What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bourbon guys (3 Viewers)

I was in Aiken, SC the last couple days.  I went around some of the local liquor stores to see what I could find.  Ended up picking up a bottle of Henry McKenna 10yr Bottled In Bond and a bottle of Basil Hayden Dark Rye.  They aren't exclusive to that area or anything, but I don't remember ever seeing the Basil Hayden Rye for sure, and I went with the McKenna based off some earlier recommendations in this thread.

As I've looked around various liquor stores every time I get out of my home state it is always interesting to me to see the difference in price and availability for some spirits.  For example, Whistle Pig 10 year was pretty available and about $63 a bottle in the 3 stores I went to around Aiken, SC and Augusta, GA.   Can't find that stuff up North where I am.  Even found a bottle of Whistle Pig 15 yr Straight Rye Whiskey for $219 and a bottle of Whistlepig Old World Cask Finish for 109.99.  I would have bought those, but my wife had already spent every friggin penny of my play money while we were down there.  Angel's Envy Rye was $100 and available all at all 3 places.  Can't find that here either.  On the flip side, Eagle Rare 10 yr was behind the counter in 1 of the stores for $50.  The local grocery store has a bunch of those all the time for $33.  Buffalo Trace?  $50 in Aiken.  One bottle to be found.  Local Giant Eagle has countless bottles of that for about $26.  EH Taylor Rye for $100 was pretty easy to find in the south as well.  EH Taylor Small batch was plentiful.  I find that a couple time a year locally..

Supply and Demand I guess.
SC seems like a decent place for good bourbons.  It's so controlled in NC, I buy most of mine near Columbia, SC

I'm not a scotch guy, but that's a solid bottle. Just don't expect bourbon and go into it with an open mind. 

Great value. :thumbup:  
I tried the scotch tonight. At first sip, I was ready to get rid of it. By the time I finished the shot glass,  I figured I'd keep it. The flavor kind of grows on you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Assuming I don’t buy a couple bottles for this... they will be coming from this: 

My current Bourbon/Whiskey Inventory:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uxsb78asuomwpos/Photo Dec 13%2C 6 46 41 PM.jpg?dl=0
Where did you find Rebel Yell 10 yr single barrel?  That bourbon has some family history on my wife's side Her great grandmother who just died last week always talked about Rebel Yell. That was the first bourbon I ever got my wife to drink, but it was the basic $20 Rebel Yell you can find locally and it was not very good.  Apparently they sold the company many moons ago and it changed or something. 

Where did you find Rebel Yell 10 yr single barrel?  That bourbon has some family history on my wife's side Her great grandmother who just died last week always talked about Rebel Yell. That was the first bourbon I ever got my wife to drink, but it was the basic $20 Rebel Yell you can find locally and it was not very good.  Apparently they sold the company many moons ago and it changed or something. 
Rebel Yell 10 Single Barrel is a rebirth of the line released by Luxco.. presumed to be Heaven Hill wheated bourbon (older version of the 6-7yo Old Fitgerald). It was supposed to be a fairly limited (2000 cases) 1 time release in 2016, however they had another, 2000 case release this year.

I got two bottles from the 2016 batch. Drank one. The other hasn't been popped...yet. It's quite tasty. I'd put it above Larceny and Makers but a small notch below Weller 12 and 107 as far as wheated bourbons go. 

Just got offered in Elmer T Lee but my buddy at his shop while picking up some wine for the girlfriend.

May pop it and work Elmer T Lee into the regular bourbon tasting… Those of you in that tasting, want to try or have had it and want something different?

UPDATED FINAL LIST OF PARTICIPANTS:

STANDARD BOURBON TASTING: Assortment of five 1oz samples of bourbons.
1 Heckmanm
2 Bucky86
3 acarey
4 Freakshow
5 Cinciredfan
6 Top Dog

HIGH PROOF & RYE TASTING: Assortment of four 1oz samples of barrel proof bourbons and ryes. 
1 Slapdash
2 The Fanatic
3 Ron Swanson 
4 Kutta 
5 PurpleHaze67 (added..had accidentally omitted)

BOTTLES: Tracking shows them having arrived in Memphis this morning so I'm cautiously optimistic they will be here tomorrow (fingers crossed). 
PM INCOMING: I'll create a PM Group thread with everyone on it with payment info, link for submitting notes, and whatnot shortly! 

@Slapdash

TRYING To send out the PM but it says you can't receive it... please fix that so we can get this PM sent. Thanks, GB. Everyone else, PLEASE check your PM box and ensure you've got free space for a few messages back and forth about this. Don't be @Slapdash and make this harder on everyone than it has to be :lol:  

Slap, If I don't hear from you in an hour I'll just send to everyone else and leave you out :D  

@Slapdash

TRYING To send out the PM but it says you can't receive it... please fix that so we can get this PM sent. Thanks, GB. Everyone else, PLEASE check your PM box and ensure you've got free space for a few messages back and forth about this. Don't be @Slapdash and make this harder on everyone than it has to be :lol:  

Slap, If I don't hear from you in an hour I'll just send to everyone else and leave you out :D  
I didn't get anything

It looks like you misspelled my name?

:lmao:  

Once the PM thread is gone, we'll keep most chatter in there until results come in, then we'll post everything in here in case others want to see the results :thumbup:  

Just got offered in Elmer T Lee but my buddy at his shop while picking up some wine for the girlfriend.

May pop it and work Elmer T Lee into the regular bourbon tasting… Those of you in that tasting, want to try or have had it and want something different?
:rant:  Seriously... I'm so jealous of wherever the hell you live!  I've been looking for Elmer T. Lee for about a year now.  It is impossible to find around here.  Might be my favorite bourbon.  But then again, it has been over a year since I had it, so I might just be living in the past memories..  

Rebel Yell 10 Single Barrel is a rebirth of the line released by Luxco.. presumed to be Heaven Hill wheated bourbon (older version of the 6-7yo Old Fitgerald). It was supposed to be a fairly limited (2000 cases) 1 time release in 2016, however they had another, 2000 case release this year.

I got two bottles from the 2016 batch. Drank one. The other hasn't been popped...yet. It's quite tasty. I'd put it above Larceny and Makers but a small notch below Weller 12 and 107 as far as wheated bourbons go. 

I bought a bottle of Larceny recently.   I'm not a fan.   It's smooth and not a bad drink but it has too much of a smoky taste for me.  Should have bought another bottle of Buffalo Trace, Bulliet Rye or any of my go-tos.  The old standbys of Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, and Four Roses are tough to beat.  

I bought a bottle of Larceny recently.   I'm not a fan.   It's smooth and not a bad drink but it has too much of a smoky taste for me.  Should have bought another bottle of Buffalo Trace, Bulliet Rye or any of my go-tos.  The old standbys of Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, and Four Roses are tough to beat.  
I enjoy all of those as well - but I also enjoyed Larceny - it's the bottle I finished most recently so have a small space to fill in the small allotted area my wife allows me. If I wasn't about to be driving my son and his friend to a basketball game here in a bit I would be tempted to have a few drinks to try and clear some more space.    :excited:

Had a Christmas party at my old man's house tonight. My brother in law brought a bottle of Wild Turkey 101. Surprisingly smooth. Or maybe it's just  because I've finished off 1/2 the bottle by myself tonight, but either way... i have to vote that it is a solid economy bourbon. 

Had a Christmas party at my old man's house tonight. My brother in law brought a bottle of Wild Turkey 101. Surprisingly smooth. Or maybe it's just  because I've finished off 1/2 the bottle by myself tonight, but either way... i have to vote that it is a solid economy bourbon. 
Had some Turkey yesterday myself, at my brother's. Good stuff. When I drink it this year I sometimes splash in a little cranberry juice and annoy my family with "turkey & cranberry" jokes.

Also, Pikesville Rye is delish.

How big are those little bottles? Looks like a good amount of whiskey! :pickle:
They’re standard 1oz size sample Boston rounds. Nothing crazy, but they should be sufficient to get a good taste. :banned:

FYI the bottles in the photos may or may not be what is in the sample bottles. Order is also randomized at labeling. 

You guys should NOT feel obligated to Taste in order... there is no planning/logic to that side of things 

Soooo.... was out shooting pool Sat night and a buddy stops by that runs a liquor store (They sold me a WLW this year), said they have a Pappy 23yr in the back still, and asked me if I wanted it. Uh... yeah!  Will likely pop it on the counter and share a taste with him. A bottle like that (valued $1800-1900) is tempting to trade off, but I think I'm going to keep this one. 

I felt the exact same way about Larceny.   I was excited to get it when I did, but I just did not enjoy it.  

I prefer Blanton's and Jefferson Reserve, not to be confused with regular Jefferson, which I hate.  Of course I would love some Pappy Van Winkle 23 year old before I die (bucket list).

GENERAL UPDATE: 
SAMPLES HAVE GONE OUT. Should arrive Friday, pending an average performance by the USPS. 

It was a good bit more involved than I expected :lol:  Each bottle was poured, capped, labeled, individually wrapped in bubble wrap, bagged, packed in more bubble wrap, boxed. Box was then sealed up, labeled, addressed etc (standard crap).

USPS lady was not pleased with me dropping 11 boxes going to different addresses at 11:50am on the last reasonable mailing day before Christmas. Lines were.... long. :lmao:  

Once those involved have had a chance to taste everything, and submit their scores, I'll detail what was in the sample jars, and how the voting turned out. :banned:  There are usually a few surprises with these sort of things... I may have thrown a twist or two in there, curious to see how it plays out. 

Had some Old Forester "Bottled in Bond County" last night. It was fantastic. 
Old forrester has been turning out some good stuff lately. I strongly suggest everyone check out their Prohibition 1920 for a very full flavored sipper. 

Got some of the "good stuff" together for a lineup shot on the home bar last night. Debating having this out for NYE but will see as the guest list is finalized... there are a couple fellas who have pulled some faux pas' in the past (including pouring 5oz of WLW over a ton of ice (Fail 1) when already hammered (fail 2), then passing out after one sip leaving it to melt into drainwater (fail 3). :hot: :lol:  

[icon] said:
GENERAL UPDATE: 
SAMPLES HAVE GONE OUT. Should arrive Friday, pending an average performance by the USPS. 

It was a good bit more involved than I expected :lol:  Each bottle was poured, capped, labeled, individually wrapped in bubble wrap, bagged, packed in more bubble wrap, boxed. Box was then sealed up, labeled, addressed etc (standard crap).

USPS lady was not pleased with me dropping 11 boxes going to different addresses at 11:50am on the last reasonable mailing day before Christmas. Lines were.... long. :lmao:  

Once those involved have had a chance to taste everything, and submit their scores, I'll detail what was in the sample jars, and how the voting turned out. :banned:  There are usually a few surprises with these sort of things... I may have thrown a twist or two in there, curious to see how it plays out. 

You're a good egg Icon.   What a classy and generous guy.    I hope Santa is good to you his year.  

Like others, I can't wait to see how the taste test turns out.    Those results should be really helpful when I'm choosing my next bottles.  

Was looking for Blanton's but found an E.H. Taylor small batch today.  They said at the counter it only comes once a year.  I think they had a Stagg as well but there with my daughter and didn't have time to investigate what kind etc it was.  $42 after tax.  Seemed like a bargain.  Stagg was $10 more they thought but I didn't verify that.

Excited to get icon's and try later this week.

Was looking for Blanton's but found an E.H. Taylor small batch today.  They said at the counter it only comes once a year.  I think they had a Stagg as well but there with my daughter and didn't have time to investigate what kind etc it was.  $42 after tax.  Seemed like a bargain.  Stagg was $10 more they thought but I didn't verify that.

Excited to get icon's and try later this week.
That's a good bottle at a fair price.  I prefer the Small Batch over the higher priced Single Barrel. The Stagg was likely Stagg, Jr. and is good as well.

That's a good bottle at a fair price.  I prefer the Small Batch over the higher priced Single Barrel. The Stagg was likely Stagg, Jr. and is good as well.
I was super excited when I found the single barrel as I really like the small batch.  I honestly couldn't taste much of a difference.  Especially not a 2x as much cost difference.  I buy the small batch every time I see it around here (which is usually maybe 2-3 times per year)

Users who are viewing this thread