What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (6 Viewers)

:popcorn:   this is gonna get good.  

i can't wait for the inevitable fast day, that follows a 2 bottles of wine, scotch, full oreo sleeve, night.

Last edited by a moderator:
First 24 hour fast was pretty easy.  Had some potato leek soup before bed.  Next one I’l go to 36 hours.   

I think I’ll eat super light today.  Feeling good.  

First 24 hour fast was pretty easy.  Had some potato leek soup before bed.  Next one I’l go to 36 hours.   

I think I’ll eat super light today.  Feeling good.  
I did some fasting over the last couple years but started back more focused a few weeks ago.  Starting after dinner tonight I'll do another 40 hour fast - I wouldn't say they are easy but they aren't super difficult either.  It makes me focus on hunger and realize it's not some mythical thing.  It's ok to be hungry.  I'm still not doing a fully water fast during this time but trying to not take in any calories. 

I did an Adriene yesterday that had a long stretch of talkie-talkie at the end, so since we were already on our backs, I decided to try the plow pose.  Ended up getting into it basically as described above (gianmarco was not around, so it felt safe).  I thought I was going to ease into it by doing the shoulder stand first, but as I threw myself up there to get into shoulder stand, I couldn't stop the momentum and just ended up in plow.

That was fun.  I'll do that more often.
WTF??!??

I can't believe you said that about me and didn't properly @ me.  I would have checked in sooner.

I finally did Tim today.  It was funny that he used the words "genitals" and "anus" within the first minute.*  I liked the session and would do it again.  I think he's very good at giving some instruction, such as some tips on breathing that I've never heard from Adriene.  And then on other things, you're just on your own.  Some of the session was slow, and some seemed to go so fast I missed a few poses.  There were a couple of times he just hopped from being on his back to being in a plank.  Crazy!

*Seriously, he did.**

**And yes, I know this entire post sounds a little naughty.
Glad you enjoyed your time w/ Tim.  He's quite a bit different from Adriene, less talky talky.  His instructions are on minute details for specific poses.  

Lost another pound in the last week.  Not really sure how, as I've had all the booze the last few nights.  

Did a lot of walking and yard stuff this weekend.  

Just got off the mat.  40 min down dog session (paid for my year subscription), full practice, intermediate 2, no additional boost.  This one had the Bird of Paradise pose, 'that's a no from me, dog'...  No plow or shoulder stands.  Guess that's only with the core boost session.  

Keep up the good work.  

Lost another pound in the last week.  Not really sure how, as I've had all the booze the last few nights.  

Just got off the mat.  40 min down dog session (paid for my year subscription), full practice, intermediate 2, no additional boost.  This one had the Bird of Paradise pose, 'that's a no from me, dog'...  No plow or shoulder stands.  Guess that's only with the core boost session.  

Keep up the good work.  
I might be able to get my bird to about 3 o clock but she's going 6 to midnight and that's not something I even want to do.  

I might be able to get my bird to about 3 o clock but she's going 6 to midnight and that's not something I even want to do.  
I struggle just to get the bind.  Too much muscle in my arms, I assume.  My session had me getting into the bind from yoga squats, I couldn't even hold the bind from squats.  I just laughed at doing anything else from there.  

I did some fasting over the last couple years but started back more focused a few weeks ago.  Starting after dinner tonight I'll do another 40 hour fast - I wouldn't say they are easy but they aren't super difficult either.  It makes me focus on hunger and realize it's not some mythical thing.  It's ok to be hungry.  I'm still not doing a fully water fast during this time but trying to not take in any calories. 
What do you mean by this?  During my fasts I basically drink unlimited water, flavored zero calorie seltzer, and coffee (with a tiny splash of milk).  

What do you mean by this?  During my fasts I basically drink unlimited water, flavored zero calorie seltzer, and coffee (with a tiny splash of milk).  
My (very limited) understanding is that to reap maximum benefits you should go water only or maybe water and coffee/tea with nothing added.  I'm still drinking coffee with 0 calorie creamer.  I can't remember where I read it but I think the autophagy benefits can be lessened if you introduce anything but water.  I may have that wrong though so don't quote me on that.  I'm using it more now for two reasons - help with weight loss and to clear the insulin in my system which is supposed to facilitate fat burning.

Here's an interesting study that pushed people into a group that did 11 minutes of body weight stuff and those that didn't.

Fairly large effect size for

Warm-up: 1-minute of jumping jacks;

Vigorous exercise: 1-minute of modified burpees without push-ups;

Recovery: 1-minute of walking in place;

Vigorous exercise: 1-minute of high knee running in place;

Vigorous exercise: 1-minute of split squat jumps;

Vigorous exercise: 1-minute of high knee running in place;

Vigorous exercise: 1-minute of squat jumps;

Cool-down: 1-minute of walking in place.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8136567/

Would point out they specifically left out push ups.  Not sure why.  The goal was cardio health, so there is that.

Hung out with a few friends and noticed in the pictures that I’m fat. I’ve been doing tons of yard work so I get plenty of “exercise” but it’s not cardio. I’m strong as a ox but I look like one too. 

Time to buckle down. No more soda. No more sweets. Slightly less beer. 

Fighting weight - 176 lbs

current weight - 198 lbs

:porked:

Poke_4_Life said:

Keep up the good work.  
It's funny what's easy for different people.  I've resigned myself to the fact that I will never, ever do crow, and any attempt at a shoulder stand will accidentally launch me into plow.  But I looked at this and thought, "I could do that," so I stood up and tried.  My leg wasn't as high as hers and my toes were refusing to point, but the pose was doable and I was able to hold it for a respectable time.

Early was way too early this morning, so I pushed the alarm back an hour and walked at lunch. Though it cost me some unnecessary UV exposure, it was otherwise a good call, since my pace was 18:06.   :bowtie:
When people saw two burning tracks on the road and a guy with magic space hair walking away they probably started looking for a DeLorean 

Hung out with a few friends and noticed in the pictures that I’m fat. I’ve been doing tons of yard work so I get plenty of “exercise” but it’s not cardio. I’m strong as a ox but I look like one too. 

current weight - 198 lbs

Nice welcome to the grind 

It's funny what's easy for different people.  I've resigned myself to the fact that I will never, ever do crow, and any attempt at a shoulder stand will accidentally launch me into plow.  But I looked at this and thought, "I could do that," so I stood up and tried.  My leg wasn't as high as hers and my toes were refusing to point, but the pose was doable and I was able to hold it for a respectable time.
Challenge accepted. Stood up, stood on one leg, lifted my foot as high as it would go and got it to about 3 o clock.  Nope.  Then tried just my knee.  Got it up as high as she did, but with my foot hanging limply below.  Absolutely no problem with the groin stretch.  Then tried lifting my foot from that position to see how high it will go, and again, it stopped around 3 o clock, and I felt it in the hamstring area which is not what I imagined when I first saw the pose.  So I think it's possible I could get there with improved stretching, which I should probably be doing if I am going to keep running ~35 miles a week.  But I'm not sure what I'd get out of doing this as a standing pose other than a good workout for the leg that's holding me up. 

Challenge accepted. Stood up, stood on one leg, lifted my foot as high as it would go and got it to about 3 o clock.  Nope.  Then tried just my knee.  Got it up as high as she did, but with my foot hanging limply below.  Absolutely no problem with the groin stretch.  Then tried lifting my foot from that position to see how high it will go, and again, it stopped around 3 o clock, and I felt it in the hamstring area which is not what I imagined when I first saw the pose.  So I think it's possible I could get there with improved stretching, which I should probably be doing if I am going to keep running ~35 miles a week.  But I'm not sure what I'd get out of doing this as a standing pose other than a good workout for the leg that's holding me up. 
same.  tried it cold.  not happening at all.  it's a flexibility, core, balance pose.  to be able to do that, as a dude, would be bas ###.

same.  tried it cold.  not happening at all.  it's a flexibility, core, balance pose.  to be able to do that, as a dude, would be bas ###.
I just tried in squats again (cold, was not wise), I cannot clasp my hands together to do this...  I can have my knee touching my chest, still can't get my hands close together.

current weight - 198 lbs

Welcome aboard GB 

I started the Adriene at Home program today. Tried to do it in between conference calls. I figured first session is maybe 15mins. 45 minutes oof. I got 7 minutes in and someone called me and then everything went off the rails. So, episode 1, part 2, tomorrow. 

Got home, put some air in the tires and took my bike out for only the second time in 2021. A little less than 6 miles. 

I did have a coke with dinner but as long as I dont eat three more times tonight like I have been I should be fine. 

Started a new circuit routine today.  I did a resistance band workout from HASFIT.

Seemed like a good circuit, but I'm not sure I'm a big fan of them.  I don't need a cheerleader, I just need a solid workout.  This one is 30mins, they also have one that is 45mins.  I found a few other candidates too.  I'll keep looking around to find something else for my non-yoga days.  I really should have researched this more prior to the new month.  Oh well.  

Was significantly under my calories yesterday.

Keep up the good work!

Did well last night. Didn’t eat any snacks. 

Coffee only this morning. 

lunch: Steak and rice. 

Just now: Milk and two 👑 KING SIZE 👑 peanut chew candy bars. 

:sadbanana: FML

Oh and 200 on the scale this morning (up from 198 yesterday).

36 hour fast so far.  Inflammation and bloating down.  But gotta admit, real hungry this morning.  Whipped up breakfast for the kids and some of it looked damn tempting.  I think I’d like to go till this evening, maybe this one a full 48.

A couple days a week fasting feels totally doable and healthy.  Maybe sometimes it’s 24 hours, sometimes 36, sometimes 48.  Maybe I’ll get wacky and do more.  (I think a 60 hour fast is my longest, don’t think I ever made 72, but I recall feeling amazing after that one).

Did well last night. Didn’t eat any snacks. 

Coffee only this morning. 

lunch: Steak and rice. 

Just now: Milk and two 👑 KING SIZE 👑 peanut chew candy bars. 

:sadbanana: FML

Oh and 200 on the scale this morning (up from 198 yesterday).
I have been making some bad food decisions too. I had an epiphany last night about mine but let's start with yours. 

When I try to diet, I track calories in myfitnesspal and plug in my. Urrent weight and age and say I'm sedentary then I add every bit of exercise I do throughout the day and eat back those calories.  That way I reward myself for exercising. I went from walking and jogging a minute or two when I started two years ago, to running 60 miles in the last 12 days, and have also added rowing, push ups, a little weight lifting, yoga and assisted pull ups off and on because I want those extra calories. 

I find it much easier to choose foods I like to eat that are healthy, nutrient dense and low calorie and plan to eat them every day.  For me that's coffee, yogurt/skyr with strawberries, raspberries and blueberries in the morning, a whole microwavable bag of broccoli cauliflower and carrots, and some kind of lean protein like chicken or shrimp. The raspberries in particular are loaded with fiber and the vegetables are good too, and the strawberries and blueberries have a ton of antioxidants and vitamin c among other things, plus it bulks up my breakfast and makes it feel like more food. 

After that I have discretionary spending of like 550 calories. Some days that's some homemade fried rice, or an egg sandwich and some chicken tenders when I make my kid's lunch, or maybe pizza or chick fil a if I want a treat.  If I do more exercise I have more discretionary calories.  It works for me for months in a row before I get fatigued, take a break and start back up again.  I'm currently in one of those breaks but trying to get motivated to start another push.  

The other thing that helps is posting here daily regardless.  I started a separate thread called let's lose some weight because I was posting too much in here and we've had some nice success stories come out of that one especially Corporation.  It helps. 

Good luck dude

My eepiphany for me is that now that I'm increasing my exercise calories, I haven't figured out what to eat in response, so I've just been allowing myself to eat crap.  That's fine in the short run, I'm enjoying it and rewarding myself for taking a step forward with my fitness which is a long term investment in my health.  But I need to fix it.

The problem is i struggle with the idea that on Monday I can have 1500 calories and on Tuesday 2600 after running and then Wednesday back to 2200 after a short run.  And I don't have healthy foods planned for big calorie days.  Instead of just letting myself eat something after the run, I need to plan on some bigger meals that are not nutrient dense but are healthy and that I enjoy. 

I need to reload carbs, get my protein up and get my vitamins and fiber which I was doing with low calorie foods before but now maybe I should be doing it with foods I was avoiding before that feel like treats and satisfy my need to feel rewarded for eating healthy and going for a long run, but aren't just garbage snacks like wine and popcorn.  I need to proactively shop for things i will want later and not the same old things..  so I still reward myself for my running just with a better/more diverse diet.  

I'm thinking about making sweet potato fries on the grill, or going out for a burrito... things I wasn't letting myself have before. But cutting out the booze and not buying any more snacks..  I need to figure out some of the calorie details but I think I can do this and get back on track without burning out on the same old diet foods.  

36 hour fast so far.  Inflammation and bloating down.  But gotta admit, real hungry this morning.  Whipped up breakfast for the kids and some of it looked damn tempting.  I think I’d like to go till this evening, maybe this one a full 48.

A couple days a week fasting feels totally doable and healthy.  Maybe sometimes it’s 24 hours, sometimes 36, sometimes 48.  Maybe I’ll get wacky and do more.  (I think a 60 hour fast is my longest, don’t think I ever made 72, but I recall feeling amazing after that one).
I'm not a big believer in fasting but I'm not an expert.  I would probably run it by my doctor if I were you.  But you are leaning in to the fact that you are able to put in the work during the week and struggle on the weekends so maybe this actually is the right idea for you.  I worry about muscle loss and getting enough vitamins and fiber and all the good things that you get from food.  I don't know how this works but will of course be rooting for you 

I'm not a big believer in fasting but I'm not an expert.  I would probably run it by my doctor if I were you.  But you are leaning in to the fact that you are able to put in the work during the week and struggle on the weekends so maybe this actually is the right idea for you.  I worry about muscle loss and getting enough vitamins and fiber and all the good things that you get from food.  I don't know how this works but will of course be rooting for you 
I’ve done some reading, and supposedly it’s healthy. I actually believe it’s the way we are supposed to eat. And I know that I feel pretty good when I do it, so why not right?

Still getting strafed by thunderstorms, but not in the early mornings. There was a small oak tree in the driveway of my complex. My pace was 18:38.

I had a bout of hypoglycemia last night. I'm not proud of the choices I made, but lapsing into a coma and dying is not my jam either. Because I have the same foods, I'm going to eat them all again today, to see if I reproduce it. I'll have some orange juice around this time.

Did a down dog 30-min session (Hatha, Intermediate 2, core strength focus)  this morning. 

Was a little sore after the circuit yesterday so Hatha seemed appropriate.  The session was fine, but there were some 'side crow' poses.  I mean I can do crow, but side crow is basically impossible but I guess it gives me something to work towards.  

Significantly under my calories yesterday.

Keep up the good work!

bostonfred said:
My eepiphany for me is that now that I'm increasing my exercise calories, I haven't figured out what to eat in response, so I've just been allowing myself to eat crap.  That's fine in the short run, I'm enjoying it and rewarding myself for taking a step forward with my fitness which is a long term investment in my health.  But I need to fix it.

The problem is i struggle with the idea that on Monday I can have 1500 calories and on Tuesday 2600 after running and then Wednesday back to 2200 after a short run.  And I don't have healthy foods planned for big calorie days.  Instead of just letting myself eat something after the run, I need to plan on some bigger meals that are not nutrient dense but are healthy and that I enjoy. 

I need to reload carbs, get my protein up and get my vitamins and fiber which I was doing with low calorie foods before but now maybe I should be doing it with foods I was avoiding before that feel like treats and satisfy my need to feel rewarded for eating healthy and going for a long run, but aren't just garbage snacks like wine and popcorn.  I need to proactively shop for things i will want later and not the same old things..  so I still reward myself for my running just with a better/more diverse diet.  

I'm thinking about making sweet potato fries on the grill, or going out for a burrito... things I wasn't letting myself have before. But cutting out the booze and not buying any more snacks..  I need to figure out some of the calorie details but I think I can do this and get back on track without burning out on the same old diet foods.  
I have a similar issue with eating more when I'm used to less. My usual go to for the extra calories.....if I don't ruin it with ice cream.... is to use a protein shake with milk of choice, a nice granola bar(not the ####ty ones with no fiber/protein), and an apple will basically add 500-600 calories to my day. Although I do have trouble with the sweetness of most protein powders so I take a half serving and then add 2-3 TBS of straight pea protein to balance everything.

I have a similar issue with eating more when I'm used to less. My usual go to for the extra calories.....if I don't ruin it with ice cream.... is to use a protein shake with milk of choice, a nice granola bar(not the ####ty ones with no fiber/protein), and an apple will basically add 500-600 calories to my day. Although I do have trouble with the sweetness of most protein powders so I take a half serving and then add 2-3 TBS of straight pea protein to balance everything.
I just use booze.  Sadly.  

Fasting for 72 hours straight?  Oh man good luck with that!
Well I didn’t quite get there this time.  I was primed for close to that.  Hadn’t eaten all day today (Day 2) and was starting to feel really hungry.  Had been planning to eat today, but was feeling so good and lean that I decided to try and push through tonight, and through tomorrow morning, to lead up to a nice big lunch date out with the Missus.  Was totally committed and even excited for that setup, but then one of the kids got sick, we realized lunch tomorrow is out since she’ll be home sick, and so, since I had nothing to look forward to, I had dinner and some white wine.  (Unfortunately the dinner on the stove was a bunch of cocktail wieners and some veggie things; the veggie part was fine, but I definitely had more wieners than a fella needs to heyo).  Anyway, second fast this week, 48 hours.  I’ll take it.

Anyway, I’m starting to enjoy this.  I can totally see myself eating every other day, or some variant of that.  When I don’t eat, I feel great.  And I imagine if I start doing this on the regular, not only will I feel great, but Ill lose weight.  And to Fred’s point, it plays to my strengths—I’m totally fine going a day or two without eating, but I enjoy a binge here or there on the weekend.  If I skip eating two or three days during the week, then I can pretty much do what I want on the weekends.  Better yet, if I skip two or three days during the week, and I just eat moderately the rest of the week, not going too overboard, I’ll really make progress.

And again, I believe in the other health benefits: inflammation, autophagy, giving your body and digestive system a break, etc.  

I’m liking this.

I like it @Otis  .  I may try to do a 24 hour fast once every 2 weeks but not go completely off the rails on non-fast days.  The one question is if you’re fasting so often, do you have the energy to mix in physical fitness?  Maybe that’s not even that important if you’re really able to commit to fasting.   :shrug:  

I have actually changed friends from eating like trash and drinking believing they can't have fun when out. They always thought you can't have a goal and enjoy yourself at the same time. 

I'm always like, I'll get a really nice nacho app and chicken César salad with multiple beers instead of a cheeseburger and large fires. If I choose the drinks wisely and not just all huge double IPAs, but maybe a big IPA, a pilsner, and a G&T I can get away with a solid balance without crushing the goals.

For me its about education on calories and getting a proper judgement for items. Then, planning the beers and drinks before they happen. 🍻

Going away with my lovely wife to the Carolina Mountains, Pisgah, Marshall House Inn on the French Broad River and on the way back will be visiting a lot of the GSMNP which I think most of you can figure out what that is. Going to see Madison and Milledgeville in GA along the way and just slow trek it over the next week or two. 

This is what people who live near the beach in Florida want to go for a "vacation" or escape. Hoping to see many trails and some waterfalls while we are up there and we also are going to avoid a lot of alcohol and just all kinds of other negative vibrations, want to get my iPhone out of my hands for a few days. Disconnect. 

Will be ready to crank back up when i return, hopefully the trip kick starts several things. 

Cheers!   

I like it @Otis  .  I may try to do a 24 hour fast once every 2 weeks but not go completely off the rails on non-fast days.  The one question is if you’re fasting so often, do you have the energy to mix in physical fitness?  Maybe that’s not even that important if you’re really able to commit to fasting.   :shrug:  
Honestly haven’t tried.  I was having some minor health issues past couple weeks and so I was laying off the working out.  Trying to ease back into yoga, just haven’t gotten there yet.  But I’ve been walking the dog etc.  But I’ll tell you, during fasts I feel I have MORE energy.  I fully believe it’s because, once you get over the hurdle, your body doesn’t have to constantly burn energy digesting crap, and so you just have more energy.  I’m not suggesting I’d do a lot of strenuous working out while not eating.  But at least for me, and probably for the vast majority of us, the problem is 90% diet.  It’s not the lack of burpees, it’s the box of devil dogs.  

Anyway, I’m going to weave some regular exercise back in—yoga, rowing, walks.  but I really dig the fasts.  

Note, I’m not sure 24 hours is enough.  I think the key is to go a full day and overnight.  Go to bed on an empty stomach, and give your body a chance overnight to do no digesting, and instead just focus on rest and repair.  I find I wake up feeling pretty darn good.

A little bummed I ate tonight, because I was curious to see how I’d feel tomorrow morning after two days, but baby steps. 

Do it!

Users who are viewing this thread