What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Black lives matter (3 Viewers)

It is real.  :shrug:

Between Big Tech, Social media, Obama using the IRS against Conservatives, etc... you would have to not be paying attention the last decade to see it.  There are literally millions of lefties that support it. 
Big Tech and Social Media are not suppressing free speech.  In fact, they have no obligation to do so as not being government entitites.

Obama using the IRS has been shown to be false...read the IG report rather than continuing to post false information..  You have been called out on this multiple times...yet you keep doing it.  I am not just calling it false...the facts shown below are.

From wiki... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IRS_targeting_controversy

In January 2014, James Comey, who at the time was the FBI director, told Fox News that its investigation had found no evidence so far warranting the filing of federal criminal charges in connection with the controversy, as it had not found any evidence of "enemy hunting", and that the investigation continued. On October 23, 2015, the Justice Department declared that no criminal charges would be filed. On September 8, 2017, the Trump Justice Department declined to reopen the criminal investigation into Lois Lerner, a central figure in the controversy.[1]

In late September 2017, an exhaustive report by the Treasury Department's Inspector General found that from 2004 to 2013, the IRS used both conservative and liberal keywords to choose targets for further scrutiny
The full 2017 report

https://www.treasury.gov/tigta/auditreports/2017reports/201710054fr.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Plano, Texas.  Portland, OR.  Some good "protests" going on this weekend.  Lots of guns and at least one innocent person put in the hospital.  But yeah, just peaceful "protests." 

Plano, Texas.  Portland, OR.  Some good "protests" going on this weekend.  Lots of guns and at least one innocent person put in the hospital.  But yeah, just peaceful "protests." 
The right simply can't do sustained insurrections like the left can.  :shrug:

I understand the first paragraph and wouldn't argue against our history and the negative impacts it had on black people.  I'm also not saying the boot straps quote fixes everything.  I just contend our system provides the best opportunity for those who start out with less to become successful and provide their children with more.  No, everyone isn't going to succeed, but it's hardly an impossibility either.  There is no magic wand to make everyone equal in opportunity.  The government can't regulate families to be equivalent for instance.  

I'm not really sure I understand what you're getting at in the second paragraph.  I'm all for equality in the way people are treated.  I haven't seen anyone advocate for something different here, but I could have missed it.  What proposal are you backing that establishes new roadblocks?  
It might not solve everything, but statistically, it puts you in a pretty good place. No race card required. 

Brooking Institute.

If you graduate from high school, get a full time job and put off getting married and having children to age 21: only 2% remain in poverty and 75% join the middle class. 

Not sure myself, but what is the graduation rate for that demographic?  I am guessing that statistically is a big hurdle for the above posts.  Also curious about the access to employment as well.  I assume we are talking mostly inner city here.  

Not sure myself, but what is the graduation rate for that demographic?  I am guessing that statistically is a big hurdle for the above posts.  Also curious about the access to employment as well.  I assume we are talking mostly inner city here.  
The article's demographic is all high school teens. That's the point, no race card required. 

It might not solve everything, but statistically, it puts you in a pretty good place. No race card required. 

Brooking Institute.

If you graduate from high school, get a full time job and put off getting married and having children to age 21: only 2% remain in poverty and 75% join the middle class. 
It is a huge problem.  The dropout rate for Michigan students is around 8% and that is including Detroit.  The dropout rate for Detroit students alone is 26% and some think that number is low. The HS pregnancy rate in Detroit is 3 times higher than the rest of the state. In 2018 1600 Detroit HS students gave birth to a child while in school.  Many times these children having children quit school and stay mired into bad situations. The fathers are too young to realize the responsibilty of child raising as most are 16-18 themselves and the cycle repeats.

This has been adressed many times but the numbers are not dropping and the poverty continues. Not sure what the answer is.

I’m sure it’s poor. That is why it’s important to have both parents take an active role in their upbringing.

I’m sure it’s poor. That is why it’s important to have both parents take an active role in their upbringing.
Right, don't be like your mom who got involved with the wrong crowd, got pregnant and dropped out of school.  I think the article provides some encouraging statistics to say that you have a choice to break the cycle and you have a really good chance to achieve the American dream if you do.  That ought to taught Day 1 in mandatory Economics 101.

I agree, and that's why people bring up the longer sentences, incarceration rates, bigger impact of the war on drug in the inner cities, etc.    It's a big revolving problem with several things to address.  

I agree, and that's why people bring up the longer sentences, incarceration rates, bigger impact of the war on drug in the inner cities, etc.    It's a big revolving problem with several things to address.  
Three actually.  Graduate from school, get a full time job when you graduate and don't get married and have kids until age 21.  Doing those three things takes care of the rest.  The numbers prove that.  

That doesn't mean we stop advocating for any of the other things on your list.  It means we focus on those three things first.  And it means we stop using "big revolving problem" as some sort of excuse.

Three actually.  Graduate from school, get a full time job when you graduate and don't get married and have kids until age 21.  Doing those three things takes care of the rest.  The numbers prove that.  

That doesn't mean we stop advocating for any of the other things on your list.  It means we focus on those three things first.  And it means we stop using "big revolving problem" as some sort of excuse.
I agree with this, there are incredibly big things, big things, and smaller things.  To lump them all together is misguided.  To actually focus more effort on the smaller things is malpractice.

I agree with this, there are incredibly big things, big things, and smaller things.  To lump them all together is misguided.  To actually focus more effort on the smaller things is malpractice.
“Of the American adults who followed these three rules, only 2% wound up in poverty and nearly 75% made it to the middle class ($55,000+), according to Brookings.”

Rhode Island State Senator defends family membership in all-white beach club

"U.S. Senator Sheldon Whitehouse continues to defend his family's membership in the all-white private Bailey’s Beach Club in Newport.

GoLocal interviewed Whitehouse on Friday in Pawtucket and when asked if the private club had admitted any minorities since GoLocal first raised the issue in 2017, Whitehouse said, “I think the people who are running the place are still working on that and I’m sorry it hasn't happened yet. 

Both Whitehouse and his wife Sandra as well as their families have been members of the club for decades. Whitehouse did transfer his shares in the club to his wife years ago, and she is now one of the largest shareholders in the all-white club. The club's membership is a who's who Newport, Palm Beach, and New York wealth.

“It's a long tradition in Rhode Island and there are many of them and I think we just need to work our way through the issues, thank you,” said Whitehouse as he was ushered away by a staffer.

The interview took place on the eve of the new national holiday Juneteenth National Independence Day.

The Whitehouse family continues to be members of Bailey’s Beach Club, also known by its legal name Spouting Rock Beach Association, and according to members GoLocal has spoken with, Sandra Whitehouse is at the facilities most summer days.

The Senator has spoken out about the injustice of systematic racism in America......"

"U.S. Senator Sheldon Whitehouse continues to defend his family's membership in the all-white private Bailey’s Beach Club in Newport.

GoLocal interviewed Whitehouse on Friday in Pawtucket and when asked if the private club had admitted any minorities since GoLocal first raised the issue in 2017, Whitehouse said, “I think the people who are running the place are still working on that and I’m sorry it hasn't happened yet. 

Both Whitehouse and his wife Sandra as well as their families have been members of the club for decades. Whitehouse did transfer his shares in the club to his wife years ago, and she is now one of the largest shareholders in the all-white club. The club's membership is a who's who Newport, Palm Beach, and New York wealth.

“It's a long tradition in Rhode Island and there are many of them and I think we just need to work our way through the issues, thank you,” said Whitehouse as he was ushered away by a staffer.

The interview took place on the eve of the new national holiday Juneteenth National Independence Day.

The Whitehouse family continues to be members of Bailey’s Beach Club, also known by its legal name Spouting Rock Beach Association, and according to members GoLocal has spoken with, Sandra Whitehouse is at the facilities most summer days.

The Senator has spoken out about the injustice of systematic racism in America......"
He is the democrat so noone in the media cares and this will not be reported, they'll say its just a distraction from the REAL racists.

Just think if any Republican senator was a member of an all-whte club AND DEFENDED IT. It would be all out chaos, Don Lemon would be having a seizure on TV.

Horrible and more proof that all Americans aren't playing by the same rules. 

Terrible. And hypocritical.  We have one of these in the town i grew up in.  Wouldn’t let black folks in so my parents just built their own.  🤷🏽‍♂️

Pretty much any religious movement is going to have hucksters and charlatans chasing along. 

Evangelical Christianity includes a very large number of true believers who are sincerely trying their best to live according to their beliefs.  But evangelical Christianity also includes an assortment of televangelists who cynically rip these people off, as well as some political figures who cynically use the movement as a way to squirm into positions of power.  

Likewise, Wokeism has a bunch of true believers who are completely sincere about their bat#### crazy worldview.  They get ripped off by folks like Robin DiAngelo and Saira Rao, and opportunists like Whitehouse see them as a gullible source of votes.  

If you think of this as a really sad flavor of religious awakening, all sorts of things click into place.

He is the democrat so noone in the media cares and this will not be reported, they'll say its just a distraction from the REAL racists.

Just think if any Republican senator was a member of an all-whte club AND DEFENDED IT. It would be all out chaos, Don Lemon would be having a seizure on TV.
Hmm...I would like to see the Republican Senators list all the clubs where they'e a member and let us know the percentage of minorities that are members. 

That said, Whitehouse should go ahead and resign from this dumb club.

Shocked that someone named Whitehouse would do this.  Similarly shocked that a place like this exists in Newport.

As I've said previously, Racism never left the Democrat Party.  It just went underground and pops out from time to time.

Yes. I don't care what his voting record is.  What a despicable piece of garbage to belong to a whites only organization. 
Does anyone know, is it whites only...like in the by-laws and minority applicants have been rejected or membership has only consisted of white families?

A lot of folks probably don't care, but it would seem an important distinction.

Does anyone know, is it whites only...like in the by-laws and minority applicants have been rejected or membership has only consisted of white families?

I just know what I read in the post. Anyhow, I would imagine theres a *wink* *wink* rule and nothing actually written because white only organizations know that's its shameful. 

Not reported?…google showing it reported all over the place.  WashPo, Yahoo, Politico, Fox, Newsweek all come up in the first few options.

And yeah…this is awful by him.  No excuse for it.

Not reported?…google showing it reported all over the place.  WashPo, Yahoo, Politico, Fox, Newsweek all come up in the first few options.

Whenever someone states this on the right it's because some right wing talking head framed it that way.  "You'll never guess what (insert D here) did and the fake liberal lamestream media won't even report it!" 

Whenever someone states this on the right it's because some right wing talking head framed it that way.  "You'll never guess what (insert D here) did and the fake liberal lamestream media won't even report it!" 
Uhm...no.  I don't think you guys understand how all of that works.  If this was a republican, it would be front page and headline news 24/7 for the next month.

As of right now, this is still back page news without so much as a yawn.  In the future, you can dispense with the pretending not to know how it works.  We all know you do.

I think there is a lot of overreaction here... this is more a class thing than a racial one.  A cabana would cost you $50,000 to purchase... if one was available.  It is an "elite" area and an elite club...  I'm sure many blue collar whites have been disappointed over the years.

I couldn't care less... let me know when someone of color actually want to join and is turned away.

Uhm...no.  I don't think you guys understand how all of that works.  If this was a republican, it would be front page and headline news 24/7 for the next month.

As of right now, this is still back page news without so much as a yawn.  In the future, you can dispense with the pretending not to know how it works.  We all know you do.
Have Republican Senators made public all the clubs where they'e a member of and let us know what is the percentage of minorities that are members?

Until we have that information, perhaps maybe you shouldn't be throwing stones at Whitehouse (who, as I said before, should quit that stupid club). 

Yes he has got some explaining to do and no excuse for it. That being said I am not dumb enough to think the Democrat party is a racist party. Btw when I google Whitehouse the first sites that come up are NBC, Politico and the Washington Post. It’s being reported on the left leaning news media.

Yes he has got some explaining to do and no excuse for it. That being said I am not dumb enough to think the Democrat party is a racist party. Btw when I google Whitehouse the first sites that come up are NBC, Politico and the Washington Post. It’s being reported on the left leaning news media.
Sure it is..

There’s no excusing it. Unfortunately a whole lot of rich white people belong to exclusive country clubs. Even the ones that are not “all white” are around 95% white, in my experience. If you’re wealthy enough to join, you’re probably white. 

Growing up, my grandfather belonged to the Brentwood Country Club in Los Angeles, and I went there a lot, It was one of two Jewish country clubs in LA (the other was Hillcrest) established because the Christians didn’t allow them in other clubs like Bel Air or Jonathan. The Christians didn’t allow Jews, the Jews didn’t allow blacks (though as I recall all the waiters and busboys were older black men). Now all that’s changed- Bel Air allows a token number of Jews and blacks, Brentwood allows a token number of Christians and blacks, and all the old black waiters have been replaced by Latinos and Filipinos. The whole thing is a bunch of crap. But I am proudly a star bellied sneetch…

Which part is unfortunate and why is it unfortunate.

White people?

Rich people?

Exclusive Country Clubs?

I can’t afford a country club…is that a problem?
The unfortunate part is that the vast majority of wealthy people in this country are white. I believe this is at least partly because of historical and institutional barriers to most people of color into the upper rungs of American society. I wish everyone had an equal opportunity to to succeed. 

The unfortunate part is that the vast majority of wealthy people in this country are white. I believe this is at least partly because of historical and institutional barriers to most people of color into the upper rungs of American society. I wish everyone had an equal opportunity to to succeed. 
OK, I probably would have said that I wished more black people had the means to join exclusive country clubs...but understand your intent.

This is likely what it is.  They will do things like say you need a reference, then noone there will refer you or make you apply and then reject for no reason. 
OH, okay.  You guys are acting as if you know this to be true.  Did you hear this from an "anonymous" source?

This is how lies get spread.

76% of Americans are white.  Guess what % of millionaires in the us are white?  

Yup. 76%

I dont view that stat as unfortunate.   I view your post however as more white guilt

OH, okay.  You guys are acting as if you know this to be true.  Did you hear this from an "anonymous" source?

This is how lies get spread.
Every reputable newspaper, news network and news source occasionally uses anonymous sources. It has been an accepted part of journalism for decades.

Quite often that is the only way to get someone with knowledge of the situation to comment on it as an anonymous soure (particularly in the government).

People who are willing to go on the record with unflattering information, don't keep their jobs very long.

Stats are interesting and hard to parse out.   

HERE is an article that states 1 in 7 white families are worth $1M+, while 1 in 50 black families are.  

HERE in an article that states only 1.1% of billionaires are black.  

HERE is an article talking about the disparity in wealth.  

In the 2019 survey, White families have the highest level of both median and mean family wealth: $188,200 and $983,400, respectively (Figure 1). Black and Hispanic families have considerably less wealth than White families. Black families' median and mean wealth is less than 15 percent that of White families, at $24,100 and $142,500, respectively. Hispanic families' median and mean wealth is $36,100 and $165,500,

76% of Americans are white.  Guess what % of millionaires in the us are white?  

Yup. 76%

I dont view that stat as unfortunate.   I view your post however as more white guilt
Couple problems with your numbers there: first off, only 8% of millionaires are black. (Blacks make up around 15% of the population.)  Only 8% of millionaires are Asian. The remaining 8% are Latinos and other races. 

Second, as we all know, being a millionaire today is not what it was 20 years ago. If we go up to a net worth of 3 million, or 5, or 10, the percentage of whites go up exponentially. 

But where it really gets disturbing is when we look in the other direction, at poverty and the lower economic rungs of society- that’s where blacks have percentages that are way beyond their population numbers. 

As to tour last point- I don’t feel guilty about any of this. I had nothing to do with it. What I feel, as an American, is an obligation to try and make it better. 

Couple problems with your numbers there: first off, only 8% of millionaires are black. (Blacks make up around 15% of the population.)  Only 8% of millionaires are Asian. The remaining 8% are Latinos and other races. 

Second, as we all know, being a millionaire today is not what it was 20 years ago. If we go up to a net worth of 3 million, or 5, or 10, the percentage of whites go up exponentially. 

But where it really gets disturbing is when we look in the other direction, at poverty and the lower economic rungs of society- that’s where blacks have percentages that are way beyond their population numbers. 

As to tour last point- I don’t feel guilty about any of this. I had nothing to do with it. What I feel, as an American, is an obligation to try and make it better. 
Uhm, yeah, we have.  Since the 60's.

Don't be a progressiphobe.

Users who are viewing this thread