What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR JuJu Smith-Schuster, NE (2 Viewers)

2017 NFL Draft Live Analysis: Fantasy Football Values

Excerpt:

Pittsburgh Steelers: JuJu Smith-Schuster, WR – JJSS has good acceleration and smooth movement that lets him slip past defenders. Smith-Schuster also has good hands the body to break tackles after the catch. I wouldn’t expect much from Smith-Schuster as a rookie assuming Martavis Bryant is back to his old self and on the field. You have a pecking order of Le’Veon BellAntonio Brown and Bryant before you even get to JJSS and Eli Rogers. On the positive side of things, Smith-Schuster can learn and develop with a great team and coaching staff, giving him solid dynasty value. This likely ensures that Sammie Coates is on another team in 2017.

Self-reported times are meaningless. DT has never looked like a 4.3 guy in the NFL, and I've always been a huge DT fan. He is fast, but 4.3 is a different level of speed. That's bordering on elite/professional track type of speed. DT isn't that fast IMO. I'd say 4.48-4.55 if I had to guess.

Also disagree on their body types. Both have the big, tapered look. Swap their jerseys and they look like the same guy in these pictures:

DT at Georgia Tech: http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/wide-receiver-demaryius-thomas-of-the-georgia-tech-yellow-jackets-picture-id91241561

JuJu: http://images.onset.freedom.com/ocregister/odkunu-b88798574z.120160915201922000glqit6hq.10.jpg

DT: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/8a/4b/ea/8a4bea630b9109fd29580d6dac5f2cfc.jpg

JuJu: http://c8.alamy.com/comp/F5AWFE/berkeley-usa-ca-31st-oct-2015-usc-9-wr-juju-smith-schuster-look-over-F5AWFE.jpg

If anything, JuJu is bigger than DT in terms of thickness/mass. Your numbers on DT's dimensions are off. He was 6'3 1/4" 224 at the combine (27.8 BMI). We don't know JuJu's actual height/weight yet, but DraftScout has him at 6'1 1/2" 220 (28.6 BMI). That seems about right to me. He's built a lot like DT, but a touch shorter and stronger. I see him as a slightly more Boldin-y version of DT, or alternatively as a very rich man's Quincy Enunwa.
Nice comp post.

9, 9, and 15 in my three drafts so far. 

Where he was picked 15, we start 2 rbs and 2 WRs with 1 flex in a ten team league, so WRs are a bit less valuable. 

yeah I have the 7, 13 and 15 in one league and have to grab a TE at some point, so if i accomplish that, he is someone im targeting with one of those 2nd round picks

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette suggests the Steelers could play more four-receiver offense this season.
Assuming conditionally-reinstated Martavis Bryant is all systems go, the Steelers will have Bryant, Antonio Brown, Eli Rogers, and second-rounder JuJu Smith-Schuster available at wideout. Losing Ladarius Green removed a weapon from Pittsburgh's offense, and more four-wide packages could be one way to compensate. Last year's Steelers went four wide on just 1 percent of their plays. For comparison, the Jets led the NFL in four-wide sets at 33 percent.

Source: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers second-round WR JuJu Smith-Schuster said he has been getting work in the slot.

This matches up with what beat writers have been predicting since the draft. After cutting Ladarius Green, the Steelers lack a dynamic weapon at tight end, but they could help make up for it by using Smith-Schuster as a "big slot" receiver in three- and four-wide packages. Eli Rogers is the rookie's main competition inside.

Source: Jacob Klinger on Twitter

Steelers second-round WR JuJu Smith-Schuster was getting reps with the first-team offense in the red zone at OTAs.

The rookie has mainly been working with the twos as the Steelers' No. 4 receiver, but the offense is highlighting his size by getting him some looks in the scoring area. Should everyone stay healthy and on the field, Smith-Schuster likely will have a tough time accumulating stats in year one, but he could score a few TDs.

Source: Pittsburgh Tribune-Review 

Jul 5 - 9:44 AM

BigTex said:
Dynasty buy and stash!

Tex
He's fairly expensive in dynasty (at least in my league, pick 11), but I plan to stash him. And he's very young so he should be able to outlast AB and Martavis, but will his QB be good enough by then. Since it won't be Big Ben.

He's fairly expensive in dynasty (at least in my league, pick 11), but I plan to stash him. And he's very young so he should be able to outlast AB and Martavis, but will his QB be good enough by then. Since it won't be Big Ben.
Great points.  Smith-Schuster's dynasty price is too high at the moment, IMO.  I will look to trade for him mid-season when he is being over-shadowed by Brown and Bryant.  Typically, I have found that is the best time to invest, but be prepared to stash him away and wait a couple seasons to see how his situation develops.  Of course, if Bryant finds himself in trouble again or an injury opens up a spot for JuJu, you may never get the opportunity to buy low, but that is a risk I will take.

Great points.  Smith-Schuster's dynasty price is too high at the moment, IMO.  I will look to trade for him mid-season when he is being over-shadowed by Brown and Bryant.  Typically, I have found that is the best time to invest, but be prepared to stash him away and wait a couple seasons to see how his situation develops.  Of course, if Bryant finds himself in trouble again or an injury opens up a spot for JuJu, you may never get the opportunity to buy low, but that is a risk I will take.
That would have been my plan, but I had 6 picks in the top 13, so I figured I could use one on a player I really like even if his early potential isn't great.

Many rookies will be their cheapest value around mid-season when they still haven't done anything.

But what if he does something? He's a hard worker and his skill set doesn't overlap much with AB/Bryant, so he could get on the field a lot from day one. If you really like him, I wouldn't chance waiting in case he blows up and becomes even more expensive. If you're not sold and you want to wait and see, then I agree that hoping he has a Treadwell or Doctson type of rookie year is a decent idea.

But what if he does something? He's a hard worker and his skill set doesn't overlap much with AB/Bryant, so he could get on the field a lot from day one. If you really like him, I wouldn't chance waiting in case he blows up and becomes even more expensive. If you're not sold and you want to wait and see, then I agree that hoping he has a Treadwell or Doctson type of rookie year is a decent idea.
That's where I ended up with him.  I'm a believer, that sophomore year wasn't an aberration, so I'd rather slightly overpay now.  I also have no faith in Martavis staying clean long term.   They haven't done anything at TE so I'm thinking he gets first crack at some of the chain-mover/red-zone work.  He doesn't have the size to play move or H full time but if he gets some looks while he's learning he can hold value, and there are a bunch of ways he can skyrocket quickly.

Ramon Foster noticed him at OTAs: http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Foster-saw-a-lot-to-like-during-OTAs/935d1e0d-d54d-4a5a-bc06-5e9c6dc04512

"The Steelers' most-impressive rookie:
"What is that, the Mean Joe Greene (Great Performance) Award? It might be a tie if (T.J. Watt and JuJu Smith-Schuster) can play up to what they've done in the spring and mature and maintain. If you think about it, they are going to be going an entire year with no time off, meaning the combine training, the combine, the draft, the spring, summer camp, and then a full season. If they can maintain, they're going to help us in a major way."

I'm excited to have him on my roster he'll be playing one of the best in the game and plenty of time to pick his brain.

im a big believer in Draft Pedigree but there's value in where they were drafted too.

Tex

got him at 2.09 in my idp.  

considering him at 1.06 in my other dynasty.  
1.06 is probably too high for him.  He probably won't do anything this year so you could draft someone else who could produce sooner, and trade him for Juju and a pick.  Or just try and trade back. Recently I haven't seen him go in the top 10.

If he does well this year, and it's not because Bryant or Brown got injured, I think it will be purely because of TDs.  He seems like he'll be used almost as a TE surrogate in the Steelers offense and a possible Red Zone target.  Wouldn't be shocked if he had 500 yards but 8 TDs.

If he does well this year, and it's not because Bryant or Brown got injured, I think it will be purely because of TDs.  He seems like he'll be used almost as a TE surrogate in the Steelers offense and a possible Red Zone target.  Wouldn't be shocked if he had 500 yards but 8 TDs.
Agree 100%

1.06 is probably too high for him.  He probably won't do anything this year so you could draft someone else who could produce sooner, and trade him for Juju and a pick.  Or just try and trade back. Recently I haven't seen him go in the top 10.
good idea. 

It's a good idea until it isn't. The players who have the breakout rookie years aren't always the players you expect to have breakout rookie years (I don't recall there being a huge amount of Tyreek Hill, Jordan Howard, Hunter Henry, and Michael Thomas hype a year ago). I'll stand by what I said: If you're a fan, get him now. You'll be kicking yourself if he blows up right away. If you're a skeptic, it's fine to wait and see. If he blows up, you won't get him cheap. If he does nothing, his price will drop. Up to you whether or not you want to take that risk.

The thing about the really good players is that they can force their way onto the field and complicate things from day one. Not always, but it's a risk. So if you sit back and say, "This guy isn't going to do anything" because his depth chart looks ugly out of the gate then you run the risk of him proving you wrong, especially if he's a special talent. I don't have any bold predictions for JuJu's rookie year, but with no TE to speak of and Bryant being a deep threat/headcase, that really only leaves AB and Bell to compete with him for the short-intermediate targets. I don't think he'll have any value in redraft leagues, but it's possible.

EBF said:
The thing about the really good players is that they can force their way onto the field and complicate things from day one. Not always, but it's a risk. So if you sit back and say, "This guy isn't going to do anything" because his depth chart looks ugly out of the gate then you run the risk of him proving you wrong, especially if he's a special talent. I don't have any bold predictions for JuJu's rookie year, but with no TE to speak of and Bryant being a deep threat/headcase, that really only leaves AB and Bell to compete with him for the short-intermediate targets. I don't think he'll have any value in redraft leagues, but it's possible.
This is the key for me.  I would much rather pay for a guy I like and turn out to be wrong or have to wait it out than accurately pick it, lose him trying to get cute and save a few pennies, and then watch him blow up on someone else's roster.  I was way high on Jordan Howard last year but only got him on one out of three rosters.  The one that burns most is when I had pick 16 and pick 22 (Howard went 27 and 28 in my prior drafts) so I took Tyler Boyd at 16 figuring I'd see Howard at 22 easily.  Howard went with the very next pick and I had to take Austin Hooper at 22.  I tried all preseason to trade for Howard to no avail.

Several of Steelers' 2017 draft picks coping with loss of valuable reps because of injuries

Smith-Schuster (sprained ankle, concussion, knee bone bruise) had three in three weeks. The Steelers' first third-round pick, Cameron Sutton, hasn't practiced fully since suffering a hamstring injury just days into camp. Their second third-round pick, James Conner, was limited during organized team activities and minicamp because of a hamstring injury, then he suffered a shoulder injury during the Steelers' first padded practice of camp July 30.
Pouncey, Harrison, Smith-Schuster All Get Work In On Wednesday

In other injury-related news, Prisuta reports that rookie wide receiver JuJu Smith-Schuster also returned to practice on Wednesday. With that said, the team’s second-round draft pick this year probably still isn’t sure if he’ll play against the Colts Saturday night as he continues to battle back from a leg bone bruise that he suffered during the team’s preseason opener.

“I’m not 100 percent right now but I can do what I can put my mind to,” Smith-Schuster said. “Today I basically did everything and I felt like the outcome of my day was good.”
Any further news about if he will be playing against the Colts or not?

I was looking at my rookie rankings the other day and wondering if I may have Schuster ranked too high there. I just haven't heard much about him recently and the return of Bryant has me wondering about the Steelers long term plans in regards to him, which could affect Schusters opportunity next year and moving forward.

This might be a good time to try to buy Schuster for those bullish on him right now. As I do like him quite a bit myself, yet I am thinking about downgrading him.

What makes this guy good is his effort.  The link from EBF, most guys would probably side step out of bounds, JuJu lowers his shoulder. 

There was another play in the game, Ben takes a really deep shot to Martavis it bounces off and JuJu comes from behind still running and makes an attempt at a diving catch.  It was way out of reach, but the effort is great to see.  As a Steeler fan this makes me happy and makes me wonder when we're going to see the breakout game.  Reminds me of AB actually so it might be a year or 2 away but I'd gamble sooner rather than later.   

I'm starting him over Martavius with Michael Thomas on a bye.  Not much else on the wire......Kearse, Robby Anderson, T. Benjamin.  Like him tomorrow with Ramsey on AB.

I read somewhere that Bouye would be on Brown more than Ramsey, who would be on Martavis most of the time. Schefter reported a little while ago that Bryant will play today.

Sounds like Aaron Colvin will be on Juju when he's on the field, he's no slouch either. None of the three WR's have a favorable match up in my opinion, but it sounds like Martavis will get the worst of it.

Users who are viewing this thread