Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Alone ( A real survival type show)


Recommended Posts

20 minutes ago, rustycolts said:

Anyone tuning into this.Really pretty interesting.No production crews just the contestants and the cameras.Winner gets 500 grand.I'm pulling for Nichole she seems to have adapted pretty quick.

This is old or season 2.  Watched last year, it was pretty good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Abraham said:

I was on Vancouver island this weekend.  It really doesn't seem like that hard of a place to "rough it."  Just saying. Cool show though. 

I did a hike on the west coast in early spring about 15 years ago when it was still very wet and it was some of the hardest #### I have even done even though it was along the beach or just barely in land the entire way. Biblical mud and awful weather for a couple days: West Coast Trail

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Loved last year.

Unlike Survivor where you don't know exactly where you are going immediately. These people know what is ahead of them and this is why I am surprised some of them fail so miserably. Now listen, I have been a diabetic for 40 years and take 4 shots a day so I would last 2 hours out there, but it just seems if you were a survivalist type and you planned your gear right, you could make it awhile out there. I mean other than the bears and cougars possibly eating you, you should be able to find plants and such to sustain you while making a plan for protein.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, FatUncleJerryBuss said:

This is old or season 2.  Watched last year, it was pretty good.

Season 2. Coincidentally I just started watching episode one today. The season one winner is doing the narrating on this one. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tarp, para chord, sleepin bag, bag cover, knife, pan, canteen, bow and arrows, hatchet and flint.  Any of the consumables would be poor choices. Piece of cake. I can shoot any number of animals in my back yard and I live in the metro area.  I'm assuming you're not restricted with hunting regulations.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm watching it when Nichole catches the salmon in her gill net.She says oh my god oh my god its big it's beautiful so of course I yell at the TV thats what she said,thats what she said.My wife turns around and gives me the ol you really are a dumb ### look.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I love this show, thanks!

 

I was under the impression in S1 that the last guy wins, but they never planned on telling him he was the last one (if not, that's how they SHOULD have it).  But the guy got so dug in and was nature-tutionalizing himself so much that they just told him when first runner up tapped.  I remember when they brought his wife out there to tell him and extract him, he seemed kind of sad, and like took a sec to wait and look at his shelter before leaving.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Walking Boot said:

They're not "roughing it" like a weekend backpacker is roughing it. They're in pretty hard-core survivalism mode.

Big time.  I didn't see any "Bear spray" in that list of 10 things.  In season 1, one guy didn't make it 24 hours.  He was so terrified by the sounds of whatever was out there at night, that he went home.  I think he was a cop.

 

ETA:  and this military dude in s2e1 looks like he can't handle the predators.


LMFAO!

 

ETA2:  and this guy makes it less than, what?  8 hrs?!?!?!  Weak

Edited by cockroach
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, JaxBill said:

In Season 1, it seemed like once people had figured out how to survive a couple weeks, it really boiled down to the mental game of being able to stand the isolation. 

I think really that was the hardest part it really started to get to them after about 3 weeks if I recall correctly.In the first season a guy from Umatilla the town just North of me was on it.Big out doors guy lives up by the Ocala National Forest big time bear country.I think the bears scared him off up there in less than 24 hrs you would have thought he would have been use to bears,guess they are bigger in Vancouver.

 

Edited by rustycolts
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Walking Boot said:

 

I skipped a bunch of items, a basic first aid kit is a given. I didn't see bear spray, but an air horn is on one of the lists, but I can't remember if it's an automatic item or one of the 10. 

The full gear list is on the website. 

Oh man, you get tons of stuff. You made it sound challenging. 

  • Laughing 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Walking Boot said:

Fishing gill net would probably catch more food over the long run than a bow with only 6 arrows. IIRC, the bow and arrows must be mostly wood. Don't know how long they'd hold up. 

 

Really felt for Tracy in the first episode, getting assigned the area where all the mussels were. And she loved mussels and had six months of food there. But there was a red tide and they were all inedible. Again, that's a mental killer. 

Easy to make arrows, especially for small game and they work better with a single wood bow. Plus a bow makes big gama a real possibility.  A couple big game kills and you'd be set.  Gill net not a bad choice though. Might consider doing without something else to have it too.  

Edited by tonydead
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, tonydead said:

Tarp, para chord, sleepin bag, bag cover, knife, pan, canteen, bow and arrows, hatchet and flint.  Any of the consumables would be poor choices. Piece of cake. I can shoot any number of animals in my back yard and I live in the metro area.  I'm assuming you're not restricted with hunting regulations.  

Solid list. Probably go for a pot over a pan if it came to collecting water. And I'd go for either of the fishing related items over bow and arrow.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

i watch this and my only thought is that i would be cutting down a ton of trees and making a wood sided structure just notch and dry stack and then chink with the clayieest mud i could find tarp for a roof with a peak to make water drain off so i would be dryish and have some bear an couger protection then for food i would get to know the easy stuff like slugs and mice and seaweed and i would find projects to help me keep my mind occupied there you have it take that to the bank bromigos 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Walking Boot said:

Fishing gill net would probably catch more food over the long run than a bow with only 6 arrows. IIRC, the bow and arrows must be mostly wood. Don't know how long they'd hold up. 

 

Really felt for Tracy in the first episode, getting assigned the area where all the mussels were. And she loved mussels and had six months of food there. But there was a red tide and they were all inedible. Again, that's a mental killer. 

The only downside with a gill net is you have to get in the water to implement it. Which means cold water in a climate where drying your things could be an issue. Unless you built a canoe like that one guy did. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

also you gotta let nature help you so if you find a creek you build a fish trap using stone rearrangement just something to corale the fish and then you spear them or you make deadfalls and so on basically you want everything around you be a way to make something dead that you can eat so that food is something that is passively accumulated not something you gotta burn calories for bam another riddle solved by the old swcer take that to the bank

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I love this show.  Several contestants this year chose the Pemmican (jerky, but with higher fat and car ratios) and/or gorp.  I was surprised to see that.

The former sniper dude that continues to work out cracks me up.  If he can get steady food then his mental edge will be huge.  

The Nicole chick seems to have it together too and has a nice structure.

The amazing one to me is the Spanish guy from Alaska.  That dude has some skills.  His fire blower and his table and chair are pretty amazing.  

The preacher won't last much longer unless he gets some regular food.  

The Utah guy that keeps trying to kill mice won't last long unless he starts getting food easier.  Last season they said one mouse is like 60 calories.

 

I'm glad they brought back Alan, season 1 winner, to do Narration and behind the scenes stuff (online mostly).  I told my wife last year I'd watch a survivor type show with him.  He's hilarious and very good at surviving.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, SWC said:

i watch this and my only thought is that i would be cutting down a ton of trees and making a wood sided structure just notch and dry stack and then chink with the clayieest mud i could find

Barnwood builders Survivor?

 

Johnny Jett would need to put on a few lbs first in order to make it to week 2.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Poke_4_Life said:

I love this show.  Several contestants this year chose the Pemmican (jerky, but with higher fat and car ratios) and/or gorp.  I was surprised to see that.

The former sniper dude that continues to work out cracks me up.  If he can get steady food then his mental edge will be huge.  

The Nicole chick seems to have it together too and has a nice structure.

The amazing one to me is the Spanish guy from Alaska.  That dude has some skills.  His fire blower and his table and chair are pretty amazing.  

The preacher won't last much longer unless he gets some regular food.  

The Utah guy that keeps trying to kill mice won't last long unless he starts getting food easier.  Last season they said one mouse is like 60 calories.

 

I'm glad they brought back Alan, season 1 winner, to do Narration and behind the scenes stuff (online mostly).  I told my wife last year I'd watch a survivor type show with him.  He's hilarious and very good at surviving.

 

Didn't the second place guy last year - the dude with the tent on the beach - almost live on mice?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, The General said:

I did a hike on the west coast in early spring about 15 years ago when it was still very wet and it was some of the hardest #### I have even done even though it was along the beach or just barely in land the entire way. Biblical mud and awful weather for a couple days: West Coast Trail

 

Yeah - that's a pretty ridiculous thing to say.  The entire Northern and Western part of the island is rain forest and cliffs/mountains and for 9.5 months of the year is wet, windy and cold

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, tonydead said:

Easy to make arrows, especially for small game and they work better with a single wood bow. Plus a bow makes big gama a real possibility.  A couple big game kills and you'd be set.  Gill net not a bad choice though. Might consider doing without something else to have it too.  

Most of those people can barely get off their beaches due to the steep, wet surrounding terrain.  There is also heavy ground cover everywhere.  You might get the occasional squirrel out of a tree, but any kind of ground game would be a major challenge with a primitive bow.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, parrot said:

 

Didn't the second place guy last year - the dude with the tent on the beach - almost live on mice?

Yeah, but he wasn't doing very well on the mice.  That was his biggest problem, not enough calories.  He hung in there for a long time w/ very little food.  Dude was tough.

Also back to the small game, there doesn't seem to be much available.  The terrain is crap and brush is very dense/wet.  Fish (and seaweed) are the only viable nutrition that are easy to harvest without expending tons of calories.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Poke_4_Life said:

I love this show.  Several contestants this year chose the Pemmican (jerky, but with higher fat and car ratios) and/or gorp.  I was surprised to see that.

The former sniper dude that continues to work out cracks me up.  If he can get steady food then his mental edge will be huge.  

The Nicole chick seems to have it together too and has a nice structure.

The amazing one to me is the Spanish guy from Alaska.  That dude has some skills.  His fire blower and his table and chair are pretty amazing.  

The preacher won't last much longer unless he gets some regular food.  

The Utah guy that keeps trying to kill mice won't last long unless he starts getting food easier.  Last season they said one mouse is like 60 calories.

 

I'm glad they brought back Alan, season 1 winner, to do Narration and behind the scenes stuff (online mostly).  I told my wife last year I'd watch a survivor type show with him.  He's hilarious and very good at surviving.

This guy I want to see more of.  First time I saw anyone make a fire blower like that, what a great idea.  Looks like he can bring fire right back from the brink which is a huge help if you don't have to get a new fire bundle and work with flint/steel again and again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

for one of my mind occupying projects i would make punjee stick traps and tiger pit traps just in case pirates attacked then it would be the old swcer sittin up high on wicker furniture swiss family robinson style sayin what now pirates take that to the bank bromigos 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, rick6668 said:

This guy I want to see more of.  First time I saw anyone make a fire blower like that, what a great idea.  Looks like he can bring fire right back from the brink which is a huge help if you don't have to get a new fire bundle and work with flint/steel again and again.

Totally agree I want to see more of that guy.  I have to think he lasts a while, because it seems like the ones they are showing the most clips of at this point are on the 'brink'.  Either that or he's not very good at making footage for them to use which will really suck.  That's the weird dynamic of this show, the producers and editors are relying on the contestants to provide the good/interesting clips.  What if the Alaska chick that sliced her hand open hadn't been filming at the time?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Cjw_55106 said:

Sounds like you are a shoo in for the 500K. Let us know what season you'll be on. 

Not saying it would be fun, but, I certainly wouldn't starve or freeze to death.  500K isn't worth taking a year out of my life for.  Make it 5 mill and we'll talk.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, tonydead said:

Not saying it would be fun, but, I certainly wouldn't starve or freeze to death.  500K isn't worth taking a year out of my life for.  Make it 5 mill and we'll talk.

You've never seen the show and have zero idea how much food is available. From what I recall, no one was eating well last season. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, tonydead said:

Not saying it would be fun, but, I certainly wouldn't starve or freeze to death.  500K isn't worth taking a year out of my life for.  Make it 5 mill and we'll talk.

I know you're being iTough, but you should watch the show before you decide you wouldn't starve or freeze to death.  

You sound to me exactly like the large African American soldier that before the season told his friends if he sees a bear they should be worried for the bear.  He lasted less than 8 hours.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

holy smokes deadtony i would totaly take a year off for 500 large i would have no  mortgage a sweet charger and be sittin on wicker for the rest of my days i guess you must run in the upper tax brackets but for a guy like me hachachacha that is all i am sayin take that to the bank bromigos 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Cjw_55106 said:

You've never seen the show and have zero idea how much food is available. From what I recall, no one was eating well last season. 

 

1 hour ago, Poke_4_Life said:

I know you're being iTough, but you should watch the show before you decide you wouldn't starve or freeze to death.  

You sound to me exactly like the large African American soldier that before the season told his friends if he sees a bear they should be worried for the bear.  He lasted less than 8 hours.  

I live just across the border there fellas.  Why would I have to watch a reality tv show to know what my backyard looks like in real life?  If they weren't starving along with a whole host of other drama it doesn't make for good tv.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, tonydead said:

 

I live just across the border there fellas.  Why would I have to watch a reality tv show to know what my backyard looks like in real life?  If they weren't starving along with a whole host of other drama it doesn't make for good tv.  

Oh, I see. Kind of like Sarah Palin can see Russia from her deck. :thumbup:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

17 minutes ago, Cjw_55106 said:

Oh, I see. Kind of like Sarah Palin can see Russia from her deck. :thumbup:

Whatever makes you feel better.  Our ancestors survived for hundreds of thousands of years as hunters and gatherers with a lot less before the agricultural and industrial revolutions and yet somehow, apparently most of us, would die on Vancouver Island with what complies to be a pretty complete camping set of equipment and tools.  That's laughable and if you believe everything that you see on reality tv you should probably spend less time watching tv and read more.  Start with this link.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think one guy mentioned dying, but hey, whatever makes YOU feel better I guess. It seems you are the only one here trying to pump up your image. Obviously it can be done. Forget ancestors, people are still doing it. That doesn't mean it's easy...like one of us is claiming. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, SWC said:

holy smokes deadtony i would totaly take a year off for 500 large i would have no  mortgage a sweet charger and be sittin on wicker for the rest of my days i guess you must run in the upper tax brackets but for a guy like me hachachacha that is all i am sayin take that to the bank bromigos 

Maybe bromancherro.  Salary and investments all in I stand to make just about that much over the next two years.  Why would I want to spend a year away from my family only to gain one year?  Make it so I can retire 7-10 years earlier than I plan to and it starts to make more sense.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Cjw_55106 said:

I think one guy mentioned dying, but hey, whatever makes YOU feel better I guess. It seems you are the only one here trying to pump up your image. Obviously it can be done. Forget ancestors, people are still doing it. That doesn't mean it's easy...like one of us is claiming. 

 Like I said, don't believe everything you see on reality tv bro, nobody is going to die.  :lmao:  Try reading the link, seriously.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, tonydead said:

 

Whatever makes you feel better.  Our ancestors survived for hundreds of thousands of years as hunters and gatherers with a lot less before the agricultural and industrial revolutions and yet somehow, apparently most of us, would die on Vancouver Island with what complies to be a pretty complete camping set of equipment and tools.  That's laughable and if you believe everything that you see on reality tv you should probably spend less time watching tv and read more.  Start with this link.

Interesting read. Thanks for that.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, tonydead said:

 Like I said, don't believe everything you see on reality tv bro, nobody is going to die.  :lmao:  Try reading the link, seriously.  

Words mean something. I said one guy in this thread mentioned dying (besides you). I never came close to saying anyone in the series was going to die. It's cool. Your "survivor man" and shake your #### at 500 large. Good for you. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, tonydead said:

 

Whatever makes you feel better.  Our ancestors survived for hundreds of thousands of years as hunters and gatherers with a lot less before the agricultural and industrial revolutions and yet somehow, apparently most of us, would die on Vancouver Island with what complies to be a pretty complete camping set of equipment and tools.  That's laughable and if you believe everything that you see on reality tv you should probably spend less time watching tv and read more.  Start with this link.

Good link.

"The fact that all of the contestants had such a hard time finding anywhere near the necessary amount of food, even though they had few other concerns, considering that they had large amounts of camp gear to provide for their other needs, is a very real aspect of the show. I think people often overestimate their ability to find sufficient calories when in the woods, and they certainly underestimate the amount of calories one needs."

Hmmm.... who does that sound like? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
  • Create New...