Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Dynasty & Redraft: WR JuJu Smith-Schuster, Steelers

5 hours ago, Stinkin Ref said:

he's starting to feel like one of those guys that in some ways ends up costing you a season......no matter how good you work the WW/trade/etc.....the fact is that for where he was drafted in most 12 team leagues.....the expectation was he was a set it and forget it WR2 for your team....now you have a healthy high pick pretty much riding your bench....it hurts when you get this type of production because it is hard to bench him for awhile and in the meantime he is costing you wins....you want to keep "riding it out" and keep plugging him in your lineup each week...hoping it turns around that week......granted I didn't study the PIT WR group maybe the way I should have but it seemed like JuJu was supposed to be the Batman this year and the other guys were the complimentary pieces....it didn't feel like Johnson/Claypool/Washington were that much of a threat to his production.....props to any of you that saw it that way, but ADP heading into the season did not reflect that sentiment...JuJu now becomes a bench player who you won't play until the week after he has a big game (which he will at some point)....and you will chase those points cause you think it has turned around.....only to probably be disappointed that week.....for me.....he has moved into bye week  flex filler in an emergency territory......you aren't going to get anything for him in a trade that probably helps your starting lineup....(maybe a TE/PK/DST)....maybe....so he just sits there haunting you on your bench....

Spot on.  He is the next in line on my team to be dropped.  If I would have won the bid for Jackson last night JuJu would be off my team.  It does feel good to be mentally done with him.  

• Replies 956
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cutting Juju in redraft? although I can understand where the thought is coming from, you guys are overreacting a bit. This is week 4....only second week with new QB.....

Martavis questionable for tomorrow. AB in Jalen jail. JuJu time?

We have only a small sample size for this year but here are Ben's attempts per game this year and in JuJu's two good years

2017: 37.4

2018: 42.18 (Career High for Ben by a lot)

2020: 33

Ben's yards per game are also down. They just aren't throwing the ball as much as peak JuJu years and he's the one suffering. He still leads the team in targets but that is largely due to Johnson missing time. I think the biggest glaring number is his yards/reception.

2017: 15.8

2018: 12.8

2020: 8.4 (!!)

That is a huge drop-off. His ADOT so far in 2020 is down to 4.7 from 8.8 in 2018 and 9.7 in 2019. I haven't watched a ton of Steelers games this year but why are they not targeting him deep? Is he not getting YAC? Either way, I would be looking to sell on the name. If the Steelers are ok with him being the underneath move the chains guy while Johnson and Claypool get the more valuable targets, he's not going to return draft value this year.

24 minutes ago, Wise Old Owl said:

We have only a small sample size for this year but here are Ben's attempts per game this year and in JuJu's two good years

2017: 37.4

2018: 42.18 (Career High for Ben by a lot)

2020: 33

Ben's yards per game are also down. They just aren't throwing the ball as much as peak JuJu years and he's the one suffering. He still leads the team in targets but that is largely due to Johnson missing time. I think the biggest glaring number is his yards/reception.

2017: 15.8

2018: 12.8

2020: 8.4 (!!)

That is a huge drop-off. His ADOT so far in 2020 is down to 4.7 from 8.8 in 2018 and 9.7 in 2019. I haven't watched a ton of Steelers games this year but why are they not targeting him deep? Is he not getting YAC? Either way, I would be looking to sell on the name. If the Steelers are ok with him being the underneath move the chains guy while Johnson and Claypool get the more valuable targets, he's not going to return draft value this year.

good info!

18 hours ago, Zyphros said:

Lots of downers in this thread. Buy JuJu. Next year he won't be in Pittsburgh. Free agent choosing his destination that's going to be a good spot. I'm all for buying cheap. The question I have is what's the price tag to take JuJu away? No chance I'm paying a 1st, but is a 2nd enough to pull him away? 

I put this in the dynasty trade section but it cost me a high 2021 2nd and Tee Higgins so what amounted to two 2nd's.  This was the price I was willing to pay yes there is a world where Higgins and the 2nd win the deal, but Juju has been a WR 1 twice already.  I don't know what explains all of the last year and a half, but the profile he already has at only 23 seemed worth taking a shot on.  

Steelers WR JuJu Smith-Schuster (knee) practiced in full Thursday. 

He had missed Wednesday's practice, and now appears on track to play this week against the Titans. Only startable in 14-team leagues, Smith-Schuster should remain on fantasy benches in an unfavorable Week 7 matchup. 

SOURCE: Adam Caplan on Twitter 

Oct 22, 2020, 3:50 PM ET

On 10/21/2020 at 12:56 PM, Zyphros said:

Lots of downers in this thread. Buy JuJu. Next year he won't be in Pittsburgh. Free agent choosing his destination that's going to be a good spot. I'm all for buying cheap. The question I have is what's the price tag to take JuJu away? No chance I'm paying a 1st, but is a 2nd enough to pull him away? 

JFC hell no. I thought I was getting lowball offers for him. I would be incredibly insulted if someone tried to offer me a 2nd. I agree people should be buying for the reasons you said. But a 2nd? You're high.

2 hours ago, barackdhouse said:

JFC hell no. I thought I was getting lowball offers for him. I would be incredibly insulted if someone tried to offer me a 2nd. I agree people should be buying for the reasons you said. But a 2nd? You're high.

I just got an offer of Harry and a 3rd. Harry himself is worth a 3rd. I’m not taking that at all and I view it insulting as well. I know I wouldn’t pay a 1st, but is anyone? It’s gotta be a decent WR3 type and a 2nd minimum no?

2 hours ago, barackdhouse said:

I mean, sure, but the flip side is I would be very hesitant to pay a 1st for him.  Even a low 1st.

9 hours ago, Zyphros said:

I just got an offer of Harry and a 3rd. Harry himself is worth a 3rd. I’m not taking that at all and I view it insulting as well. I know I wouldn’t pay a 1st, but is anyone? It’s gotta be a decent WR3 type and a 2nd minimum no?

I offered him for Chark and it got rejected without a counter.  At this point I think it's time to just wait and hope that he turns it around.  

At some point though we will run out of excuses.  Last year it was because of Big Ben's injury.  Now he still can't do squat.  Dude has had just one game above 90 yards since AB left. 

22 hours ago, barackdhouse said:

Yeah I mean the value of anything is whatever people are willing to pay. But I'm holding at those jacked down prices. 

I wouldnt trade him for a 3rd. 3rds will have value come draft, this guy will be one of those hope he can perform on his new team and he actually really doesnt suck type values. 

He is a toxic fantasy asset in every format right now. Liabilities do not provide much value, starting him is a liability and holding him with the chance he may end up on the Lions is a liability.

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

I wouldnt trade him for a 3rd. 3rds will have value come draft, this guy will be one of those hope he can perform on his new team and he actually really doesnt suck type values. 

He is a toxic fantasy asset in every format right now. Liabilities do not provide much value, starting him is a liability and holding him with the chance he may end up on the Lions is a liability.

This didn't age well

• Laughing 1
8 hours ago, IHEARTFF said:

Probably trying to justify dropping him before the game today

Bold Strategy Cotton. Lets see if it works 

17 hours ago, burgundy and gold said:

guy has been reliable all along on a high functioning offense! was bound to happen. much more to come. still feel this way?

Yes. I expect this type of reaction. Its like a video of Lions fans celebrating their win this weekend like they won the Superbowl. When you have been suffering owning a guy who isnt rosterable and he gets u 9/85/0 and act like he is a god after games of 4/28/0 and 2/6/0 and no games of over 70 yards before this?

Yes I still feel he isnt rosterable just because some are excited he ended up breaking 10 points for the first time since week 3.

• Like 1
On 10/25/2020 at 4:47 PM, IHEARTFF said:

Probably trying to justify dropping him before the game today

Are people really this excited about a dude who has sucked when he gets a game for 9/85/0 and got it because the Steelers had to throw?

He isnt even a part of the game plan, he is the WR3 on a team. I dropped him last week, after he went 2 for 6 and scooped Kirk.

Kirk, a guy on the wire still got more than him in the game you guys are excited about.

I liked JuJu, but his desperate feeding at the end doesnt change that he isnt part of this offense and it has shown. They dont even draw up plays for him.

This blurb puts it into context from fantasypros...

(fantasypros) JuJu Smith-Schuster caught 9-of-13 targets for 85 yards in the Steelers' Week 7 win over the Titans.

Analysis: This is the first time that Smith-Schuster has topped 84 receiving yards since Antonio Brown left town. It took a lot of volume to get there are the 23-year-old has become a low aDOT possession receiver in this Pittsburgh passing attack. A tough matchup with the Ravens is on deck.

13 targets to get to 85 yards and people are trying to chastise me for having an opinion on a guy who isnt even a top flight WR. lol

In half PPR catches are nice, but I need yards and TDs.

Edited by Razors Edge
6 hours ago, Judge Smails said:

How many games over 100 yards again? 

Sounds like something I read in the Diontae thread the last few weeks when people were ripping him.

Why 100? Why not 150, or 70, or 87, or 113.25? What is so magical about this 100 yard thing that people keep trying to use it as some kind of barometer?

5 hours ago, Judge Smails said:

5 point bonus? Same as 100 yards rushing or 300 yards passing. Just saying in non PPR  leagues the 9 catches for 80 yards aren’t as meaningful. But of course Davante Adams  and Tyler Lockett games are even more magical 

Thanks for reply and that makes sense in that scoring format. I thought people referencing the 100 yards games was that was used as the measuring stick of how good a player was performing.

JuJu Smith-Schuster (knee) did not practice Wednesday.

This is the same injury that has limited JuJu throughout all of October. In the end, the outcome is always the same - Smith-Schuster plays on Sunday. He's coming off a 14 target, 85-yard effort against the Titans, easily the receiver's best output of the season. Both Diontae Johnson and Eric Ebron missed practice on Wednesday.

Oct 28, 2020, 7:55 PM ET

On 10/27/2020 at 8:35 PM, Judge Smails said:

5 point bonus? Same as 100 yards rushing or 300 yards passing. Just saying in non PPR  leagues the 9 catches for 80 yards aren’t as meaningful. But of course Davante Adams  and Tyler Lockett games are even more magical 

In half point PPR, catches barely register. Takes 2 catches to get 10 yards.

9/85/0 is 13 points

or

4/60/1 is 14 points

When you dont get TDs or yards, when its not a full blow PPR, you wont matter much.

12 catches is worth 60 yards in comparison.

A deep 70 yards TD catch is worth more than a 8 catch 100 yard day.

The circumstances matter.

JuJu Smith-Schuster (knee) returned to Steelers practice Thursday, getting in a "full" session.

This is Smith-Schuster's routine. Finally coming off a high-target effort vs. the Titans, Smith-Schuster is a WR3 for Sunday's tough date with the Ravens. 

Oct 29, 2020, 8:00 PM ET

JuJu Smith-Schuster caught 7-of-8 targets for 67 yards in the Steelers' Week 8 win over the Ravens. 

He was second on the team in targets. JuJu got going in the second quarter as he found soft spots in the Baltimore defense, narrowly missing a touchdown in the first half. This makes two straight games in which JuJu has shown signs of life following a start to the season that left fantasy players flummoxed and unsure of what to do with the wideout. He'll be a WR3/4 option next week against Dallas. 

- Rotoworld

Edited by The Frankman
  • Like 1

In half PPR, 1 point per 10.

Wk1- 21.9

Wk2- 8.3

Wk3- 14.3

Wk5- 4.8

Wk6- 1.6

wk7- 13

Wk8- 10.2

Half the season down. Verdict: Not worth rostering.

If you cut him for random scrub of the week DJ Dallas last second in redraft, yup, you did better. When random scrubs are doing better on avg, then he isnt worth rostering.

If you cut him for Bernard last week, you also did better. To be rosterable you have to be better then scrub of the week, sorry....JuJu has not been better then scrub of the week based of statistical numerical evidence that can not be disputed in halp ppr.I understand not everyone plays half ppr, disregard if you dont, but us that do...its indisputable juju should be on the wire. He may have a good game down the road, but the bread is baked, he is what he is...a scrub not worth rostering in half ppr redraft. 

This post assumes you are not starting him at WR and he is only there as bye week filler and only in flex when desperate still, look elsewhere. He isnt part of game plan, he gets target in desperate situations. 

Edited by Razors Edge
On 11/1/2020 at 3:23 PM, SanDawg said:

I'll have to take some injuries for him to leave my bench the rest of the way.

I got Hill on a Bye Week. Depending how bad Justin Jackson is hurt I may need a Flex. I got a few guys but Juju seems like a safer bet right now for me

• Like 1

JuJu Smith-Schuster (knee) did not practice Wednesday.

This is becoming standard for JuJu on Wednesdays since the start of October. Most importantly, Smith-Schuster ultimately ends up playing on Sunday and should be in your lineup against the Bengals in Week 10.

Nov 11, 2020, 6:54 PM ET

JuJu Smith-Schuster caught 9-of-13 targets for 77 yards and a touchdown in the Steelers' Week 10 win over the Bengals. 

Smith-Schuster's touchdown was an eight-yard strike where Ben Roethlisberger appeared dead to rights before climbing the pocket to find his slot man for the score. The nine catches matched Smith-Schuster's season high, with the 13 targets one off. Despite that prodigious volume, Smith-Schuster has still yet to have a 100-yard day, and is averaging less than 10 yards per catch. Diontae Johnson and Chase Claypool get all the deep work in this offense, with Johnson a targets hog and Claypool a red zone magnet. That conspires to keep Smith-Schuster as a low-end WR2. All three have plus Week 11 matchups in the Jaguars.  

- Rotoworld

Edited by The Frankman
  • Like 1

JuJu Smith-Schuster (foot) returned to Steelers practice on Tuesday, getting in a "limited" session. 

Smith-Schuster got a Week 11 scare when he stepped on a ref's flag, but it appears he will be good to go for Thursday's short-week matchup with the Ravens. That is, if COVID-19 allows the game to be played. Smith-Schuster's targets have been mostly locked in, though he was a distant Week 11 third behind Diontae Johnson and Chase Claypool. Smith-Schuster is operating as a volume-based, low-end WR2. 

Nov 24, 2020, 4:09 PM ET

JuJu Smith-Schuster caught 8-of-9 targets for 37 yards in the Steelers' Week 12 win over the Ravens.

Eight catches for 37 yards highlights how limited this Steelers offense can look at time if receivers cannot win after the catch. Ravens' defensive backs did an outstanding job of tackling, but Smith-Schuster was able to score the lone touchdown for his team's offense on a simple outside breaking route inside the five-yard line. Despite his exceedingly lower average depth of target over the last two weeks, JuJu should be considered a WR2 against Washington in Week 13.

Dec 2, 2020, 6:52 PM ET