What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Black lives matter (3 Viewers)

Good story by Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Here is an excerpt 

But police brutality is merely the most dramatic and violent attack on the lives of African Americans. It’s a TV camera-ready symbol of their status in America as negligible and disposable. Unruly children to be punished for their impertinence, regardless of how justified their outcry. However, the more insidious and damaging threat to the health, lives, and economic well-being of Black Americans is a health care system that ignores the fact that, though they are most in need of medical services, they actually receive the lowest level.

And that, right there, is white privilege. 
No it's not.

If I can provide even one example of a black person with a gun NOT getting shot after a police stop and resisting arrest I can destroy your assertion on the spot.  Here you go:

https://www.kktv.com/2020/12/10/watch-police-in-colorado-release-body-camera-footage-after-woman-allegedly-claims-she-was-jumped-by-aurora-officers/

That, right there, must be black privilege (if we use your standards-of-identifying-privilege).

Last edited by a moderator:
No it's not.

If I can provide even one example of a black person with a gun NOT getting shot after a police stop and resisting arrest I can destroy your assertion on the spot.  Here you go:

https://www.kktv.com/2020/12/10/watch-police-in-colorado-release-body-camera-footage-after-woman-allegedly-claims-she-was-jumped-by-aurora-officers/

That, right there, must be black privilege (if we use your standards-of-identifying-privilege).
Did you miss the ending of the first video? The part where the guy wasn't removed from his car, wasn't arrested on the spot, and in fact just drove away from the incident?

Do you think that scenario ends differently if the guy in the car is a black guy? Obviously we don't know with certainty, but history tells us that things likely go very badly if that guy was black and not white.

Did you miss the ending of the first video? The part where the guy wasn't removed from his car, wasn't arrested on the spot, and in fact just drove away from the incident?

Do you think that scenario ends differently if the guy in the car is a black guy? Obviously we don't know with certainty, but history tells us that things likely go very badly if that guy was black and not white.
Black people flee police all the time. What % of the time do you think they get shot? 

A little political humor:

When is a racist word, not racist:

Steadman™ @AsteadWesley · 7h

the Rs message in GA is if Dems win the hill would be controlled by Bernie Sanders and AOC when really it'd be like Manchin and Sinema

Eric Michael Garcia @EricMGarcia · 7h

Coons!

webpagedude@websightguy

Replying to @EricMGarcia and @AsteadWesley

Sir, what?

Steadman™ @AsteadWesley ·

he's talking about the senator lmaoooo

Sure - lets spread False Information under the guise of faux outrage.

Yet the renaming of Lincoln High School was a slam dunk for the committee, which didn’t even discuss it, according to video of the meetings. The members of the committee, appointed by the school board, deemed whether a person’s actions or beliefs met the criteria for renaming, and moved on. The committee’s spreadsheet with notes on their research listed the federal treatment of Native Americans during his administration as the reason.

“The discussion for Lincoln centered around his treatment of First Nation peoples, because that was offered first,” Jeffries said. “Once he met criteria in that way, we did not belabor the point.”

Yet the renaming of Lincoln High School was a slam dunk for the committee, which didn’t even discuss it, according to video of the meetings. The members of the committee, appointed by the school board, deemed whether a person’s actions or beliefs met the criteria for renaming, and moved on. The committee’s spreadsheet with notes on their research listed the federal treatment of Native Americans during his administration as the reason.

“The discussion for Lincoln centered around his treatment of First Nation peoples, because that was offered first,” Jeffries said. “Once he met criteria in that way, we did not belabor the point.”
Too many idiots in this country.

Does this make the renaming a better decision? 

Does this make the renaming a better decision? 
:shrug:

But, it does mean they didn't add Lincoln to the list "because Lincoln didn't demonstrate that black lives mattered to him."

Honestly, my history is not so great outside of mainstream history - so I did not really know about his policies with native Americans -so I am not in a position to judge whether that deserves more scrutiny.  I think most people learn a certain view point of history, and it glosses over a lot of gray areas - to the point where many people are offended when someone wants to look more closely at history - perhaps from a different view point.

Still one of the dumbest decisions I've ever heard. Straight out of San Francisco. Where else?

Yes, a nuanced view of history. I wonder how nuanced they are about Lincoln's other questionable moves like suspending habeas corpus for individuals considered enemies of the Union. Gee, wonder why they won't examine that?

Still one of the dumbest decisions I've ever heard. Straight out of San Francisco. Where else?

Yes, a nuanced view of history. I wonder how nuanced they are about Lincoln's other questionable moves like suspending habeas corpus for individuals considered enemies of the Union. Gee, wonder why they won't examine that?
You'd be o.k. with taking his name off the school for that?

You'd be o.k. with taking his name off the school for that?
No, I wouldn't be. It's an example of how "nuanced" thinking can be actually nitpicking and stupid. Lincoln saved the Union and freed slaves. That alone should be enough to solidify his status on a school.

Any other talk is cause for not taking that person seriously. At all.

While the recommendation may be officially based on Lincoln's actions with respect to native Americans, the chairman of the renaming committee is critical of Lincoln's attitude towards Black people.

“Lincoln, like the presidents before him and most after, did not show through policy or rhetoric that Black lives ever mattered to them outside of human capital and as casualties of wealth building.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/abe-lincoln-was-a-hero-now-he-s-a-bad-guy-in-some-s-f-education-circles/ar-BB1bUNoA

:shrug:

But, it does mean they didn't add Lincoln to the list "because Lincoln didn't demonstrate that black lives mattered to him."

Honestly, my history is not so great outside of mainstream history - so I did not really know about his policies with native Americans -so I am not in a position to judge whether that deserves more scrutiny.  I think most people learn a certain view point of history, and it glosses over a lot of gray areas - to the point where many people are offended when someone wants to look more closely at history - perhaps from a different view point.
Lincoln was a progressive for his time imo.  He did have several policies and promises to native Americans that were never met primarily because of the civil war  and his presidency getting cut short.  Shame on San Francisco...

May I ask why you care so much about how schools are named in San Francisco?

They haven't decided to rename, FYI. A committee has recommend it. The board has not taken it up. 

Personally I wouldn’t float ideas like this as recommendations.  

They haven't decided to rename, FYI. A committee has recommend it. The board has not taken it up. 

Personally I wouldn’t float ideas like this as recommendations.  
Me either. Just saying, I don't think we're at the finger waving at all of San Francisco stage yet. A couple of people are pushing agendas - we'll see how far they get. Hopefully not very far.

Me either. Just saying, I don't think we're at the finger waving at all of San Francisco stage yet. A couple of people are pushing agendas - we'll see how far they get. Hopefully not very far.
I think the concern is that there's only a fine line separating them from power and actually enacting this sort of suggestion. It's my opinion -- and solely that -- that people who hold this particular opinion ought to have their other recommendations met with a great deal of scrutinty, at the least. Outright laughter and dismissal would serve them better.

I think the concern is that there's only a fine line separating them from power and actually enacting this sort of suggestion. It's my opinion -- and solely that -- that people who hold this particular opinion ought to have their other recommendations met with a great deal of scrutinty, at the least. Outright laughter and dismissal would serve them better.
It used to be right-wingers who pushed stupid stuff like this -- getting mad about evolution being taught in schools, worrying about kids turning to witchcraft because they read a Harry Potter* book in the school library, abstinence-only sex ed, etc.  Now it's the Woke doing this stuff, but that's just a slightly different flavor of puritanism, and laughter is still the best response.

* Of course Harry Potter is problematic again for reasons that would be hard to explain to a normal person.  

It used to be right-wingers who pushed stupid stuff like this -- getting mad about evolution being taught in schools, worrying about kids turning to witchcraft because they read a Harry Potter* book in the school library, abstinence-only sex ed, etc.  Now it's the Woke doing this stuff, but that's just a slightly different flavor of puritanism, and laughter is still the best response.

* Of course Harry Potter is problematic again for reasons that would be hard to explain to a normal person.  
I'm not sure. I think simply laughing and dismissing might be part of the reason they're winning the culture in Academia, MSM, and Big Tech. 

Actually, regarding states rights it’s spot on. 

Care to answer the question?
Do you care if schools in Mississippi force students to say a little prayer each morning?  If so, you should be able to understand why people make fun of school officials in other jurisdictions.

• Thanks
Reactions: JAA

I'm just checking in from the peanut gallery here, brother, but I'm guessing he probably strongly disagrees with the reasoning of the putative neo-Torquemadas spearheading these types of relentless idealistic purification crusades, and he probably believes it's a bad idea for that school of thought to grow more pervasive throughout American society than it already is right now.

but that seems to be pretty self-explanatory to me, so your question comes across like a non-sequitur - it sounds like you're looking to dismiss discussion of the issue based on geography versus substantive value. Along the lines of IK's post, do you also feel that no one outside of Glynn County ought to have an opinion about the murder of Ahmaud Arbery?

• Thanks
Reactions: JAA
Black patients had nearly three times the frequency of occult hypoxemia that was not detected by pulse oximetry as White patients. Given the widespread use of pulse oximetry for medical decision making, these findings have some major implications, especially during the current coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) pandemic. Our results suggest that reliance on pulse oximetry to triage patients and adjust supplemental oxygen levels may place Black patients at increased risk for hypoxemia. It is important to note that not all Black patients who had a pulse oximetry value of 92 to 96% had occult hypoxemia. However, the variation in risk according to race necessitates the integration of pulse oximetry with other clinical and patient-reported data
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2029240

IvanKaramazov said:
Do you care if schools in Mississippi force students to say a little prayer each morning?  If so, you should be able to understand why people make fun of school officials in other jurisdictions.
School-led prayer hasn't been allowed in Mississippi public schools since 2013.

Thanks for posting this. I had meant to do so when I first saw this and I forgot. This topic was actually kind of fascinating and confusing.

I think those results are pretty clear that there is a flaw for using a pulse oximeter for black people. I thought to myself how does that happen? How would these devices with such a flaw slip through. So I decided to go to clinicaltrials.gov and look up the results and study criteria for several oximeters. 

A few things started to stand out. Almost none of them had reported data based on race. I thought to myself hmmmm, OK thats a bit odd, why? But then I saw that many of the studies were quite small. Some even just 12 people. So my guess is you cant really report racial data even if you had a population proportionate study, since it could be 1-2 people and that isn't really statistically significant. . 

Then I also saw that Hypertension was often an exclusion. Obesity was often an exclusion. For trials where you are trying to calculate baselines and controls, this makes sense. But it almost certainly meant that the racial makeup would be skewed. Then of course there is the lack of desire to participate in clinical trials by black people for various reasons, but mostly mistrust. Which of course skews it further. So in a trial for 25 people it might actually be a huge struggle to get even one. I imagine too you cant exactly advertise you specifically need some black people, since that would be even less trusted. But for a device like an oximeter it could be as simple as darker skin causing the device to not read well occasionally and perhaps could have been fixed with such a request. Then of course you wade into dangerous social ground too with examining differences like the difference in skin color as its own factor.

That's a lot of layers. 

IvanKaramazov said:
JAA said:

Not trying to be argumentative but are you comparing the separation of church and state to having the school committee engaging in a vote to change the name of a school?

Users who are viewing this thread