What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Alone ( A real survival type show) (1 Viewer)

Good link.

"The fact that all of the contestants had such a hard time finding anywhere near the necessary amount of food, even though they had few other concerns, considering that they had large amounts of camp gear to provide for their other needs, is a very real aspect of the show. I think people often overestimate their ability to find sufficient calories when in the woods, and they certainly underestimate the amount of calories one needs."

Hmmm.... who does that sound like? 
You have to read the entire blog in context:

Considering the above abundance of gear, the fact that so many contestants couldn’t last even a handful of days in the woods, on what was pretty much a camping trip, is mind blowing. It shows the reality of what it takes to spend prolonged amounts of time in the woods. These are people who considered themselves skilled at bushcraft and survival, who have YouTube channels, who want to open bushcraft schools, etc, yet they couldn’t do what any self respecting backpacker can accomplish without even a second thought.
A+ on the cherry picking though.  

You have to read the entire blog in context:

A+ on the cherry picking though.  
I did read the entire thing.  He mentions more than once that the real difficulty is in sufficient food procurement, the very problem you're scoffing at because you can apparently shoot a feral cat in your backyard.  

I did read the entire thing.  He mentions more than once that the real difficulty is in sufficient food procurement, the very problem you're scoffing at because you can apparently shoot a feral cat in your backyard.   three different types of deer and too many rabbits to shake a stick at.  And the less desirable squirrel, possum, raccoon, etc.  Elk can usually be found bedding down a few miles to the east just before winter.  
If you read it then you should have picked up on how easy it would have been to hunt the clearings and logging roads that were within minutes of each contestant.   And FYP.

Simply implying it's awesome that there's always someone at FBG's who's top tier elite at something; be it boxing, gambling, survival, etc.

Thanks.

So we should pick favorites for this psychological challenge.  I'll take the Spanish guy who has my favorite quote, 'Humility prevents Humiliation.' 
He is the obvious odds on favorite but Oregon lady is a nice darkhorse candidate.

The guy wasting calories exercising is an idiot.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you read it then you should have picked up on how easy it would have been to hunt the clearings and logging roads that were within minutes of each contestant.   And FYP.
Bowhunting success rates usually run about 15%-25% for elk and deer IIRC, that's with modern equipment and hunters choosing where they want to hunt.  But yeah, you're probably right, hunting would be easy.  It's amazing none of these seasoned outdoorsmen has thought of it.  

My money is on the Colorado guy. He already has indoor running water for Pete's sake. But he seems a little emotionally fragile and missing his wife kind of early. 

The Spanish guy is a close tie. He seems pretty solid. 

The sniper, while his indoor urinal tube, is pretty cool. He is a fool for spending time making a gym. Watching the first season, you have to know you have a window of opportunity to get wood, shelter and a hunting system down before the winter weather hits. 

The minister and the guy that they previewed getting his camp eaten by a mouse, don't stand a chance 

Nicole shows promise she has a pretty kick butt camp, but I can see her having one big emotional breakdown night and it is all over. 

The Isis bearded dude may be a great survivalist in the real world,but losing your fire starter is a death blow. It is just a matter of time for him. 

I wonder who the wolf Attacks??

I think I'm going to be pulling for Nichole.My wife has MS just as Nichole has (guess she is in remission) I want her to see Nichole as an example why you never give up and let the disease beat you.I think the psychological aspect of being totally alone can be as tough as the search for food.I also really liked the guys indoor pisser being over 50 that would really come in handy for me would hate to have to go outside umpteen times a night.

Sorry fellas for being an igrump today.  I wont come back in here.  Enjoy the show.
tony wait !!!

we gots some rich folk in here, maybe we could raise the 5 mil needed to get you on the show. :popcorn:

the resulting thread would no doubt become internet legend.

I think the psychological aspect of being totally alone can be as tough as the search for food
I remember the winner from s1 musing and saying, "This is the freest I'll ever be" or something like that.  If he's speaking as someone who's finally escaping his wife and kids after a decade, I guess I can see that.  But camping like that seems like it's more in line with being put in "the hole" in jail.  Solitary confinement, except maybe not as comfy.  Sure, there are awesome days and the view is much better on VanIsle than in a cell.  But when that weather hits and calories become even scarcer, you're pretty much huddled up in your shelter all day with nothing but your mind to keep you occupied.  Sure, you've got projects and a whittling stick, but those hrs before bed at night and when you wake up mid night from loud weather, trees falling, animals/predators snooping must be so unbelievably hard.

Catching up on last night's show. Larry was most certainly a sailor at some  point.  Wow!

I am not a  "cusser" but I don't know how it's possible to just go on a rant that just flows like he does when he gets ticked.

Good Ep.  I can relate to the guy cussing up a storm, who moved his camp, too much .  Looks like he really gets screwed next week (or maybe that was gym guy).  I don't think he has the right mentality/temperament for outdoor living.   Him and the guy making a sweat lodge are most likely to go next.

Nichole is thriving and has an awesome shelter that'll survive the winter, but don't really see her making any other long term moves.   For some reason I think the wolf comes after her.

Spaniard is still the big favorite for me, but I don't know how he's going to protect a big harvest of salmon against bears unless one of his 10 items was a bear box.  The other guy with the plastic boat is a major contender as well (Thank you Jesus).

My sister lives across the street from the woman from Portland.  I forgot her name, but she runs a wilderness camp that she bought after she got divorced.  She's pretty cute.  She wasn't allowed to say anything about the show, but she told my sister that she went pretty far, with a wink.  My money is on her.

So Nichole is so full she is letting fish go,while some of the others are damn near starving.I wonder how its decided who gets what camp.They had to know some would be more conducive for food than others.

Glad you guys bumped this.  After my "where is this on" on page one I found it and have caught up with all of season two, with a little season one sprinkled in.  I love this show!  Haven't watched this week's yet, but I was amazed in the last couple of weeks that the guy who had basically built a new Disneyland went home because he missed his wife or whatever.  Sheesh.  He had it made, especially compared to constantly cursing guy, whom I really love for the drama of it.  Larry(? constantly cursing guy) has had such bad luck and sometimes stupidity, but he hangs in there.  Admire that.

Still think Nicole will be one of the last standing, and the Spanish guy if he gets his boat built in time.  The ingenuity of these people is just amazing.

Oh, and Mr krista and I both select tarp, hatchet, paracord, sleeping bag, pot, flint rod, gill net, leatherman, 1 roll of duct tape or electrical tape...for the tenth item Mr. krista takes a sharpening tool and I take a shovel.

Great show. Never would have heard of it if not for this. About half way through season 2 (season 1 not available).

Does seem like they screwed some people with the campsites, or really just Nichole's is so much better. She walks 20 feet in ankle deep water to get a fresh salmon every day. Meanwhile the older guy with grey hair can't get anything. Nichole is a badass though with her knowledge. 

Interesting seeing how they all handle themselves and set up camp. Weather there can suck really bad for camping but they have have been lucky so far, if they stick around into winter people will be dropping out really fast.

The Naked and Afraid show are the nut jobs don't even know what they get paid, these guys at least get stuff and are going for 500K.

Great show. Never would have heard of it if not for this. About half way through season 2 (season 1 not available).

Does seem like they screwed some people with the campsites, or really just Nichole's is so much better. She walks 20 feet in ankle deep water to get a fresh salmon every day. Meanwhile the older guy with grey hair can't get anything. Nichole is a badass though with her knowledge. 

Interesting seeing how they all handle themselves and set up camp. Weather there can suck really bad for camping but they have have been lucky so far, if they stick around into winter people will be dropping out really fast.

The Naked and Afraid show are the nut jobs don't even know what they get paid, these guys at least get stuff and are going for 500K.
You can go to the History channels web site and watch season 1

I watched Season 1...thought it was pretty good, not great.  

How does Season 2 compare with Season 1?  Same, better, worse?

I did a hike on the west coast in early spring about 15 years ago when it was still very wet and it was some of the hardest #### I have even done even though it was along the beach or just barely in land the entire way. Biblical mud and awful weather for a couple days: West Coast Trail
I start the WCT in about a week.  Should be a lot easier in summer.  But I'm still planning on major mud.  How did you enjoy it?

Really enjoying this season... :thumbup:

Each year they do this is going to get tougher as last year ended on day 56, this year I think as of last night they are at day 58 or 59.. People will start going in knowing it could take 3 months to win.

Nicole was kicking butt until the seals found her net.. Since then she went downhill fast. Wasn't surprising to see her tap out last night.

Larry is absolutely losing it.. Should have probably tapped out a week ago.. I understand "pushing" yourself, but he is beyond pushed at this point.
Might take a few months of therapy for him to recover.

I start the WCT in about a week.  Should be a lot easier in summer.  But I'm still planning on major mud.  How did you enjoy it?
You will love it. I did the trail twice, once in the early spring as I mentioned earlier, the second time was middle of summer and I don't even remember the mud being that bad. There are some cool river crossing contraptions and a ton of crazy ladders to climb. It's been a while but there used to be a place in the middle where you could buy a hamburger and some snacks, cash only. That was awesome.

Fingers crossed for you that you get good weather. 

You will love it. I did the trail twice, once in the early spring as I mentioned earlier, the second time was middle of summer and I don't even remember the mud being that bad. There are some cool river crossing contraptions and a ton of crazy ladders to climb. It's been a while but there used to be a place in the middle where you could buy a hamburger and some snacks, cash only. That was awesome.

Fingers crossed for you that you get good weather. 
Still a bit far out to be sure on weather in Port Renfrew, but as of right now it looks sunny most of my trip (40% chance at rain the first 2 days and nice the rest).  My first day on trail is the 17th.  Thanks for the info, I'm psyched for it, I saw pictures of the trail last year and decided I'd try and get a permit during the high season.

snogger said:
Really enjoying this season... :thumbup:

Each year they do this is going to get tougher as last year ended on day 56, this year I think as of last night they are at day 58 or 59.. People will start going in knowing it could take 3 months to win.

Nicole was kicking butt until the seals found her net.. Since then she went downhill fast. Wasn't surprising to see her tap out last night.

Larry is absolutely losing it.. Should have probably tapped out a week ago.. I understand "pushing" yourself, but he is beyond pushed at this point.
Might take a few months of therapy for him to recover.
I'm disappointed to see Nicole go.  Like you said, as soon as her food sources became more scarce, she lost it.  I thought she had more going on than that.  Don't get me wrong - she's still badass.  But Larry and the nice Michigan guy whose name I never remember (David?) had almost no food for six weeks.  Now, they have both lost their minds, but still...they're in it.  I'm actually rooting for one of them to win now.  

I thought it was interesting, by the way, that the last four standing were between 44-49 years old.  Seems like there's a sweet spot of being not so young as to be flaky but not so old as to not be able to do it physically.  Could just be an anomaly, I suppose, but given the ages started between 28-55 I was surprised to see such a small age range with the final four.

Will be surprised if the Spanish guy doesn't win, think that guy could live out there forever. A Kindle with solar charger would go a long way out there.

Will be surprised if the Spanish guy doesn't win, think that guy could live out there forever. A Kindle with solar charger would go a long way out there.
I mean the Spanish guy should win because frankly I am amazed these last two guys made it two days as mentally unstable as they are. The only disappointing thing about the Spanish dude is he spent all this time building a boat and didn't get a stable food line going,.

I want to know when the episode where the wolf attacks one of the guys is coming. They keep showing it in the coming attractions.

I mean the Spanish guy should win because frankly I am amazed these last two guys made it two days as mentally unstable as they are. The only disappointing thing about the Spanish dude is he spent all this time building a boat and didn't get a stable food line going,.

I want to know when the episode where the wolf attacks one of the guys is coming. They keep showing it in the coming attractions.
I was wondering what's up with that wolf.

The grey haired guy haired guy actually has come around I think. He doesn't seem to get too low and has a good outlook.

:shock:

The winner was the one I would have wanted to win, but crap.  If runner-up (trying not to spoil anything) had known how close he was...

Love both these guys.

If runner-up (trying not to spoil anything) had known how close he was...

Gotta think he'll regret tapping for the rest of his life despite his "gave it all" speech.   That said,  I don't know how close it actually was.  The winner was in pretty good spirits when they were doing the medical check up, was talking about day 70 and saying how he was eating crab every night, "Why would I want to go home?".  He looked like hell and he took that spill, but was okay mentally.  The other guy was breaking, if he didn't give it all physically, he likely gave it all mentally.  I feel really bad for him,  It'll be interesting to see how he's coping on the follow up show next week.  He got some good self-therapy in, so he probably sees it as a gain and his life is better, but I could see how that could be devastating if he fell into his old way of "half empty" thinking. 

Gotta think he'll regret tapping for the rest of his life despite his "gave it all" speech.   That said,  I don't know how close it actually was.  The winner was in pretty good spirits when they were doing the medical check up, was talking about day 70 and saying how he was eating crab every night, "Why would I want to go home?".  He looked like hell and he took that spill, but was okay mentally.  The other guy was breaking, if he didn't give it all physically, he likely gave it all mentally.  I feel really bad for him,  It'll be interesting to see how he's coping on the follow up show next week.  He got some good self-therapy in, so he probably sees it as a gain and his life is better, but I could see how that could be devastating if he fell into his old way of "half empty" thinking. 
Agreed with the bolded. I thought the runner-up was done when he gave up on fishing. He had no long-term plan.

I'd like a breakdown of before/after of weight/waist/blood pressure type stuff for the last 3 guys.  I was kinda surprised the runner-up held on as long as he did. It sounded liek his "good" days were 360 calories intake.  That's concentration camp level stuff.

Feel good for the winner, he had a much more positive outlook throughout.

Just finished. That guy kicked ###. Crazy they were out in the middle of BFE and you could still see clear cuts in the background hills. 

I think they made him sit out there an extra day after the other guy tapped out :lol:  that's just mean.

Users who are viewing this thread