What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bourbon guys (1 Viewer)

top dog

Footballguy
I'm a big fan of bourbon.  In no particular order,  here are my favorites

Elmer T. Lee

E.H. Taylor Small Batch

Angel's Envy

Woodford reserve 

Eagle Rare

Elijah Craig

Basil Haydens

Any other awesome ones I should be hunting down to add to my collection? Save the Pappy suggestions.. impossible to find.

Buffalo Trace
Buffallo Trace Distillery makes some damn good Bourbon.  I love their Elmer T. Lee.  Eagle Rare is one of my favorites.  Their EH Taylor collection is awesome.  They also make Blanton's I belive (currently have a bottle of that).  Never had their "Buffalo Trace" brand.  I almost bought that that other day at the store.  I will have to pick up a bottle.  I'm sure I won't be disappointed with anything they make.

Currently in my bar:

Woodford Reserve

Bulleit(very popular here in the bay area)

Knob Creek

Makers Mark

Buffalo Trace

Will probably add a few from this thread...

Currently in my bar:

Woodford Reserve

Bulleit(very popular here in the bay area)

Knob Creek

Makers Mark

Buffalo Trace

Will probably add a few from this thread...
Woodford reserve should have made my favorites list. Knob Creek and Makers are good. I like to try and find harder to find bourbon.  It's like a game or something in my home bar. I end up drinking them though. No will power.

Elmer T lee is very very good when you can find it. I have a bottle of that on special order (whenever it becomes available again) and EH Taylor Jr single barrel. I've had the EH Taylor Small Batch and it is very smooth.

Woodford reserve should have made my favorites list. Knob Creek and Makers are good. I like to try and find harder to find bourbon.  It's like a game or something in my home bar. I end up drinking them though. No will power.

Elmer T lee is very very good when you can find it. I have a bottle of that on special order (whenever it becomes available again) and EH Taylor Jr single barrel. I've had the EH Taylor Small Batch and it is very smooth.
cool, thanks for the recs...I'll add them and report back.

side topic, where is the best place online to order specialty bourbon?

Last edited by a moderator:
There's already a thread somewhere but I'm too lazy to find it (assuming I could).

Bookers, Buffalo Trace and Angels Envy

Michter's and Michter's toasted barrel are my faves. Though possibly over priced I've been drinking the heck out of the Toasted Barrel. 

cool, thanks for the recs...I'll add them and report back.

side topic, where is the best place online to order specialty bourbon?
Not sure.  I can't find anywhere that will ship to my state.  The local state store by me will put in special orders.  They just don't know if they will ship until their order is filled.  It's kind of a weird process.  They have ordered the EH Taylor Jr. for me 4 weeks in a row.  They can't see if it is available before they try ordering.

Whole lot of "sourced" NDP bourbons being mentioned here. Not that it's the end of the world, but most of those guys (angels envy, whistle pig, bulleit, etc don't make their own whiskey. 

Ive got about 60 diff bottles at the house... Some favorites not yet mentioned here: 

EH Taylor Barrel Proof 

Henry McKenna 10yr Bonded 

Blantons Straight From The Barrel 

Old Weller Antique 107

harder to get, but my favorites are 

william larue Weller 

EH Taylor Seasoned Wood 

Anything from Willett Family Estate 

Was at the store the other day and saw they had Eagle Rare in.. Couldn't pass it up.  I'm starting to think the liquor store folks think I have a problem.  Today we swung by the grocery store and of course the liquor store called my name.  Around here the liquor store is in the local big chain grocery stores...  I took a bit of time debating on whether to grab a bottle of Buffalo Trace or Bulleit Small Batch 95 Rye.  Much to the amusement of the clerk, I took about 10 minutes comparing them and debating internally until I decided to try the Bulleit Rye.  

:thumbup:  on that recommendation!  Very good. I'm fairly new to the whole liquor thing as I was mostely a beer drinker over the years.  I didn't know what the difference between a bourbon and a rye whiskey.  I'm going to keep my eye out for Angel's Envy Rye per Kutta's recommendation and my appreciation for Angel's Envy bourbon.  

Currently on my list of available ones to pick up are

Buffalo Trace

Bookers

Four Roses

Still on the look out for my Elmer T. Lee and EH Taylor Single Barrel....

Scored a bottle of eh taylor single barrel in Tennessee. Anyone have any local (to Tennessee) suggestions to look for while I'm here? Obviously Tennessee whiskey is pretty popular here so I'm open to suggestions in that style as well as bourbons.. 

Scored a 2016 Old Forrester Birthday Bourbon today when a buddy who's a rep texted me to meet him up at XYZ store. $101 retail is up from $90ish last year. Solid taste on first sip but was in a hurry.  Also got a couple 1.75L of Old Weller Antique store picks ($50ea) from Corks Liquors that will make nice daily drinkers. 

Scored a bottle of eh taylor single barrel in Tennessee. Anyone have any local (to Tennessee) suggestions to look for while I'm here? Obviously Tennessee whiskey is pretty popular here so I'm open to suggestions in that style as well as bourbons.. 
EH Taylor is generally good stuff. I personally prefer the small batch if for value more than nothing else, but I may have just not had an exceptional barrel when I tried the SiB. If you're able to find one, their Barrell Proof is phenomenal unfiltered bourbon at ~130proof and around $90. From there you can cut it down to your desired proof with ice or water if you find it too hot as is. 

You're not missing TOO much in the way of TN whiskies IMO. A good bottle to look for up here that may not be available at home is Henry McKenna 10yr Bonded (green and tan label). Should be a solid value at around $30 for 750ml. 

If you must have something from TN, check into the belle meade line (sourced bourbon finished and packaged out of nashville, IIRC). Some of their stuff is solid.

Jack Daniels Rye has been getting great reviews from folks I trust but I haven't tried it myself. 

Just finished up a bottle of High West.   :thumbup:  Pretty good value price-wise too.
Most High West Rye is distilled at MGP in Indiana, I believe. Much like a LOT of other boutique and larger brands alike (templeton, bulliet, willett older than 3 years, Old Scout, Angels Envy etc). High West just tends to charge a fair price for it, which is nice. :thumbup:

Also, for fans of Barrel proof stuff, or Blantons.... try to track down a bottle of Blantons Straight From the Barrel.

By sheer luck, a group of buddies who fly for the guard have found a british BX on a German airbase that stocks it (not sold in the US) for a great price ($75USD, typically - pending exchange rate). We have started buying every case (6 bottles) they can get us. Blatons Gold (higher proof than standard but not barrel proof) is also available, but at the same price it's smarter to just get the Barrel proof stuff and cut it down yourself since it's unfiltered. 

Blantons has always had a very nice flavor profile... but getting it completely unfiltered and uncut (usually 130ish proof range) is fantastic. So tasty. 

TLDR: If you like blantons, try to find a bottle of Blantons Straight From the Barrel. 

Was gifted a bottle of Leopold Maryland-Style Rye. Perhaps a cigar and some Leopold Rye tomorrow night after work.

Anyone partaken in this?

I currently have bottles of Four Roses, Eagle Rare, and Elijah Craig open.  I highly recommend all 3.  I just finished a bottle of Blade and Bow.  It wasn't bad, but it certainly wasn't worth the $65 I paid for the bottle.  I like all three listed above better at half the price.  You could say I have a bourbon problem, my wife certainly does.

I've pretty much come to the conclusion that, if it's got the word "bourbon" on it, and it's not 80-proof, I'll probably like it quite a bit. I don't get into new or expensive bourbons much these days. This is a regulated product. It's not like beer, where the top selling beers lack in flavor and left a void for craft beer to fill. Piss beer (which I do enjoy) has found ways to cut costs so much that it's now a completely different product than craft beer. This is mostly untrue for bourbon. 

The big boys can't cut anymore corners than they already do. Jim Beam white would be 50 proof by now and unaged if that were possible. Though, they've found some loopholes with this flavored "bourbon" crap.  What we're left with is that damn near anything called "bourbon" is really, really good and worth sipping neat no matter what anybody tells you (looking at any fool that thinks Evan Williams Black is a "mixer" only).

Now, I like to try them all, but I still spend most of my money on Wild Turkey 101, Evan Williams Black and White, Old Grand-Dad BIB & 114, Bulleit, George Dickel 12, and Four Roses Small Batch, along with whatever Rye I can get around here that's not 80-proof or $40 a bottle (mostly Bulleit and Dickel). 

Was at the store the other day and saw they had Eagle Rare in.. Couldn't pass it up.  I'm starting to think the liquor store folks think I have a problem.  Today we swung by the grocery store and of course the liquor store called my name.  Around here the liquor store is in the local big chain grocery stores...  I took a bit of time debating on whether to grab a bottle of Buffalo Trace or Bulleit Small Batch 95 Rye.  Much to the amusement of the clerk, I took about 10 minutes comparing them and debating internally until I decided to try the Bulleit Rye.  

:thumbup:  on that recommendation!  Very good. I'm fairly new to the whole liquor thing as I was mostely a beer drinker over the years.  I didn't know what the difference between a bourbon and a rye whiskey.  I'm going to keep my eye out for Angel's Envy Rye per Kutta's recommendation and my appreciation for Angel's Envy bourbon.  

Currently on my list of available ones to pick up are

Buffalo Trace

Bookers

Four Roses

Still on the look out for my Elmer T. Lee and EH Taylor Single Barrel....
Buffalo Trace, Bookers, and Four Roses are some of my favorites. I'm sure you will dig Angel's Envy Rye ?

I've always been a scotch guy but apparently my tastes are changing as I'm not enjoying it as much as before.  Is there a consensus on some good starter bourbons to try?  This is the FFA so it doesn't have to be cheap.

I've always been a scotch guy but apparently my tastes are changing as I'm not enjoying it as much as before.  Is there a consensus on some good starter bourbons to try?  This is the FFA so it doesn't have to be cheap.
Memphis TN

As stated above by some folks, there is a lot of remarkable stuff out there that's easily available at a great price. You could do a LOT worse than grabbing a bottle of

1) blantons (single barrel, high rye mashbill : ~9yr : $50)

2) eagle rare (single barrel, low rye Mashbill : 10yr :  $30)

3) Larceny or Old Weller Antique 107pf (wheated mashbill : ~6-8yr : $22-30) 

For $100-110 you're trying the 3 basic different styles of bourbon. From there you can get a nice idea of where your palate sits. 

Do you already drink your scotch neat, or do you use water/Ice? 

I hate my state liquor laws and the crooked distributors in my state.  I love bourbon, but I can't ever even get Blantons.  The regular one.  So I mostly just buy Bulleit Rye.  

:kicksrock:

My go to bourbons (all of which have already been mentioned)

Elmer T. Lee
Four Roses Small Batch
Eagle Rare
Bookers
Basil Haydens
Bulleit

Will have to try the Angel's Envy

Can anyone help me get my hands on a bottle of 2006 Evan Williams Single Barrel Vintage?  FN PA LCB will not help. 

As stated above by some folks, there is a lot of remarkable stuff out there that's easily available at a great price. You could do a LOT worse than grabbing a bottle of

1) blantons (single barrel, high rye mashbill : ~9yr : $50)

2) eagle rare (single barrel, low rye Mashbill : 10yr :  $30)

3) Larceny or Old Weller Antique 107pf (wheated mashbill : ~6-8yr : $22-30) 

For $100-110 you're trying the 3 basic different styles of bourbon. From there you can get a nice idea of where your palate sits. 

Do you already drink your scotch neat, or do you use water/Ice? 
Unfortunately Eagle Rare is no longer easily available, Publix has stopped getting it, and ABC is getting very limited monthly.

Users who are viewing this thread