What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (4 Viewers)

Did you think I was taking my birthday off? Do you know who I am? Pace was 18:49.

The scale says I lost 2.7 pounds this week. I turn 60 at a lower weight than 50...than 40...than 35.

I have you guys to thank for a lot of this. Off to celebrate all weekend, but you know I'll be out there tomorrow.
Happy birthday skinny grampa 

This week:  227 lbs       Last week:  232 lbs

Change:  -5 lbs               Loss to date:  54 lbs

------------------------------

Target weight:  207 lbs

March 12:   281 lbs  
March 19:   274 lbs
March 26:   270 lbs
April 2:       265 lbs
April 9:       262 lbs
April 16:     259 lbs
April 23:     256 lbs
April 30:     254 lbs
May 7:       251 lbs
May 14:     249 lbs
May 21:     246 lbs
May 28:     245 lbs
June 4:      239 lbs
June 11:    235 lbs
June 18:   235 lbs
June 25:   231 lbs
July 2:      229 lbs
July 9:      232 lbs
July 16:    227 lbs
Back on track after gaining while sick last week. Those 3 pounds came off immediately, so probably temporary weight (water, etc). After that came off, lost 2 more for the week.

International soccer tourneys are great for my exercise bike rides. Had some of my longest, highest calorie burn rides while watching the Euro and Copa America finals. Stupid overtime!  Then spent my last couple of rides watching Miracle (the movie about the Miracle on Ice), then an old HBO documentary on it, and then an ESPN Classic replay of the actual game itself. Good stuff. Ordered an Eruzione jersey last night. 🏒

Shoulder is finally starting to improve. The new strain is in a different spot than the original injury, where the bicep and shoulder meet. Therapist has me doing mainly isometric exercises, like where I'm pushing against a wall so the muscle engages but doesn't actually go through motion, to help reduce the chance of worsening it. But it's hurting a fraction of what it did, so maybe in another week or so I'll be able to start doing small weights and range of motion exercises.

End of week update --

Exercise:

18 miles walked + 2 miles run / 2620 calories burned

Hit the 20 mile goal I set for the week, but the most exciting part is being able to run. I mentioned that my knees hurt a lot after running that first mile on Monday, but I did another mile during this morning's walk and so far they feel fine. Going to try to increase that running mileage slooowly. The one area where I fell short was my leg strengthening exercises; I think I only did them a couple times this week, need to get back to the usual 4-5x this week. 

Diet:

This was as ugly as expected during the visit with my parents--BBQ, ice cream, burgers, you name it--but that was only two days and I'm back on the horse now. Only had 1,300 calories yesterday. I did hold myself to the <=6 drink goal this week and I think I should just make that a permanent goal moving forward. Sodium was still a bit of an issue even on the non-cheat days, but I'm expecting that to get better as I finally polish off my existing salty foods and replace them with less salty brands. 

Oh, and happy birthday @kevzilla!

Did you think I was taking my birthday off? Do you know who I am? Pace was 18:49.

The scale says I lost 2.7 pounds this week. I turn 60 at a lower weight than 50...than 40...than 35.

I have you guys to thank for a lot of this. Off to celebrate all weekend, but you know I'll be out there tomorrow.
:banned:

Think I'm going to need an accountability post in here.  I've been off the rails again, luckily not having gained a lot.  But that will happen if I don't rein it in.  Heading out for a food/wine vacation for a few days, so need to peg Friday as my start date to do better.  

In the meantime, Adriene's yoga yesterday was entitled on her calendar "Slow & Gentle Yoga."  Score!  Then I started it up, and it was actually "Yoga for Seniors:  Slow and Gentle."  Seriously.  I felt insulted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kind of hit a plateau.

June 5- 310.4

June 12 - 309.0

June 19 - 309.6

This week has been tough.  Coming off a decent exercise week.  The kid screwed up his glucose management (type 1 diabetic) and wound up in the hospital for 3 days in DKA.  Feels fine now that things are back under control, but it short circuited my progress.  Was able to get at least 3 days this week on the recumbent bike, averaging 45 minutes.

All in all, not doing too bad.  My blood sugar is getting better (5.9 A1c).  The exercise has dropped my BP about 10 points.  At the point where it bothers me if I don’t get on the bike for a little bit everyday.
Been very hit or miss (more miss 😟) on exercise recently.  Been bouncing around 308-309 recently, however did weigh in at 306.4 this morning.

Off the rails a bit here as well. Need a swift kick in the tail before a beach vacation in three weeks. 

Last night I finished the fasting book I posted about recently. Turns out the 2-3 day fasts I’ve been doing are pretty good, but the real health benefits come on a longer fast, which he characterizes as 7-14 days.  Going to start a fast today, and we’ll see how far along I can get. Would be nice to do a 7 day, but we’ll see. 

Also going to fix my fasting regime by not eating and drinking total garbage when I break the fast. Going to focus on actually eating healthier foods when I do eat.  (A good point bfred made, and which is also emphasized in the book -- the fast is not a license to gorge yourself with twinkies and pizza, that's sort of counterproductive)

Fasting day 1, off we go. 

Had a very active weekend w/ decent food choices and even didn't drink much.  Almost unheard of...

Walked the dog and did a 40-min down dog session this morning w/ core strength focus.  I actually struggled a little with the session, something was off.  Oh well.  

I'm going to try to log every bite of food this week into MFP.  Been slacking on that quite often lately.  Not that I've been gaining, but I've been around the same weight for a while, partly from booze and partly from a few poor choices.  

Keep up the good work!

If anyone comes across a yoga session that's good when you have a broken wing, please let me know.  I'm at a beach house this week, and on the first night here, the ridiculously narrow stairs caused me to slip at the top.  As I watched my life passing before my eyes,* I managed to grab the railing and pull myself back up to the landing, pulling muscles in my arm and shoulder something fierce.  I have extraordinary pain from my right elbow up through my shoulder and can barely move it.

Despite the injury, I did yoga yesterday and today.  Tried unsuccessfully to select ones that I thought wouldn't be tough on my arms, but then found myself in lots of planks and such.  I've just been doing everything one-handed.  :flex: 

Oh, also this morning for breakfast I had something the restaurant calls "The Nasty," which is a biscuit covered in sausage gravy, topped with two huge pieces of fried chicken, and cheddar cheese.  I did get the side of fruit instead of potatoes, because I'm health-conscious.

*Turns out the scenes were mostly of me eating pizza.

If anyone comes across a yoga session that's good when you have a broken wing, please let me know.  I'm at a beach house this week, and on the first night here, the ridiculously narrow stairs caused me to slip at the top.  As I watched my life passing before my eyes,* I managed to grab the railing and pull myself back up to the landing, pulling muscles in my arm and shoulder something fierce.  I have extraordinary pain from my right elbow up through my shoulder and can barely move it.

Despite the injury, I did yoga yesterday and today.  Tried unsuccessfully to select ones that I thought wouldn't be tough on my arms, but then found myself in lots of planks and such.  I've just been doing everything one-handed.  :flex: 

Oh, also this morning for breakfast I had something the restaurant calls "The Nasty," which is a biscuit covered in sausage gravy, topped with two huge pieces of fried chicken, and cheddar cheese.  I did get the side of fruit instead of potatoes, because I'm health-conscious.

*Turns out the scenes were mostly of me eating pizza.
For a while I’ve thought that we should be allowed to give multiple reactions to a single post on here, and posts like this are why. I wanted to give a sad emoji for the injury, a smile for sticking with yoga in spite of the pain, a heart for that incredible-sounding biscuit/gravy/chicken dish, and a laugh for the final line. Just had to split the difference and go with a regular old like. 

My A1C hitting 5.9 was what motivated me to take off the weight again. Same motivation for when I lost the weight 4 years ago.  5.7 is the start of the pre-diabetes range.  4.0 to 5.6 are considered normal.

I did a home A1C today, which reflects the last 3 months of blood sugar levels.

Result:  4.9.   Rig4ht in the middle of 'normal'.  Very happy!   :)

For a while I’ve thought that we should be allowed to give multiple reactions to a single post on here, and posts like this are why. I wanted to give a sad emoji for the injury, a smile for sticking with yoga in spite of the pain, a heart for that incredible-sounding biscuit/gravy/chicken dish, and a laugh for the final line. Just had to split the difference and go with a regular old like. 
:lol:   Good point.  I often want to love/hate a post, especially in a music draft where someone posts two song at a time.

By the way, here's The Nasty (w/ side of fruit).

This week:  225 lbs       Last week:  227 lbs

Change:  -2 lbs               Loss to date:  56 lbs

------------------------------

Target weight:  207 lbs

March 12:   281 lbs  
March 19:   274 lbs
March 26:   270 lbs
April 2:       265 lbs
April 9:       262 lbs
April 16:     259 lbs
April 23:     256 lbs
April 30:     254 lbs
May 7:       251 lbs
May 14:     249 lbs
May 21:     246 lbs
May 28:     245 lbs
June 4:      239 lbs
June 11:    235 lbs
June 18:    235 lbs
June 25:    231 lbs
July 2:       229 lbs
July 9:       232 lbs
July 16:     227 lbs
July 23:     225 lbs
Down 2 pounds. Had a good exercise week. Losing weight has helped my bum knee considerably. Shoulder pain from the strain dropped quite a bit, started doing tiny amounts of weight with the exercises again to start building it back up. Going to see the doctor this coming week about it, therapist said she might want to give me a shot for the tendonitis as that's contributing at present.

Did my first walk in what has probably been a month or more, mostly thanks to rain and stifling weather when not raining. Might try to start working more back in.

Have an assessment at the gym at work today so I can start using the facility again. Though I probably won't make too much of use it until my shoulder's able to handle actual weight lifting. They have an InBody machine for body fat percentage measurements that I'm looking forward to tracking progress on. 

Almost forgot to do an end of week update, so I'll make it fast before leaving work:

On my planned walk/runs, I walked 9 miles and ran 3 this week. That sounds low because on Monday we left early in the morning for a family trip to the amusement park and I skipped my walk. Ended up walking 7 miles at the park, so still an active day, but didn't include that in my totals because it wasn't a formal walk. Running is going well, no knee pain. :) Going to try and increase my running mileage by about 1 mile/week, I think. Slow and steady. 

Diet was neither good nor bad. Had some ballpark food at a Royals game on Saturday, and had Taco Bell on the way home from the amusement park on Monday instead of paying $15/burger inside the park. The other days were very solid though. More family is coming this weekend so a couple restaurant trips might be in my future -- I didn't realize how busy this summer was. Hope everyone else is doing well!

Flew around the neighborhood at an 18:38 pace. Boom...shaka...laka.

The scale says I gained 1.3 pounds this week. There were birthday excesses last weekend, and carrying Captain Morgan on your back like I did last night is not as thermogenic as it sounds. I need to start getting better results from 324 minutes of exercise in a week.

Oh! I let myself run out of my diuretic too. I think I've been pretty clear in here about being a dope.

This wouldn't get the serious yogis excited, but if you are like me and have chronic neck or back pain, I invite you to try Adriene's Yoga for Scoliosis.  Wait, wasn't that what we had to get tested for as kids and only the weirdos and sideways people came back positive?  Yes.  But I did this one yesterday and spent one glorious day in the least amount of neck pain I've had in ages.  Feels like I should work this in every few days to have a potential solution for my chronic neck problems.

I have been giving no cares. 

Two weeks till a family vacation to Turks and Caicos. Probably should have pulled the alarm about 6 weeks ago, but oh well. Here we are. 

Starting a fast tomorrow.  Let’s see how far we can take it. 

Not a bad weekend.  Only one night of heavy booze, and one night of a bit of wine.  Good food choices also.  Got a lot of steps both days.  Scale doesn't show any change, but it's coming.  

Already walked the dog and did a 40-min yoga.  Planning to be good w/ the diet and off booze all week.  

Keep up the good work!

July has been very up n down, been on the road a lot and lucky that my clothes still fit. We did manage to grab a couple of these Helinox Chairs and the real advantage is not so much the comfort of them but the ridiculous portability. They are made of the stuff they make tents out of and when you take these things of the bags they store in, the legs simply fold together almost on their own, they have little bungy like cords that just snap the pieces into place, you put the canvas piece around and you got an awesome chair. 

For those of you who like to hike or walk, these things are like 3 lbs maybe and they have a soft case(functions as a pillow behind your head) that can be attached to small back pack or your waist and you can take these with you anywhere and stop and relax along your excursion. Easily take these with you on your bikes if you wanted. We got some small accessories like a cup holder that attach and also a floor mat Helinox sells that attaches to the bottom of the chair so that it won't sink on slightly softer ground like sand down here in FL. I got the Sunset with the higher back, they also have a "festival" chair. Not cheap but something you would probably have for a long time. 

I can bike a couple miles from where I live, I'll say 5 one way but it's not that far once you get out of the neighborhood but 5 miles to the Inlet where the boats travel and we can set up right on the shore near the big Lighthouse here, you can get to spots along the shore you can't really get to via car, easier by bike/hike, jump on into the water, sit along the shore, I'm looking forward to some fun times with the Mrs.  

September 16th is going to be our new target date(Son and his g/f coming). The scale was incredibly cruel this morning and I am inching very close to a horrible number I swore never to cross again. There's still plenty of time and a simple pivot and redirect will be just what the Dr ordered and ironically that was lunch today, fresh grilled snapper on "Dr's Orders" Salad which has things like red beets which I would never otherwise eat, lots of seeds and berries and carrots and chunks of other stuff and the fish was awesome, ate with the Mrs, no beers, looking good for this evening's 6:30 yoga class...Mrs wants me to meet the teacher, not sure why but she swears I'll like this class, it's a beginner's yoga thing. 

I need to get back to my walks and rides several times a week, it's hot so what suck it up. 

New goal: Lose 15 lbs over the next 6 weeks. Very doable, but 1 lb at a time. 

I really enjoyed Adriene's "Yoga for Climbers" today, which was as close to a "Yoga for..." as I'd ever been, until she gets to "Yoga for People Obsessed with Kevzilla's Walks."  But I'm here to mention that I was previewing tomorrow's "Yoga for the Feet" to see if I'd wish to do it, and I saw that the top YouTube comment was, "I'm high af and this popped up my feed. Now I'm doing yoga for the feet."  :lmao:  

You guys eat yesterday?

Huh.  Weird.  
Huge supporter of intermittent fasting, I am going to spotlight one of the first hurdles people will find trying to not eat until about Noon or later most days...BREAKFAST or the appearance or feeling of hunger especially within the first 30-60 minutes of waking up. 

I cannot stress this enough, most of you that have pains in your tummy and you say something like "I'm starving" WRONG ANSWER!!! This is not hunger but in fact your bowels and you likely need to go poo poo or have your first of several movements of the day. True hunger is felt in the throat, i do not advocate waiting for that feeling to hit you but I do think if you can fight thru that initial trick where you go eat and then suddenly run to the bathroom, skip the food but do have as much water as you can get down in the morning, I try and drink between 24-48 ounces of water within an hour or two of waking up, you'll be shocked what this does for you if you are not already drinking enough water.  

Water can really give you a sense of fullness and many times people mistake hunger for thirst, it's true I promise. It won't happen in one day but I encourage folks to get hydrated, water also breaks down fat and will help you lose weight quicker if your running somewhere around 80-120 ounces of water thru you daily. You won't be starving all day i can almost promise you. They used to encourage people to drink 16-24 ounces of water before a meal so they don't eat so much, i don't see this broadcast as often now. 

I can go further with this and will but that's enough bathroom talk for one entry 😆

Speaking of feet, my plantar fascia seem to have calmed down considerably, despite a higher volume of exercise than much of last year. I attribute this to trying to stay on the asphalt as opposed to the concrete sidewalk, which often has crazy tilts and seams that invite injury. Also, I'm a bit of a stumblebum and high af at 6AM. Pace was 18:38.

Users who are viewing this thread