What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Alone ( A real survival type show) (2 Viewers)

I found myself at times admiring Matt's perspective on life. Sadly, I more often found myself convinced he has mental issues. 
I laughed my ### off when Matt went into his rant about people eating pretzels and potato chips watching him starve for ENTERTAINMENT!  Hysterical, lol.  Then to add insult to injury he literally tips over a hornist nest and gets stung, lol.  Now THAT'S entertainment, lol.  

The producers allowed a guy with only 37% of his heart functioning and he taps after 5 days.  Then they have an exoskeleton woman with an EATING DISORDER who doesn't last 25 days AND a guy with 3 back surgeries who taps at the same time.  Oh and lets but a guy from the topics who doesn't wear shoes or take a fire starter who is also exoskeletal and watch him starve and flail away.  Lets toss in a tear jerk story about a guy who lost his 2 year old and see him go insane.   

If that wasn't enough place them in griz territory and not let them hunt them, take away gill nets for 45 days, take away the ability to hunt squirrels, and if you noticed no-one is setting snares.  Why?  They aren't allowed to use metal wires to set snares.  Don't ask me why.  The only things they can hunt are, grouse, rabbits but good luck finding any and no wire snares, fish, and a very-limited population of deer.

Clay had the HUGE advantage heading in since his forte is hunting deer with a bow.  He has it down to a science and they did an excellent job showing how he scoped out the immediate vicinity to his shelter and found all of the down timber.  If anyone has ever crossed something like that... let me tell ya it took me over 20 minutes to get 80 feet into some jack-strawed fire-downed timber and I nearly broke a leg.  Their was no way he could hunt in that crap.  

He figured it out and found limited sign about 3 miles from his camp.  He took down the buck 2.5 miles from camp and humped the carcass back-and-forth in griz territory.  ENORMOUS effort and knowledge to get that venison.

The only challenger who stands a shot in hell is Colter especially if his fish trap works so he can passively reap benefits of his uber-cool hand made boat.  

Still want to see how the pit house fairs in cold climes and it looks like Biko takes a bad tumble in the teaser for next week so I hope he doesn't get severely injured or is forced to tap for that reason.      

Ok... I'm all in hating the faux accent. Was done in a funny way in the movie, Mr Jealousy (Baumbachs 2nd)...but this isnt funny. And shes inconsistent within a single sentence. I do wonder if shes doing it on purpose to get interest...the way the american former tour de france rider, commentator would intentionally say Tour Day France on air just to irritate francophiles.

Mission accomplished fake accent woman.
i keep imagining English people watching this show and getting furiously angry that her English accent vacillates between like 11 different parts of England in a single episode.

she doesn't even try sticking to a Manchester accent (whatever that sounds like), but she waffles between multiple different versions in a single scene even.

I laughed my ### off when Matt went into his rant about people eating pretzels and potato chips watching him starve for ENTERTAINMENT!  Hysterical, lol.  Then to add insult to injury he literally tips over a hornist nest and gets stung, lol.  Now THAT'S entertainment, lol.  

The producers allowed a guy with only 37% of his heart functioning and he taps after 5 days.  Then they have an exoskeleton woman with an EATING DISORDER who doesn't last 25 days AND a guy with 3 back surgeries who taps at the same time.  Oh and lets but a guy from the topics who doesn't wear shoes or take a fire starter who is also exoskeletal and watch him starve and flail away.  Lets toss in a tear jerk story about a guy who lost his 2 year old and see him go insane.   

If that wasn't enough place them in griz territory and not let them hunt them, take away gill nets for 45 days, take away the ability to hunt squirrels, and if you noticed no-one is setting snares.  Why?  They aren't allowed to use metal wires to set snares.  Don't ask me why.  The only things they can hunt are, grouse, rabbits but good luck finding any and no wire snares, fish, and a very-limited population of deer.

Clay had the HUGE advantage heading in since his forte is hunting deer with a bow.  He has it down to a science and they did an excellent job showing how he scoped out the immediate vicinity to his shelter and found all of the down timber.  If anyone has ever crossed something like that... let me tell ya it took me over 20 minutes to get 80 feet into some jack-strawed fire-downed timber and I nearly broke a leg.  Their was no way he could hunt in that crap.  

He figured it out and found limited sign about 3 miles from his camp.  He took down the buck 2.5 miles from camp and humped the carcass back-and-forth in griz territory.  ENORMOUS effort and knowledge to get that venison.

The only challenger who stands a shot in hell is Colter especially if his fish trap works so he can passively reap benefits of his uber-cool hand made boat.  

Still want to see how the pit house fairs in cold climes and it looks like Biko takes a bad tumble in the teaser for next week so I hope he doesn't get severely injured or is forced to tap for that reason.      
They really did do a terrible job casting this year. The guy who lost his child should have never been allowed out there, utterly insane. Not just for the purposes of the show but his own mental health. What were they thinking. 

Allowing the guy with only 37% heart capacity on the show was insane. I’m wondering if part of it is there simply not being a huge pool of people who are legit qualified AND who also have a desire to be on tv and do all the camera stuff to be on a show. I’m guessing there are plenty of slightly nutty folks who have tremendous off the grid skills who would never even consider being on a show and being so exposed to the world.

Capella said:
They really did do a terrible job casting this year. The guy who lost his child should have never been allowed out there, utterly insane. Not just for the purposes of the show but his own mental health. What were they thinking. 
Ratings.  Get that emotional response and people watch the train wreck.

GroveDiesel said:
Allowing the guy with only 37% heart capacity on the show was insane. I’m wondering if part of it is there simply not being a huge pool of people who are legit qualified AND who also have a desire to be on tv and do all the camera stuff to be on a show. I’m guessing there are plenty of slightly nutty folks who have tremendous off the grid skills who would never even consider being on a show and being so exposed to the world.
That really did piss me off, letting a guy with only 37% of his heart functioning where his own doctor told him going on the show was a bad idea so he had to literally sign away his life to just get on the show.

He said he used to mock the people on the show from his couch saying he could do better when obviously an old fat heart attack survivor can't.  No need to push the point but once again they did it for ratings.

Same thing with the skinny eating disorder booger eating lady and the 3 time back surgery ex-military guy whose limbs were going numb every night.  

Cold Dead Hands said:
I have family that would thrive on this show but can’t afford to risk months of no income. I think that limits the pool as well.
I'm pretty certain participants have to get paid to appear on camera starting with boot camp.  The pool of people is at least two-groups deep just in case someone backs out they have replacements.  

Lots of  people have their own YouTube channels where they do survival 'stuff' and people nominate them.  That is how Clay the deer killer, the Lander Lady the pit house girl, the guy who lost his 2 year old child, and others got on the show. 

People who follow their YouTube channels kept harping at them and many former participants contact them as well and tell they that they should try out for the show.  I would imagine their is a 'finders-fee'.  They may have had trouble a few years ago finding people but now that the show has become soo popular I have to think they have a big enough pool to choose the most 'TV-friendly' contestants. 

That is why I am soo cynical about them selecting they guy with only 37% of his heart, or a guy who still grieving his 2 year old daughter's death, I think that was an overt ratings ploy.  They knew/were expecting TV-made drama and got it.  I don't think it was an accident or that the show doesn't have enough qualified contestants.  They judiciously choose the people with built-in drama and the most photogenic/camera friendly personality people like Biko.

Im pretty big on letting adults make adult decisions. If you are not in the right frame of mind to do the show, thats on you to not apply. I can see time away from society being a good thing for some people and a terrible thing for others. Im not going to blame the big, bad, TV people for casting someone when things dont end up on the good side. 

Im pretty big on letting adults make adult decisions. If you are not in the right frame of mind to do the show, thats on you to not apply. I can see time away from society being a good thing for some people and a terrible thing for others. Im not going to blame the big, bad, TV people for casting someone when things dont end up on the good side. 
I am blaming the sleazy POS TV ratings people.   F-em.

My feelings are the producers got tired of "how many can last 100 days+" and the editing it took to try and keep the show interesting. Last season they were jumping ahead 10+ days during a hour episode.. :yawn:

So, they choose a spot they knew would thin the herd early.. No gill nets for the first 45 days.. No hunting squirrels, no rabbits that we've seen.. Not to mention, Grizzly bears everywhere & Mountain Lions that are competing against you for food. 

I may have asked this in a previous season, do the contestants wear some sort of heart/pulse monitor that sends a signal to the producers??   Do the cameras send out a video signal that the producers can watch in real time?? I know they do 5 day medical checks, but if a grizzly decided to attack and the contestant died, how long would it take for them to be found?  Or even just a bad slip on a rock and they whack their head and are out cold, or break a leg and are trying to crawl their way back to their pack.

Also, can't believe the "make a giant pile of berries next to my firepit in bear country" strategy did not work out like he thought it would.  At least deer hunter dug out a pit and buried his stash of berries.

I may have asked this in a previous season, do the contestants wear some sort of heart/pulse monitor that sends a signal to the producers??   Do the cameras send out a video signal that the producers can watch in real time?? I know they do 5 day medical checks, but if a grizzly decided to attack and the contestant died, how long would it take for them to be found?  Or even just a bad slip on a rock and they whack their head and are out cold, or break a leg and are trying to crawl their way back to their pack.

Also, can't believe the "make a giant pile of berries next to my firepit in bear country" strategy did not work out like he thought it would.  At least deer hunter dug out a pit and buried his stash of berries.
They have a "I've fallen and can't get up" button they can push (that i think they're required to carry at all times- although not sure where theyre carrying it on their cold water dips) along with their sat phone for the tv official tap-out.

This random pronunciation of vowels thing grew on me a little with Catherine O’Hara on Schitt’s Creek.

On this show, it makes me wish this was live and I could donate money online to send bears to her location in real-time.

I can only think of one time where the fish trap has worked...one of the seasons on vancouver island.  Otherwise a waste of time.

I can only think of one time where the fish trap has worked...one of the seasons on vancouver island.  Otherwise a waste of time.
I told the wife last night "The next person who catches a fish with a fish trap will be the first one..." so I guess I forgot the time it worked.  

Biko is starting to grow on us.. Lots of :lol:  moments.. If he can start catching food he could challenge Clay. 

Way behind so trying to stay out of the thread but the guy who had the tragedy with his daughter had the nicest looking shelter I think I have seen. That thing had perfect angles. Not sure how functional it was but it looked very impressive. 

Maybe the woman from a few season ago who built the sauna and had the rock lined patio was close. 

Just like her though he just quit because of the idle mind that he couldn’t control. 

Rose (kill all animals) clutching the opt-out phone as she's being circled by a griz and freak'n was dramatic. 

I've camped in grizzly country many times.  First thing I do is piss as high up the trees surrounding the perimeter of my camp as possible to form a 'cent barrier'.  Make lots of noise.  You are on alert and constantly aware.  Worst thing is being woken in the middle of the night hearing a loud limb snap by your tent and going on full-sense high alert.

Can't imagine seeing a griz who stops and then turns right at ya then begins circling.  Gawd that would be primal fear.  I've felt that fear before, you FEEL that you are prey with a predator closing in.  You don't ever want to experience that feeling.

Can't say I've ever gone hypothermic but did nearly drown in a kayak in high waves at the deepest portion of a lake over a 1,000 feet deep when my kayak got turned sideways in four foot waves and started taking on water making it harder to correct.  Thought for sure that was it.  

Teresa made a kick board not a raft and was working till the safety devise self-inflated.  Her plan of setting an I-line with two anchor points on land was brilliant.  I 'think' she got it set so we'll have to see if it worked.  She has a PHD and knows her stuff.  If you noticed she built a HUGE fire before going out in the water.  She's very smart.  

Biko deciding to build the chimney and then LITERALLY slipping on clay was serendipitous.  I mean THAT was amazing to find the one thing he needed to make an effective chimney AS he's collecting the materials to build it.  Amazing.   

Now lets see what he does with the huge openings in his roof line.  Also Clay has nothing but a tarp over his roof.  Heat escaping both of those shelters.

Teresa made a kick board not a raft and was working till the safety devise self-inflated.  Her plan of setting an I-line with two anchor points on land was brilliant.  I 'think' she got it set so we'll have to see if it worked.  She has a PHD and knows her stuff.  If you noticed she built a HUGE fire before going out in the water.  She's very smart.  

Biko deciding to build the chimney and then LITERALLY slipping on clay was serendipitous.  I mean THAT was amazing to find the one thing he needed to make an effective chimney AS he's collecting the materials to build it.  Amazing.   

Now lets see what he does with the huge openings in his roof line.  Also Clay has nothing but a tarp over his roof.  Heat escaping both of those shelters.
Was surprised that several of the shelters were still tarp roofs at this point.  I don't think it was ever mentioned but it looks like boat guy built his shelter with a side wall of boulders.  As close to Roland's from last season as someone has.

Building a fire before hand was smart, until she decided to charbroil her inner thigh.

Rose (kill all animals) clutching the opt-out phone as she's being circled by a griz and freak'n was dramatic. 

I've camped in grizzly country many times.  First thing I do is piss as high up the trees surrounding the perimeter of my camp as possible to form a 'cent barrier'.  Make lots of noise.  You are on alert and constantly aware.  Worst thing is being woken in the middle of the night hearing a loud limb snap by your tent and going on full-sense high alert.

Can't imagine seeing a griz who stops and then turns right at ya then begins circling.  Gawd that would be primal fear.  I've felt that fear before, you FEEL that you are prey with a predator closing in.  You don't ever want to experience that feeling.

Can't say I've ever gone hypothermic but did nearly drown in a kayak in high waves at the deepest portion of a lake over a 1,000 feet deep when my kayak got turned sideways in four foot waves and started taking on water making it harder to correct.  Thought for sure that was it.  

I like this take better than most in this thread.

Was surprised that several of the shelters were still tarp roofs at this point.  I don't think it was ever mentioned but it looks like boat guy built his shelter with a side wall of boulders.  As close to Roland's from last season as someone has.

Building a fire before hand was smart, until she decided to charbroil her inner thigh.
Waaaaaay up North in the Scandinavian and Russian territories they construct their homes around massive masonry fire fueled ovens that are all brick/stone and weigh around two tons. 

How We Keep Warm In Minus -40C

EDIT:  If you check out the video note the bed/mattress located directly above the fireplace.

They completely skipped over Colter building his shelter.  Compare his Boulder shelter with Rose' shelter that just looks sad.

Teresa got third degree burns.  She was self-diagnosing her hypothermia which is life threatening.  She put her thighs with the femoral artery right 'next' to the fire.  Third degree burns are 'contact' burns that typically occur if you are near a heat source.  

She intentionally put her thighs near the heat because she knew she was having trouble speaking which meant her upper airway was constricted.  It wasn't acting.  She could have been close to death and knew it and picked the biggest artery to warm her blood.  Again smart.

Last edited by a moderator:
Teresa got third degree burns.  She was self-diagnosing her hypothermia which is life threatening.  She put her thighs with the femoral artery right 'next' to the fire.  Third degree burns are 'contact' burns that typically occur if you are near a heat source.  

She intentionally put her thighs near the heat because she knew she was having trouble speaking which meant her upper airway was constricted.  It wasn't acting.  She could have been close to death and knew it and picked the biggest artery to warm her blood.  Again smart.
First-degree burns, not third-degree.  The least dangerous.  I'm actively rooting for a grizzly to take her, but you're right that she's not dumb.

On the other hand, Rose is intriguing to me.  I don't think she'll win, but she has more mental fortitude than most.  I wish she'd spent more of her time building something other than some sticks with a tarp over them for a shelter, but I like her.

Last edited by a moderator:

:goodposting:

I missed that Biko found clay (thought he was talking about slipping on mud)... and he ended up using it for his chimney? missed that too. not impressed with his craftsmanship, but he seems a decent all-arounder and his weight will be a huge advantage.

yeah- I thought theresa's raft was really smart... my understanding was that it was just to set the fishing lines out in deeper water, not an actual "raft". 

if Clay starts catching fish... game over. I thought his tarp went over an insulated roof... could be I'm just willing that to be the case.

I've mentioned Colton's Rolandesque shelter before- surprised they haven't shown much of it. standing on that raft seems like a terrible idea, but the guy lives on an island in Alaska (iirc) and seems to know a lot more than his goofy persona implies, and seems very comfortable out on the water. I guess I'm mis-remembering fishtraps actually working before...at least small ones. that one is larger enough to catch something substantial if it ever works. and he'll need more than a couple hand sized fish...but better than nothing- plus he's really good at foraging.

Rose- hfs. I guess at that point with the Grizzly circling her, pressing the button is only going to help if the bear goes away- so in a strange way no point to pressing it (to have them come rescue her corpse). she's definitely capable, but that shelter... 

I assume they all have snares set and just aren't showing them... seems no reason not to in this show.

krista4 said:
First-degree burns, not third-degree.  The least dangerous.  I'm actively rooting for a grizzly to take her, but you're right that she's not dumb.

On the other hand, Rose is intriguing to me.  I don't think she'll win, but she has more mental fortitude than most.  I wish she'd spent more of her time building something other than some sticks with a tarp over them for a shelter, but I like her.
You are right third degree.  

Grew up in the Mid West but I've lived out west in four different states, been to many of the big NPs out West, lived in a tent three summers up in AK, had some experiences with wildlife and other things but what the people on Alone are doing has my full respect.  No question.  Every single one of them.

What I look for is glimpses I can identify with.  I chuckle when Biko starts his loud singing or when he hears a griz and 'head snaps' because I know what that means, lol.  I hear the panic setting in Teresa's voice as she realizes she's in big trouble out on the water and I get it.

Its a connection of sorts, more than entertainment for me.

El Floppo said:
I missed that Biko found clay (thought he was talking about slipping on mud)... and he ended up using it for his chimney? 

yeah- I thought theresa's raft was really smart... my understanding was that it was just to set the fishing lines out in deeper water, not an actual "raft". 

... standing on that raft seems like a terrible idea... seems very comfortable out on the water. I guess ... he's really good at foraging.
Biko not only found the clay he also found a baggie to carry the clay at the same time.  

Teresa's 'raft' will act as a 'hook-set' where the line will go through.  She anchored the 'raft/platform' with a rock has two other anchor points on shore.  She'll pull the line out to the PLATFORM where it will stop to passively fish from shore far out from the shallows. 

Basically its a reaallllllllllly long fishing pole without the pole.  

Very clever.  I want to see if it works because It's 'wicked smaahrttt'.  I love it when someone comes up with a really good idea that hasn't been tried before.  I really wanna see if it works.

Colter has outriggers so his boat/kayak 'should' be stable enough to stand up in.  I think they edit for dramatic effect.  Learning a body of water is part science and part art.  Colter seems to be adept.

Supposedly he's got 30 lbs of dried shrooms which would pit him close enough to catch Clay.

Rose has a claim to fame as she found that antique bear trap.  How cool is that?  :cool:   I hope they let  her keep that.  It would look great hanging on the wall of her shop.

El Floppo said:
I assume they all have snares set and just aren't showing them... seems no reason not to in this show.
didn't someone in last week's episode catch a rabbit using a snare?

You are right third degree.  

Grew up in the Mid West but I've lived out west in four different states, been to many of the big NPs out West, lived in a tent three summers up in AK, had some experiences with wildlife and other things but what the people on Alone are doing has my full respect.  No question.  Every single one of them.

What I look for is glimpses I can identify with.  I chuckle when Biko starts his loud singing or when he hears a griz and 'head snaps' because I know what that means, lol.  I hear the panic setting in Teresa's voice as she realizes she's in big trouble out on the water and I get it.

Its a connection of sorts, more than entertainment for me.

Biko not only found the clay he also found a baggie to carry the clay at the same time.  

Teresa's 'raft' will act as a 'hook-set' where the line will go through.  She anchored the 'raft/platform' with a rock has two other anchor points on shore.  She'll pull the line out to the PLATFORM where it will stop to passively fish from shore far out from the shallows. 

Basically its a reaallllllllllly long fishing pole without the pole.  

Very clever.  I want to see if it works because It's 'wicked smaahrttt'.  I love it when someone comes up with a really good idea that hasn't been tried before.  I really wanna see if it works.

Colter has outriggers so his boat/kayak 'should' be stable enough to stand up in.  I think they edit for dramatic effect.  Learning a body of water is part science and part art.  Colter seems to be adept.

Supposedly he's got 30 lbs of dried shrooms which would pit him close enough to catch Clay.

Rose has a claim to fame as she found that antique bear trap.  How cool is that?  :cool:   I hope they let  her keep that.  It would look great hanging on the wall of her shop.
Did Theresa (AKA “Fake Accent Girl”) actually get the fishing line out there? I thought she got everything tangled up and had to abandon the idea. 

I agree that it’s a brilliant idea and I was very intrigued to see if it was going to work. 

Did Theresa (AKA “Fake Accent Girl”) actually get the fishing line out there? I thought she got everything tangled up and had to abandon the idea. 

I agree that it’s a brilliant idea and I was very intrigued to see if it was going to work. 

I didn't see her hook, but did it have a spinner?

It wasnt clear to me if she got it set or not either- I thought the same as you, that the tangling ruined her smart plan. At first i thought she had been planning on swimming out there every time...was happy to realize my mistake and her clever planning.

Users who are viewing this thread