in her "old" studio, in 2015.
You’re in the fad diet thread with all of us fatties.

Weigh-in day at casa de redwes and down 2lbs last week for total weight loss of of 7lbs. Slow and steady wins the race and will keep trying to plug along this week.

Being honest I didn’t do as well on food tracking and eating as I hoped but did stay away from the Oreo racks and luckily the 50+ miles on the bike last week made up the difference. 

Friday I did Yoga with Tim Transform Day 10.

This morning I did Yoga with Tim Transform Day 11.

I'm going to keep doing this because I can feel myself gaining strength while also gaining flexibility, but man is it getting boring.  Every session is very heavy on vinyasa flows, with chair torture, topped off with side planks and forearm side planks.  Today even had some one leg balance/twists.  Oh, and Tim is a pansy still and had yet ladies show him how it is done on days 10 and 11.  FYI, the day 11 chick seemed quite hot but kept a hoodie on the whole time since they were at the beach and I guess it was cold.  Looks like on day 12 the same girl loses the hoodie.  God I hope so.  

I ate pretty bad this weekend, and skipped yoga Saturday and Sunday as I was doing the suburban yard work stuff and just wanted a break.  I also drank too much.  Rinse/repeat.

Back at it hard this week!

P.S. Ran into a family friend this weekend at the grocery store.  He noticed I had lost weight (haven't seen him in well over a year), so that felt nice.  

Well it's another Monday following a great week and not great weekend.  I went to bed early last night feeling awful from the bad food and alcohol from the preceding 24 hours.  Back in solid ground today.  

Weill this next weekend be the one that I overcome?  I sure hope so.  I'm gonna try.

Well it's another Monday following a great week and not great weekend.  I went to bed early last night feeling awful from the bad food and alcohol from the preceding 24 hours.  Back in solid ground today.  

Weill this next weekend be the one that I overcome?  I sure hope so.  I'm gonna try.
I have not been good the last couple weeks since Easter.  Losing weight hasn't been more important to me than drinking and snacking. The same is true for you.  Every weekend you make a decision and it's not a rational decision but it's definitely what you want. You don't feel any urgency and you don't believe it's important enough to do it.  

If you want to feel urgency think about all the work you are doing today and have been doing for weeks, months, years.... and that you don't want to waste it.  Think about your streak of good days and see how high you can go.  Think about how much you want to be done dieting and how your bad decisions over the weekend mean it will keep going another week or more. 

And stop acting like this is something out of your control.  You are the one deciding what to eat over the weekend.  Every time you say I hope I can do it you are actually saying I don't intend to do it but I might try. 

Say I'm going to be good this weekend, decide what you're going to eat, don't have anything else in the house that you want and just do it. 

(I could go back and check but -- what are these times for?  Are these walks?  Jogs?  How long do you go?)
I'm walking, that's the mile pace according to the phone app (which is apparently going to self-destruct Friday, so I won't inflict this on you guys much longer). My route is just under three miles, and it takes 54-56 minutes depending on rest and many other things. Monday-Saturday.

Otis said:

This is going to sound absurd....just don’t drink any booze this weekend. 

since I got back from GA, 4/18, haven’t had a drop. GA was full of booze, bojangles(twice!), bbq and bad decisions. I did sneak in 6 miles while I was there, but that was merely to get the bojangles gravy, moving through my system. 

you can do it. And you’ll be so stoked you did.  Give it a shot!

kevzilla said:
I'm walking, that's the mile pace according to the phone app (which is apparently going to self-destruct Friday, so I won't inflict this on you guys much longer). My route is just under three miles, and it takes 54-56 minutes depending on rest and many other things. Monday-Saturday.
Have you tried cycling?  I suffer from bad knees, and running is just brutal on my body.  I've found cycling I can get a great cardio workout in with near zero stress on my joints.  Even walking/hiking is tougher on my body.  I do need to be more diligent at working my upper body and core. 

Have you tried cycling?  I suffer from bad knees, and running is just brutal on my body.  I've found cycling I can get a great cardio workout in with near zero stress on my joints.  Even walking/hiking is tougher on my body.  I do need to be more diligent at working my upper body and core. 
I hear you. The walking hasn't aggravated my joints; my weak links are plantar fascia and back. With proper warmup, I don't pull up lame very often. And my continued ability to ambulate is literally what's at stake for an aging diabetic. Use it or lose it.

225.9 this morning.  That’s my lowest early-in-the-week weigh-in this year.  Sub 225 looking like a good bet for Friday.   :football:

And yes, maybe I can not be dumb this weekend.  Maybe. 
You are not dumb.  You prefer to drink and eat a little too much on weekends rather than try to lose weight.  When you are serious about the weight loss on the weekend, you will lose weight.  Only you can make that decision.  

This story has become boring anyway.  You need a new hack or fad diet.  Try something new like an egg-only diet?   How about salads and beer?  Only foods that are red?   

Users who are viewing this thread