Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Bourbon guys


Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, HellToupee said:

Elijah Craig & Eagle Rare ar my favorites and just finished Wild Turkey 101 which I loved . Where to go next? 

Also liked Four Roses small & single barrel 

 

Larceny is really good for its price range. I bought a bottle a couple days ago for $25.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/2/2017 at 6:44 AM, simey said:

Larceny is really good for its price range. I bought a bottle a couple days ago for $25.

Just finished my bottle of this last night....  means I have a spot open for a new bottle - will be heading out before the holidays to find something to try out. Haven't decided what yet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/2/2017 at 11:51 AM, Da Guru said:

I like Four Roses but for some reason the name turns me off.  Roses and bourbon do not seem to mix.

Soaring Eagles, Leather, Army ranks, plain old hillbilly names like Jim Beam, Jack Daniels, Col Taylor are better fits.

It's named after the night the owner of the distillery got engaged. He asked a woman to marry him. She didn't give her answer right away. He asked that if she agrees to marry him to wear 4 roses to some big to do in the town. She showed up with the four roses and the rest is history. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, TheFanatic said:

It's named after the night the owner of the distillery got engaged. He asked a woman to marry him. She didn't give her answer right away. He asked that if she agrees to marry him to wear 4 roses to some big to do in the town. She showed up with the four roses and the rest is history. 

:penalty:

Lame.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/28/2017 at 10:29 AM, [icon] said:

The Weller 12yr is smoother, sweeter, with a bit more oak on it (duh). A smoother sipper at the 90 proof. Some feel it's almost too one dimensional. 
The Old Weller Antique 107 is a bit hotter due to the proof, and has a bit more pronounced flavors. If you can find Store Pick single barrels of this, it's often some of the best whiskey around, and an insane value at $30ish per 750ml. 

I visited my favorite store last night in the hopes that maybe there was some Weller 12 hiding away somewhere. There was not. So for me...still sight unseen. I had a nice conversation with the shop owner and he mentioned that he received 3 bottles of it back in October for the first time ever. He did not put them on display but kept them under the counter for those that asked about it. I asked how much he sold them for and he told me $100 each. Well over twice the state minimum and then some. I was disappointed to the hear this, but I understand the free market system blah blah blah. He then asked me if I wanted to try their store select single barrel Buffalo Trace that they just received. I was surprised by the offer but I was not going to say "no". It was actually pretty good. So for $25 it was not a bad buy. How different is this from the normal Buffalo Trace you can regularly buy off the shelves?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, MrJimiT said:

I visited my favorite store last night in the hopes that maybe there was some Weller 12 hiding away somewhere. There was not. So for me...still sight unseen. I had a nice conversation with the shop owner and he mentioned that he received 3 bottles of it back in October for the first time ever. He did not put them on display but kept them under the counter for those that asked about it. I asked how much he sold them for and he told me $100 each. Well over twice the state minimum and then some. I was disappointed to the hear this, but I understand the free market system blah blah blah. He then asked me if I wanted to try their store select single barrel Buffalo Trace that they just received. I was surprised by the offer but I was not going to say "no". It was actually pretty good. So for $25 it was not a bad buy. How different is this from the normal Buffalo Trace you can regularly buy off the shelves?

Yeah unfortunately many stores are hip to secondary markets and are starting to charge more for big bottles. Sorry you struck out. :(  I'll prob give away some samples of stuff here as we approach the holidays. 

Some stores buy a private barrel of stuff from the distillery. They will go choose that barrel from several options at the distillery (or from samples mailed to the store).  Often Single Barrel selections are indeed superior to the large scale blended batches, yes. They're often called "Store picks" or just "Picks". 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Fat Drunk and Stupid said:

I'd advise against drinking this neat, at least to start.

:goodposting:

FDAS knowsstuff. Unless you've got a seasoned palate, this will light your mouth up. But it's very tasty. Holds up well to a bit of water or a cube. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So Buffalo Trace has some issues with their Eagle Rare stocks right now. Not sure if it's a shortage, some bad barrels, or what... so they are suspending their Eagle Rare Single Barrel Select program for next year (at the least).  This is official and from the mouth of the head of their private barrel program. 

I am unsure if this will impact the amount of normal Eagle Rare that hits the market, or if there will be a shortage of any kind. 

That said.. every year I go pick a barrel of Eagle Rare with some buddies in the TN 155th Airlift Squadron as a fundraiser for the base. The ONLY reason we got into the program was they were military.  We heard about the issues and reached out to Beau at Buffalo Trace expecting to be told "Tough ####" or "how about a barrel of buffalo trace" which we would have accepted begrudgingly to stay in line for getting back to ER next year (hopefully). 

Beau replied: 

"We have to take a 1 year hiatus for ER barrels. We could do a Blanton's barrel for the 155th!  What time of year are you looking to schedule the pick?"

UPGRADED :wub: 

 

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Freak Show said:

A friend gave me a bottle of Laphroaig Islay Single Malt Scotch Whisky aged 10 years. Is it any good?

I'm not a scotch guy, but that's a solid bottle. Just don't expect bourbon and go into it with an open mind. 

15 minutes ago, heckmanm said:

My Costco had Elijah Craig small batch for $24 so I snagged one.

Great value. :thumbup: 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, [icon] said:

I'm not a scotch guy, but that's a solid bottle. Just don't expect bourbon and go into it with an open mind. 

Great value. :thumbup: 

Value check on these? (not 100% sure on these prices; going from memory when I glanced at them)

- Basil Hayden for ~$31

- Baker's 107 for ~$38 (less sure about this one)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, [icon] said:

So Buffalo Trace has some issues with their Eagle Rare stocks right now. Not sure if it's a shortage, some bad barrels, or what... so they are suspending their Eagle Rare Single Barrel Select program for next year (at the least).  This is official and from the mouth of the head of their private barrel program. 

I am unsure if this will impact the amount of normal Eagle Rare that hits the market, or if there will be a shortage of any kind. 

 

Eagle Rare and Buffalo Trace continue to be hard to find around Charlotte.  Was pretty amazed to find the latter being sold so cheaply in Prague of all places.

Edited by Slapdash
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, heckmanm said:

Value check on these? (not 100% sure on these prices; going from memory when I glanced at them)

- Basil Hayden for ~$31

- Baker's 107 for ~$38 (less sure about this one)

 

Both are pretty good prices... they vary based on taxes in the area. IMO I like Knob Creek 100 or 120 over Bakers for a higher proof small batch beam product, but any of the 3 (Bookers being the Barrel proof offering) are solid. 

Basil is a very mild bourbon. VERY smooth but not much depth or personality to it. Just be aware of that going in to it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, [icon] said:

Both are pretty good prices... they vary based on taxes in the area. IMO I like Knob Creek 100 or 120 over Bakers for a higher proof small batch beam product, but any of the 3 (Bookers being the Barrel proof offering) are solid. 

Basil is a very mild bourbon. VERY smooth but not much depth or personality to it. Just be aware of that going in to it. 

Good to know.  I don't drink a lot of bourbon, but recognized the BH name.  

I recognized the Baker's from drinking my nephew's a few weeks back and enjoying it.  I don't keep a lot of booze on hand b/c I don't drink it that often. I like to keep one good bourbon on hand at the house for when I'm in the mood, though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Instinctive said:

Have you ever thought about a quick guidepost on bourbon tasting and finding your own flavor preferences? I'd read that specifically from you.

@[icon]

Whatcha mean here? Are you requesting a "how to "taste" bourbon" guide? Preferences certainly vary dramatically person to person. For example: I don't like this finished whiskey trend (angels envy, Whistle Pig etc) but many folks love them (and for good reason). 

Plus I'm a hobbyist but FAR from an expert at this... I'm sure there are much better guides on tasting than I could provide :)
 

That said I'm happy to offer my perspective, and may even be down to set up a blind tasting where I procure maybe 6-8 bottles, pour 2oz samples, and ship them out to everyone. Folks taste, grade/rank them. Then we post what each was sample was, and the scores from everyone. Could include some harder to find stuff (Weller 12yr for sure), and some sleepers that I think may surprise some folks. 

If I did it, I'd just collect enough to cover the whiskey, bottles and postage. Definitely wouldn't be wanting to profit off it. 

 

Edited by [icon]
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, heckmanm said:

My Costco had Elijah Craig small batch for $24 so I snagged one.

I picked up the Elijah Craig Small Batch 1.75L for $40 at my non-usual Costco.  I may have to go back and buy some more.  I know that they got rid of the Age statement but it is damn tasty. :banned:

I served some friends from my bar and they took a look, and asked for Makers and Bulleit Rye.  I told them to try the EC and they are said it was fantastic. 

Elijah Craig all day.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, [icon] said:

Whatcha mean here? Are you requesting a "how to "taste" bourbon" guide? Preferences certainly vary dramatically person to person. For example: I don't like this finished whiskey trend (angels envy, Whistle Pig etc) but many folks love them (and for good reason). 

Plus I'm a hobbyist but FAR from an expert at this... I'm sure there are much better guides on tasting than I could provide :)
 

That said I'm happy to offer my perspective, and may even be down to set up a blind tasting where I procure maybe 6-8 bottles, pour 2oz samples, and ship them out to everyone. Folks taste, grade/rank them. Then we post what each was sample was, and the scores from everyone. Could include some harder to find stuff (Weller 12yr for sure), and some sleepers that I think may surprise some folks. 

If I did it, I'd just collect enough to cover the whiskey, bottles and postage. Definitely wouldn't be wanting to profit off it. 

 

Hella IN if you do this

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, [icon] said:

Whatcha mean here? Are you requesting a "how to "taste" bourbon" guide? Preferences certainly vary dramatically person to person. For example: I don't like this finished whiskey trend (angels envy, Whistle Pig etc) but many folks love them (and for good reason). 

Plus I'm a hobbyist but FAR from an expert at this... I'm sure there are much better guides on tasting than I could provide :)
 

That said I'm happy to offer my perspective, and may even be down to set up a blind tasting where I procure maybe 6-8 bottles, pour 2oz samples, and ship them out to everyone. Folks taste, grade/rank them. Then we post what each was sample was, and the scores from everyone. Could include some harder to find stuff (Weller 12yr for sure), and some sleepers that I think may surprise some folks. 

If I did it, I'd just collect enough to cover the whiskey, bottles and postage. Definitely wouldn't be wanting to profit off it. 

 

I was thinking just some of your thoughts on tasting, yeah. Not like an article or anything but if you had a few minutes free some time and wanted to post tips on here for it? I kindof like that you are "like us" in that it's a hobby and you just like some things and have done it longer. No different really than when I'd ask for help in the home-owner projects thread because other board members have been doing that and learned lessons to pass on!

 

Tasting sounds super fun. I'd participate in that. No pressure - sounds like a decent chunk of work too for you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/29/2017 at 1:25 PM, [icon] said:

Killed the tail end of a bottle of Blantons "Straight From the Barrel" last night... had almost forgotten how damn good that whiskey is. Had a pour of 2016 William Larue Weller afterward and, while phenomenal, didn't completely outshine the SFTB.

I still think Blantons SFTB is the best "value" in premium bourbon today.... $70 retail (Europe & Japan) but pretty easy to find at $120-140 in secondary market. Less if you order several bottles at a time from Masters of Malt

Headed to Amsterdam for business next week.  You think I could find this at the AMS duty free shop?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, regularguy said:

Headed to Amsterdam for business next week.  You think I could find this at the AMS duty free shop?

If not there then likely at liquor stores around town. It's awesome, and ABSOLUTELY worth seeking out. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, [icon] said:

"We have to take a 1 year hiatus for ER barrels. We could do a Blanton's barrel for the 155th!  What time of year are you looking to schedule the pick?"

UPGRADED :wub: 

 

I enjoy BOTH ER & Blanton's...but I think this years pick will be slightly superior. Nice!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 3:04 PM, [icon] said:

So Buffalo Trace has some issues with their Eagle Rare stocks right now. Not sure if it's a shortage, some bad barrels, or what... so they are suspending their Eagle Rare Single Barrel Select program for next year (at the least).  This is official and from the mouth of the head of their private barrel program. 

I am unsure if this will impact the amount of normal Eagle Rare that hits the market, or if there will be a shortage of any kind. 

That said.. every year I go pick a barrel of Eagle Rare with some buddies in the TN 155th Airlift Squadron as a fundraiser for the base. The ONLY reason we got into the program was they were military.  We heard about the issues and reached out to Beau at Buffalo Trace expecting to be told "Tough ####" or "how about a barrel of buffalo trace" which we would have accepted begrudgingly to stay in line for getting back to ER next year (hopefully). 

Beau replied: 

"We have to take a 1 year hiatus for ER barrels. We could do a Blanton's barrel for the 155th!  What time of year are you looking to schedule the pick?"

UPGRADED :wub: 

 

How does one "contribute" to this here fundraiser :yes:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Megla said:

How does one "contribute" to this here fundraiser :yes:

:lol: Unfortunately the base has hundreds of folks on it who are all clamoring for bottles. We generally limit the folks on the picking party to 5 bottles and normal folks on the base to 1or 2 bottles (depending on how much they are liked). Everyone on the picking party (7 of us) are always trying to find ways to buy MORE bottles, but demand is too high :( 

HOPING the increased price of Blantons ($55-60 vs 30-35) and the increased yield of the 7-8yr old Blantons (240-250 bottles) over the 10-11yr old Eagle Rare (200-230 bottles) will leave more bottles for us. We shall find out around April/May of next year. :fingerscrossed: 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, [icon] said:

:lol: Unfortunately the base has hundreds of folks on it who are all clamoring for bottles. We generally limit the folks on the picking party to 5 bottles and normal folks on the base to 1or 2 bottles (depending on how much they are liked). Everyone on the picking party (7 of us) are always trying to find ways to buy MORE bottles, but demand is too high :( 

HOPING the increased price of Blantons ($55-60 vs 30-35) and the increased yield of the 7-8yr old Blantons (240-250 bottles) over the 10-11yr old Eagle Rare (200-230 bottles) will leave more bottles for us. We shall find out around April/May of next year. :fingerscrossed: 

:kicksrock:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, heckmanm said:

Hella IN if you do this

Definitely in for this as well.  Got the following in an email today.

Congratulations!

Your name was picked in our drawing. You have won the chance to purchase a bottle of Goose Island Reserve Bourbon County Stout - Aged in Knob Creek Barrels, $19.99

I like beer but bigger bourbon fan.  What should I do with the below bottle?  May seem dumb but I just recently learned about this.  Thoughts on keeping vs drinking?  I searched ebay and shocked the empty bottles go more than $20.  Crazy.
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, cincredfan said:

Definitely in for this as well.  Got the following in an email today.

Congratulations!

Your name was picked in our drawing. You have won the chance to purchase a bottle of Goose Island Reserve Bourbon County Stout - Aged in Knob Creek Barrels, $19.99

I like beer but bigger bourbon fan.  What should I do with the below bottle?  May seem dumb but I just recently learned about this.  Thoughts on keeping vs drinking?  I searched ebay and shocked the empty bottles go more than $20.  Crazy.
 

I THINK the going rate for that beer is like 70-80 bucks on secondary if that matters to you. That's shipped...etc. so kinda  hassle for $50 but just giving you the heads up. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Okay.... so if we were doing a blind tasting thing... would you guys wanna do: 

• All Bourbon: (EXAMPLES [not specifically]: Weller 12yr, Old Weller Antique 107, 1792 Full Proof, EHTaylor Small Batch, Henry McKenna 10yr Bottled In Bond, Blantons)
 

• All Ryes: (EXAMPLES [not specifically]: Michters Straight Rye, Sazerac Rye, Willett Family Estate 3rd Rye, Pikesville Rye, Rittenhouse Rye, Bulleitt Rye)

• Mix of Bourbon & Rye

If Bourbon.... would you like a specific profile (ie all Wheated Bourbons, all Barrel/High Proof Bourbons, etc), or an array of mashbills?  If there was demand for some more "premium/allocated" stuff we could do that, but obviously would cost more (NOT trying to turn this into a big money thing, which is why I was leaning  toward more basic stuff). 

IF this happened I'd lean toward maybe doing around five 2oz samples for 10 or 12 folks. Would have to buy the bottles, pay shipping, etc. Folks who participate would need to commit to sampling all bottles (even if only half the bottle) within a week and submitting scores. 

Edited by [icon]
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, [icon] said:

Okay.... so if we were doing a blind tasting thing... would you guys wanna do: 

• All Bourbon: (EXAMPLES [not specifically]: Weller 12yr, Old Weller Antique 107, 1792 Full Proof, EHTaylor Small Batch, Henry McKenna 10yr Bottled In Bond, Blantons)
 

• All Ryes: (EXAMPLES [not specifically]: Michters Straight Rye, Sazerac Rye, Willett Family Estate 3rd Rye, Pikesville Rye, Rittenhouse Rye, Bulleitt Rye)

• Mix of Bourbon & Rye

If Bourbon.... would you like a specific profile (ie all Wheated Bourbons, all Barrel/High Proof Bourbons, etc), or an array of mashbills?  If there was demand for some more "premium/allocated" stuff we could do that, but obviously would cost more (NOT trying to turn this into a big money thing, which is why I was leaning  toward more basic stuff). 

IF this happened I'd lean toward maybe doing around five 2oz samples for 10 or 12 folks. Would have to buy the bottles, pay shipping, etc. Folks who participate would need to commit to sampling all bottles (even if only half the bottle) within a week and submitting scores. 

I like both, so i'll vote "mix". 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

BOURBON SAMPLE BLIND TASTING:

Okay so I got a little buzz on last night organizing some bottles and watching MNF and ordered a 72pk of 1oz glass sample bottles... I started thinking through options and I was hesitant to introduce barrel proof stuff into the basic tasting, as that may artificially skew results toward/away from those samples depending on folks preference for higher proof whiskey. Plus I didn't want anyone sipping a smooth 90 proof Weller, then getting caught off guard by a 130 proof sample. 

SO.. I'm looking at doing two separate options: 

STANDARD BOURBON TASTING: Assortment of five 1oz samples of bourbons. Will tentatively include:

1) Weller 12yr (as I know many here want to try but haven't been able to),
2) 2017 Eagle Rare 11yr 6mo Private Barrel Selection for the 155th Airlift Squadron
3)Private Barrel pick of Old Weller Antique 107.
4 & 5) Two others will be determined once I go through my stocks, but likely will have one sample of something old/Rare/discontinued. 

1 Heckmanm
2 Bucky86
3 acarey
4 Freakshow
5 Cinciredfan
6

HIGH PROOF & RYE TASTING: Assortment of four 1oz samples of barrel proof bourbons and ryes. Not for the faint of heart, these will be uncut samples in the 120+ proof range. For this I'm leaning toward:

1) An 11-13yr aged Willett Famly Estate Single Barrel Bourbon (distillery gift shop only, $200-400 retail)
2) Willett Family Estate 8yr Single Barrel Rye
3)  Michter's Barrel Proof Rye (either standard or toasted barrel finished) - these are among my faves. 
4) maybe an older Bookers or a Four Roses Barrel Proof Private Barrel pick.

1 Slapdash
2 The Fanatic

4

DETAILS:
• EDIT: Demand got to where I'm going to limit folks to one or the other for now to try to get as many folks involved as possible. If this goes smoothly..after I inventory stuff I may open it up to more folks if I do another round :thumbup: 
• I'm going to REQUEST folks to PLEASE sample and submit ratings within 1 week of receiving them. Doesn't mean you have to drink it all... I'm just partially doing this to see where scores land, and I'd hate for a slacker to hold up the scores. Anyone dragging their heels will be excluded from any future samplings. 

COST:
I'm looking at about $5 per package for sample bottles & packing materials. Likely about $5 per pack to ship as well. Then there is the cost of the whiskey... I'm certainly not in this to make money, and I'm not going to be charging secondary for this stuff, at the same time, some of these bottles will be $100-300 retail cost. After factoring in $10 for materials/shipping, I'm anticipating pricing to be around $25 for the standard bourbon sample pack, and $40 for the Barrel Proof sample pack. Payment will be PayPal Friends & Family or Venmo. 

Note that if you were to purchase these at a bar, you'd likely end up paying ~$75 for the bourbon samples and around ~$100 (or more) for the Barrel Proof samples... IF the bar even had all this stuff, which very few do. I'll prob end up losing money on this but I like to share stuff that folks may not normally get to try, and am curious to hear you guys' feedback. :banned: 

SURPRISE: For added fun, I will also include a sample of something special randomly with one of the packages... :bowtie:


THE TASTING: 
I'll suggest folks at least submit the samples in order of their favorite. Those who wish to be more detailed can grade them on this scale.  I've kept the number of samples small/manageable to they should be able to be compared against each other in a single sitting. Anyone seeing tips on tasting, I'll be happy to help. 

 I'm hoping to mail these samples out Monday or Tuesday, assuming my sample bottles come in Friday as expected. Let's see how this goes :popcorn: 

Edited by [icon]
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/7/2017 at 5:06 PM, [icon] said:

I THINK the going rate for that beer is like 70-80 bucks on secondary if that matters to you. That's shipped...etc. so kinda  hassle for $50 but just giving you the heads up. 

Appreciate that and would love to be able to share but obviously not an option.

 

I would do bourbon or rye.  I kind of lean toward rye as I always drink bourbon and have 1792 on occasion as well.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
  • Create New...