What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Black lives matter (2 Viewers)

Possum said:
I'm just checking in from the peanut gallery here, brother, but I'm guessing he probably strongly disagrees with the reasoning of the putative neo-Torquemadas spearheading these types of relentless idealistic purification crusades, and he probably believes it's a bad idea for that school of thought to grow more pervasive throughout American society than it already is right now.

but that seems to be pretty self-explanatory to me, so your question comes across like a non-sequitur - it sounds like you're looking to dismiss discussion of the issue based on geography versus substantive value. Along the lines of IK's post, do you also feel that no one outside of Glynn County ought to have an opinion about the murder of Ahmaud Arbery?
To the bolded, thank you for the speculation.  I guess Id like to hear from him as he seems to have the most angst.

Are you really comparing the murder of someone vs the school committee considering a vote on the renaming of a school?

Not trying to be argumentative but are you comparing the separation of church and state to having the school committee engaging in a vote to change the name of a school?
Because people tend to care about school boards doing stuff they don't like, whether it's their school district or somebody else's.

Not trying to be argumentative but are you comparing the separation of church and state to having the school committee engaging in a vote to change the name of a school?
Because people tend to care about school boards doing stuff they don't like, whether it's their school district or somebody else's
As someone who has to deal with a School Committee (a regional one at that), a superintendent, a teachers union, and parents, I’m just trying to be practical here. 

So it's better to use examples that are based in fact in order to make a point. School-led prayer hasn't been a thing in Mississippi for a number of years & even before it was made law in 2013 there weren't any public schools holding daily prayers.

Last edited by a moderator:
IvanKaramazov said:
..... Now it's the Woke doing this stuff, but that's just a slightly different flavor of puritanism, and laughter is still the best response.

That's not what is going on. Everyone on that committee has already been doxxed. On Parler, there are lots of private discussions ( there is an accepted understanding that public discussion will only invite the "cancel culture" into the fold) using multiple pathways talking about informal organization. By state and by city and by county and by region. When AOC talked about making a "list" of conservatives, that sparked something fierce in some folks. Another issue was a person who works in admissions for a major university let it be known that in their department, there is a clear and active bias against applications to the children of anyone established to be conservative. So on Parler, the discussion pathway is making a list of  businesses, online or brick and mortar, that are clearly not conservative friendly.

The consensus I'm seeing and reading and discussing on Parler in private is all the same. People only listen to dollars spent or dollars taken away. The only vote that matters is with your wallet. Lots of established people there want private lists with documentation of proof of overt "woke" anti-conservatives and and this will become a "Do Not Spend Money Here" approach.

For example, there is talk there about supporting Goya after the brand was attacked by AOC. There is already discussion about her boyfriend Riley Roberts (web developer) and his mother Connie ( real estate) and who they work for and how to best engage conservatives in Roberts mother's area ( Arizona) to not do business with her. People can argue the right or wrong of it, but this is happening, it's gaining traction ( not in public) and lots of people are behind it.  There are some discussions about looking at the Hollywood actors who are "woke" and simply refusing to engage in any production they are in completely. Lots of people who were NBA fans have cancelled their League Pass and given away/sold/thrown out their home team merchandise. No talk of violence, no talk of insurrection, no talk of harassment, none of that - Just look at the lists and don't spend money there period.

So local businesses in my area that I've gotten to know over time have told me that they've been asked many times if "This is a black/African American owned business"  When the answer is "No" when that's the case, there are times when the person says they won't support a non black owned business and leave.

The "best response" is when a wallet closes forever.  Look at Footballguys. This place survives on subscriptions among other things. With the NFL already struggling with this hammered economy, the woke fallout and the pandemic, this Politics section is now open Kryptonite. There are 70 million plus conservatives who voted for Trump. There are tons more who didn't vote. Any business that hedges on subscriptions has to look at conversion rates and retention rates. How many subscribers does this place lose before someone gets laid off? Coinbase figured this out quick, they pushed out all political talk in their business. Expensify did the opposite and now face problems on violating the GDPR since the political spam emails by the CEO breached into the UK.

If the uncle or cousin of someone on that committee owns a store front or an online business, that's going to work like death of a thousand cuts. Lots of businesses won't go under ( some might anyway with the pandemic) but many can just get hit hard financially.

The age of "doxxing" and "running the family tree" to choke out dollars is here. Conservatives know they are outnumbered on the MSM front and in the area of formal education and in mass media entertainment coming from Hollywood, but the real punishment is having half of the country decide your business violates their sense of personal values.

This is now a looming problem for BOTH sides of the aisle. Do you believe in your cause enough to lose 10 percent of your future customers? 20 percent? 25 percent?  This was always the end stage of political tribalism. When you divide the money, no matter the root issue that caused it, be it naming a high school or anything else, you've effectively divided the people forever.

There were 5 BLM signs on my way to work back 2 months ago.

They are gone now.  Glad thats all better
There are "local chapters" of BLM posting on Twitter reminding people they aren't affiliated with the national BLM org. Very odd but I think some of the worker bees are getting disillusioned.

I see at least 15 in a short daily walk every day.  Upwards of 50 if I walk more than a mile.  Just in my neighborhood.  No visible change from 6 months ago.
  We used to have a bunch where I walk every day though the subs.  Now only a couple are still there. I think it might be because educated people do not need a sign to tell them a life matters. When people put a sign in front of their home it is more about "look at me, I am woke" than about what really matters.

The odd thing is when I am working in a mostly black area I never see BLM signs.

We used to have a bunch where I walk every day though the subs.  Now only a couple are still there. I think it might be because educated people do not need a sign to tell them a life matters. When people put a sign in front of their home it is more about "look at me, I am woke" than about what really matters.

The odd thing is when I am working in a mostly black area I never see BLM signs.
Many black folks don’t want crazies attacking their house so the don’t put them up.  🤷🏽‍♂️

btw a ton where i live still.  Although now i moved and see less in this neighborhood and more trump signs.  🤷🏽‍♂️

Many black folks don’t want crazies attacking their house so the don’t put them up.  🤷🏽‍♂️

btw a ton where i live still.  Although now i moved and see less in this neighborhood and more trump signs.  🤷🏽‍♂️
Actually there used to be a ton of Trump, Biden and BLM signs everywhere when I walk, and I walk 3 miles every day.  Now there are hardly any.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/portland-police-officers-fleeing-in-unprecedented-numbers-a-win-for-defund-the-police-movement

Portland Police: Officers Fleeing In ‘Unprecedented’ Numbers, A ‘Win’ For ‘Defund The Police’ Movement

By  Tim Pearce Dec 24, 2020   DailyWire.com

The flight of law enforcement from the city is “unprecedented,” Assistant Chief Michael Frome told the Portland Tribune. “We really have not seen this many people leaving at this stage in their career.”

Nine officers have resigned from the Portland Police Department since November, and another 14 have filed papers to leave by the end of January. Seven others have made initial filings preparing to retire. About 25 officers are looking to transfer to other police departments, Frome, who heads the Human Resources Department, said based off requests he has received for officers’ personnel files.

The departures come after a summer of unrest pummeled the city. Nightly protests and riots took place for over 100 days straight in Portland following the death of George Floyd in Minneapolis.....

Floyd’s death ignited mass protests over alleged systemic racism in police forces across the country. Hundreds of riots rocked major cities as called to defund police departments began to spread, most often by members of the Black Lives Matter movement pushing for money to be used on social programs rather than law enforcement.

The activists’ calls to cut police budgets were picked up by some of Portland’s elected officials. In June, the City Council approved a $15 million cut to the police department’s budget to funnel more money into spending on social programs.....

According to Frome, the department has been told to prepare for another $10 million cut to its police budget next year. The assistant police chief credited the “Defund the Police” movement with the cuts to his department.

“For a lot of these people that are choosing to go somewhere else, they spent a lot of months this last summer constantly being yelled at to ‘Quit your job, quit your job.’” Frome said. “That cumulative toll on our officers, it builds up. So in some ways, yes, there is a win by those that would want the police to be defunded.”..

Mayor Ted Wheeler of Portland spearheaded an effort in June to “increase police accountability and reinvest in black and brown communities.” He proposed over $7 million in shifts from the police bureau, which included dissolving the city’s Gun Violence Reduction Team in favor of seeking ways to “fundamentally re-shape” shooting prevention.

Portland — where rioters recently established the “Red House Autonomous Zone” — almost immediately witnessed a jump in shootings. Though year-to-date shootings had risen 10.8% by May, the months of June, July, August, and September witnessed 96.8%, 186.1%, 195.1%, and 243.8% hikes respectively.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9085007/University-Michigan-task-force-claims-words-picnic-brown-bag-blacklist-offensive.html

The University of Michigan has been blasted as 'moronic' for launching a task force which has branded the words 'picnic,' 'brown bag' and 'blacklist' as offensive terms which could harm morale.

The 'Words Matter Task Force' - set up by the school's Information and Technology Services department - listed more than two dozen words and phrases that could be perceived as offensive to some people, and provided an alternative term that could be used instead.   'To effectively communicate with customers, it is important for ITS to evaluate the terms and language conventions that may hinder effective communication, harm morale, and deliberately or inadvertently exclude people from feeling accepted to foment a healthy and inclusive culture,' the task force's memorandum says.

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2020/12/24/06/37216222-9085007-image-a-86_1608791614179.jpg

It's not clear if there will be any penalties for staff who don't abide by the recommendations.

Among the banned words ( man, men, grandfathered, disabled, honey, privileged account) on the list are 'dummy', which should be replaced by 'sample', and 'crippled', which should be ditched in favor of 'weakened'. Instead of saying 'crazy', staff are encouraged to say 'unthinkable', while 'sanity check' should be replaced by 'coherence check'. The word 'picnic' appears to be banned because of false suggestions on the internet that it originates from the racist, extrajudicial killings of African Americans.  The word picnic actually comes from the 17th century French word 'pique-nique,' a term used to describe a social gathering in which attendees each contributed with a portion of food.

.....Steyn said banning words could negatively affect society as a whole, and compared the censorship of language to dystopian literature, such as the work of George Orwell.

'If you lack the word to express a thought, in the end you can't think a thought,' Steyn said. He added: 'You don't go to a university to shrink your vocabulary.'

Steyn called out the university, saying 'Pull your kids out of this school folks, this isn't a school anymore!' The University of Michigan was blasted as 'moronic' for launching a task force on offensive words. Steyn ended his interview by linking the censorship of language to rioting in the streets.  'If you lack the vocabulary to hold a debate, it's easier to just lob a piece of concrete threw a store window,' Steyn said."

So the defund the police movement will just shift the dollars to pay for their pensions longer.  Little of it will go to the causes they want.  Oh, I'm sure Portland taxes will go up also.  Enjoy.  

There are "local chapters" of BLM posting on Twitter reminding people they aren't affiliated with the national BLM org. Very odd but I think some of the worker bees are getting disillusioned.
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2020/dec/2/black-lives-matter-hit-grassroots-revolt-power-str/

"Black Lives Matter movement imploding over internal power struggle, money grabs

By Valerie Richardson - The Washington Times - Wednesday, December 2, 2020

.....After years of tensions between the national organization and local outlets, the rift went public this week with the release of a statement by 10 BLM chapters accusing the top brass at the Black Lives Matter Global Network Foundation of failing to open their books or share the wealth with the rank and file.

“For years, there has been inquiry regarding the financial operations of BLMGN and no acceptable process of either public or internal transparency about the unknown millions of dollars donated to BLMGN, which has certainly increased during this time of pandemic and rebellion,” reads the “Statement from the Frontlines of BLM” posted Monday. “To the best of our knowledge, most chapters have received little to no financial support from BLMGN since the launch in 2013,” the statement reads.

In addition to the D.C. chapter, the missive was signed by affiliates in Chicago, Denver, Indianapolis, New Jersey, New York’s Hudson Valley, Oklahoma City, Philadelphia, San Diego, and Vancouver, Washington. The chapter in Louisville, Kentucky, said it supported the chapters.

“Black Lives Matter Louisville stands in full solidarity w/ all the chapters that sent out the brave statement for full transparency,” the Louisville group tweeted. “We will be sending out solidarity statements & regional statements soon....”

Despite that, “our chapters have consistently raised concerns about financial transparency, decision making, and accountability,” reads the statement, which faults the national organization for enacting major changes without consultation such as the recent formation of BLM Grassroots.

In October, the foundation rolled out the Black Lives Matter PAC, which reportedly plans to raise $500,000 for Georgia’s Democratic U.S. Senate candidates, leading to complaints that the radical social justice movement is rapidly morphing into an arm of the Democratic Party.

Before the protests, the foundation listed about $3.4 million in assets, according to a 2019 financial audit by Thousand Currents, which served as the group’s fiscal sponsor from 2016 until July, when the philanthropic giant the Tides Center took over. “This puts Black Lives Global Network Foundation squarely in the middle of a massive political network, with total revenues that exceeded $636 million in 2018 alone,” Capital Research Center researcher Hayden Ludwig said in a July 28 post. Less than a month after the George Floyd protests erupted over his May 25 death, the foundation had collected 1.1 million donations averaging $33 each, or $36.3 million, according to figures provided June 18 to The Associated Press.

Scott Walter, president of the conservative watchdog group Capital Research Center, said the “fiscal sponsorship” relationship works to the advantage of nonprofit groups seeking to camouflage their financial picture.

“My first thought is the old saying: Every great cause begins as a movement, becomes a business, and ends as a racket....”

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/12/10/black-lives-matter-organization-biden-444097

“There's been intentional erasure,” of local activists, said Sheri Dickerson, lead organizer with Black Lives Matter Oklahoma City. “People assume that that money is distributed to local chapters. That is not the case. People also assume that when actions are made, that national [leadership] has the support and agreement from this collective that what they're saying is representative of us. And that's certainly not the case.

With Cullors at its helm, Black Lives Matter this year positioned itself as a new leader in activism and politics at the forefront of the national reckoning on race. After forming the PAC, which helped fund its ad campaigns to mobilize Black voters, it formalized its third arm, Black Lives Matter Grassroots, to focus entirely on activism.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/10-black-lives-matter-chapters-163000055.html

The statement claims that “no acceptable internal process of accountability has ever been produced by BLMGN,” and listed six specific complaints:

1) Patrisse Cullors, as the sole board member of BLMGN, became Executive Director against the will of most chapters and without their knowledge.

2) The newly announced formation, BLM Grassroots, does not have the support of and was created without consultation with the vast majority of chapters.

3) The formation of BLM Grassroots effectively separated the majority of chapters from BLMGN without their consent and interrupted the active process of accountability that was being established by those chapters.

4) In our experience, chapter organizers have been consistently prevented from establishing financial transparency, collective decision making, or collaboration on political analysis and vision within BLMGN

5)For years there has been inquiry regarding the financial operations of BLMGN and no acceptable process of either public or internal transparency about the unknown millions of dollars donated to BLMGN, which has certainly increased during this time of pandemic and rebellion.

6) To the best of our knowledge, most chapters have received little to no financial support from BLMGN since the launch in 2013.....

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/10/09/black-lives-matter-pac-428403

The Black Lives Matter PAC will formally roll out its programs as early as next week.

By MAYA KING 10/09/2020 07:00 PM EDT

"...The Black Lives Matter PAC will formally roll out its programs as early as Monday, according to Patrisse Cullors, co-founder of Black Lives Matter. The committee plans to endorse a slate of candidates ahead of the general election, paying special attention to mayoral, county sheriff and district attorney races....

The PAC’s formation is the latest in a wave of political efforts from social justice organizations ahead of the November election. In late September the Movement for Black Lives, a coalition of more than 50 organizing groups nationwide, launched The Frontline initiative to turn out the vote among young people of color. Black Lives Matter has also spearheaded four separate projects aiming to encourage young Black voters to head to the polls, including a multi-million-dollar outreach campaign and anti-disinformation initiative.

Cullors said that Black Lives Matter’s political action committee gives the movement an opportunity to hold elected officials accountable on their turf. The group will continue to push for policy change, Cullors said, and now, with the PAC, the organization can wield greater influence from the inside. She said Stacey Abrams' 2018 Georgia gubernatorial loss is one example of why movement work is an important component of electoral politics. The goal of the PAC is to put more candidates who align with Black Lives Matter's goals in office."

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/New-details-video-released-in-deadly-La-Marque-15819200.php

New details, video released in deadly La Marque police shooting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uk4AAahRpdA

Nicole Hensley Dec. 21, 2020 Updated: Dec. 22, 2020 9:22 a.m.

A woman’s mournful screams and shouting from irate neighbors filled five minutes of body-worn camera footage from when a La Marque police officer killed a 22-year-old Black man, a shooting that his family has said was not justified. Authorities on Monday released footage from a portion of the deadly Dec. 9 encounter between Officer Jose Santos and Joshua Feast, who was wanted on multiple felony warrants and who police said had been named a person of interest in recent shootings. Within minutes of the shooting, neighbors gathered and confronted the officer as Feast lay dying on his cousin’s driveway. While police also released more details about the encounter, the video still left some questions unanswered. The video does not appear to clearly show when Santos opened fire and whether Feast brandished a weapon at the officer. The first 30 seconds of the video lacks audio, so the initial interaction between the two is not heard and neither is the gunshot.

https://patch.com/texas/houston/texas-police-release-video-cop-fatally-shooting-black-man

An attorney for the family of 22-year-old Joshua Feast says Feast was defenseless when shot by an officer during an evening encounter.

Associated Press, News Partner Posted Mon, Dec 21, 2020 at 3:26 pm CT

LA MARQUE, TX — Police in a Houston suburb released body camera footage Monday of an officer fatally shooting a Black man in the back, though key moments of the nighttime encounter were missing or obscured. The footage released by the La Marque Police Department does not include audio for the first 30 seconds, including the moment that Officer Jose Santos shot 22-year-old Joshua Feast. It shows Feast running from Santos, who has his weapon extended, and shows Feast lying on the ground, wounded, while Santos yells "Show me your hands" three times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS7f94iPVJE

The video doesn't show a muzzle flash from Santos' gun, but an independent autopsy released last week by an attorney for Feast's family, Ben Crump, found that Feast died from a gunshot wound to the back.

"This footage portrays one thing: A defenseless man was shot in the back when he had not disobeyed a single lawful command and posed no threat to the officer," Crump said in a statement Monday.

Police said in a news release that officers' body cameras buffer for the first 30 seconds after they're turned on, causing the missing audio. The footage does not show Feast holding a gun, though Santos can be heard after the shooting saying over police radio that Feast had dropped one on the ground. Police said they found two guns at the scene, not including Santos' service weapon....

A young black man is shot in the back in Houston only a few days ago. When are the 100 nights of protesting going to start? When will his name be put on NBA jerseys and NFL helmets? When will woke Hollywood actors cry on Tik Tok about the injustice of it all? Oh wait, that's right, BLM and Antifa don't care anymore because the election is over.

The actual Houston black community, the people who have to live there, still care, but just not the mass woke protesters, rioters, looters and lefty MSM television crews.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/black-lives-matter-calls-for-monthly-stimulus-checks-says-black-families-are-struggling-through-pandemic

"Black Lives Matter calls for 'monthly' stimulus checks for families crushed by pandemic

By Vandana Rambaran | Fox News December 31

Black Lives Matter said Thursday the $600 stimulus payment included in the government's most recent coronavirus relief package is far too little to support struggling families and is demanding monthly checks instead.  "Black families are struggling to keep roofs over their heads, food in their bellies, and healthcare covered. This isn't about a stimulus. This is about survival. And $600 ain't it. We demand monthly checks," the group said in a post on Twitter. 

BLM did not respond to Fox News' query as to whether it has approached the incoming Biden administration about monthly checks."

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020/12/31/over-4100-people-shot-in-mayor-lightfoots-chicago-in-2020/

"Over 4,100 people were shot in Mayor Lori Lightfoot’s (D) Chicago January 1, 2020, through December 27, 2020.

The Chicago Tribune reports the exact figure at 4,115 shooting victims, a total that represents fatal and non-fatal shootings combined.

The Tribune isolates homicides in a separate body of data, noting there were 768 homicides in Chicago January 1, 2020, through December 27, 2020.  This is up considerably over 2019, a year in which the Chicago Police Department noted 491 homicides in the city."

https://www.intellectualtakeout.org/blog/chicago-75-murdered-are-black-71-murderers-are-black/

"What stands out the most looking at both charts and knowing that 90% of the victims are male is that a lot of young, Black men are being killed in Chicago. No race comes even close to overall deaths by homicide. 83.4% of deaths were from shootings, 6.7% stabbings, and 6.5% assaults. Of the 362 firearm homicides, 351 (97%) were from handguns. 77% of all homicide victims had a prior arrest history. Victims were 90% male. Black men are being killed in Chicago. No race comes even close to overall deaths by homicide.  87% of all offenders had a prior arrest history. Offenders were 88% male. The data on offenders also tells a troubling story: Young, Black males are overwhelmingly committing most of the murders. Based on the data on the victims, that means young, Black males are primarily killing other young, Black males."

https://nypost.com/2020/07/11/the-fallacy-of-white-privilege-and-how-its-corroding-society/

"According to median household income statistics from the US Census Bureau, several minority groups substantially out-earn whites. These groups include Pakistani Americans, Lebanese Americans, South African Americans, Filipino Americans, Sri Lankan Americans and Iranian Americans (in addition to several others). Indians...are the highest-earning ethnic group the census keeps track of, with almost double the household median income of whites. In Canada, several minority groups also significantly out-earn whites, including South Asian Canadians, Arab Canadians and Japanese Canadians.

Interestingly, several black immigrant groups such as Nigerians, Barbadians, Ghanaians and Trinidadians & Tobagonians have a median household income well above the American average. Ghanian Americans, to take one example, earn more than several specific white groups such as Dutch Americans, French Americans, Polish Americans, British Americans and Russian Americans. Do Ghanaians have some kind of sub-Saharan African privilege?

Nigerian Americans, meanwhile, are one of the most educated groups in America, as one Rice University survey indicates. Though they make up less than 1 percent of the black population in America, nearly 25 percent of the black student body at Harvard Business School in 2013 consisted of Nigerians. In post-bachelor education, 61 percent of Nigerian Americans over the age of 25 hold a graduate degree compared to only 32 percent for the US-born population."

https://www.dailywire.com/news/san-francisco-offers-5000-to-small-businesses-women-owned-immigrant-owned-people-of-color-owned-prioritized

"San Francisco Offers $5,000 To Small Businesses; ‘Women-Owned, Immigrant-Owned, People-Of-Color Owned’ Prioritized

By  Hank Berrien Dec 30, 2020   DailyWire.com

In San Francisco, $5,000 grants are being given by the city to small businesses suffering from the coronavirus pandemic, but there’s more to the story than that: the money is being used to meet the city’s “equity goals,” which means that among those businesses that are prioritized are “minority-owned businesses including women-owned, immigrant-owned, people of color-owned businesses,” and those in certain “cultural districts.

In December, San Francisco Mayor London Breed announced new measures to help small businesses, among which was a Shared Spaces equity grant for those with a Shared Space permit. In a press release on December 7, Breed stated:

Locally owned businesses that either hold or have applied for a Shared Spaces permit are eligible to receive up to $5,000 in reimbursement from the City, which will help businesses that have been forced to close outdoor operations as a result of the recent Stay at Home Order and prepare for an eventual reopening. Up to $1 million in funding comes from the Shared Spaces Equity Grants Program, which prioritizes minority-owned businesses and businesses that advance the City’s equity goals. … "

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yick_Wo_v._Hopkins

"Issue before the Court

The state argued that the ordinance was strictly one out of concern for safety, as laundries of the day often needed very hot stoves to boil water for laundry, and indeed laundry fires were not unknown and often resulted in the destruction of adjoining buildings as well. The petitioner pointed out that prior to the new ordinance, the inspection and approval of laundries in wooden buildings had been left up to fire wardens. Yick Wo's laundry had never failed an inspection for fire safety. Moreover, the application of the prior law focused only on laundries in crowded areas of the city, while the new law was being enforced on isolated wooden buildings as well. The law also ignored other wooden buildings where fires were common—even cooking stoves posed the same risk as those used for laundries.

Opinion of the Court

The Court, in a unanimous opinion written by Justice Matthews, found that the administration of the statute in question was discriminatory and that there was therefore no need to even consider whether the ordinance itself was lawful. Even though the Chinese laundry owners were usually not American citizens, the court ruled they were still entitled to equal protection under the Fourteenth Amendment. Justice Matthews also noted that the court had previously ruled that it was acceptable to hold administrators of the law liable when they abused their authority. He denounced the law as an attempt to exclude Chinese from the laundry trade in San Francisco, and the court struck down the law, ordering dismissal of all charges against other laundry owners who had been jailed.[1]

Legacy

Yick Wo had little application shortly after the decision. In fact, it was not long after that the Court developed the "separate but equal" doctrine in Plessy v. Ferguson,[5] in practice allowing discriminatory treatment of African Americans. Yick Wo was never applied at the time to Jim Crow laws which, although also racially neutral, were in practice discriminatory against blacks. However, by the 1950s, the Warren Court used the principle established in Yick Wo to strike down several attempts by states and municipalities in the Deep South to limit the political rights of blacks. Yick Wo has been cited in well over 150 Supreme Court cases since it was decided.

Yick Wo is cited in Hirabayashi v. United States[6] to recognize that: "Distinctions between citizens solely based because of their ancestry are by their very nature odious to a free people whose institutions are founded upon the doctrine of equality. For that reason, legislative classification or discrimination based on race alone has often been held to be a denial of equal protection."

Do Shared Space Equity Grants in SF violate the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment?

https://www.dailywire.com/news/san-francisco-offers-5000-to-small-businesses-women-owned-immigrant-owned-people-of-color-owned-prioritized

"San Francisco Offers $5,000 To Small Businesses; ‘Women-Owned, Immigrant-Owned, People-Of-Color Owned’ Prioritized

By  Hank Berrien Dec 30, 2020   DailyWire.com

In San Francisco, $5,000 grants are being given by the city to small businesses suffering from the coronavirus pandemic, but there’s more to the story than that: the money is being used to meet the city’s “equity goals,” which means that among those businesses that are prioritized are “minority-owned businesses including women-owned, immigrant-owned, people of color-owned businesses,” and those in certain “cultural districts.

In December, San Francisco Mayor London Breed announced new measures to help small businesses, among which was a Shared Spaces equity grant for those with a Shared Space permit. In a press release on December 7, Breed stated:

Locally owned businesses that either hold or have applied for a Shared Spaces permit are eligible to receive up to $5,000 in reimbursement from the City, which will help businesses that have been forced to close outdoor operations as a result of the recent Stay at Home Order and prepare for an eventual reopening. Up to $1 million in funding comes from the Shared Spaces Equity Grants Program, which prioritizes minority-owned businesses and businesses that advance the City’s equity goals. … "

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yick_Wo_v._Hopkins

"Issue before the Court

The state argued that the ordinance was strictly one out of concern for safety, as laundries of the day often needed very hot stoves to boil water for laundry, and indeed laundry fires were not unknown and often resulted in the destruction of adjoining buildings as well. The petitioner pointed out that prior to the new ordinance, the inspection and approval of laundries in wooden buildings had been left up to fire wardens. Yick Wo's laundry had never failed an inspection for fire safety. Moreover, the application of the prior law focused only on laundries in crowded areas of the city, while the new law was being enforced on isolated wooden buildings as well. The law also ignored other wooden buildings where fires were common—even cooking stoves posed the same risk as those used for laundries.

Opinion of the Court

The Court, in a unanimous opinion written by Justice Matthews, found that the administration of the statute in question was discriminatory and that there was therefore no need to even consider whether the ordinance itself was lawful. Even though the Chinese laundry owners were usually not American citizens, the court ruled they were still entitled to equal protection under the Fourteenth Amendment. Justice Matthews also noted that the court had previously ruled that it was acceptable to hold administrators of the law liable when they abused their authority. He denounced the law as an attempt to exclude Chinese from the laundry trade in San Francisco, and the court struck down the law, ordering dismissal of all charges against other laundry owners who had been jailed.[1]

Legacy

Yick Wo had little application shortly after the decision. In fact, it was not long after that the Court developed the "separate but equal" doctrine in Plessy v. Ferguson,[5] in practice allowing discriminatory treatment of African Americans. Yick Wo was never applied at the time to Jim Crow laws which, although also racially neutral, were in practice discriminatory against blacks. However, by the 1950s, the Warren Court used the principle established in Yick Wo to strike down several attempts by states and municipalities in the Deep South to limit the political rights of blacks. Yick Wo has been cited in well over 150 Supreme Court cases since it was decided.

Yick Wo is cited in Hirabayashi v. United States[6] to recognize that: "Distinctions between citizens solely based because of their ancestry are by their very nature odious to a free people whose institutions are founded upon the doctrine of equality. For that reason, legislative classification or discrimination based on race alone has often been held to be a denial of equal protection."

Do Shared Space Equity Grants in SF violate the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment?
Seems like this is straight up discrimination.  Since when is the answer to ending discrimination implementing even MORE discrimination?  I don't think most people understand what "equality" actually means.

I see a court case in the near future.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/portland-police-officers-fleeing-in-unprecedented-numbers-a-win-for-defund-the-police-movement

Portland Police: Officers Fleeing In ‘Unprecedented’ Numbers, A ‘Win’ For ‘Defund The Police’ Movement

By  Tim Pearce Dec 24, 2020   DailyWire.com

The flight of law enforcement from the city is “unprecedented,” Assistant Chief Michael Frome told the Portland Tribune. “We really have not seen this many people leaving at this stage in their career.”
Who wants to deal with this nonsense night after night....

Who wants to deal with this nonsense night after night....
Only a few months late...

Mayor Wheeler held a press conference on Friday in which he promised to have a tougher response to violence and vandalism in the future. The conference was held after people clashed with police and vandalized property in downtown Portland over two days starting on New Year's Eve. He specifically called out members of "antifa" and "anarchists" during his press conference.

https://twitter.com/i/events/1345409442859241477

Only a few months late...

Mayor Wheeler held a press conference on Friday in which he promised to have a tougher response to violence and vandalism in the future. The conference was held after people clashed with police and vandalized property in downtown Portland over two days starting on New Year's Eve. He specifically called out members of "antifa" and "anarchists" during his press conference.

https://twitter.com/i/events/1345409442859241477
They've needed a "shoot to maim" policy for some time.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020/12/31/over-4100-people-shot-in-mayor-lightfoots-chicago-in-2020/

"Over 4,100 people were shot in Mayor Lori Lightfoot’s (D) Chicago January 1, 2020, through December 27, 2020.

The Chicago Tribune reports the exact figure at 4,115 shooting victims, a total that represents fatal and non-fatal shootings combined.

The Tribune isolates homicides in a separate body of data, noting there were 768 homicides in Chicago January 1, 2020, through December 27, 2020.  This is up considerably over 2019, a year in which the Chicago Police Department noted 491 homicides in the city."

https://www.intellectualtakeout.org/blog/chicago-75-murdered-are-black-71-murderers-are-black/

"What stands out the most looking at both charts and knowing that 90% of the victims are male is that a lot of young, Black men are being killed in Chicago. No race comes even close to overall deaths by homicide. 83.4% of deaths were from shootings, 6.7% stabbings, and 6.5% assaults. Of the 362 firearm homicides, 351 (97%) were from handguns. 77% of all homicide victims had a prior arrest history. Victims were 90% male. Black men are being killed in Chicago. No race comes even close to overall deaths by homicide.  87% of all offenders had a prior arrest history. Offenders were 88% male. The data on offenders also tells a troubling story: Young, Black males are overwhelmingly committing most of the murders. Based on the data on the victims, that means young, Black males are primarily killing other young, Black males."
I'd commented on this quite a while ago, but to restate: Go back a few decades, and Chicago streets were dominated by a few primary gangs.  They did the sort of crime that gangs do ...but those gangs had their turfs (west side; south side) and the conflicts between them were rather limited.  Over time, authorities were able to crack down, arrest the leadership, and effectively break up those gangs.  Chicago (with its western edge 1 1/2 miles from my house) is now dealing with the aftermath.  The problem is that the city now has a myriad of micro-gangs ...small groups, each with their own small turf of several blocks (generally).  Add social media on top of that.  It creates a lot of friction points, which results in a great deal of gang-on-gang violence.  Unfortunately, they all have guns, they can't aim for ####, and they really don't care who they hit.  So the bullets fly, and a lot of innocents are injured and killed along with a few bad guys.  Even our expressways are not totally safe, as the number of x-way shootings has increased dramatically. 

Strong schooling is probably part of the long-term solution, but the Chicago Teachers Union is a force to be reckoned with, and it's easy to make the argument that the kids are not the priority for the union.

And then there's the Chicago Police Force, where the head of the Police Union came out in defense of the DC rioters.  

:loco:  

District attorney decides Kenosha police officers will not face charges in Jacob Blake shooting
Yep.  It was the right decision.  Dude was armed with a knife, for starters.

Full story here: https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/2021/01/05/jacob-blake-shooting-kenosha-police-officer-rusten-sheskey-not-charged-michael-graveley/4135736001/
I apologize for this inflammatory comment, you are welcome to ignore if you wish.

How many DC rioters were armed with knifes?  How many of them were shot by Police?

I apologize for this inflammatory comment, you are welcome to ignore if you wish.

How many DC rioters were armed with knifes?  How many of them were shot by Police?
One?  Possibly unarmed... How many games were cancelled?

9 year old handcuffed and pepper sprayed

I'd be willing to wager that this doesn't happen if she was white.
And she was suspended and an investigation is occurring.  There are some bad police officers.  There are dozens of bad cases where police act terribly every year.  But in the city of Chicago alone, there were 4115 people shot, 768 homicides.  90 percent of the victims were black.  But there is only media attention given to when a police officer does something bad.  Is the crisis in the black community a few acts by police officers, or the thousands upon thousands of black on black shootings? Police do act terrible towards poor white people too.  This extreme magnifying glass that these police incidents get are masking the real issues inside the inner city and unfairly creating this anti-police sentiment, which only serves to spiral the problem as all these real black criminals can now play the race card every time the police come to the scene which escalates the situation even worse. 

[...]

But there is only media attention given to when a police officer does something bad.  Is the crisis in the black community a few acts by police officers, or the thousands upon thousands of black on black shootings?  

[...]
I have never seen anyone who talks about black on black shooting mention a similar crisis in the white community, that most whites are killed by other white people:

Data from the FBI and the U.S. Department of Justice show on the contrary that more than 80% of white murder victims are killed by whites.
https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-factcheck-data-racial-murder/fact-check-false-data-on-u-s-racial-murder-rates-idUSKCN24I2A9

Shouldn't people be concerned about all this white on white crime?

I have never seen anyone who talks about black on black shooting talk mention a similar crisis in the white community, that most whites are killed by other white people:

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-factcheck-data-racial-murder/fact-check-false-data-on-u-s-racial-murder-rates-idUSKCN24I2A9

Shouldn't people be concerned about all this white on white crime?
Your argument is nonsensical.  Your link is some fact-checking article about some phony data on facebook about black on white murders.  I have not made any such false claim nor am I out in the street burning down cities for such cause.  The rate of whites being murdered regardless of race is not crisis.  Inner city murders, shooting, and crime are a crisis and the fundamental cause has nothing to do with police.

Your argument is nonsensical.  Your link is some fact-checking article about some phony data on facebook about black on white murders.  I have not made any such false claim nor am I out in the street burning down cities for such cause.  The rate of whites being murdered regardless of race is not crisis.  Inner city murders, shooting, and crime are a crisis and the fundamental cause has nothing to do with police.
Nor am I and didn't say you were either...talk about a straw man...

But 80% of white murdered by other whites is arguably just as much of a crisis as blacks shooting black people. Conceptually I can not see a difference. 

But 80% of white murdered by other whites is arguably just as much of a crisis as blacks shooting black people. Conceptually I can not see a difference. 
I agree this is a crisis. It is related to the continuing opiod epidemic and issues of domestic violence. Violent crime in large cities is actually going down, while it is at the same rate in rural and smaller cities. There are issues here with American culture that affect "white America" (as well as all groups) that we do need to put energy into.

You know what the difference is, you just don't want to admit it.  There are 197 million whites and there were 2854 white on white murders in 2016,  That is a rate of 1.4 per 10,000.  There are 41 million blacks and there were 2570 black on black murders in 2016.  That is a rate of 6.3 per 10,000.  That is a 450 percent higher rate.  This is a basic statistical trick of race-baiting is to ignore rates when it suits their purpose.

You know what the difference is, you just don't want to admit it.  There are 197 million whites and there were 2854 white on white murders in 2016,  That is a rate of 1.4 per 10,000.  There are 41 million blacks and there were 2570 black on black murders in 2016.  That is a rate of 6.3 per 10,000.  That is a 450 percent higher rate.  This is a basic statistical trick of race-baiting is to ignore rates when it suits their purpose.
Great post.  Yeah, I think in this white-guilt rush to feel good about oneself we're starting to ignore facts and data.

Users who are viewing this thread