What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***official*** Trevor Siemian latest to pilot the Jets! (1 Viewer)

Kids got ice on his veins.  Throws a nice ball.  He made some rookie mistakes, but he looks adequate as a caretaker/game manager QB.  The only really bad play I saw was the pick he threw off his heels.  Can't get away with that.

The first pick - that was bad luck.  Who throws an int to a DL on a screen?  Sometimes #### happens.

Outside of that, he just got the W against a very good, SB caliber team, on the largest regular season stage, against last year's MVP, erasing a 10 point 2nf half defecit...all in his first NFL start.  Not bad.
His release is much quicker than Brock's(Brock had this weird looping thing on the back) and he seems to be making decisions quicker as well. Brock's arm was stronger however.I'd like to see Trevor launch a couple - even if incomplete to loosen the box up.  It looks like the Broncos made a better choice. 

He's got himself a solid 10+ year career before him as one of the more reliable backups in the game.
Hats the obvious thought, but what if it's wrong? What if you are basing your assumption on draft-round only?

If you watched the Panther game in a vacuum, and knew nothing about the kid other than it being his first career game against a quality defense, what would you say?  

If Goff or Wentz had a game like that in their first career start, would you not be thrilled?

I think is latest take is Lynch takes over in October, which is very possible. If the FG was good I think suddenly 178yd/1td/2int would look worse to a whole lot of folks.
True, but let's remember that they could have won by more if not for their rookie RB fumbling in FG range and the Panthers defense making a fantastic play on Simian's first INT, again, when they were in FG range.  All things considered, playing in prime time against one of the top defenses in the league in his first NFL start, I'd say he well.  That TD throw to Anderson was nice, the way he looped the throw around the oncoming pass rusher.  The second INT was bad, but that will happen with a young QB. 

Last edited by a moderator:
If Goff or Wentz had a game like that in their first career start, would you not be thrilled?
If Wentz has a game like that, given what PHI gave up, I would not be thrilled and that's considering he has been sitting with a broken rib for the past month. If Wentz was a year into his career and had a game like that I would be even less thrilled. 

I honestly am surprised the broncos put the game in his hands as much as they did. I thought the whole reason behind ditching Sanchez was they couldn't live with the turnovers and just wanted a guy to hand off?

Hats the obvious thought, but what if it's wrong? What if you are basing your assumption on draft-round only?

If you watched the Panther game in a vacuum, and knew nothing about the kid other than it being his first career game against a quality defense, what would you say?  

I would say look at that poor man's Alex Smith. He'll make a great backup in this league.

If Wentz has a game like that, given what PHI gave up, I would not be thrilled and that's considering he has been sitting with a broken rib for the past month. If Wentz was a year into his career and had a game like that I would be even less thrilled. 

I honestly am surprised the broncos put the game in his hands as much as they did. I thought the whole reason behind ditching Sanchez was they couldn't live with the turnovers and just wanted a guy to hand off?
Really? That's surprising. I'd love to see a young QB for my team play that well in his first game against an awesome defense.

Really? That's surprising. I'd love to see a young QB for my team play that well in his first game against an awesome defense.
Also he acts like Siemian is a 2nd year player but in reality he was buried behind Osweiler.

Personally he looked really good and I think it's something to build on. The reason I am not buying anywhere except my 2QB league is that I am not sure he will keep the job regardless of how he does.

I wouldn't read into that a lot based on week 1.  Carolina's front 7 is so good, especially at getting to the QB, that the game plan was obviously for him to throw short, quick passes instead of standing back there and getting crushed by that pass rush.  I suspect we will see more deep throws once they see some soft defenses. 

TS has thrown 66% of his career interceptions on screens.

TS has also thrown 100% of his TD passes on screens.

3-0.  312 yards, 4 TD's, 0 int in his career first road start.

TS has improved every week so far - vs Car, he has a rating of 69.  Vs Indy, 79.  And the latest, 132 vs Cincy.  His interceptions have been fluky (i.e. screen passes), which makes me believe he is better than the QB rating of those first two games.  Of course, he had a couple of fluky dropped interceptions yesterday too.

I'm still not sure what to make of this kid - if he's a legit QBotF, or if he is a place-holder.  What is encouraging is how he bounces back from adversity - just look at his splits of QB rating by quarter Q1: 67.3.  Q2: 97.4.  Q3: 60.3.  Q4: 146.9.  To me, it appears he has some early game jitters, and works though them.  At halftime, defenses adjust, but by Q4 he's got it all figured out. 

It's also worth noting that Siemian leads the league in 4th quarter comebacks and game winning drives (shared with Flacco).  Brought the team back from a 10 point deficit vs Carolina, and a one point 4th quarter deficit vs Cincy to win by 12.

Cecil about to get it from Mark Schlereth on KKFN in a minute - Cecil has been pooping on Siemian so far this year. Should be fun to listen to.

Cecil about to get it from Mark Schlereth on KKFN in a minute - Cecil has been pooping on Siemian so far this year. Should be fun to listen to.
last night:

Cecil Lammey ‏@CecilLammey  18h18 hours ago
He played well. Did what was needed vs Cover 2 concepts. Good game from Trevor Siemian #Broncoshttps://twitter.com/hashtag/Broncos?src=hash https://twitter.com/iro0585/status/780140908712898560 

His QBR of 87.2 was 4th highest in the NFL.
Yea - bet that was tough to write - a bit of a back hand compliment "Did what was needed vs Cover 2 concepts" after he spent the previous week saying that Lynch should be the starter.

Cecil still butt hurt about saying the kid had a 5% chance of starting?  He seems very bitter when he's wrong on his guesses.  Too bad,. Everybody gets guesses wrong, just admit it and move on.  

In two qb leagues with Rodgers on bye next week (Wentz too), starting Siemian vs TB has gotta be a real option for some of us. Not as completely terrified by this as I thought I'd be... 

So, is Siemian suddenly going to hold this job all year?  It's kind of crazy because he looks so average and doing nothing but the broncs are 3-0 so what you gonna change?

can this team ride this formula back to a deep playoff run?  Is it somehow better than ultimately trying to get back with a rookie?  Very interesting situation to follow.  

So, is Siemian suddenly going to hold this job all year?  It's kind of crazy because he looks so average and doing nothing but the broncs are 3-0 so what you gonna change?

can this team ride this formula back to a deep playoff run?  Is it somehow better than ultimately trying to get back with a rookie?  Very interesting situation to follow.  
He didn't look average throwing those 4 tds

Something about this kid I like. The lack of zip on his passes is concerning, but he's got moxie. And a great team around him.

Shutout said:

he looks average, but if you grade on a curve (i.e. 3 career starts and someone who hasn't taken a majority of first string snaps until late in the pre-season), he's doing just fine.  All of the mistakes he has made are correctable.  He isn't throwing into coverage, he isn't forcing bad throws (ok, maybe a couple vs Cincy).  He is going through progressions and when he sees something isn't there, he tucks and runs.

it felt like he had some accuracy issues early in Cincy, especially when he was on the move (which was often as the Broncos had some protection issues with Stephenson being out and then Okung going out for a spell).  However, once he got settled in, he played great.  It should also be noted - part of the success vs Cincy was the Bengals selling out to stop the run - Broncos saw lots of 8 man fronts and had a hard time running.  Of course, that meant 1 on 1 coverage with Demaryius Thomas and Emmanuel Sanders which the Broncos will take all day.

I'm not completely sold on his play-making ability so far.  It's hard to tell how much he is being protected by play-calling and eased in - i.e. being asked to make simple, 1/2 field reads.  AFAIK, that's the basis of the Kubiak offense so that might be all he is asked to do.  That being said, there is absolutely no reason to be thinking about pulling the plug on the kid.  I'm not hearing any grumblings for Lynch in local media or the fan base.  I mean, there are one or two here and there, but it's really rare for Bronco fans to be united in support for a QB...really rare.  Even Peyton Manning, as great as he was, only had about one complete season where idiots weren't clammoring for Tebow or Osweiler.

This is absolutely a formula that the Broncos can go deep into the playoffs with.  Stout D + strong running game bolstered by stud WR's can absolutely win a superbowl.

His next three games will really boost his stats.  As long as he doesn't implode he's not giving this job up this year.  

moleculo said:
he looks average, but if you grade on a curve (i.e. 3 career starts and someone who hasn't taken a majority of first string snaps until late in the pre-season), he's doing just fine.  All of the mistakes he has made are correctable.  He isn't throwing into coverage, he isn't forcing bad throws (ok, maybe a couple vs Cincy).  He is going through progressions and when he sees something isn't there, he tucks and runs.

it felt like he had some accuracy issues early in Cincy, especially when he was on the move (which was often as the Broncos had some protection issues with Stephenson being out and then Okung going out for a spell).  However, once he got settled in, he played great.  It should also be noted - part of the success vs Cincy was the Bengals selling out to stop the run - Broncos saw lots of 8 man fronts and had a hard time running.  Of course, that meant 1 on 1 coverage with Demaryius Thomas and Emmanuel Sanders which the Broncos will take all day.

I'm not completely sold on his play-making ability so far.  It's hard to tell how much he is being protected by play-calling and eased in - i.e. being asked to make simple, 1/2 field reads.  AFAIK, that's the basis of the Kubiak offense so that might be all he is asked to do.  That being said, there is absolutely no reason to be thinking about pulling the plug on the kid.  I'm not hearing any grumblings for Lynch in local media or the fan base.  I mean, there are one or two here and there, but it's really rare for Bronco fans to be united in support for a QB...really rare.  Even Peyton Manning, as great as he was, only had about one complete season where idiots weren't clammoring for Tebow or Osweiler.

This is absolutely a formula that the Broncos can go deep into the playoffs with.  Stout D + strong running game bolstered by stud WR's can absolutely win a superbowl.
So he's riding the Tebow formula?  

If the scenario is Denver stumbles early in a game and is down by 14-17, can this guy win a game versus manage it ?

need2know said:
He didn't look average throwing those 4 tds
James Stewart once ran for 5 TDs in a game.  It's not the situational stats I am looking at, it's the ability or lack there of to be able to do all the things.  To me he is managing instead of being on the leading edge and winning.  That's not a bad thing. That's better than a lot of other guys we see in the league but the question is really long term and what really counts.  Can he beat the steelers and pats and Seahawks and Vikings and the sort because at the end of the day a 11-5 record against average teams doesn't get it done in Denver. 

Its like asking king is he Alex Smith good because if he is that's fine if you always want an above average yet 2nd class team for several ears but ultimately you want a guy that carries his team. 

If the scenario is Denver stumbles early in a game and is down by 14-17, can this guy win a game versus manage it ?
Um, he was down early at Cinci 7 - 0.  Then he was down 14-10 in the 2nd (your exact scenario), and down for a third time in the 2nd half.  Not too bad on the road.  

I'd say that's "winning versus managing".

Um, he was down early at Cinci 7 - 0.  Then he was down 14-10 in the 2nd (your exact scenario), and down for a third time in the 2nd half.  Not too bad on the road.  

I'd say that's "winning versus managing".
Down by 7 and 4 while in the flow of the game is not what I asked.  I said down by 14 and more importantly I am referring to the scenario where a game starts off funny and quickly he is down by 14 or in the 4th he is down by 14.  I'm talking about real football scenarios and if he has what it takes to be the man.  I don't think he does. I'm not trashing him but I think he is more Alex smith than the next big discovery.  I think it's fools gold and false hope to think he is very good.  He has done nothing that I can't say I saw Kirk cousins or mark Sanchez do for 2-3 games at a time. 

The thing is, on this team, the qb has to be the man. THE man. He has to be able to carry a team.  This guy cant

Oh I thought you meant by a score of 14-17, ha!  I see you meant points.  I agree it will be interesting to see how he handles it and yes it's still very early.

Down by 7 and 4 while in the flow of the game is not what I asked.  I said down by 14 and more importantly I am referring to the scenario where a game starts off funny and quickly he is down by 14 or in the 4th he is down by 14.  I'm talking about real football scenarios and if he has what it takes to be the man.  I don't think he does. I'm not trashing him but I think he is more Alex smith than the next big discovery.  I think it's fools gold and false hope to think he is very good.  He has done nothing that I can't say I saw Kirk cousins or mark Sanchez do for 2-3 games at a time. 

The thing is, on this team, the qb has to be the man. THE man. He has to be able to carry a team.  This guy cant
I know it's not quite the same as coming back from 14 in the 4th, but Siemians very first career start (a mere 3 weeks ago - I'm sure you watched), he brougth his team back from down by 10 entering the 4th quarter to win by one.  In 3 career games, he has 2 4QC and 2 GWD...against the defending NFC champs.

I think it's a bit pre-mature to talk about what he can't do.

ETA: on this team, the QB doesn't have to be THE man.  This is a well coached team with a stout defense, an improved running game, and a pair of excellent receivers.  This is a team built to carry the QB, not vice versa.  Remember - they won the superbowl last year with an offense that led the league in interceptions and was near the bottom of the league in nearly every offensive category.

Go back and watch the TD pass to Demaryius and you have to like what you see there.  He dropped back, immediately sensed a bit of pressure, did a quick, subtle little side step to his left, and then launched it down field.  That awareness to sense and avoid even a slight bit of pressure is a good sign. 

Users who are viewing this thread