Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Alone ( A real survival type show)

Man, the guy who went home first said his heart was at 35% after a previous heart attack.  Why would he try to do this and why would they pick him?  

He put all that effort into the shelter, had no food and that was it.

Surprised the one guy didn't bring a fire starter.  Wonder how that will work out for him.  Hope he made some char cloth once he got one going.  Could be a problem if you get a bunch of rainy/damp days strung together.

Liked the one guys idea of bringing a silver handled toothbrush, turned it into a lure. 

My money is on the guy who caught the grouse and harvested all those mushrooms already.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, rick6668 said:

Man, the guy who went home first said his heart was at 35% after a previous heart attack.  Why would he try to do this and why would they pick him?  

He put all that effort into the shelter, had no food and that was it.

Surprised the one guy didn't bring a fire starter.  Wonder how that will work out for him.  Hope he made some char cloth once he got one going.  Could be a problem if you get a bunch of rainy/damp days strung together.

Liked the one guys idea of bringing a silver handled toothbrush, turned it into a lure. 

My money is on the guy who caught the grouse and harvested all those mushrooms already.

Yeah.  I'm pissed that they did that once again.  Taking someone with a heart condition and putting them into an untenable situation know FULL-WELL that they would have be medi-vacked out of there creating TV-Watchable drama.  They did it just for TV drama.  I'm soo pissed off at the producers for this cheap trick.   

My money is on the lure guy as well.

Nice to see no day 1 tapouts...hopefully the producers have learned their lessons there.  After seven seasons it seems to be the younger guys or the emotionally immature guys that tapout early.

I have hunted and am not opposed to certain types of hunting, but it makes me cringe when the chick is talking about taking down 29 of the North American mammals(or whatever).  I just don't get the personal desire to kill beautiful animals for sport.  I have no problem with deer hunting and hunting of other animals that aren't rare and need population control etc.   

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, TripItUp said:

My money is on the lure guy as well.

Nice to see no day 1 tapouts...hopefully the producers have learned their lessons there.  After seven seasons it seems to be the younger guys or the emotionally immature guys that tapout early.

I have hunted and am not opposed to certain types of hunting, but it makes me cringe when the chick is talking about taking down 29 of the North American mammals(or whatever).  I just don't get the personal desire to kill beautiful animals for sport.  I have no problem with deer hunting and hunting of other animals that aren't rare and need population control etc.   

Doubt she'll be doing it for sport.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, identikit said:

Doubt she'll be doing it for sport.

She said it was her goal to be one of the few women to do it.  A separate topic from hunting on the show I suppose.

Generally I don't like the idea of contestants killing big game, unless population control is prudent.  The show has mentioned on a few episodes that some of the animals are protected...one of the species of deer in patagonia for example was protected if memory serves.

obviously don't care about rabbits/fish/rodents etc.

Edited by TripItUp

1 minute ago, TripItUp said:

she said it was her goal to be one of the few women to do it...separate conversation from the show.

generally I don't like the idea of contestants killing big game, unless population control is prudent...they have mentioned on a few shows that some of the animals they can't kill...one of the species of deer in patagonia for example was protected if memory serves.

Within the framework of the contest, it's not a problem for me.

1 minute ago, identikit said:

Within the framework of the contest, it's not a problem for me.

yeah, I get it.  Coming from a family of hunters, some people just like hunting.

I was rooting for the mountain lion to get away in episode 1 for example.  

1 minute ago, TripItUp said:

yeah, I get it.  Coming from a family of hunters, some people just like hunting.

I was rooting for the mountain lion to get away in episode 1 for example.  

LOL...I rooted for the shark in Jaws 2

I've never been hunting.

I was half watching.  Wasn't toothbrush lure guy the one who quit??  I get the idea to use the toothbrush since it is a "free" item, but don't most people find a can or something along the coast to make their lure.

I am assuming the hippee without a fire starter drops after 20-30 days.  His "vision quest" will be done and he won't see the need to continue to be away from his family.

Don't think I could have stared down a mountain lion that close.

Liked the rusty nail into a "musk ox shank" guy.

I watched the interview after the episode, was it not a heart attack??  What if it was a real heart attack and the guy wasn't near his satellite phone, do the producers just find him dead at their 5 day health check.  Do they wear a  smart watch or something that the producers can monitor in real time and respond if they see something off?

• Like 1

If they let the guy with the bad heart condition on, surprised they didn't let him keep some aspirin (considering that was the first thing they gave him).

yeah the no Firestarter is going to be a huge problem when there's a foot of snow on ground and it's dumping more.

Rose needs to reinforce the walls on her "permanent " shelter better. Wonder if she has anymore bear berries?

I was today years old when I learned Pagan Folk music was a thing.

17 hours ago, rick6668 said:

Surprised the one guy didn't bring a fire starter. 

I've watched all of Alone and probably close to all of Naked and Afraid. This never, ever works out. I don't care how good you are at making fire in your backyard or local nature center, this is a whole new ball game. IMO he's going to be screwed once it hits winter and keeping that fire going becomes super dificult. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I understand people wondering why heart attack guy was let on the show. However,  it’s pretty clear he did not have a heart attack. They never mentioned it specifically, but I think he was having an anxiety/panic attack and because of his history, he was understandably worried.

I’m not a big fan of the toothbrush lure guy. I think it just opens the door for people trying to sneak in advantages. 

9 hours ago, Frostillicus said:

I've watched all of Alone and probably close to all of Naked and Afraid. This never, ever works out. I don't care how good you are at making fire in your backyard or local nature center, this is a whole new ball game. IMO he's going to be screwed once it hits winter and keeping that fire going becomes super dificult. 

Yeah, this is destined to be a bad time.

What's crazy is that after the first several seasons, no one caught anything but fish, but now guys are legit getting decent game in the first episodes. Doubt anything will ever beat the moose but it's definitely in play. 

2 minutes ago, Runkle said:

What's crazy is that after the first several seasons, no one caught anything but fish, but now guys are legit getting decent game in the first episodes. Doubt anything will ever beat the moose but it's definitely in play. 

The muskox with a knife was pretty substantial.

Hey bear. St croix guy seemed so calm for having a grizzly mom and her cubs close enough to get picked up on his go pro audio. 

Heart attack Jacks shack was one of the nicer ones I've seen on the show...down to the spacing of the framing elements. Other than the heart, he seemed primed to make a run.

1 hour ago, identikit said:
1 hour ago, TripItUp said:

what season was this?

Last season, I think?

Roland, last season. Looked ready to spend the next decade there.

• Thanks 1

On 6/4/2021 at 7:10 PM, UOFI_316 said:

I was half watching.  Wasn't toothbrush lure guy the one who quit?? 

Yes.  Grouse/fish/mushroom guy made a lure out of something else, too, so I think maybe they're being mixed up.

On 6/4/2021 at 7:29 PM, JaxBill said:

I was today years old when I learned Pagan Folk music was a thing.

:lmao: 

11 hours ago, Cjw_55106 said:

I understand people wondering why heart attack guy was let on the show. However,  it’s pretty clear he did not have a heart attack. They never mentioned it specifically, but I think he was having an anxiety/panic attack and because of his history, he was understandably worried.

I’m not a big fan of the toothbrush lure guy. I think it just opens the door for people trying to sneak in advantages. 

Toothbrush lure guy (Tim) is heart attack guy.  Agree with you he was just having a panic attack.

On 6/4/2021 at 7:11 AM, rick6668 said:

Luckily it never rains in this area.  :lol:  Yeah, monumentally stupid.  I think that guy is also starting waaaaaay too skinny for this.  He doesn't stand a chance.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, BroncoFreak_2K3 said:

They’ve only introduced 5 (minus Tim now) so far, correct? 

Yes.  Rose, Clay, Biko, Matt, and Tim.

• Thanks 1

On 6/5/2021 at 12:38 AM, Frostillicus said:

Ferro rod would be the easiest thing to sneak onto the show.  You don't need the super sized ferro rods everyone is toting, part of that is the longer and larger it is, the easiest it is to handle. Also the striking surface is larger and, in theory, it's much harder to lose when it's the jumbo sized version.

In some podcasts, former contestants have said they rigged colorful lanyards on their ferro rods and those additions were removed by the show's staff. Which honestly makes no sense to me at all. Anyone who wants to attach a bright large colorful identifier of some type to their ferro rod should be allowed to do it, as long as it can't be converted in mass cordage.

My guess is this contestant snuck in a mini ferro rod in his "prison wallet"  For this kind of money, I  can see someone doing it. Think about the utility. If you sneak in a ferro rod, you can take in a multi tool in it's place. Or a gill net. Or a saw.

On 6/6/2021 at 10:38 AM, BroncoFreak_2K3 said:

They’ve only introduced 5 (minus Tim now) so far, correct? 

On 6/6/2021 at 10:41 AM, krista4 said:

Yes.  Rose, Clay, Biko, Matt, and Tim.

Seemed to barely touch the surface of the contestants.  Also several days (6?) passed on the first episode.  Wife and I called it that WY (heart guy) was going home first episode, they just showed him too much.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Poke_4_Life said:

Seemed to barely touch the surface of the contestants.  Also several days (6?) passed on the first episode.  Wife and I called it that WY (heart guy) was going home first episode, they just showed him too much.  

When they show the others, the days will start over. 

5 minutes ago, Cjw_55106 said:

When they show the others, the days will start over. 

Yeah, I think they switched to this format over the last couple of seasons.  Just seemed jarring to only get 6 on ep 1.  

I'm not sure which way was better, because in the other way we would have seen them all getting dropped on ep 1 but so quick that we wouldn't really know who they were.  Now we have to wait a week to even meet half the contestants and one is already gone.  

7 minutes ago, Runkle said:

Plus the winner is most likely going to be seen in episode 1 so it only signals who the also-rans are when they don't show up until the second week. 

I don't know that I agree with that.  Seems like Roland was not in every episode last year, no idea if he was in ep 1.  

• Like 1

On 6/5/2021 at 3:21 PM, El Floppo said:

Roland, last season. Looked ready to spend the next decade there.

Roland was the most fascinating person who has been on this show imo. No chance any of these people can match him. 

They should’ve paid Roland 50k for every 10 more days he was out there. Would have loved to seen how long he could have gone. 

On 6/5/2021 at 7:50 PM, krista4 said:
On 6/4/2021 at 7:11 AM, rick6668 said:

Luckily it never rains in this area.  :lol:  Yeah, monumentally stupid.  I think that guy is also starting waaaaaay too skinny for this.  He doesn't stand a chance.

Yeah you would thing everyone would learn the lesson about a fire starter after last year and that guy was so proud of his fire starting skills then couldn’t get one going for days.  He almost quit because of it and about had a heart attack when the fire went out while he was sleeping a few weeks later.

53 minutes ago, Capella said:

Roland was the most fascinating person who has been on this show imo. No chance any of these people can match him. 

They should’ve paid Roland 50k for every 10 more days he was out there. Would have loved to seen how long he could have gone. 

He'd still be out there.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bracie Smathers said:

I forgot it was on last night but fortunately the History Channel already uploaded it so you can watch on demand.

Will wait at least a day to comment to allow people to catch up so as not to spoil anything.

I forgot too... Thanks.

2 hours ago, BroncoFreak_2K3 said:

I like the girl from the UK. Awesome shelter.

Seems to be an underrated aspect of the competition.

Season 7, everybody complaining about the cold, Callie has frostbite etc.  meanwhile, Roland’s shelter has three walls made of rock or mountain...zero cold issues.

Edited by TripItUp
  • Like 2

Just me but this season contestants don’t hold a candle to previous two.   The first 7 days includes 1 fish and. 2 gourish. I understand shelters are important but this is ridiculous..

18 minutes ago, stlrams said:

Just me but this season contestants don’t hold a candle to previous two.   The first 7 days includes 1 fish and. 2 gourish. I understand shelters are important but this is ridiculous..

They need to mix it up landscape wise.  I liked how different Mongolia was.

11 hours ago, stlrams said:

I think finding that balance would be a bit difficult. The most energy you’re going to have is likely to be when you first start. Using that to get shelter built seems like good usage. But obviously you need to balance that with keeping energy stores up high enough.

I’m actually just starting to watch the show. I’m starting with last season on Netflix. I’m about 5 or 6 episodes in. Interestingly enough, Roland has had very little meat/fish. He’s existed primarily on berries, roots, ants and moss so far. It was like 3 weeks in before he caught his first 2 fish and after a month that’s still all he’s caught. Of course the next episode I find out if he took down the musk ox or not.

Compare that to Joel who has spent a ton of time looking for game/fish and whose progress building a shelter seems to have stalled at walls that are like 4 logs high. With snow starting to hit, it sure seems like he’s not long for this competition.

14 hours ago, BroncoFreak_2K3 said:

I like the girl from the UK. Awesome shelter.

Shelter wise she looks like a winner.  Below ground and sturdy..

• Like 1

I love this show. I think Nate has a chance to take this thing. He has that mental toughness and he is accustomed to being away from his family. 

I am amazed that this show has survived. With the PC culture we live in, I figured PETA or one of those organizations would do all they could to get it taken off the air. I admit I kind of cringed when they killed the porcupines last year. They are some of my favorite animals to observe at out local zoo as they have such unique personalities. 

• Like 1

Haven't watched the second episode yet, but I'm always surprised at the beginning that they don't try to set up more passive ways to get food:  deadfalls, snares, fixed lines in the water, etc.   You can spend your energy on your shelter but if you get lucky you also have food.   Maybe they don't show it, but it seems like you should always be trying for food.  

Love the boat and the pit house.

The 'tarp' used to build the boat isn't a typical 'tarp'.  Its thicker and obviously water proofed and shaped to slide over a frame.  I think the boat-guy exchanged his fire starter for that boat frame 'tarp'.  

I love the boat and had thought someone would eventually figure out the advantages of having a boat.  

The pit house is a huge advantage once it dips below freezing, that is when fire starter guy could be in trouble but I love the boat.

One thing I think that someone will come up with is a pump drill where they will engineer a foot-pedal to 'pump' the drill to make it easier.

Edited by Bracie Smathers

I still think they should do an Alone season with people like me, who don’t know how to build or kill anything. Instead of day 12 on an episode it would be hour 12 and all the rescue boats would just be a few hundred feet offshore waiting. Whomever gets to day 5 or doesn’t get eaten by a bear (whichever comes first) wins. 

Edited by Capella
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Laughing 2

1 hour ago, Capella said:

I still think they should do an Alone season with people like me, who don’t know how to build or kill anything. Instead of day 12 on an episode it would be hour 12 and all the rescue boats would just be a few hundred feet offshore waiting. Whomever gets to day 5 or doesn’t get eaten by a bear (whichever comes first) wins. 

i'd watch.

• Thanks 1
  • Laughing 1

Theyre making boat guy out to be some lovable clown type, not made for this. But the moments they show of his shelter- looks great. And the boat, once he gets an outrigger going, also looks great...as long as he stops dropping hos knife on it.

I agree about any kimd of passive hunting...aside from attracting more bear for easy buffet eating, seems the way to go here.

And love the pit house by uk woman. Really surprised nobody's dont that before.