What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Eli Rogers - Slot Receiver - Pittsburgh Steelers from Louisville Cardinals (1 Viewer)

pghrob

Hail to the Chief
http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2016/08/05/On-the-Steelers-Lilttle-known-Eli-Rogers-gives-Steelers-different-look-at-the-slot-receiver-position/stories/201608050096

On the Steelers: Lilttle-known Eli Rogers gives Steelers different look at the slot-receiver position

August 5, 2016 12:00 AM
By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

One year ago today, the Steelers waived an injured, little-known, undrafted rookie wide receiver, and few paid attention.

One year later, all kinds of people take notice of Eli Rogers, including his offensive coordinator and starting quarterback.

“We’ll see when we get to the games,” Todd Haley said, “but everything we’ve seen to this point, we haven’t had a slot guy like him since I’ve been here. It hasn’t been close.”

Ben Roethlisberger expressed similar sentiments.

Haley even compared Rogers to Wayne Chrebet, who caught 580 passes and 41 touchdowns over 11 seasons playing in the slot for the New York Jets. Chrebet also went undrafted from Hofstra and was the same size as Rogers, 5 feet 10, 187 pounds.

“Wayne Chrebet was probably more like this guy — quick, he’ll separate, catch the ball, make you miss,” Haley said.

Rogers not only has made a fast impression, but he had the advantage of developing as a slot receiver in college at Louisville. Haley was looking at another Cardinals player in 2015 when he noticed Rogers and how perfect he was for the slot, a “prototype,” he called him.

Most top receivers who enter the NFL played on the outside in college. They must worry about just beating the man covering them, even if it’s a double-team. The slot or inside receivers have to be aware of everything because they get it from the right, the left, down the middle and must adjust to it all.

“He’s unique,” Haley said. “Most of the college guys we get are outside receivers in college, and then you’re trying to convert them. Well, he played inside a bunch, so he’s got a very good feel already. He’s ahead of the game and he’s lightning quick.”

Haley has used Rogers in the slot often in practices with the first team when they use three wide receivers. If he continues to develop as they believe he can, it would allow Markus Wheaton, the Steelers’ slot man last season, to play more on the outside where he is better suited.

"I told Markus in the offseason I didn’t want to pigeon-hole him because he might be our second-best outside guy,” Haley said. “We know what he does inside, it’s very good and we can win with him but we may need him outside.”

They also have Sammie Coates on the outside to go with Wheaton and Antonio Brown, and veteran Darrius Heyward-Bey caught 21 passes and started four games last season. Even without the suspended Martavis Bryant, the Steelers have a deep and talented group.

All along, the Steelers had Rogers in mind. Although healthy for only the first few weeks of his first pro training camp last summer, he made an impression. When no one claimed him off waivers, the Steelers brought him back and put him on injured reserve for the entire season. Dr. James Bradley performed surgery on his foot, inserting a screw.

Rogers then made the most of his time during the season, even if he was not permitted to practice.

“I studied everything, I studied defenses, studied players, broke down players and defenses,” Rogers said of his routine, examining that week’s opponent. “Coach Todd challenged me every week. He challenged me to really get better from the neck up.”

He already has the attributes of a good slot receiver, which he provided:

“Being able to read coverage, certain nuances to give defenders, knowing the angles, knowing the right holes and where to sit in defenses. And great route running. I believe that’s what makes up a good slot receiver. Blocking, too. I like blocking.”

Added Haley, “He has to be fearless.”

It’s much simpler playing on the outside.

“On the outside,” Rogers noted, “you just have to win.”

One reason he picked the Steelers after he went undrafted last year is Brown. Rogers said he grew up in the same Miami neighborhood a few blocks away from Brown, who is five years older.

“I feel he’s the best receiver in the league,” Rogers said.

When it comes to slot players, the Steelers have had a few good over the years, including Hines Ward and Antwaan Randle-El. They think Rogers has the talent to fit right in.

Oh, and one more thing: Rogers has a bead on replacing Antonio Brown as their punt returner.

Maybe a fluff piece but Rogers sounds like someone to watch during preseason (assuming Laundry Jones can get him the ball).

I am not so sure it is a fluff piece. Those quotes and what the Steelers did to hold onto him reflect an organizational view that they can envision him making key contributions from the slot, whereby that frees Wheaton up to compete with Coates on the outside.  When Ladarius Green and Le'Veon comes back, Roethlisberger is going to have a crazy arsenal of pass catchers.

Rogers might be something in 1-2 years.  This year, he won't make a difference.  Coates is set to win the job across from AB and put Wheaton in the slot.  Rogers will probably be the punt returner.  Next year, assuming Wheaton leaves in FA, Rogers can be the slot guy while Bryant and Coates rotate across from AB.

joe d: what do you think is the better 3 WR set: brown, wheaton and coates or brown wheaton and rogers in the slot?

Ed Bouchette: That is the question of the moment. It might depend on circumstances, field position, etc. I do know they really like all four of them.

Ibid

Steelers second-year WR Eli Rogers caught 4-of-4 targets for 39 yards in Thursday's second preseason game against the Eagles.
With Antonio Brown and Markus Wheaton inactive, Rogers ran with the "first-team" offense guided by backup QB Landry Jones. Jones tossed four interceptions, but Rogers made the most of his targets. The 5'10/187 slot man has drawn rave reviews from OC Todd Haley, and Ben Roethlisberger reportedly "loves" Rogers. If Sammie Coates continues to struggle this preseason, Rogers could slide right into some three-wide snaps between Brown and Wheaton.

Aug 18 - 10:05 PM

I still don't think he passes Coates and Hey-Bey-Bey. He's the #5 right now, and probably the punt returner (hopefully not Brown).

If he runs first team in the third preseason game, I'll believe the hype. Could replace Wheaton next year though.

I think he will be very useful in the slot and it wouldn't shock me at all if he finished the season with a ton(third on the team) of catches.

Was going to take him late in my dynasty rookie/FA draft, but I guess I waited too long.  I opted for Pryor over him at my last pick and the very next guy took him. 

Given the struggles of Ladarius Green to get healthy, I could see Pittsburgh using more 3WR sets, which is probably close to the base offense anyway.  If that's the case, Wheaton and Coates aren't exactly setting the world on fire right now.  If Rogers locks down that slot role... could be a lot of opportunity in a high powered offense.

I don't think it will be Bay.  He is what he will ever be. He has a role but I think the battle to watch is Coates and Rogers
While I agree, Coates and rogers seem to be very different players.  Rogers fits the slot better, but if coates improves he could go outside and push Wheaton inside.  I think the Steelers want rogers inside, brown and Wheaton outside.  Add in green and bell/DW and that's a potentially lethal offense.  If they can keep brown from being triple teamed, Ben can have a career year.  Without injury, Ben might just break the td record. 

Eta: DHB is a non factor imo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette's Ed Bouchette expects Eli Rogers to open the season as the Steelers' No. 3 receiver.
Bouchette calls Sammie Coates and Darrius Heyward-Bey "backups" behind Rogers, Markus Wheaton, and Antonio Brown. It's possible Bouchette's mind could change after Pittsburgh's third preseason game, where Ben Roethlisberger will see his first action this August. At this moment, however, Rogers is in the driver's seat to start in the slot in Week 1, with Wheaton moving outside.

Source: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

What's a reasonable projection for him ROS, assuming him and AB stay healthy?
Hard to say because there are variables that will take a while to materialize in the offense as a whole, such as the health of all the WRs, the question of whether Coates will improve, the effect that Bell will have on the offense, etc. 

When Wheaton returns, Coates only plays on 4 wr sets with either no TE or no RB. Rogers is set in the slot as 3rd WR and should be in most formations with one TE and 1 RB. I saw him line up on left wide a couple of times against the Redskins.

I like what I saw Vs the Skins, Ben seems to have built a nice rapport/trust with Rogers. He could really produce in this offense.

I like what I saw Vs the Skins, Ben seems to have built a nice rapport/trust with Rogers. He could really produce in this offense.
Also take note that Rogers is getting mentored or working alongside the best wr in football with AB84.  They are same exact size and both from Florida (don't think for a second that doesn't factor into Brown taking Eli under his wing) and both play wr with Ben Roethlisberger.   

Also take note that Rogers is getting mentored or working alongside the best wr in football with AB84.  They are same exact size and both from Florida (don't think for a second that doesn't factor into Brown taking Eli under his wing) and both play wr with Ben Roethlisberger.   
Does this mean that the other Steelers WRS haven't tried to learn anything from Brown?  What is the track record of WRs becoming more productive as the result of a better WR taking them under their wing?

Does this mean that the other Steelers WRS haven't tried to learn anything from Brown?  What is the track record of WRs becoming more productive as the result of a better WR taking them under their wing?
Bruh...it's not just that. They're both from Florida.

Not sure. You have a point.  I'm just musing on their compatibility because I am a crazy Steelers fan.  Let's try and think of instances where an accomplished league leading wr was joined by a younger up and Comer?  What ya got?  Maybe Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne?   I'm probably just blowing smoke and bloviating with my post about Rogers benefitting by working alongside Brown.

There is a lot that goes into being a WR in the NFL. Part of what makes AB special is his dedication and route running. Seeing that and having available is beneficial. Brown as mentor would be a big plus for a WR that chooses to use AB as a resource. What sets him apart from a lot of the elite teir guys (as a mentor) is that a he probably has more skill than talent. This isn't to undermine his talent but he's not Julio or Calvin. 

Having a guy like Brown isn't the whole story though. If it was we'd be having discussions on where Brown and Bryant are in the great receiving tandems. The idea that Rogers could become an NFL WR2 with the guidance of Antonio Brown isn't crazy though.

Not sure. You have a point.  I'm just musing on their compatibility because I am a crazy Steelers fan.  Let's try and think of instances where an accomplished league leading wr was joined by a younger up and Comer?  What ya got?  Maybe Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne?   I'm probably just blowing smoke and bloviating with my post about Rogers benefitting by working alongside Brown.
Cris Carter and Randy Moss...and we all have watched enough NFL network to know that CC absolutely took Randy under his wing.

Can't say for sure if AB is that type of guy or not. He might not be. WR's by design are kinda diva-ish. He might be loan-wolfing it.

However, it seems to me as a Jet's fan , looking in at the Pittsburgh organization that Antonio WOULD mentor Eli. Everything about Pittsburgh is annoyingly awesome. Seriously, a QB throws a 9 pattern on 4th and 1 for a TD? On an audible? And the coach is super pumped about it? I would love for that stuff to happen here with the Jets. But that's not how it works...Rooney Family creates an atmosphere for continued success.

Carter and Moss us a great example of what I was getting at. Thanks for sharing that!

High trust organizations can perform the way the Steelers do and that generally leads to winning results.

I understand. I'm a crazy Steelers fan too and I hope Rogers performs well for the sake of the team. I'm just not sure how valuable Rogers will be FF wise on a consistent basis. The thing is, people need to scoop him up ASAP while they can if they have expendable roster space.

I understand. I'm a crazy Steelers fan too and I hope Rogers performs well for the sake of the team. I'm just not sure how valuable Rogers will be FF wise on a consistent basis. The thing is, people need to scoop him up ASAP while they can if they have expendable roster space.
If you're unsure if he'll be valuable why should he be scooped up ASAP?

Wheaton is expected to be back this week.   That will most likely affect Coates than Rogers but just putting it out there as FYI.

"Reliable" seems to be the key term here, and it's what the Steelers have been lacking in a #2 for a long time now. If that's how Ben sees Rogers, then he could easily be a nice flex play in PPR rest of the way, no matter who else is on the field. The TD last week can be considered a fluke, but it also showed great awareness and "play to the whistle" type of motor. Check out his college highlight reel at 1:53 for an eerily similar "fluke". https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xkDdgFv5XNI

Even if you don't count his TD, he still had a nice game and saw a good amount of targets. At worst, he's a nice bye week fill-in. At best, solid WR3 in PPR.

Godsbrother said:
Wheaton is expected to be back this week.   That will most likely affect Coates than Rogers but just putting it out there as FYI.
This is my take as well.  All along I sort of think that Rogers will be the second most targeted wide receiver on the Steelers. I do see him in the range of catching anywhere from 70 to 80 catches this year. I know that might strike people as a bit high, but I really see Ben Roethlisberger's passing game progressing towards making shorter quick reads and a slot receiver with Rogers ability to work the middle of the field is right in that area of quick-hit passes that keepshe Ben from getting hit.

Haley even compared Rogers to Wayne Chrebet, who caught 580 passes and 41 touchdowns over 11 seasons playing in the slot for the New York Jets. Chrebet also went undrafted from Hofstra and was the same size as Rogers, 5 feet 10, 187 pounds.

“Wayne Chrebet was probably more like this guy — quick, he’ll separate, catch the ball, make you miss,” Haley said.
Interesting comp.

This is my take as well.  All along I sort of think that Rogers will be the second most targeted wide receiver on the Steelers. I do see him in the range of catching anywhere from 70 to 80 catches this year. I know that might strike people as a bit high, but I really see Ben Roethlisberger's passing game progressing towards making shorter quick reads and a slot receiver with Rogers ability to work the middle of the field is right in that area of quick-hit passes that keeps Ben from getting hit.

Wasn't Wheaton the slot guy last year and Bryant on the outside? But this year it's Rogers in the slot and Wheaton on the outside?

Just trying to get the roles straight.

Wasn't Wheaton the slot guy last year and Bryant on the outside? But this year it's Rogers in the slot and Wheaton on the outside?

Correct.  Wheaton wasn't great in the slot. Not his natural position in the offense.  He will be on the outside and Rogers has locked up the slot position.  

When you have a head coach, the OC, the QB, and the star WR on a team talking up a young player and saying he needs to be more involved, you need to pay attn.  

i have some good Wrs and I own Eli in a standard league so he's on my bench this week.  But he's a very solid flex play in ppr this week and moving forward IMO.  

Im taking a wait and see approach to see if he should supplant michael Floyd or Djax in my lineup.  I doubt it.  Would be a great phlegm to have though!

Thanks I was trying to think of the past (like 2013-15) slot and outside receivers for Pitt. Sanders had oodles of talent too but he never really had big seasons there.

I think 2013 after Wallace left, Sanders took his place on the outside, Brown stayed in the slot, and sort of a mix in the other outside role.

2014 Sanders left, it was Brown doing the old Wallace role, Bryant was outside and Lance Moore was in the slot. 2015 was the same with Wheaton in the slot.

I think Wheaton on the outside does make more sense, seems more his natural position IMO. I was trying to remember if the Haley Steelers had ever had a player do well in the slot but IIRC Brown had that terrific year in 2013 in the slot.

Correct. FWIW I am starting Eli Rogers at flex in PPR over Kelce and Demaryius Thomas. Line up requirement is qrrwwtfdk. 

Just for FYI if anyone is debating starting him today.... got him in two leagues, both with Mike Wallace, half-PPR. Starting him over Wallace in one of the two. 

CIN is more vulnerable inside the numbers than outside so I think he's a decent play today.

Just for FYI if anyone is debating starting him today.... got him in two leagues, both with Mike Wallace, half-PPR. Starting him over Wallace in one of the two. 

CIN is more vulnerable inside the numbers than outside so I think he's a decent play today.
Plus Wheaton is OUT.  Coates will get more time than usual and Rodgers should only trail Brown in targets.

Users who are viewing this thread