What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Just bought a pit barrel cooker (1 Viewer)

xulf

Footballguy
Why the #### haven't I been doing this all my life?

http://www.pitbarrelcooker.com

I now resent my childhood for not allowing me the awesomeness of smoked meat.  Made BBQ wings, spicy garlic wings, and BBQ drumsticks tonight.  My wife and I housed them...enough food for way more than us.  My life is changed forever.

Screw the potato diet, I'm going all meat.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know the owners of this company.  100% true.  Good people.
They seem like good people.  It looks like he is a veteran and they hire veterans at their company :thumbup: .  He's also very good in their video recipes and comes off very relatable.

I now resent my childhood for not allowing me the awesomeness of smoked meat.  Made BBQ wings, spicy garlic wings, and BBQ drumsticks tonight.  My wife and I housed them...enough food for way more than us.  My life is changed forever.

used the grate or hooked em all up?

Nice, and have fun!  I recently started smoking with a Weber Smokey Mountain.  Pure awesomeness.  I've been doing mostly ribs and pork loins.  Just getting it seasoned.

:thumbup:

PSA - Home Depot has Kingsford on sale this weekend.  (2) 18.6 lb bags for under $10.  I picked up 111 lbs of charcoal for $30 today.  Stock up for the summer!

Nice, and have fun!  I recently started smoking with a Weber Smokey Mountain.  Pure awesomeness.  I've been doing mostly ribs and pork loins.  Just getting it seasoned.

:thumbup:
I've been doing a lot of smoking lately but am in serious need for an upgrade in equipment and have been looking at the WSM.  What size do you have?  I've been looking at the 22.5 " due to a larger cooking area.  Have you done any modifications to it? Also, does it really hold Temps well allowing for an overnight cook? 

I've got a 55 gallon drum in the back yard and have been thinking about trying to make one of these.  There are plenty of YouTube videos out there with pretty simple to follow instructions. 

I've been doing a lot of smoking lately but am in serious need for an upgrade in equipment and have been looking at the WSM.  What size do you have?  I've been looking at the 22.5 " due to a larger cooking area.  Have you done any modifications to it? Also, does it really hold Temps well allowing for an overnight cook? 
I have the 18.5" and for my purposes its plenty big enough.  You won't be disappointed with the 22" though. The only knock I've heard against the 22 is the amount of charcoal it takes.  Some people have bought an 18.5 charcoal ring to use for shorter cooks.

I haven't done any long cooks yet.  Still getting use to the temp control and the different smoke woods.  5-6 hour cooks so far but no problem holding temps once you get it where you want it.  Seems people have no problem going 10-12 hours on 1 load of coals especially with the 22.

Right now I'm just using the out-of-the-box smoker but will be getting the door and gasket mods soon enough.

Got a Pit Barrel a couple months ago.  Pretty awesome, yeah.  So far, we've done ribs several times, pork shoulder twice, brisket twice, pork loin once, and assorted chicken parts several times.

If you're going to make large quantities of food, I can't recommend the half grate enough.  Start out with a brisket and pork shoulder on the hooks, then when they're ready to foil and finish, switch to the half grate for those and hang a couple racks of ribs at the same time.

As far as cleaning, there's nothing I hate more than scraping the grates, but I have to do that with all smokers.  Cleaning the ashes is just turning the barrel upside down; doesn't get easier than that.

I just watched every video. 

I want one.  There are grill snobs and there are smoker snobs, and all I care about is a great tasting meat that I don't have to think about too much. 

Got a Pit Barrel a couple months ago.  Pretty awesome, yeah.  So far, we've done ribs several times, pork shoulder twice, brisket twice, pork loin once, and assorted chicken parts several times.

If you're going to make large quantities of food, I can't recommend the half grate enough.  Start out with a brisket and pork shoulder on the hooks, then when they're ready to foil and finish, switch to the half grate for those and hang a couple racks of ribs at the same time.

As far as cleaning, there's nothing I hate more than scraping the grates, but I have to do that with all smokers.  Cleaning the ashes is just turning the barrel upside down; doesn't get easier than that.
After using it yesterday for the first time I ordered the hinged grate and the turkey hook  :thumbup:

I just watched every video. 

I want one.  There are grill snobs and there are smoker snobs, and all I care about is a great tasting meat that I don't have to think about too much. 
If there is any indecision check out the reviews on amazon.  They have a ridiculously good rating and a ton of questions about it are answered there.

They seem like good people.  It looks like he is a veteran and they hire veterans at their company :thumbup: .  He's also very good in their video recipes and comes off very relatable.
Are there grill or smoker companies out there which are not American and which do not employ vets.  I want my 4th of July meat fest to honor America.

They hold their temps extremely well. Set it and forget it.  Won't ever get a different smoker because I know I'll just be disappointed. 

If there is any indecision check out the reviews on amazon.  They have a ridiculously good rating and a ton of questions about it are answered there.
No indecision here, but I will still check it out.

The biggest question for me is going to be the timing.  Wife is pregnant, and what used to be 75% of our main course options (chicken and pork), she doesn't like anymore.  I will sit on this a little while and see if her tastes change again.  :fingerscrossed:

Sold! I'm in the middle of a pretty big outdoor remodel and am gonna install a gas outdoor cooking station. But I won't be able to do that part until next year. This will be the perfect bridge for this summer (and may change what I do overall if I like it). 

I don't know if any of you are on Facebook but there is a whole group (maybe more than one) dedicated to the UDS (ugly drum smoker).  Lots of great information there about mods and how to use them.  That probably doesn't need any mods though.

Mine came in today and I'll be firing it up tomorrow. I'll only be cooking for two, though, which almost seems a waste. Not sure what's on the menu yet, but any tips on dos/don'ts?

Mine came in today and I'll be firing it up tomorrow. I'll only be cooking for two, though, which almost seems a waste. Not sure what's on the menu yet, but any tips on dos/don'ts?
Not sure if this thing needs be seasoned like any other smoker, but if it does season it with good smoking wood and not charcoal.

Edit to add: their website says you don't need to season it, but I would still do my first few burns with something like apple wood, cherry, maybe some hickory.

In a nutshell how is this better than a traditional smoker?
I wouldn't say it's better but bang for buck I'd say it's near the top. I don't own a pit barrel but have read lots of reviews and have seen one in action and I'd guess the only smokers that are better are the WSM and Big Green Egg (which allow for better temp control/adjustment). Outside of those two the pit barrel is top notch and tough to beat @ $299.

Not sure if this thing needs be seasoned like any other smoker, but if it does season it with good smoking wood and not charcoal.

Edit to add: their website says you don't need to season it, but I would still do my first few burns with something like apple wood, cherry, maybe some hickory.
I'm going straight charcoal for this cook. I'm thinking something like a brisket and maybe some chicken, then splitting between my friend & I for future meals.

I'm more worried about temp control

Another variation of the Ugly Drum Smoker. Gateway is another "name brand" version. Solid cookers.. not the BEST use of cooking space but they work very well for backyard cooks and light comps. Very solid value in the $300 range. 

You could do much much much worse for the money. :thumbup:

:thumbup:   Looks like the sale's still on.  I wish I could load up some more but limited storage space.
My neighbors laugh at me twice a year when this goes down. Memorial Day weekend and Labor Day weekend. I have this section in my garage jam packed with charcoal. The jokes on them in the winter when they are paying $14.99 a bag while I blissfully cook at $5 a bag.  :headbang:

I've had my 22.5 WSMs  since 2009, only thing I have had to replace is the coal door handle and a thermometer.

The only modification I would suggest is taking your water pan and filling it in 3/4 with playground sand and then foil heavily, makes clean up much faster and allows for a longer duration when it comes to cook times has once it is heated it takes a long time to cool.  I haven't noticed a difference in the amount of fuel the 22.5 uses compared to the 18.5. Almost all of my cooks I use the minion method, small/short cook or large/long cook.  I have been able to get 13 hour burns out of a full minion ring and a 1/2 chimney in the center. 

DOs: 
Get yourself a temp monitor (I have the Maverick ET-733). You don't want to be constantly taking meat out to check the temp with a hand probe. You need to keep a steady heat without interruption and to do so you need to know the temp of the meat with having to take of the lid.

Get a FoodSaver sealing system. I suggest this because you said you're cooking for two people so you'll have lots of left overs (esp with something like a pork shoulder). You spent a lot of time smoking that meat and don't want it to go to waste. Seal it up, freeze some and pull it out and enjoy at a later date.

DON'Ts
First time you smoke a real tough meat (like pork shoulder or brisket) you're eventually going to hit the stall. This is when the temp of the meat seems to plataeu and doesn't get any higher. The tip is don't sweat it, this is normal. The connective tissue needs to break down and this is the point where this occurs. I'll take mine out at this point and foil with a 1/2 cup of apple juice to help power thru the stall. You don't have to do this but without it will take longer.

Do ENJOY you're smoker!!!  :)

DOs: 
Get yourself a temp monitor (I have the Maverick ET-733). You don't want to be constantly taking meat out to check the temp with a hand probe. You need to keep a steady heat without interruption and to do so you need to know the temp of the meat with having to take of the lid.

Get a FoodSaver sealing system. I suggest this because you said you're cooking for two people so you'll have lots of left overs (esp with something like a pork shoulder). You spent a lot of time smoking that meat and don't want it to go to waste. Seal it up, freeze some and pull it out and enjoy at a later date.

DON'Ts
First time you smoke a real tough meat (like pork shoulder or brisket) you're eventually going to hit the stall. This is when the temp of the meat seems to plataeu and doesn't get any higher. The tip is don't sweat it, this is normal. The connective tissue needs to break down and this is the point where this occurs. I'll take mine out at this point and foil with a 1/2 cup of apple juice to help power thru the stall. You don't have to do this but without it will take longer.

Do ENJOY you're smoker!!!  :)
Thanks. I did order a foodsaver and should have it Sunday. Is this the temp monitor I need? Link There are a bunch with different accessories

Thanks. I did order a foodsaver and should have it Sunday. Is this the temp monitor I need? Link There are a bunch with different accessories
Yep (mine is white but it looks like the same model). There are some other brands but the Maverick has been solid and I've been using for quite some time. It's really nice to be able to monitor both the smoker and meat temp without opening the door/lid and losing heat in the process.

If you didn't get a coal ring, get one, it will save you a tone of fuel, this is as good as any

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/charcoal-chamber-p-1475851.html?osCsid=6970o0dg7on4s5n55pgt06rp26

If your drum didn't come with eyelets for your probes, I would suggest inserting one at each level of your cooking grates

https://www.bbqguru.com/storenav?CategoryId=3&ProductId=51

For your first few cooks I'd go with brined fowl, whole chicken, quarters or thighs.  These will give you a wide range of error in regards to temp and time and still produce a decent product.  Once you have those down as far as favorable temps and times then move to beef/pork.

Buy an instant read thermometer, can't go wrong with these

http://www.thermoworks.com/Thermapen-Mk4?gclid=Cj0KEQjw4J-6BRD3h_KIoqijwvkBEiQAfcPiBdWKGpLReQ3Arh19n3_Xsb6DAlUGmKuN2K57pT2WtzUaAgU28P8HAQ

Also may want to buy some pigtails to help you move/manage food on the lower levels of you UDS

https://www.vminnovations.com/Product_76589/Jaccard-Pigtail-Food-Flipper-Original-Hardwood-12-19-Combo-Pack-201312.html?rd=gpf_76589&gclid=Cj0KEQjw4J-6BRD3h_KIoqijwvkBEiQAfcPiBfphev5zCaeMaiBvxxoPztuxQUxjQ0s3XWP79DDM3YEaAq4u8P8HAQ

Most of all, enjoy

If your UDS come with a thermometer then there really is no need for an additional one, what's more important is to have an instant/accurate probe in order to keep track of your internal temps, which will be the end all sign that your meats are cooked completely

For your first few cooks I'd go with brined fowl, whole chicken, quarters or thighs.  These will give you a wide range of error in regards to temp and time and still produce a decent product.  Once you have those down as far as favorable temps and times then move to beef/pork.
Good advice. The only thing I'd add is that ribs are a great first choice for a rookie. Ribs are REALLY difficult to screw up. They are the only smoke I do not based on temp but are rather based on time. The 3-2-1 method is pretty fool proof.

Thanks, guys. I ordered the temp checker Buzz recommended. I need to actually go get the cooker, as I had it shipped to my office and was gone before it came in. I know I got a cover, but I think I ordered some other accessories too.

Users who are viewing this thread