What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Alone ( A real survival type show) (1 Viewer)

You guys are underestimating the English woman.  She's built an awesome shelter and must be foraging like a world champ.  She was small when she got there and hasn't been pulled while eating only plants.  Not easy to pull that off.  A little better luck with her fishing and she'd be the favorite IMO.  Mentally tough too.

If Clay somehow DOESNT win after bagging a deer he'll feel bad about it for a long time.  Should be his 

Yeah was wondering about that when Clay said he couldn't keep weight on.   He doesn't seem to do much in the way of foraging, and if his diet is just pure protein he's probably pretty malnourished.  Bummer if he gets forced out.
I think this is just creative editing.  I bet Clay is doing foraging just like the others and also has protein to supplement it.  Much like Roland's season, and Jordan's season, they make it look closer than it really is.

Clay has this in the bag, IMO.  Mary Poppins would have a shot if she'd gotten more protein.  I don't like her, but she's fairly talented.  

I think this is just creative editing.  I bet Clay is doing foraging just like the others and also has protein to supplement it.  Much like Roland's season, and Jordan's season, they make it look closer than it really is.

Clay has this in the bag, IMO.  Mary Poppins would have a shot if she'd gotten more protein.  I don't like her, but she's fairly talented.  

Yeah, now that I think about it he did have a stash of berries buried in the ground outside of his camp.

We have introduced our daughter to Alone this season, but to fill the time in between new episodes, we are showing her Season 3. The level of expertise. shelter building and harsh conditions these current contestants face vs what the people in S3 had, is night and day.  I mean there literally is a contestant with a tarp over a horizontal stick calling it a shelter. The one contestant is worried about being bitten by a fox, while the current contestants are worried about being a grizzly bear's lunch.

We have seen most seasons, but  I just wonder how much more harsh they can make it because where they are at now, is about as tough as it gets

We have introduced our daughter to Alone this season, but to fill the time in between new episodes, we are showing her Season 3. The level of expertise. shelter building and harsh conditions these current contestants face vs what the people in S3 had, is night and day.  I mean there literally is a contestant with a tarp over a horizontal stick calling it a shelter. The one contestant is worried about being bitten by a fox, while the current contestants are worried about being a grizzly bear's lunch.

We have seen most seasons, but  I just wonder how much more harsh they can make it because where they are at now, is about as tough as it gets
That's the problem, though.  As it becomes more harsh, it also becomes less interesting.  You can't really go exploring (except Clay, who's a little nuts), because grizzly bears.  You can't eat, because no squirrels allowed and no metal wire snares (but everyone got stainless steel snare wire to use for other stuff).    Fishing is mostly a bust, and no nets for 45 days. 

I'm not that interested in watching a show about building a shelter and then sitting in it for as long as possible.   

That's the problem, though.  As it becomes more harsh, it also becomes less interesting.  You can't really go exploring (except Clay, who's a little nuts), because grizzly bears.  You can't eat, because no squirrels allowed and no metal wire snares (but everyone got stainless steel snare wire to use for other stuff).    Fishing is mostly a bust, and no nets for 45 days. 

I'm not that interested in watching a show about building a shelter and then sitting in it for as long as possible.   
it definitely seems impossible between the restrictions on what can be hunted/caught and the scarcity of any types of birds, rodents, squirrels, etc.

it's either you eat berries and roots or you're pretty much ####ed.

i know they don't/can't show everything but it sure feels like there just isn't any food available where they're at.

It has just become a starvation game. 

Biko has built a nice shelter, but other than that, he has just lived off his fat reserves. My wife loves him, but he is just worthless as far as a contestant when compared to the achievements of past winners. Maybe he has done more and is just getting a bad edit. 

Clay deserves to win this. He at least is trying to do something with what he is given. 

I felt bad for Colter like I felt bad for Greg (season 3). 

i dunno, fake english girl expended a ton of energy on a shelter that almost killed her when she forgot to vent it properly and has eaten flowers.

other than that she hasn't done anything, either.

Colter and Clay were/are the frontrunners. 

that whole pesky failing health thing might be the only factor left to trip up Clay.

There was a promo of somebody saying they're tired of being alone.

You might have to include mental health or loneliness in that qualifier

Guy gets 70 lbs of meat.  Had so much he used thousands of calories of fatty brain to tan the hide.  

Meanwhile the others were limited to gathering wild onions.

Its a mystery, who wins this game of attrition?

No problem giving credit where credit is due but that also goes to the other two finalists because the others lasted that long without 70 lbs of meat. 

Biko had the benefit of 90 lbs of extra body fat to burn.  Salute to Teresa who lasted that long without any physical or specialized skill specific to this season.  All contestants struggle mentally but instead of leaning on body fat or bow hunting skill she used her strength which was brainpower because she had nothing else.

Of the three finalists I had to pull for Biko due to his unborn twins but Clay deserved it.  He had the skills perfect for Chilko.

Last edited by a moderator:
Random thoughts on the episode:

When Teresa saw the deer prints, my first thought was there would be no way she would be able to harvest it and bring it back to her shelter.  She was dizzy and tired from carrying an arm full of sticks.

When they did the "fade away" of Clay's shelter he still had a nice sized stack of fire wood.

Given that Biko has a bad ankle, I would have made a ladder/stairs to go up and down to shore.  When they showed him climbing back up I was expecting him to spill all the water on himself.

If you hear something outside your shelter, why not open the door with your bow in hand ready to shoot.

it definitely seems impossible between the restrictions on what can be hunted/caught and the scarcity of any types of birds, rodents, squirrels, etc.

Add those fishers to the list. Jeez they really get screwed. Let 'em hunt! Need to find a better location next time where they can actually do stuff. 

Or just let 'em hunt down each other /s

I'd love to know how much time these people actually spend hunting.  Based on the footage, they'd be better off selecting a two pound dumbbell to carry around with them.

Clay saying "90 days" told you everything you needed to know about the edit.  Dude was locked in for another 2+ weeks and more if he could keep catching food.  Strolled to the win -- miracle is that the others made it as long as they did.

You guys are underestimating the English woman.  She's built an awesome shelter and must be foraging like a world champ.  She was small when she got there and hasn't been pulled while eating only plants.  Not easy to pull that off.  A little better luck with her fishing and she'd be the favorite IMO.  Mentally tough too.

If Clay somehow DOESNT win after bagging a deer he'll feel bad about it for a long time.  Should be his 
Started at 130 and dropped to 94, and didn't quit until they pulled her out.  These people are so tough-minded it's hard to believe they're real.

Clay saying "90 days" told you everything you needed to know about the edit.  Dude was locked in for another 2+ weeks and more if he could keep catching food.  Strolled to the win -- miracle is that the others made it as long as they did.
Yea that edit where he got his picture out etc was hilarious. Like, come on. The man just caught two rabbits. 

Yea that edit where he got his picture out etc was hilarious. Like, come on. The man just caught two rabbits. 
Saw an interview with him...also caught a few grouse and 6 or 7 fish along the way. Also successfully foraged mushrooms, onions, etc. Said he had come in with 20 extra lbs that he had lost by the time he shot the deer...rationed that so was in a slow starvation the rest of the way (nothing like his competitors who caught nothing).

Saw an interview with him...also caught a few grouse and 6 or 7 fish along the way. Also successfully foraged mushrooms, onions, etc. Said he had come in with 20 extra lbs that he had lost by the time he shot the deer...rationed that so was in a slow starvation the rest of the way (nothing like his competitors who caught nothing).
Might have missed it but did bilko catch nothing?  If so,  Very poor game play on his part. 

Might have missed it but did bilko catch nothing?  If so,  Very poor game play on his part. 
Dunno. Caught a tiny little thing smaller than his hand on the show.

Saw a separate interview with just the ladies. Interesting part to me was Mary Poppins beings asked about her shelter...said, yes- it stayed pretty comfy and "warm". She seemed like she was in her jammies inside that thing- never bundled up like the rest of the guys.

I looked some yesterday on YouTube but didn’t find anything. Has anyone seen or read any interviews on Biko? I would be curious if her truly never did catch any meat besides the minnow he found on the shore. 

I hope the Alone crew in the future picks a spot that allows the contestants to use their skills. I can admire Biko for sticking it out as long as he did, but he showed very little skills and was not enjoyable to watch unless you like his singing schtick. 

For those that have grown to love Aussie Survivor, apparently they're doing an Aussie Alone, broadcast expected in 2023.
Tidbit from an article:

"Whoever lasts the longest wins. In the US series, that comes with a prize of $500,000. In the Scandinavian versions, it comes merely with bragging rights."

Related

a polar bear?!
Absolutely f'ng nutz.  No way, no how.

Lived in a tent up in Alaska for three summers, had lots of close encounters with black bears, even got knocked over by one.

Have camped many times in the back country of National parks and had close encounters with grizzlies, wasn't the scariest thing I encountered in the back country.

Hasn't scared me off.

Won't have a thing to do with polar bears.

Old college roommate had an environmental job above the Artic Circle and was assigned two bodyguards armed with shotguns just to keep him safe from polar bears.  He told me stories why they provided armed polar bear bodyguards.  They had good reasons.

Nope.  Nope, and NOPE.  

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah Juan Pablo seeing bear scat and thinking it's a good thing because he wants to hunt one? 

yeah, he's tapping early.

Karie Lee looks like she could be anywhere from 50 to 70. (also looks like she should be smoking VA Slims 120s and playing Bingo but whatever)

Benji followed by Jacques look like the early favorites to me

Just got caught up on the first episode.  Is this the first one in a while that someone didn’t go home on the first episode??

Looks like a strong cast they showed in episode one! Hunting/fishing seems strong. 

I've enjoyed all seasons, although could have done without the partner season, and this season started strong. :thumbup:

Did decide we will always watch it the day after as it only took us 50 minutes to watch the 1 hour and half episode... Way too many commercials

Also several contestants gain massive amounts of weight.  Does that mean location has limited food sources when cold weather hits?  

Users who are viewing this thread