What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Keith Marshall - RB - Washington (via Georgia) (1 Viewer)

Took him round 3 of my rookie/FA draft and happy he fell to me.  I like his opportunity for sure and think his talent is better than where he was drafted. He just hasn't looked comfortable since coming back from injury and Schottenheimer did an awful job with UGA's offense last year.  Marshall has talent though, he and Gurley were 1a and 1b (the Gurshall nickname was so stupid) until Marshall tore his knee up. 

Bottome line: I'm bullish on his future.  There are worse lottery tickets to own than Marshall and Matt Jones does little to nothing for me. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Took him round 3 of my rookie/FA draft and happy he fell to me.  I like his opportunity for sure and think his talent is better than where he was drafted. He just hasn't looked comfortable since coming back from injury and Schottenheimer did an awful job with UGA's offense last year.  Marshall has talent though, he and Gurley were 1a and 1b (the Gurshall nickname was so stupid) until Marshall tore his knee up. 

Bottome line: I'm bullish on his future.  There are worse lottery tickets to own than Marshall and Matt Jones does little to nothing for me. 
I have nothing to add. Feel the exact same (minus me not being able to get him yet). 

He has real speed, true breakaway speed.  His highlights are fun to watch, really.  He is very smooth.  When a lot of backs are at full speed, running away from people, they are working it, running hard, pumping their arms, etc.  This kid looks like running fast is the most natural thing in the world to him.  

Making quick cuts, however, not so much.   Check this highlight tape:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEDaTV4p28o

On all his long runs, I love how when he is at top speed, he barely pumps his arms.  But in the early runs on this video, his cuts are kind of comical, he runs high, so he needs to windmill his off-ball arm to make the cut.  And we aren't talking about real deep cuts here.  Later on, he makes some real nice short choppy cuts without doing that, so maybe it was an isolated incident or two.  

7th round pick, that's not good, tho.  Not at all.  Every team in the NFL deemed him essentially undraftable.  With those physical skills.  

This is when some unoriginal bonehead brings up Arian Foster.

I made a bullish overpay play on KM during our draft. Traded Marvin Jones for the right to draft Marshall.

He has incredible speed and [enzo]YOU CAN'T TEACH THAT[/enzo]. I also echo the sentiments about Matt Jones being just a guy.

Man, I could've sworn there was a thread on this guy a few months ago, but the search function is so crappy I can't find it. Maybe it was a figment of my imagination.

Marshall is a great end of the draft flyer based purely on Matt Jones being not very good and no other competition really existing. I don't think Washington views Thompson as anything more than a role player.

massraider said:
He has real speed, true breakaway speed.  His highlights are fun to watch, really.  He is very smooth.  When a lot of backs are at full speed, running away from people, they are working it, running hard, pumping their arms, etc.  This kid looks like running fast is the most natural thing in the world to him.  

Making quick cuts, however, not so much.   Check this highlight tape:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEDaTV4p28o

On all his long runs, I love how when he is at top speed, he barely pumps his arms.  But in the early runs on this video, his cuts are kind of comical, he runs high, so he needs to windmill his off-ball arm to make the cut.  And we aren't talking about real deep cuts here.  Later on, he makes some real nice short choppy cuts without doing that, so maybe it was an isolated incident or two.  

7th round pick, that's not good, tho.  Not at all.  Every team in the NFL deemed him essentially undraftable.  With those physical skills.  

This is when some unoriginal bonehead brings up Arian Foster.
True but that risk also helps us buy him for cheaper. :D

FF Ninja said:
Man, I could've sworn there was a thread on this guy a few months ago, but the search function is so crappy I can't find it. Maybe it was a figment of my imagination.

Marshall is a great end of the draft flyer based purely on Matt Jones being not very good and no other competition really existing. I don't think Washington views Thompson as anything more than a role player.
I thought so too. I did a search and checked the player index and didn't find anything. Maybe we are both just getting old.

Borden said:
I won't be able to listen to this with sound until later tonight. Quick, two sentence recap?
Size/Speed/Strength freak.

His track and field running style doesn't help his football balance.

Concerns that he wasn't looking for daylight but looking for tacklers after the injury.

Taken him in the 4th round of both my rookie drafts so far, probably my favorite RB lotto ticket in this class. Not a Jones guy at all.

Size/Speed/Strength freak.

His track and field running style doesn't help his football balance.

Concerns that he wasn't looking for daylight but looking for tacklers after the injury.
Thanks I posted then mowed the yard before getting ready for work.

Sounds like a decent flier to me.

Marshall goes down too easily and isn't very agile. I don't see him getting past a cop role. He is very fast, so he'll probably get 5-7 carries to see if he can pop one.  I too think Jones is ordinary, but I don't consider Marshall a major threat.

CBS Sports draft analyst Dane Brugler noted that Georgia RB Keith Marshall "has better plant-and-go burst than most backs."

Brugler wrote that Marshall "hits the accelerator [with] ease." The 5-foot-11, 219-pounder was one of the true standouts at the NFL Scouting Combine last week, wowing evaluators with a sizzling 4.31-second time in the 40-yard dash. A torn ACL in 2013 sidelined the former five-star recruit, and it didn't help that he had to jostle with Todd Gurley and Nick Chubb for carries after he recovered. As a result of his lack of exposure, he's something of a draft mystery man. An NFL evaluator recently compared him to Dolphins RB Lamar Miller in that aspect. After his warp-speed 40-yard sprint, CBS Sports' Rob Rang wrote that he "stole the spotlight" from the rest of the backs on hand. 
Mar 4 - 9:14 PM

Source: Dane Brugler on Twitter

In a conversation with Yahoo Sports, an NFL evaluator compared Georgia RB Keith Marshall to Lamar Miller "in terms of pedigree, measurables, speed and limited college opportunities."
The evaluator went on to say that Marshall could have a similar profile to Miller in the NFL. Marshall, who your boys at Rotoworld have been pulling for hard during the process, ran the fastest 40-yard dash (4.31 seconds) of any offensive player at the NFL Combine this year. He did so at a manly 5-foot-11, 219 pounds. Oh, and he's also a former five-star recruit who shared carries with Todd Gurley for one season. So why are some readers out there hazy about who he is? Because Marshall's body betrays him at every turn, specially his knees and ankles, obviously ominous for a runner. Most famously, Marshall tore his ACL in 2013.

Source: Yahoo Sports
Mar 4 - 6:21 PM

CBS Sports draft analyst Rob Rang wrote that "by wowing scouts with his blazing speed and power, [Georgia RB Keith] Marshall stole the spotlight from the higher-rated backs of the 2016 draft."
Marshall not only blazed his way to a 4.31 time in the 40-yard dash, he also turned in 25 repetitions of 225 pounds in the bench press. If you haven't heard much about him, don't feel too badly. The 5-foot-11, 219-pounder not only had to fend with Todd Gurley and Nick Chubb for carries, he also tore his ACL in 2013 (it's a law that if you play running back at Georgia, you will suffer a significant knee injury). Marshall received 68 carries last season and turned them into 350 yards and three scores. Without much statistical production on his ledger, the nice combine numbers are all the more important as he looks to squeak into the tail-end of the draft as a possible Day 3 selection.

Source: CBS Sports
Feb 26 - 10:51 PM

TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline calls Georgia RB Keith Marshall a sleeper who is going to run an eye-opening forty.
"One of the sleepers at the running back position is Georgia junior Keith Marshall," he wrote. "Early in his career, he struggled with injury, then fell out of favor with the coaching staff. I'm told to expect times in the 4.4s from Marshall on Friday." Once upon a time, Marshall actually carried the (mythical) "fastest running back in college football" title. Due to numerous ankle and knee injuries over the years, Marshall was held to 1,379 yards over his career (759 yards and eight touchdowns as a freshman). Todd Gurley used to lose carries to this kid. If his body isn't broken, it may still possess some of that special talent.

Source: Walter Football
Feb 26 - 1:44 PM

Redskins seventh-round pick Keith Marshall played behind Mack Brown at rookie minicamp this weekend.

Brown was on the Redskins' practice squad last year. Marshall was favoring his leg a bit after tweaking his hamstring on Friday. That might explain his relatively light workload. Marshall said his knee is completely healthy after battling injuries for much of his time at the University of Georgia. The Redskins are hoping Matt Jones becomes their every-down back for 2016. Marshall is fighting Brown and Chris Thompson for backup duties. 

May. 15 - 9:25 am et Source: Washington Post

I, for one, am not concerned about his draft position. You could ask for no better situation then what Marshall is in, outside of maybe Zeke Elliot. He has athleticism and pedigree. His injury must have overwhelmingly concerned teams because you don't see players like him fall that far without major character or injury concerns. Fortunately and unfortunately for us as fantasy players injuries should be low on the totum poll for players on our teams because they are going to happen and happen to the best of fantasy players.

If Le'veon Bell played 10-15 years ago he wouldn't go nearly as high as he does. I remember when people wanted to bash on "fragile" Fred Taylor before he had his peak season. I remember him going in the 3rd/4th. I think it's important to build your team, especially dynasty, on talent above all else. You can't ask for a better or more protypical athlete for RB then this kid. People are sleeping on him in rookie drafts because of his actual draft position, that could prove to be a major mistake is Matt Jones falters this year.

I made a bullish overpay play on KM during our draft. Traded Marvin Jones for the right to draft Marshall.
The overpay...I picked Marshall with the floowing still on the board (non-PPR)

kenyan Drake, Goff, Wentz, Lynch, DeAndre Washington, Alex Collins, Wendall Smallwood.

"There's no substitute for speed and he's fast," head coach Jay Gruden said. "We're excited about that. We're going to take a good long look at him. It's an element in the backfield that we don't have is that 4.28 40 or 4.31 or whatever it is. Very explosive. Unfortunately has had some injuries in his career, but still, he overcame the injury and ran a very fast time at the combine. [Running Backs Coach] Randy Jordan knows him extremely well and we decided to take a shot at him and I think it's going to be a great pick."

"[He was] highly, highly recruited coming out," general manager Scot McCloughan said of Marshall. "He fell behind [Todd] Gurley and [Nick] Chubb at Georgia, two really good football players. But he can run like the wind and he has got size. He has pretty good ball skills and had some success early in his career there before the other two took over, but it's not like it was a shot in the dark because of the height/weight/speed. He has some tape, and the thing about it is I think he has a chance to be a pretty good special teams player."

It feels like the GM is saying, "Meh. He's fast and cheap. We will see what happens."

The GM is saying, "He's an athletic guy that we could start on special teams."

I might have to temper my expectations. The Marshall is a 7th round pick with an injury history and played as a back up in college. If Marshall doesn't shine right away he might be on the roster bubble. With any luck he can "make the team" as a ST player. However, it does seem like his injury history really concerned teams. So, if he continues with hamstrings and other issues he might be getting cut. 

This all seems disheartening for me. 

A lot of Al Davises in this thread.
SPEEEEED!

At least Marshall was the 7th round, not 7th overall?  Although, Hayward-Bey is still in the league, which isn't the case for a third of the top 12 draftees in 2009, so maybe Al knew something?

LawFitz said:
A lot of Al Davises in this thread.
This is fantasy, not real life. I appreciate football players like Alfred Morris too but maximizing the high ceiling guys on your roster is also important and gives you an advantage in trading as well. People will always value guys that have high ceilings greater than those who grind. It's a delicate balance but it's smart to have both and know when to trade both (i.e. the aforementioned Morris and Christine Michael being the spectrum).

steelers1080 said:
SPEEEEED!

At least Marshall was the 7th round, not 7th overall?  Although, Hayward-Bey is still in the league, which isn't the case for a third of the top 12 draftees in 2009, so maybe Al knew something?
While I certainly wouldn't say he was a better player, Heyward-Bey outlasted both Hakeem Nicks and Percy Harvin.

I think Marshall is a very worthwhile flier, at one time he was considered better than Todd Gurley by Georgia's coaching staff. A lot has happened since then, but Marshall is still very interesting. In a 12-team rookie draft, I'd be looking at him as a mid/late 2nd rounder. Probably a 12th rounder in a startup. 

Great potential thought. He has some talent (even if he isn't the same player since the knee injury), is on what looks to be a high powered offense and the only RB in front of his is  basically a "#### it" player and a fumbler. 

Draft position doesn't mean much for running backs. If they can play, they will get touches. He doesn't have a lot in front of him. Could start out as rb 3, maybe even rb 2 on Redskins.

He has incredible speed and [enzo]YOU CAN'T TEACH THAT[/enzo]. I also echo the sentiments about Matt Jones being just a guy.
I like this approach when you believe in a player...  Too often, people manage their players with their grand-mother's purse strings and screw around with weak offers "hoping" they'll be accepted.

Thanks for pointing that out.  I noticed he only does it with his right arm, when the ball is in his left.  He makes the same kind of cuts no matter which arm the ball is in.  Maybe it's a nervous habit?  It's weird.

I have seen something even more comical. I am in a draft right now and he was selected in the 10th round. I think this year is a perfect storm for Marshall: the complete over-emphasis of zero-RB strategy this year so people are desperate to look smart as they sift through the dregs, experts droning on for the last six months about how bad Jones is, the typical summer feel good rookie stories. What I wouldn't give for a run of 80+ yards vs 4th stringers in the preseason. Jones is already undervalued in FF and that would push him down even more.

When was that, exactly?
He was a higher recruit, and was ahead of him in 2012 before getting injured. I'm not saying he's a better prospect than Gurley, merely that he was briefly ahead of Gurley at Georgia. That might mean nothing, Brian Griese was ahead of Tom Brady once upon a time, but it could mean something. A lot can happen in 4 years, and Marshall was injured a lot, and may not be the same caliber athlete, but my point was that he was coming from a place of very high talent, or at least potential talent. 

The Washington Post's Mike Jones left seventh-round RB Keith Marshall off his 53-man roster projection.
Jones has Matt Jones, Chris Thompson, and Mack Brown making the final roster, but he acknowledged it is possible the Redskins keep four running backs. A 219-pound back with 4.31 wheels, Marshall's college career was sidetracked by an ACL injury as a sophomore, and he dealt with hamstring issues during the offseason program. Marshall has a ton of athletic upside, but he needs to stay healthy through training camp.

Source: Washington Post 
Jun 27 - 12:02 PM

Who is this Mack Brown cat? 

He was waived by Houston and it sounds like he was mostly a ST player. 

This seems odd to me that they would only keep 3 backs on the roster. It has to be one of the highest risk for injury positions and it would leave them with a workhorse, a COP and ST. Just seems a little risky. 

Just some "journalist" projecting the roster. But lets me mindful that marshall was a very late pick and his roster spot is far from guaranteed even if you burned a 2nd round dyno pick on him.

Who is this Mack Brown cat? 

He was waived by Houston and it sounds like he was mostly a ST player. 

This seems odd to me that they would only keep 3 backs on the roster. It has to be one of the highest risk for injury positions and it would leave them with a workhorse, a COP and ST. Just seems a little risky. 
They could put a RB on the practice squad and activate him if there's an injury - but agree that generally teams will keep at least four.

They could put a RB on the practice squad and activate him if there's an injury - but agree that generally teams will keep at least four.
True but it then they have to clear waivers?

You'd think that Marshall could contribute on ST. With 4.31 speed kick offs and punt cover for sure. Watched a bit of that Robert Kelley kid and he seems alright too. I would think that Marshall or Kelley might get scooped by a team if they have to clear waivers. But RBs a dime a dozen right now anyways so, maybe they aren't worried about it. 

I like Mike Jones and all, but John Kiem is the one to listen to closely when it comes to Redskins news. I find it hard to believe the Skins would only keep 3 RBs when none of them are proven. Jones is going into his 2nd year and had health/fumbling issues last year, Thompson has yet to play a full season, and Brown is a huge unknown. No chance those are the 3 guys they go into the season. Think Marshall stays and if not, they'll bring in a vet like Foster or maybe bring back Pierre Thomas.

I like Mike Jones and all, but John Kiem is the one to listen to closely when it comes to Redskins news. I find it hard to believe the Skins would only keep 3 RBs when none of them are proven. Jones is going into his 2nd year and had health/fumbling issues last year, Thompson has yet to play a full season, and Brown is a huge unknown. No chance those are the 3 guys they go into the season. Think Marshall stays and if not, they'll bring in a vet like Foster or maybe bring back Pierre Thomas.
I'm starting to think that they are just going to pass. Like 80-20 pass to run. 

Users who are viewing this thread