What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR JuJu Smith-Schuster, NE (2 Viewers)

JuJu is not a #1. Never has been. Never will be. Diontae will help JuJu once it gets to the point where teams start moving coverage over to him and away from JuJu. 
In fairness, it's Juju's third year in the league, with his first two years playing with Antonio Brown.

I don't think the issue right now is a question of coverage, or Juju's ability to shake coverage.  In fairness, I did not watch last night's game, but from what I've read, his volume was a product of game script.  I'm open to anyone's analysis of his route running, though.

Easily cuttable in redraft. He might have a good game now and then against a weak opponent, but on a week-to-week basis there are gonna be a half dozen guys on the waiver wire who are far better options.

I'm sure it's possible he improves, but what do I know. I think the playcalling shows his coaches aren't sure about him, though. They had a big lead and could have gotten him some looks in the 4th quarter to get some more challenging throws on tape, and instead they stayed conservative and chose to pretty much just get him out of that game as quickly as possible. 
I've never seen or heard of an NFL coach taking this approach when trying to salt away a win.

Last night was not promising.  Maybe against teams that have a stouter front we'll see more passing downfield.  I don't think the Steelers can dink and dunk all season.....I guess they can try, but it will not be sustainable.

Easily cuttable in redraft. He might have a good game now and then against a weak opponent, but on a week-to-week basis there are gonna be a half dozen guys on the waiver wire who are far better options.
I partly agree with this... depends on your league obviously, but he could have some trade value yet. So I would say "easily" tradeable. Flat out cutting him would be a harder decision, but he is not startable for the most part at this moment.

This offense is a work in progress, so maybe they gel 2nd half of the season? Got rid of their two best skill players and now operating with a back-up QB... plenty of speed bumps ahead.

Cutting Juju in redraft? although I can understand where the thought is coming from, you guys are overreacting a bit. This is week 4....only second week with new QB.....
It's weird, but Juju kind of feels like the "reverse Alvin Harper" effect where an over-performing WR2 cashes out and flames out as a WR1 on another team. Here you've got the WR1 exiting and WR2 stepping into that role.

The argument can certainly be made that this will not get better. It was a questionable situation with Big Ben, and now with a back-up... move him if you can. This is not a 30+ pt/gm offense anymore... feels more like 20+ run heavy.

It's weird, but Juju kind of feels like the "reverse Alvin Harper" effect where an over-performing WR2 cashes out and flames out as a WR1 on another team. Here you've got the WR1 exiting and WR2 stepping into that role.

The argument can certainly be made that this will not get better. It was a questionable situation with Big Ben, and now with a back-up... move him if you can. This is not a 30+ pt/gm offense anymore... feels more like 20+ run heavy.
Definitely not pass heavy with the abilities of Big Ben to put points on the board. I agree

Last edited by a moderator:
He was likely drafted too high in redrafts to drop or sell low. You're going to have to ride this out and hope that things improve.

He's not cuttable. Hell Yahoo won't even let you cut him (for leagues with that turned on) but he is going to the bench.

Mason Rudolph on JuJu: He has been an unbelievable leader for us. Even on moments where he doesn’t score, he is positive as ever encouraging the teammates and he’s a competitor. I have to start getting him more touches.

Think there is some over-reacting going on in here IMO. Obvious cut? Ya no. Unless you play in a 3 team league with short benches. 

Expectations for him need to be lowered considerably from where he was drafted. But also keep in mind, they played the Bengals last night. Not to many games on their schedule where you can say the Steelers will be playing with a comfortable lead all night.

Watching that game last night conjured up nightmares of Tim Tebow "managing" games.  Adding into the equation that they played the Bengals, whose level of sucktitude can not be overstated, I would be extremely concerned with JuJu going forward. 

Even if we assume there will be some growing and improving going forward, by the time they get into a flow, the weather will be bad (promoting more running which they certainly will be comfortable doing), their season will be over and, more importantly, ff owners who kept trotting him out there's seasons will be over.  I'm afraid this one is just a bad beat as was stated above.

JuJu Smith-Schuster (toe) missed practice Wednesday.

As did James Conner (ankle) and Vance McDonald (shoulder). JuJu didn't appear nicked up in Monday's victory, so there's an outside chance this is merely mid-week rest. There's no reason to overreact just yet. He'll be a WR2 against the Ravens if he suits up.

SOURCE: Brooke Pryor on Twitter

Oct 2, 2019, 3:42 PM ET

I'm hoping that defensive coordinators will adjust based on Monday's game and plan to stop the short dump passes and key on the RBs in order to push Rudolph to throw. Hopefully as the defenses adapt to the type of play Pitt's offense uses, more passes will have to be thrown to Juju......and yes...it is wishful thinking.

Mason Rudolph wants to get JuJu Smith-Schuster more involved after only looking to him four times in Monday night's win over Cincinnati.

Smith-Schuster drew fewer targets than teammates James Conner, Diontae Johnson and Jaylen Samuels while playing through a nagging toe injury in Week 4. While the Steelers didn't need JuJu to beat the lowly Bengals, that won't be the case against stronger competition. "Got to get the ball to your best players and that’s something you look forward to every week in the gameplan, so it’s just an emphasis on my end," remarked Rudolph, who praised Johnson and others for stepping up with JuJu hurting in Week 4. Despite not practicing yet this week, Smith-Schuster is fully expected to suit up Sunday against Baltimore.

SOURCE: Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Oct 4, 2019, 8:45 AM ET

He was likely drafted too high in redrafts to drop or sell low. You're going to have to ride this out and hope that things improve.
Traded him for Wentz and Dissly in a 20 team dynasty which favors QBs (6 point all TD, Non PPR) Trubisky and Cam killed me.

Without Big Ben he just isn't the same WR. Without Big Ben AND AB he just isn't the same WR. Yes, he is going to eat targets being the #1 in PIT, but will we see 1400 - 10+ TD numbers with Mason Rudolph consistently? I'm moving my shares.

Going against a juggernaut this week and think I’m benching him for MVS. I can’t afford another 1.5 plus the toe issue doesn’t help.

I liked Juju's prospects a LOT better when he had (arguably) the best WR in the NFL on the opposite side and a HOF QB throwing him the ball.

hispeedthinmint said:
What's his value in dynasty PPR now? I am looking to cash out. I was offered David Johnson straight up, but this is a league that heavily favors WRs (Start 3 WR, 2 RB, 1 TE + 2 flex) I also have a hole @ TE, but aside from kelce, I can't see a TE I'd move him straight up for.

DJ has what, 2 years left of any good FF production? Not sure I should do it.
I wouldn't do that. I'm honestly not sure I'd sell JuJu at all right now, but the gap in age and WR value in your system makes this particular move an easy pass imo.

assuming Otis was doing some wheeling and dealing and fleeced someone in a trade.  And now of course he's bragging about it.
Didn't fleece someone necessarily.  At the time everyone had them at basically even value.  But I was WR heavy and RB light and, like others above here, I never really viewed JuJu as a WR1.  And with Big Ben at the tail end of his career and this being a long time dynasty league, just seemed like the right time to move on.  Worked out well.

Didn't fleece someone necessarily.  At the time everyone had them at basically even value.  But I was WR heavy and RB light and, like others above here, I never really viewed JuJu as a WR1.  And with Big Ben at the tail end of his career and this being a long time dynasty league, just seemed like the right time to move on.  Worked out well.
This was a great move for the first half. Chubb will help your team get to the playoffs>>>JJSS. 

Will be interesting to see how much Chubbs role is reduced while JJSS should be gaining momentum. Come playoff time the coin may flip.

i have no horse in this race personally.  JJ makes an interesting buy LOW stash if you have room. 

I am buying all day in dynasty.  It seems like a sell window may be opening - maybe for the rest of the season. 

What a lucky year, buy windows on Saquon and Juju who are proven NFL studs, but the age of rookies. 

So, he is active today. I’m still too nervous to get him into my lineup. Starting Chark and Hollywood over him. I’ll probably regret it, but I can’t risk an early re-aggravation of the injury and a zero from him today.

Every major fantasy service has him ranked in the top-20 this week. Seems like they're basing those rankings on reputation, not reality.

Just feel like he’s a sit this week. My other options aren’t even great and I still want to sit him. Even if he does well, it’ll be on my bench and maybe then I can trade him away

JuJu Smith-Schuster caught all seven of his targets for 75 yards and one score in Pittsburgh's Week 5 overtime loss to the Ravens.

JuJu's bounce-back performance (as a game-time call, nonetheless) will be overshadowed by his fumble inside the 40 in overtime that allowed Justin Tucker to kick the game-winning field goal from 46-yards out. It was still a tremendous day outside of that blunder as Pittsburgh broke the levy and marched down the field with completions of 21 and 35 yards — the latter being Smith-Schuster's lone touchdown — on their third possession after opening the game with a three-and-out and ensuing turnover via Jaylen Samuels' poor decision making. This performance would normally lend confidence to those who roster Smith-Schuster, but Devlin Hodges' pending involvement in place of Mason Rudolph (concussion) leaves a lot to be desired from this offense as a whole. JuJu will be a low-end WR2 assuming the undrafted rookie gets the nod under center in Week 6.

Oct 6, 2019, 7:25 PM ET

I think the window to deal JuJu for anywhere near fair market value just closed shut...

He got some points today which was good but he was my fourth best wr today also. So I'm glad I sat him. 

I sat him for Sutton.....got about the same so no loss there but unfortunately, I faced a guy with Watson and Fuller....WTF!!!! Can't catch a break. 

Users who are viewing this thread