What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bourbon guys (3 Viewers)

Makers 46 is simply regular makers that goes through a secondary aging process in a barrel fitted with additional toasted oak staves. The result is a bit more rounded off flavor and a bit more vanilla on the palate. I enjoy the makers line when there are limited options (and often when there ARE other options). It’s great when you’re looking for something easy on the tongue. 

Knob really is good “on the shelf” stuff... much more spice to it than makers. I suggest going with the 100 if not 120 proof, personally but nothing wrong with the 90. 
I totally agree. I’m a fan of Makers and the 46, but the Knobs have a little extra kick in the ### that I like - especially the higher proof ones.

Drinking some Bookers neat right now. Talk about a kick in the hind quarters...

I'd recommend Makers Cask Strength (regular Maker's but at cask strength), or if you can find it a Maker's Private Select which is 46 at Cask Strength 9this one does vary a bit due to their custom stave program but all are good).

So glad I started this thread.  So much good info. Especially from icon. My favorite go to was Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare but they are now tough to find. Wellers Antique all of a sudden is showing up regularly. Been drinking more of that than anything else. My brother in law did me a solid this summer with something so I'm putting together a gift of bourbon for him. He really enjoyed the tasting of various bottles in my bar when he was here. Have a bottle of E H Taylor Small Batch, Eagle Rare and Wellers Antique for him so far. 

So glad I started this thread.  So much good info. Especially from icon. My favorite go to was Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare but they are now tough to find. Wellers Antique all of a sudden is showing up regularly. Been drinking more of that than anything else. My brother in law did me a solid this summer with something so I'm putting together a gift of bourbon for him. He really enjoyed the tasting of various bottles in my bar when he was here. Have a bottle of E H Taylor Small Batch, Eagle Rare and Wellers Antique for him so far. 
So strange that people have trouble finding Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare. I could buy 100 bottles of both of those very easily in the Phoenix area.

So strange that people have trouble finding Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare. I could buy 100 bottles of both of those very easily in the Phoenix area.
It was like that here in northeast Ohio until about August. Then they became hard to find. My local stores no longer even have a spot for either one.  The one I frequent the most has received 1 case of each in recent months. 

It is very weird how liquor is allocated to various areas of the country. 

If you like Weller Antique I would suggest stocking up. It is only released periodically these days and it’s unlikely to continue to be readily available. I generally keep about a case on hand since it’s my favorite “daily drinker” (I don’t drink daily, but you get the point :)  )

Just lucked into a case of Antique 107, a William Larue Weller, and a George T Stagg. Also first in line for a Van Winkle Lot B or Pappy 15yr when they hit in the 29th. 

All in a shop I had never spent a dime in before last night. Now I’m the owners favorite customer and #1 on their list. 

It’s truly all about the game these days :lol:  

This year’s WLW is in at 125.7pf. It’s fantastic as always. Curious to try it against side by side my 15/16/17’s
What did the Larue run you?

Is Makers 46 one of the preferred < $40 options, generally speaking?  Bought one for bourbon drinkers tomorrow and have enjoyed a few bottles myself this year.  I do like it quite a bit.  I've tried a few others that don't compare (Bulleit for example), but I'm thinking I'm not comparing apples to apples because 46 is a step up from standard Makers and the others I've tried look like standard issue for their brands.

I'm clearly not an expert in this field...and I see Knob Creek mentioned quite a bit here....if I try that next, should I go right to reserve?
Maker's is fine, but it's a very personal taste. I personally much prefer higher proof and/or higher rye bourbons. Maker's is fine, but in the price range, I'm generally walking past the MM for Wild Turkey 101 or Old Grand-Dad (100 or 114).  Or a reasonably priced Rye.

But that's one of the great beauties of bourbon and American whiskey. So many delicious options to choose from to find what you like best. It doesn't need to be expensive, so you can have a great time finding what you like best and don't have to spend a bunch of money (on that front, imo, everybody needs a bottle of Evan Williams White Label around).

I have a sweet tooth when it comes to bourbon and over the past few years have somewhat settled in on my favorites:  Jim Beam Vanilla, Knob Creek Smoked Maple, and Wild Turkey American Honey.

Nice. My wife bought me a bottle of William Larue Weller for my birthday last year. It’s pretty harsh by itself, so I add a liberal amount of Dr. Pepper and throw a few Jolly Ranchers in there too. Superb.
I hope you used the sour apple jolly ranchers. Those are the best compliment 

Maker's is fine, but it's a very personal taste. I personally much prefer higher proof and/or higher rye bourbons. Maker's is fine, but in the price range, I'm generally walking past the MM for Wild Turkey 101 or Old Grand-Dad (100 or 114).  Or a reasonably priced Rye.

But that's one of the great beauties of bourbon and American whiskey. So many delicious options to choose from to find what you like best. It doesn't need to be expensive, so you can have a great time finding what you like best and don't have to spend a bunch of money (on that front, imo, everybody needs a bottle of Evan Williams White Label around).
Truer words were never spoken (regarding varied tastes and being sure to keep a bottle of Evan white label around. :thumbup:  

Evan is the official whiskey of our annual “man camp” trip (very rustic/survival camping) with my bourbon buddies.  Sure we have 15ish bottles of great stuff sitting on the table in camp too, but always have a couple handles of even black or white label for mixing and all night drinking by the (overly large) campfire. 

Been trying a bunch of different bourbons the last year and Saturday went back to Makers Mark for a couple on the rocks.  Really enjoyed it and missed the taste.  Will be revisiting Makers again soon.

Last week I was over a buddys and had some Basil Hayden..very good as well.

Currently sipping a Willett Family Esgage private barrel selection of their own 5yr distillate (Barrel 1046 aka “Dad’s Private Stash - 106.2pf). 

Willett’s 5yr distillate is better than most 10/12yr bourbon right now, IMO. 

It was about $120 out the door as was the stagg. I’m #3 on their call list and GF is #6 for the Van Winkle stuff which should hit this week. Fingers crossed for a 12 and 10.... 
You should feel thankful you have a reputable dealer selling at retail, my honey hole in GA is pretty good as well but since he only got 1 bottle of Larue he didn't sell it at retail and it ended up selling for $699

Last edited by a moderator:
Sharing for those who may know better (and can afford the price tag): https://www.nicholaswines.com/spirits/

Boss Hog V: The Spirit of Mauve 

BOTTLE PRICE
$495

“While we didn’t get the whiskey done in time to get it entered into any competitions this year, it is my belief that Boss Hog V: The Spirit of Mauve is better even than Boss Hog IV: The Black Prince was...” Master Distiller Dave Pickerel 

This years 5th edition Boss Hog "The Spirit of Mauve" may be the last ever made. It certainly will be a collectors bottle for sure. This years version is named for Mauve, one of the beloved pigs at the Whistle Pig Farm that passed away on Valentines Day. Unfortunately, it probably should have been named for the real Boss Hog, our friend, creator & Master Distiller for Whistle Pig, David Pickerel, who himself passed suddenly last month.

David had a mammoth personality, was incredibly intelligent and super talented... which many of you witnessed during last years Whistle Pig dinner. I received my tiny allocation of Boss Hog IV last month and buried it in the cellar waiting for the holidays. In the worst type of foreshadowing, Whistle Pig packed each bottle in a coffin box in honor of Mauve.

Since David's passing, these bottles have skyrocketed in price and I've received a ton of phone calls from all over the country from collectors begging me to sell them. I felt it was only right to offer it to my list only. 

I will offer my 12 bottles (minus 1 for me) at $495 a bottle on a first come first serve basis.

Boss Hog V: The Spirit of Mauve

13 YEARS AGED | BARREL STRENGTH | FINISHED IN CALVADOS CASKS

This 5th edition of The Boss Hog, The Spirit of Mauve, is a 13 Year Straight Rye Whiskey finished in Calvados Casks in honor of our celebrity pet pig, Mauve’s undying love of apples.The result is extraordinary. A unique blend of sweet and spiced flavors with a fine balance between American power and French sophistication. There’s nothing else like it.

NOSE
Mulled cider, cardamom, candied ginger and a touch of piper tobacco. Caramel, vanilla and gentle Rye spice develops with time in the glass.
PALATE
Maple syrup and pears are balanced by dark chocolate and French oak spice. With water, the spice moves front and center and a vibrant, fruit-forward character develops.
FINISH
Lasting spice and a touch of charred oak and caramel, maple syrup lingers as the finish fades.

Just a heads up, High West's  "A Midwinter Night's Dram" has now hit stores. Should run around $80-150 a bottle. 
Is it actually their bourbon? I thought they were getting it from someone else for a while. Don’t get me wrong, it’s always been tasty. 

My wife bought me a bourbon advent calendar this year from drinks by the dram 

5 days in and found one that I would have bought that I like, Bulleit 10 year
I really like Bulleit 10 year also. 

Funniest California bourbon moment was at a concert with my wife and some friends, and they had a whiskey stand/bar thing. They had dramatically overpriced Jack, Jim Beam white label, and something forgettable. Then for the same exact freakin price they had Bulleit 10 year. Now, it isn't the nicest bourbon ever, but it's definitely better than that. Was a fantastic deal in one of the last places I'd have ever expected.

I added a cool piece of history to my bar area, a prescription for whiskey written by a doctor in 1924 on a form provided by the Treasury Department that uses the same paper as money at the time: https://i.imgur.com/paqZqt2.jpg

Then I upped my Old Fashioned game by getting these Cibi crystal glasses used by Harrison Ford in Blade Runner. Here's mine in the wild: https://i.imgur.com/j6kk1xH.jpg
Well, I just kept going back to those glasses and finally pulled the trigger. But I freaking pulled it hard. Ordered 10 sets of them for all my whiskey drinking friends. We all usually exchange whiskeys with each other and I’m hoping I’m the hero this year.

They just got delivered to my house. Can’t wait to get home!!

Well, I just kept going back to those glasses and finally pulled the trigger. But I freaking pulled it hard. Ordered 10 sets of them for all my whiskey drinking friends. We all usually exchange whiskeys with each other and I’m hoping I’m the hero this year.

Damn, did you get a better deal for 10? I was disappointed to find that, because of the angling of the glass, my ice spheres don't fit. They get stuck in the middle of the glass, above the bourbon.

Damn, did you get a better deal for 10? I was disappointed to find that, because of the angling of the glass, my ice spheres don't fit. They get stuck in the middle of the glass, above the bourbon.
No better deal for 10, I just ponied up a bunch of dough.

I feared that might happen with the ice spheres. I drink a lot of my whiskey neat so it’s not a problem. But that definitely sucks that the spheres don’t fit.

I also watched Blade Runner last night while I was using the glass to remind myself of how it was used in the movie. It’s pretty prominent, and sure enough, is the same glass.

Those glasses aren't meant for ice. Gotta look for an "Old Fashioned" glass or Tumbler. 

I highly suggest going to a Goodwill store and check out their glassware section. you can get some really cool old looking pieces for about $.97. I have spent $$ on Norlan glasses, Waterford, etc but when I have friends over they always pick out the "unique" pieces. 

Those glasses aren't meant for ice. Gotta look for an "Old Fashioned" glass or Tumbler. 

I highly suggest going to a Goodwill store and check out their glassware section. you can get some really cool old looking pieces for about $.97. I have spent $$ on Norlan glasses, Waterford, etc but when I have friends over they always pick out the "unique" pieces. 
That's a good tip. 

:goodposting:

Found a set of these at a goodwill for 99 cents a piece.  Love these glasses - they are beefy.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Jack-Daniels-GJ-GENTLEMAN-JACK-Embossed-Base-Rocks-Glasses-2-MINT/254019647499?hash=item3b24c0380b:g:newAAOSwnKdbYhCp:rk:22:pf:0

“This glass reeks of hobo piss”

Well, technically those glasses are called "double old-fashioned" glasses.

Local lottery this weekend looks to have a great selection but they are selling Pappy and BTAC at half of secondary. Not prepared to drop that much for some of the bottles if lucky enough to win so probably have to drop down to the Michters 10, old Fitz 9/11, rock Hill farms range.  I can stomach $200 for George T Stagg but $500 for Pappy 15 a little over my range. 

Local lottery this weekend looks to have a great selection but they are selling Pappy and BTAC at half of secondary. Not prepared to drop that much for some of the bottles if lucky enough to win so probably have to drop down to the Michters 10, old Fitz 9/11, rock Hill farms range.  I can stomach $200 for George T Stagg but $500 for Pappy 15 a little over my range. 
I agree about spending $500 on a bottle but couldn’t you buy the Pappy and immediately flip it in the store?

Damn!  You’re a good man kutta!

Am I drunk or are those very cool looking glasses $85 each?

Users who are viewing this thread