What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Coaching Youth Sports - Crazy ### Parents (1 Viewer)

The kicker in all this is the last 4 weeks, we just hosted ~ 100 club teams in different tournaments.   *But club is dead.
South Jersey and hosting tournaments with that many teams, are you part of the group that hosts Beach Blast ?

I think there's a couple of different conversations going on. And people in one are answering people engaged in the other one and vicey versa. I was trying to be part of Mr. Ected's post about making parents shut up at games and may have inadvertently screwed up other dialogues. 
Sorry didn't mean to hijack..   Just venting

We went through that with our baseball organization, majority of old guard didn't want to change a couple things that were driving people to look at other programs. They were locals and grew up in the program and didn't know any way except "that is the way we have always done it". Luckily over a few years as their kids aged out they got discouraged and left the board and have been replaced by guys from outside the area and some local guys who saw things need to change. Has every move been perfect, no, but the reaction overall has been positive to the changes made.
Yep pretty much.   The main problem is the one guy is just clueless and running the show.  He doesn't see he's the problem. And they say they don't cater to the "upper athlete".  That fine but don't be all pissed when those kids look for other options.

Listen you can cater to the "rec kids" too.  That's why the local leagues have different divisions etc.  You can easily create 3 teams that want a little more than rec.  And still place them division appropriate.

We as a travel team excelled in the "lower level travel" , played a higher level this year and did pretty well. 4 games above .500 for a first year team. But they want to try and have us play in the lower tiered league .  

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not but we are hosting one of the Extreme Summer Heats ;)

These are fund raising events for our league.  
Got ya...Ifor some reason I thought you were talking soccer not softball. We are headed to Wildwood for the More Beach Blast soccer tournament this weekend.  You know finish baseball last week so might as well go to a soccer tournament...lol. Actually looking forward to 3 or 4 weeks downtime after that before soccer does start.

I am not but we are hosting one of the Extreme Summer Heats ;)

These are fund raising events for our league.  
Got ya...Ifor some reason I thought you were talking soccer not softball. We are headed to Wildwood for the More Beach Blast soccer tournament this weekend.  You know finish baseball last week so might as well go to a soccer tournament...lol. Actually looking forward to 3 or 4 weeks downtime after that before soccer does start.
oh. No this is all Softball.   I have no idea how our soccer league works :)

WELP - things have finally erupted in our softball board.

tl;dr - President put email out about voting on coach.   Leaves bits and pieces out about things.   I send email filling in the bits and pieces. Now there is a #### storm of nast emails and name calling.

Quite fun!!!!

I'd like to hear some opinions from parents whose kids aren't the best or second best players on the team. Doesn't seem there are any in the FFA though. :kicksrock:
:lmao: my 8 and 6 year olds are safely in the bottom 25% on their respective soccer teams

my oldest is all effort but lacks speed and athleticism.  if she gets to the ball, look right the #### out. she may well kick it hard enough to go through a kid. but that's if she can contact the ball cleanly without anyone being too close. she's nice enough that she'll let someone else kick it if they're nearby. she'll just wait and let them have their turn. great kid.

she played last night. one of her best friends is on the other team. they were in a situation whereby they were both closing on the ball but my daughter got there first. she started giggling uncontrollably and said "you kick it!" :doh:

my 6 year old is the "kid who picks flowers". that team has 2 other kids that are so oblivious and lost, though,  that they make mine look like Messi. (i coach them) when they get subbed in the first question (after i can get their attention, not because they're goofing off.. they're both just totally spaced out.. fraternal twins who have the exact same missing attention gene) is "what do i do?" followed closely by "where do i go?"

i played the three of them together on offense Monday night. they didn't move from the midfield stripe the entire quarter. it was a sewing circle for 9 minutes. :lmao:

:lmao: my 8 and 6 year olds are safely in the bottom 25% on their respective soccer teams

my oldest is all effort but lacks speed and athleticism.  if she gets to the ball, look right the #### out. she may well kick it hard enough to go through a kid. but that's if she can contact the ball cleanly without anyone being too close. she's nice enough that she'll let someone else kick it if they're nearby. she'll just wait and let them have their turn. great kid.

she played last night. one of her best friends is on the other team. they were in a situation whereby they were both closing on the ball but my daughter got there first. she started giggling uncontrollably and said "you kick it!" :doh:

my 6 year old is the "kid who picks flowers". that team has 2 other kids that are so oblivious and lost, though,  that they make mine look like Messi. (i coach them) when they get subbed in the first question (after i can get their attention, not because they're goofing off.. they're both just totally spaced out.. fraternal twins who have the exact same missing attention gene) is "what do i do?" followed closely by "where do i go?"

i played the three of them together on offense Monday night. they didn't move from the midfield stripe the entire quarter. it was a sewing circle for 9 minutes. :lmao:
:lol:  Sounds familiar.

7 year old daughter likes to run around the pile but never really "get in" to kick it. But she sure runs damn hard around in circles.

11 year old son loves soccer - is a pretty good rec player and "might" be able to play some in premier. He will have to try out for that maybe this fall.

9 year old is great at everything. Would play premier soccer but has discovered hockey (cha-ching - oof). So soccer is out for this fall. Our rule is one sport at a time per kid.

I have avoided putting them in baseball because of all the horror stories I've read here and heard about from my friends. The only one of my kids who could be a good baseball player is the 9 year old, but the financials of hockey pretty much eliminates that. 

WELP - things have finally erupted in our softball board.

tl;dr - President put email out about voting on coach.   Leaves bits and pieces out about things.   I send email filling in the bits and pieces. Now there is a #### storm of nast emails and name calling.

Quite fun!!!!
Reminds me of when I was on our youth football board.  When I got there, there was a feud ongoing with a current member of the board, and a coach.  I went to high school with the coach in question, so we knew each other.  Board member said we needed to get rid of the coach, and gave a long list of rule bending/breaking he had engaged in.  At our league wide meeting (with neighboring associations), the other associations railed me (a new representative for our league) about how we could let this guy coach and we were an embaressment.  Our board moved to remove the coach, which resulted him in going scorched earth, and slinging my name through the mud in emails to all of his parents, and everyone else he could get his name on.  Good times...good times...

I'd like to hear some opinions from parents whose kids aren't the best or second best players on the team. Doesn't seem there are any in the FFA though. :kicksrock:
What was this in reference to specifically?  My kids play multiple sports, are among the better players in some, are not in others.

Just in regards to Crazy ### Parents and Youth Sports....My son is on a 10U select baseball team which has 5 coaches, who also have son's on the team. The team has been together for a few years now - so we all know each other on and off the field.  Now granted, some coaches know they're there to help with practices and maybe warm up a pitcher during a game.  With that said, there is one Dad/Coach who has all the parents wondering what is going on in his head.  

His son isn't the most athletic and can't play many positions outside of pitcher.  The kid is too slow for the OF and doesn't field the ball well enough for the IF.   His son hasn't seen much playing time over the last couple of years, so the Dad taught his son how to throw a curveball with the thought that it will entrench him as a starting pitcher on the team.  When his son pitches, he doesn't "coach" any other player but his son.  When I say "coach", I don't mean in the traditional sense.  He waits for his son to enter the dugout with a water bottle and towel.  He then proceeds to hold the water bottle at an angle for his son to drink out of, similar to what you would see in a hamster cage.  He holds it there for all to see, and then when his son is done he takes the towel to wipe down his face, or if its hot, he'll put the towel in ice water and then press it against his son's head and hold it there.  This crazyiness goes on all the time in the dugout between these two, with the rest of the team and coaches having to walk around it - everyone just staring at them.  The parents have noticed this enough time from the sidelines that it is now comical and a little unnerving.  

He is also one of those "dads" who complains because his son doesn't play enough on the team.  Yet his son has logged the most innings pitched by a large margin, and has had a solid amount of playing time in the field.  Something like this just makes me laugh, as I've never heard of a coach complaining that his son doesn't play enough and then turns around and feed him water like a baby in between innings.  I love watching my son play ball, but I'm starting to enjoy the games a little more just to see what this guy does next!   :lmao: :popcorn:

Kids youth sports are supposed to be about 2 things:

1) Having fun

2) Learning about the game.

At no time should #2 interfere with #1 and nothing else should matter in the slightest (i.e. wins and losses or future college and pro prospects)
Winning goes directly with #1.

Have a pretty decent background in youth sports both coaching and being on a Board...there are a few different type of crazy parents...I will generalize into the two biggest categories:

*The normal over-the-top crazy...everyone knows this type...they may coach from the sideline, think their kid is already a Legend or they are the type to instigate trouble on the sideline as they attempt to undermine for their child's benefit...in these type of situations it is up to the leadership of the League to nip it in the bud and if the person persists they get the boot...f them...they are bad people and everyone is better off without them...you are always better off standing up to these type of clowns and in all honesty I have zero respect for any Board/League that does not...it is not fair to everyone else...

*The other type and I feel this is somewhat of a new phenomenon are the parents who are totally clueless about sports but don't realize they are...they bring their kids to practice late, they miss games for silly stuff like a 13 year old's birthday party and then wonder why little Johnny still sucks or doesn't get as much playing time as the kids who grind it out...this group is a big reason why many people move on to clubs from town programs...they have no concept of what a team is and could not be more selfish in their actions...they are the type who wonder why no one passes to their 14 year old and when they do they drop it because they have not put in the time or effort to help their team...

Youth sports should be fun but being part of a team is a two-way street and both sides need to uphold their side of things...

The July date stamp threw me.  My bad.
And I should edit.  She doesn't stink but she's just another kid out there has good moments and bad.

Basketball shes above average but nothing spectacular.

Softball she's consistently been a top player since the start*  

*Next season shall be interesting though.....

So I've been "lucky" enough to see all sides of it with my daughter.

Have a pretty decent background in youth sports both coaching and being on a Board...there are a few different type of crazy parents...I will generalize into the two biggest categories:

*The normal over-the-top crazy...everyone knows this type...they may coach from the sideline, think their kid is already a Legend or they are the type to instigate trouble on the sideline as they attempt to undermine for their child's benefit...in these type of situations it is up to the leadership of the League to nip it in the bud and if the person persists they get the boot...f them...they are bad people and everyone is better off without them...you are always better off standing up to these type of clowns and in all honesty I have zero respect for any Board/League that does not...it is not fair to everyone else...

*The other type and I feel this is somewhat of a new phenomenon are the parents who are totally clueless about sports but don't realize they are...they bring their kids to practice late, they miss games for silly stuff like a 13 year old's birthday party and then wonder why little Johnny still sucks or doesn't get as much playing time as the kids who grind it out...this group is a big reason why many people move on to clubs from town programs...they have no concept of what a team is and could not be more selfish in their actions...they are the type who wonder why no one passes to their 14 year old and when they do they drop it because they have not put in the time or effort to help their team...

Youth sports should be fun but being part of a team is a two-way street and both sides need to uphold their side of things...
Absolutely this.  And our President is one of them.  It is absolutely a mess.  

*The other type and I feel this is somewhat of a new phenomenon are the parents who are totally clueless about sports but don't realize they are...they bring their kids to practice late, they miss games for silly stuff like a 13 year old's birthday party and then wonder why little Johnny still sucks or doesn't get as much playing time as the kids who grind it out...this group is a big reason why many people move on to clubs from town programs...they have no concept of what a team is and could not be more selfish in their actions...they are the type who wonder why no one passes to their 14 year old and when they do they drop it because they have not put in the time or effort to help their team..
My son was playing in a tennis tournament recently, and one of his matches was cancelled because the other kid and his parents had tickets to Phantom of the Opera, and they left. The tournament organizer had the gall to ask me if we would be willing to reschedule the match at a later date. I was dumb-founded.

My son was playing in a tennis tournament recently, and one of his matches was cancelled because the other kid and his parents had tickets to Phantom of the Opera, and they left. The tournament organizer had the gall to ask me if we would be willing to reschedule the match at a later date. I was dumb-founded.
That is so weak...you want to act like a wus then deal with the ramifications of your actions...the fact that the organizer had the balls to ask this disgusts me...

Kids youth sports are supposed to be about 2 things:

1) Having fun

2) Learning about the game.

At no time should #2 interfere with #1 and nothing else should matter in the slightest (i.e. wins and losses or future college and pro prospects)
this is where different levels of play should come in.  You are correct that having fun is a big part but I also believe learning how to work hard, learning how to deal with adversity, learning how to win graciously, and learning how to lose are just as important as having fun.

I also disagree a bit that your #2 should not interfere with #1.  By this I mean, learning a game takes hard work and discipline and sometimes those are not fun.  There can be some overlap.  I do agree that if the kid doesn't enjoy learning the sport and working hard to get better then they won't be having fun and they shouldn't be playing a team sport.   If they want to do an athletic activity and just have fun without working to get better then they should take up an activity that doesn't affect 8-10 other people.   

And I should edit.  She doesn't stink but she's just another kid out there has good moments and bad.

Basketball shes above average but nothing spectacular.

Softball she's consistently been a top player since the start*  

*Next season shall be interesting though.....

So I've been "lucky" enough to see all sides of it with my daughter.
Agreed.  My older son is the better all around athlete.  He was the QB in football when he played (two concussions this past fall ended that career).  He's usually been one of the better basketball players, but now at high school, he's fallen to the middle of the pack.  In baseball, he's got a great glove, might have a shot at varsity as he could be the best defensive 2nd baseman, but he can't hit a lick.

My younger son, 20 months younger but only a grade behind, has been on the lower end of the curve.  Was horrible at football (too small and slow), was ok at basketball, and is pretty much the same player as the older one in baseball, good fielder, can't hit.  The frustrating part is he works much harder than his older brother but just doesn't have the same gifts.  It will be interesting as they get a little older to see if the younger one can pass him up.

I also disagree a bit that your #2 should not interfere with #1.  By this I mean, learning a game takes hard work and discipline and sometimes those are not fun.  There can be some overlap.  I do agree that if the kid doesn't enjoy learning the sport and working hard to get better then they won't be having fun and they shouldn't be playing a team sport.   If they want to do an athletic activity and just have fun without working to get better then they should take up an activity that doesn't affect 8-10 other people.   
I disagree with this for the most part.  This is the reason most of the "major" sports kids can play these days have rec teams and club/select /travel teams.  Rec teams are great places for the kids who just want to play a game, but don't want to put the extra work in or have other things that will take priority when there's a conflict. That's why we have rec teams for kids, intramural sports in college, and co-ed beer leagues for adults - because team sports are fun even for those who don't feel like putting the hard work into it.

CletiusMaximus said:
I disagree with this for the most part.  This is the reason most of the "major" sports kids can play these days have rec teams and club/select /travel teams.  Rec teams are great places for the kids who just want to play a game, but don't want to put the extra work in or have other things that will take priority when there's a conflict. That's why we have rec teams for kids, intramural sports in college, and co-ed beer leagues for adults - because team sports are fun even for those who don't feel like putting the hard work into it.
I think they should also have "drop off" leagues, where parents drop the kids off at a designated place and time and the kids just choose up sides and play. I'm not joking about this.

CletiusMaximus said:
I do agree that the key is finding like minded people for team sports.  If someone wants to just screw around and not care much they should be on a team with people that feel the same way.  It is why there are different levels of play.  Much of the discourse comes from parents pushing their kids into levels they don't belong.  The kid doesn't want to work and just wants to screw around and is playing with a team that is above that level.  It is frustrating for the coach, teammates, kid, and parents.  However, it takes a parent that realistically looks at their kids participation/skill level and that doesn't happen very often.               

I think they should also have "drop off" leagues, where parents drop the kids off at a designated place and time and the kids just choose up sides and play. I'm not joking about this.
As the kid that was always picked last, or somewhere close to last, that doesn't sound like fun.  And my dad would have always just dropped me off if given that option.

on the 'not the best...' talk

my 7 year old just scored his first 'real goal(actual shot on a goalie in the net)' in hockey last weekend after playing for 4+ seasons. His only only other lifetime goal was actually a game winner, against their top rival—it was his 1st season, he was on the side of the crease, looking completely the other way. His teammate takes a shot, a bit of a floater, and it hits my son in the back of the helmet and goes in—game winner, he's credited with the goal. lol

And also, his team has been to the finals 4 season in a row, but lost all 3 before this last season...yea, we finally win the big one. Unfortunately, my sone couldn't play in the final game b/c he got stitches in his head a few days before in a hover board/kitchen wall collision.  

Don't they have this already?  It's called going to the park and playing with your friends.

As the kid that was always picked last, or somewhere close to last, that doesn't sound like fun.  And my dad would have always just dropped me off if given that option.
That's how lots of us old guys got started in sports. We didn't even get dropped off, we just got together and played. Depending on who showed, anybody could get picked first -- or last. And sometimes the not so good kids got bigger and better. Figuring out how to make the teams balanced and how to enforce the rules was part of the growing up process. 

Don't they have this already?  It's called going to the park and playing with your friends.
I don't think it's as easy to do these days, maybe because of the nature of suburbia, the lack of free ranging and the increasing likelihood that kids have tons of entertainment options available without leaving the house.

But yeah, it doesn't even have to be organized in the lighthanded manner I'm suggesting. I don't seem to see or hear about pickup much any more, though.

Once my daughter got to a high enough level in soccer to be actually playing soccer it took one game on the 75 meter (?) Field to realize "this is a dumb game". Playing forward dribbled up the side line got ball taken away stopped. Coach starts yelling at her to run back on defense. Her face ?.  Back to softball.

not sure if it was the heat (upper 80s, dewpoints 70+) or what but what a ####show at the soccer game last night. 

we usually have a ref. typically a 14-16 year old boy or girl. didn't have one last night. usually they blow the whistle a few times per game. make sure goal kicks and free kicks are setup (which consists of blowing the whistle, gathering the ball and setting it on the ground). determine throw ins and corners.

because the ref is hired by the league, the ref gives a game report back to the league. that seems to be the cap on parent behavior that people need.

no ref last night = parents going absolutely freaking berserk for 45 minutes.

holy ####. i've never heard so much screaming and complaining. these are SIX AND SEVEN YEAR OLD boys & girls. you'd have thought it was a prize fight with the crowd being split between two groups of people in a blood feud.

since we didn't have a ref & the other coach was a woman in flip flops who..... was not in shape... i volunteered to "ref". before long three parents gathered on the sidelines next to her to "help". which meant screaming at their kids because they felt like they were assistants last night.

at some point, middle of the 1st quarter a kid form the other team went down while action went the other way. i paused to check on him.. he was just tying his shoes.. play on. in the meantime one of my kids, who doesn't listen at all (who tries to sneak on the field during the run of play CONSTANTLY) scored a goal. yay team!

some fat #### on the sideline starts SCREAMING "THAT'S NOT A GOAL! THAT'S NOT FAIR! HE WAS OFFSIDES! YOUR TEAM IS CHEATING! YOU'RE CHEATING! YOU TAUGHT YOUR KIDS TO CHEAT! THAT'S NOT FAIR! WE'RE NOT COUNTING THAT GOAL! THAT'S NOT A GOAL!!!" while turning purple in the face, screaming at my kids who were celebrating like mad.... because they're 6 & 7.

i'm totally bewildered so i walk over and say "what??" to which he responds (screaming) "THAT KID WAS OFFSIDES! HE'S CHEATING! HE WAS WAY OFFSIDES THE WHOLE TIME! YOU TOLD YOUR KIDS TO CHEAT!!!!"

to which i responded "dafuq?"

to which he responded "HE TOLD ME YOU TOLD HIM TO STAND THERE AND WAIT FOR THE BALL SO HE COULD SCORE! THAT'S CHEATING! YOU'RE CHEATING!"

trying to set a good example by not throat punching the fat ####, i say "i didn't tell him any such thing. we can disallow the goal. nobody is keeping score anyways. the kids don't know the difference."

he gave me an eye roll and yelled "YOU'RE CHEATING! WE'RE NOT COUNTING THAT GOAL, GUYS! WE'RE NOT GOING TO LOSE BECAUSE THEY CHEAT!"

jesus ####### christ, ace. your special little sunflower won't remember this game come snack time in 20 minutes. unless you bet the mortgage on the outcome tonight, i think you'd better slow down before you choke on your own tongue.

the whole night was that way. parents calling out the smallest infractions as though someone was committing murder.

we had a situation where their goalie made a really nice stop, picked up the ball and immediately 15 people were screaming for him to do something different. he was waffling between running, throwing and kicking the ball so quickly that it looked like a computer animation glitching. after a solid 30 seconds he finally settled on putting the ball down in the goalie box, then ran up to boot it.... directly in to one of my kids who reflexively put his arms up to protect his face.  the ball deflected off my kid, i immediately called a hand ball and a free kick... which set off a chorus of cries that my kids were cheating, that i was teaching them to hit the ball with their hands, etc. etc.

it was unbelievable

because we had no whistles & i wasn't keeping time (no watch) we had a parent call out the quarter breaks. at halftime he yelled "HALF! BREAK!" but over the din of the other screaming parents and the kids adrenaline pumping they didn't hear it. so play continued on as i kept repeating "break! break! that's half! but that was apparently drowned out by the parents screaming, and i mean, screaming, that my team was cheating by trying to prevent the ball from going in our goal... even though it was halftime.

it was like listening to 20 drill instructors scream at Marines on day 1, simultaneously.

finally one of my girls just full on dove on top of the ball, got kicked, and the action stopped while the other teams parents screamed "HAND BALL!! THAT'S NOT FAIR!!"

jesus. i'm going to line up all the parents next week and punch every one of them in their face.

not sure if it was the heat (upper 80s, dewpoints 70+) or what but what a ####show at the soccer game last night. 

we usually have a ref. typically a 14-16 year old boy or girl. didn't have one last night. usually they blow the whistle a few times per game. make sure goal kicks and free kicks are setup (which consists of blowing the whistle, gathering the ball and setting it on the ground). determine throw ins and corners.

because the ref is hired by the league, the ref gives a game report back to the league. that seems to be the cap on parent behavior that people need.

no ref last night = parents going absolutely freaking berserk for 45 minutes.

holy ####. i've never heard so much screaming and complaining. these are SIX AND SEVEN YEAR OLD boys & girls. you'd have thought it was a prize fight with the crowd being split between two groups of people in a blood feud.

since we didn't have a ref & the other coach was a woman in flip flops who..... was not in shape... i volunteered to "ref". before long three parents gathered on the sidelines next to her to "help". which meant screaming at their kids because they felt like they were assistants last night.

at some point, middle of the 1st quarter a kid form the other team went down while action went the other way. i paused to check on him.. he was just tying his shoes.. play on. in the meantime one of my kids, who doesn't listen at all (who tries to sneak on the field during the run of play CONSTANTLY) scored a goal. yay team!

some fat #### on the sideline starts SCREAMING "THAT'S NOT A GOAL! THAT'S NOT FAIR! HE WAS OFFSIDES! YOUR TEAM IS CHEATING! YOU'RE CHEATING! YOU TAUGHT YOUR KIDS TO CHEAT! THAT'S NOT FAIR! WE'RE NOT COUNTING THAT GOAL! THAT'S NOT A GOAL!!!" while turning purple in the face, screaming at my kids who were celebrating like mad.... because they're 6 & 7.

i'm totally bewildered so i walk over and say "what??" to which he responds (screaming) "THAT KID WAS OFFSIDES! HE'S CHEATING! HE WAS WAY OFFSIDES THE WHOLE TIME! YOU TOLD YOUR KIDS TO CHEAT!!!!"

to which i responded "dafuq?"

to which he responded "HE TOLD ME YOU TOLD HIM TO STAND THERE AND WAIT FOR THE BALL SO HE COULD SCORE! THAT'S CHEATING! YOU'RE CHEATING!"

trying to set a good example by not throat punching the fat ####, i say "i didn't tell him any such thing. we can disallow the goal. nobody is keeping score anyways. the kids don't know the difference."

he gave me an eye roll and yelled "YOU'RE CHEATING! WE'RE NOT COUNTING THAT GOAL, GUYS! WE'RE NOT GOING TO LOSE BECAUSE THEY CHEAT!"

jesus ####### christ, ace. your special little sunflower won't remember this game come snack time in 20 minutes. unless you bet the mortgage on the outcome tonight, i think you'd better slow down before you choke on your own tongue.

the whole night was that way. parents calling out the smallest infractions as though someone was committing murder.

we had a situation where their goalie made a really nice stop, picked up the ball and immediately 15 people were screaming for him to do something different. he was waffling between running, throwing and kicking the ball so quickly that it looked like a computer animation glitching. after a solid 30 seconds he finally settled on putting the ball down in the goalie box, then ran up to boot it.... directly in to one of my kids who reflexively put his arms up to protect his face.  the ball deflected off my kid, i immediately called a hand ball and a free kick... which set off a chorus of cries that my kids were cheating, that i was teaching them to hit the ball with their hands, etc. etc.

it was unbelievable

because we had no whistles & i wasn't keeping time (no watch) we had a parent call out the quarter breaks. at halftime he yelled "HALF! BREAK!" but over the din of the other screaming parents and the kids adrenaline pumping they didn't hear it. so play continued on as i kept repeating "break! break! that's half! but that was apparently drowned out by the parents screaming, and i mean, screaming, that my team was cheating by trying to prevent the ball from going in our goal... even though it was halftime.

it was like listening to 20 drill instructors scream at Marines on day 1, simultaneously.

finally one of my girls just full on dove on top of the ball, got kicked, and the action stopped while the other teams parents screamed "HAND BALL!! THAT'S NOT FAIR!!"

jesus. i'm going to line up all the parents next week and punch every one of them in their face.
:lmao:  - I have no idea why parents subject themselves to this torture!  It is good banter the next day on random innerwebs though.  Thanks for sharing, this is a good start to the AM. 

:lmao:  - I have no idea why parents subject themselves to this torture!  It is good banter the next day on random innerwebs though.  Thanks for sharing, this is a good start to the AM. 
was chatting with one of the dads afterwards. his oldest kid babysits my kids. he has three, all play soccer. he's one of those laidback guys who just sits in his lawn chair, mouth shut and watches. he must have been the only quiet one there last night.

said that was the worst he'd seen in his years watching 3 different soccer teams. unreal.

was chatting with one of the dads afterwards. his oldest kid babysits my kids. he has three, all play soccer. he's one of those laidback guys who just sits in his lawn chair, mouth shut and watches. he must have been the only quiet one there last night.

said that was the worst he'd seen in his years watching 3 different soccer teams. unreal.
Sounds like you need to bring beer and a chair to the next match.  No more of this volunteering thing.  Also, just to stir the pot a little bit, you should have stopped the game, grabbed the other coach and told her that you were going to make them forfeit if the parents from their side did not shut their pie holes.  That would have been epic!

I have been a head coach and assistant coach in travel baseball with my son since he was 8 years old. I have seen and heard it all.

However I went to some of my nieces soccer games....and have also been to one of her monster tourneys in Disney.....let me tell you....the amount of plain ridiculousness I heard and observed from girls soccer parents was beyond anything I ever saw or heard in baseball.

Far beyond. 

I also watched a travel hockey game of one of my son's good friend......a fist fight broke out in the stands between two dads. 

Just insanity.

I wish I would have kept a diary during my years as a youth coach/parent/spectator.  I saw some crazy things.  I'm sure everyone has.  Good times.

well, that was cathartic. helped me send an email to the parents that didn't include threats of violence :thumbup:
Have seen similar from parents at my kids soccer game when we were in a similar situation of no ref showing up.... however, we had a whistle.  Our coach agreed to ref.. and like you, these were 7 year old kids playing, maybe 8.   Parents got a little nutso, maybe not as bad as what you had from the sounds of it, but at one point, our coach blew the whistle to stop play, walked over to one particular loud parent from the other side, and handed them the whistle and told them they could ref the game since they were calling it anyway ----   pure silence.  It was perfect and it definitely reduced the sideline chatter.

Users who are viewing this thread