What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

JALEN RICHARD - RB Oakland - Run don't walk !! (2 Viewers)

Lynch coming off the bench and bumping the ref might get him suspended. So he might get his opportunity next week
Yeah they may get an opportunity to be the goal line back for the suspension but after that unless they cut Lynch he will be the goal line back.

I don't want any part of the Raider running game at the moment.  The Oline looks horrible.  With no threat of a passing game, I expect defenses to crowd the LOS and focus on stopping the run.   
Oline has looked horrible up until now - they actually played way more cohesive tonight.

It was an emotional game, and I’ll concede that they weren’t blowing open holes in the same way they did last year. But they were great in pass pro, and it’s not as if Washington or Richard were able to get it going with their own efforts (Washington was closer in that regard).

This is a unit getting it’s mojo back. If they can commit to Lynch staying in the game more, I think it may be the best time to to buy him at his absolute lowest. When everyone is looking to dump him and with a potential game suspension coming up.

I get he’s been frustrating and hasn’t proved his ADP for those that drafted him as an RB2 hoping for RB1 upside.

But I sense this is a team about to go on a run, and Lynch will have a part in that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oline has looked horrible up until now - they actually played way more cohesive tonight.

It was an emotional game, and I’ll concede that they weren’t blowing open holes in the same way they did last year. But they were great in pass pro, and it’s not as if Washington or Richard were able to get it going with their own efforts (Washington was closer in that regard).

This is a unit getting it’s mojo back. If they can commit to Lynch staying in the game more, I think it may be the best time to to buy him at his absolute lowest. When everyone is looking to dump him and with a potential game suspension coming up.

I get he’s been frustrating and hasn’t proved his ADP for those that drafted him as an RB2 hoping for RB1 upside.

But I sense this is a team about to go on a run, and Lynch will have a part in that.
Washington ran with more power in this game than I have seen from him before.

Don't recall if it was you or I think maybe it was Lawfitz talking about that in regards to Washington during training camp/preseason.

I finally saw that from him tonight and it is a bit different than my impression of him as a college player.

I thought Washington looked like the better runner. Richard can do some nice things in space but Washington looks to be the superior between the tackles runner. I had the choice between Richard and Washington in a deeper league last week and went with Richard due to Washington's hamstring injury. I'm not sure it's the correct choice although if Lynch is suspended for any amount of time I'd expect them to split snaps/touches pretty much down the middle regardless.

I mean, Richard played on 32% of the snaps and had 9 carries and 4 targets vs. KC. Washington played on 30% of the snaps and had 9 carries and 4 targets as well. It can't get more even.

I thought Washington looked like the better runner. Richard can do some nice things in space but Washington looks to be the superior between the tackles runner. I had the choice between Richard and Washington in a deeper league last week and went with Richard due to Washington's hamstring injury. I'm not sure it's the correct choice although if Lynch is suspended for any amount of time I'd expect them to split snaps/touches pretty much down the middle regardless.

I mean, Richard played on 32% of the snaps and had 9 carries and 4 targets vs. KC. Washington played on 30% of the snaps and had 9 carries and 4 targets as well. It can't get more even.
I would like to see Richard and Washington get more of the touches and Lynch get less carries.   

This is coming as a Raider fan.  I don't own any of the Raider RBs.  I think the Raider O works better with the dual-threat backs. 

And when you talk to the coaches, tell them NOT to go with designed running plays for Carr while he has a broken back.  TIA.  
That was a check Carr made.  They were on the post-game show and he was asked about the call and he replied "nah, I check to that" and the entire set blew up in laughter.  Carr looked like he's just admitted to going into the closet with his sister or something, it was hilarious.

Assuming Lynch is gone next year, which of Richard Boom Boom U.L. Washington is the better bet for dynasty purposes?

That was a check Carr made.  They were on the post-game show and he was asked about the call and he replied "nah, I check to that" and the entire set blew up in laughter.  Carr looked like he's just admitted to going into the closet with his sister or something, it was hilarious.
I don't find it funny at all.  Terrible decision. 

Assuming Lynch is gone next year, which of Richard Boom Boom U.L. Washington is the better bet for dynasty purposes?
Was he the KC Royal that always batted with the toothpick in his mouth?

BTW: I'm a dynasty owner of both, have been tracking this situation.... and have zero idea how it'll play out. :shrug:

Washington ran with more power in this game than I have seen from him before.

Don't recall if it was you or I think maybe it was Lawfitz talking about that in regards to Washington during training camp/preseason.

I finally saw that from him tonight and it is a bit different than my impression of him as a college player.
My 'scouting' of these two hasn't changed. Very similar in terms of size/skillset, but DWash runs with more power, while Richard has much more wiggle/shiftiness, better vision and hands. I've thought since preseason that DWash would be Lynch's backup, while Richard would be the COP. Both are similar to Jerick McKinnon. The old McK. Neither is like the new destroyer of men we've seen this year (at least not yet).

That's the problem for fantasy purposes. They will most likely split and Lynch will steal goal line touches.
I think people are living in the past in regards to Lynch. What I saw of Lynch when he was in the game was a lot of dancing while Richard and Washington hit their holes and got downhill.

I think people are living in the past in regards to Lynch. What I saw of Lynch when he was in the game was a lot of dancing while Richard and Washington hit their holes and got downhill.
I'm going by how the Raiders have used their backs this year. He has been and will continue to be the goal line back.

Pretty much agree with @LawFitz

Thus far:

It seems like Wash is stronger on inside runs. 

It seems like Richard has more big play potential and breakaway speed.  

It seems like Richard is more useful in the passing game.

From a fantasy perspective, I don't think it's close. Richard has the ability to match an entire game of carries with one play. He is going to get more targets, history tells us.  

That's a guess, and we don't know what a game would look like with a split between the two of them, so grain of salt and all that.

when your highlight of the season is getting kicked out of the game, I think it's time to take a good look at yourself.

maybe stand on your head for the anthem?  that will show them.

sorry guys-just disappointed.

The same thing is happening to Lynch that happened to Peterson imo. He is a volume back who needs touches. Give him 20 carries a game and things would be way different. Giving him one run and benching him is silly. 

is there any chance richard takes the job next year? i'm having a hard time seeing lynch come back and historically, the raiders haven't reached on many RBs in the draft.

he's been fine, not spectacular on limited touches. it seems the coaching staff keeps his workload light since he's not the biggest RB but i'm curious if a new coaching staff my utilize him differently next year. he hasn't missed a game in 2 seasons, so maybe he could handle a bit more...

is there any chance richard takes the job next year? i'm having a hard time seeing lynch come back and historically, the raiders haven't reached on many RBs in the draft.

he's been fine, not spectacular on limited touches. it seems the coaching staff keeps his workload light since he's not the biggest RB but i'm curious if a new coaching staff my utilize him differently next year. he hasn't missed a game in 2 seasons, so maybe he could handle a bit more...
Too early to know.   Need to see what the Raiders do this offseason.  

Even if Lynch doesn't return and the team doesn't address the position with a highly touted FA or draft pick, it's hard to gauge whether it would be Richard, Washington or some combination of the two. Washington has gotten more playing time this year.

Both Richards and Washington are nearly identically sized (5-8, 205), but seem to have slightly different styles. Richard seems to be shiftier/more explosive, and Washington with more power. And both seem to be adept pass catchers.

In other words, it's all up in the air.

Jalen Richard - RB -  Raiders

Jalen Richard rushed for 24 yards on five carries and hauled in 9-of-11 targets for 55 yards in the Raiders' Week 1 loss to the Rams.

Richard finished second on the team in targets only to Jared Cook (12-9-180). It was admittedly a favorable game script for the third-year pro, who primarily played behind both Marshawn Lynch (11-41-1) and Doug Martin (4-20). He's worth stashing if only for his receiving prowess, but don't expect coach Jon Gruden to lean on him unless need be (despite his talent over the rest of the backfield).

Sep 11 - 2:45 AM

Richard is really talented and should see more playing time over Martin.  It should be Lynch and Richard but the Raiders and Gruden scare me.  I have no idea what Gruden wants to do on O. 

Richard is really talented and should see more playing time over Martin.  It should be Lynch and Richard but the Raiders and Gruden scare me.  I have no idea what Gruden wants to do on O. 
Agree on Richard, but he has his defined role. I am not in Gruden's head, but I think his plan was to create a solid competitive roster this year by bringing in vets with specific roles to fill gaps and add depth, and specifically with RBs, build a solid north/south running game to help open up the playbook as coverage will need to respect the run.

Bringing in a quality pure FB. Martin added to provide depth/security behind Lynch for the year in case of injury or to keep Lynch fresh -- and maybe if he hits, retain Martin for another year as security and keeping Ds honest against the north/south run game. Retain solid COP/pass catchers for the old Garner routes in Richard and Washington. Drafting the future to replace Lynch and Martin in Warren.

Bring in solid "type" receivers -- Cooper as the "elite" talent; Jordy as the solid productive vet that demands coverage on the other side. A great WR3 that can stretch the field and work well out of the slot to open up coverage.

Focus on keep building a nasty, talented offensive wall to protect a franchise QB by drafting Miller to augment Penn, Osemele, and Gabe Jackson, ensuring we have a top tier line into the future as the older vets drop off.

And leveraging Carr as much as he can as an intelligent QB who Gruden can trust with a complicated offense chock-full of plays and at-the-line adjustments, and who can instill a sense of the old Pride and Poise.

To me, it's actually really clear what Gruden is trying to do.

It's not developing the way we would all want it to just yet, though.

Why Jalen Richard has emerged as key player in Raiders’ offense

ALAMEDA — Jalen Richard is enjoying life as a satellite, although the third-year running back laments the one that got away.

Richard caught a career high nine passes for 55 yards for the Raiders in the Week 1 loss to the Los Angeles Rams, although it’s likely the play that gives the Denver Broncos the most concern fell incomplete. 

It happened in the third quarter, with the score tied 13-13. Richard’s vision was obscured by Ndamukong Suh, broke too quickly over the middle and Derek Carr’s pass fell incomplete on third-and-10.

“I raked the dude on the route, I saw the ball late,” Richard said Friday. “With my speed, it could have gone the distance.” 

Gone are the days of worrying only about swing passes and option routes, serving as a pressure-release for Carr when he’s in trouble.

Richard has to know the various responsibilities of the receivers as if he were Amari Cooper or Jordy Nelson and also be in concert with Carr. 

“I’ve got to think like D.C. I have to read coverages like he would read them,” Richard said. “When D.C. drops back, where does he want me? I don’t always have a specific area where I’m supposed to be. There are sit-down areas based on where he is and I need to know what he’s thinking.”

Gruden calls it a “satellite,” a running back who in addition to carrying the ball, has even more of a responsibility in the passing game. In part because of game circumstance, with the Raiders trailing in the second half, Richard wound up playing more than any other back with 37 snaps, followed by 27 for Marshawn Lynch and 10 for Doug Martin. 

“A satellite is where they put me everywhere,” Richard said. “I want to be explosive and do everything, whether it’s catching, pass blocking, everybody knows I can run the ball too. Just showcase my abilities. I think I’ve got a good opportunity with Gruden. He sees it, and I’m excited.” 

Expect Gruden and Carr to look for opportunities to isolate Richard against Denver linebackers. 

“If you want to attack certain coverages, sometimes the best matchup you can find is a back against a linebacker,” Gruden said. “I’ve seen the Patriots do quite well with their backs. He’s emerging in that role, and I think he can be great in that role.”

The key, Gruden said, is to have Richard thinking and reacting as a receiver and not as a running back simply floating into an open space and waiting for a pass if the quarterback is in trouble. 

Gruden also referenced the one that got away. 

“You have to study it, you have to do it in a game,” Gruden said. “It’s not a finished product, yet, but he sure shows glimpses of being great at that. He had one route where he broke inside. It was incomplete. It might have been a 60-yard gain. He’s really getting better and better each day.” 

At 5-foot-8, 205 pounds, Richard saw his rushing yardage dip from 491 to 275 from his rookie year to his second season when control of the offense went from Bill Musgrave to Todd Downing, while his receiving yardage totals went from 194 to 256 despite two fewer receptions (27 to 25). 

The demands under Gruden have been more challenging. Richard has spent time studying other top receiving backs such as the Eagles’ Darren Sproles. 

“I wasn’t asked to do as much as I’m asked to do now,” Richard said. “I’ve always been the option route runner. Musgrave had me running, it, Todd had me running it. Now Gruden has me doing it and a lot more, slot work and other stuff. It’s my third year and I’m continuing to grow, getting smarter in the game.”

I'm still holding Richard in dynasty from the 2016 rookie draft.  He's shown some big play flashes and should be decent in PPR if he gets used.  

He's big enough to be a receiving back that gets some between the tackles work too.  Slightly thicker Dion Lewis in terms of body type. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I picked him up for free in the preseason just based on the Gruden/Chris Thompson connection.  I feel like Richard has a similar skill set to Thompson and the Grudens are brothers, so it made sense in my mind

Is he just a ppr play or is there value there in non ppr ? Sitting there on my wire ...

i can see him putting up a duke johnson type season if they keep leaning on him with the dump offs and he was RB16 in standard last year.

if the last few years have taught us anything, it's that the right guy in the right system can put up very good RB2 numbers even on limited touches.

Gruden uses “satellite” for terminology? And you guys said he was stuck in 1998.
FWIW, 5 satellites and probes were launched by countries around the globe in 1998.

There were 5 total satellites launched between the years 2015-2017.

So maybe the terminology is a little more applicable to old school than today.

FWIW, 5 satellites and probes were launched by countries around the globe in 1998.

There were 5 total satellites launched between the years 2015-2017.

So maybe the terminology is a little more applicable to old school than today.

https://www.google.com/search?q=the+more+you+know+gif&rlz=1C9BKJA_enUS619US621&oq=the+more+you+know&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l3.5998j1j7&hl=en-US&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#imgrc=MBe8MtyGncPMYM:

Users who are viewing this thread