What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bourbon guys (2 Viewers)

So strange that people have trouble finding Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare. I could buy 100 bottles of both of those very easily in the Phoenix area.
Where are you buying them?  Total and Bevmo both currently out of BT 750s.  They have the ER. This shouldn't require effort.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where are you buying them?  Total and Bevmo both currently out of BT 750s.  They have the ER. This shouldn't require effort.
Well, I haven’t bought any recently, but any time I want either I can usually find it at AJ’s and even my local Fry’s carries BT sometimes.

Well, I haven’t bought any recently, but any time I want either I can usually find it at AJ’s and even my local Fry’s carries BT sometimes.
AJs was out, too, though I hate buying anything there when it's not wine/spirits sale.  Never looked at Fry's.  Will check the Signature.  Thanks.

Yesterday I went to the (Pa Liquor Store) to pick my Midwinter Dram. I go over to the office and said I was here to pick up an order and the guy in there said "We have been waiting for you!" I said, well I was just notified on Monday that my order was in and the guy says huh? It's been here for two weeks. So he asks me my last name and then says Oh... I thought you were the last guy to pick up his Pappy Van Winkle lottery bottles. 

Turns out four different guys in my area had won the Pa Lottery for Pappy, none of them being ME! 👎😥

Yesterday I went to the (Pa Liquor Store) to pick my Midwinter Dram. I go over to the office and said I was here to pick up an order and the guy in there said "We have been waiting for you!" I said, well I was just notified on Monday that my order was in and the guy says huh? It's been here for two weeks. So he asks me my last name and then says Oh... I thought you were the last guy to pick up his Pappy Van Winkle lottery bottles. 

Turns out four different guys in my area had won the Pa Lottery for Pappy, none of them being ME! 👎😥
You should have said yes.

Total Bourbon novice. Thoughts on best value for under $50?

I saw this https://www.gq.com/story/best-bourbons-under-50

Others?
Are you looking for a gift for a bourbon drinker? Or to start to explore bourbon personally?

The true beauty of bourbon, imo, is that it's nearly all pretty good. Regulations pretty much make it nearly impossible for something to be called bourbon or straight whiskey and not be pretty good (imo, good enough to enjoy neat). Even if you only have $15 to spend ($50, imo, is a lot of money to spend in the bourbon world because $30 will buy you a delicious bourbon).

So, it's a matter of personal preference which just takes exploration. If it's for you, I'd say start with a handful of $20-30 bottles and see what you like. You could nearly pick anything, but Buffalo Trace, Wild Turkey 101, Henry McKenna Single Barrel, Four Roses Small Batch or Single Barrel, Woodford Reserve, Maker's Mark, Old Grand-Dad 100 proof, Eagle Rare are all good places to start. Heck, even some Evan Williams White or Black or Single Barrel. Being fortunate enough to be in Tennessee, you can even get some Very Old Barton 100 proof (it's a favorite in Kentucky, but they let very little of it get out of the state or past TN). Any of those (and many more) would give you a mix of profiles and distillers to explore, and then go from there.

If for someone else that already enjoys bourbon, my personal rec would be Wild Turkey Rare Breed. But I just love Wild Turkey, so that's a personal thing. 

Are you looking for a gift for a bourbon drinker? Or to start to explore bourbon personally?

The true beauty of bourbon, imo, is that it's nearly all pretty good. Regulations pretty much make it nearly impossible for something to be called bourbon or straight whiskey and not be pretty good (imo, good enough to enjoy neat). Even if you only have $15 to spend ($50, imo, is a lot of money to spend in the bourbon world because $30 will buy you a delicious bourbon).

So, it's a matter of personal preference which just takes exploration. If it's for you, I'd say start with a handful of $20-30 bottles and see what you like. You could nearly pick anything, but Buffalo Trace, Wild Turkey 101, Henry McKenna Single Barrel, Four Roses Small Batch or Single Barrel, Woodford Reserve, Maker's Mark, Old Grand-Dad 100 proof, Eagle Rare are all good places to start. Heck, even some Evan Williams White or Black or Single Barrel. Being fortunate enough to be in Tennessee, you can even get some Very Old Barton 100 proof (it's a favorite in Kentucky, but they let very little of it get out of the state or past TN). Any of those (and many more) would give you a mix of profiles and distillers to explore, and then go from there.

If for someone else that already enjoys bourbon, my personal rec would be Wild Turkey Rare Breed. But I just love Wild Turkey, so that's a personal thing. 
Thanks. That's super helpful. 

I don't see myself ever diving deep into it as I've got too many other things I'm interested in. But I'm guessing Bourbon is like most things and just a little help from people in the know can give a big jumpstart and help. Thanks a lot.

I agree about spending $500 on a bottle but couldn’t you buy the Pappy and immediately flip it in the store?
Update, didn't win anything but the person who won the 23 for 899 was heard whispering that they would take 1800 for it. I believe they ended up walking out of there with it. 

Thanks. That's super helpful. 

I don't see myself ever diving deep into it as I've got too many other things I'm interested in. But I'm guessing Bourbon is like most things and just a little help from people in the know can give a big jumpstart and help. Thanks a lot.
I concur with others: 4 Roses Small Batch, Eagle Rare and Buffalo Trace are all excellent. My sister in law works for Sazerac so I’d personally recommend the last 2 above all else ;)

On the wild turkey tip, what do you think about Russell’s reserve?

Local lottery this weekend looks to have a great selection but they are selling Pappy and BTAC at half of secondary. Not prepared to drop that much for some of the bottles if lucky enough to win so probably have to drop down to the Michters 10, old Fitz 9/11, rock Hill farms range.  I can stomach $200 for George T Stagg but $500 for Pappy 15 a little over my range. 
I just spent $499 on a Pappy 15 only because I can sell it for $1100. Zero chance I’m opening that bottle. 

You should feel thankful you have a reputable dealer selling at retail, my honey hole in GA is pretty good as well but since he only got 1 bottle of Larue he didn't sell it at retail and it ended up selling for $699
Turns out while they sold the BTAC at retail, they marked up the Pappy stuff badly. I saw her paper with her prices jotted and it also had “bottlespot.com” on it... so she’d looked up secondary and marked it up below that. Pricing was $500 for the 15yr, $300 for 12yr, and $200 for 10yr. I was the first one she called and took the 15yr for $500. Will clear ~$600 in profit on it and cover my cost on my 2xWLW and 1xGTS this year. 

Also picking up another 1976 Wild Turkey 101 decanter from my buddy today ($135... a steal). Still to this day the best bourbon I’ve ever had. 

I just spent $499 on a Pappy 15 only because I can sell it for $1100. Zero chance I’m opening that bottle. 
That was what they sold the 15 for in that lottery as well. Had i win any of those I was leaning towards trading them for a handful of other lottery type bottles. 

Assuming we are talking drinking not gifting here...

Buffalo Trace, Henry McKenna 10yr BIB, Eagle Rare, Russels Reserve 10yr, Old Weller Antique (if you can find it), Michters Rye, 1792 Full Proof 
SIL gave me a bottle to take down to Mexico for New Years- going to be a fun trip and we always each day night night caps on the balcony.

What is the going rate on the 2nd hand market for the bottles available in Ohio's lottery?

Old Rip Van Winkle 10, $54.96

Old Rip Van Winkle 12, $64.22

Pappy Van Winkle 15, $91.98

Pappy Van Winkle 20, $156.80

Pappy Van Winkle 23, $249.38 

Eagle Rare 17, $99.99

George T. Stagg, $99.99

Sazerac Rye 18, $99.99

Thomas H. Handy, $99.99

William Larue Weller, $99.99

What is the going rate on the 2nd hand market for the bottles available in Ohio's lottery?

Old Rip Van Winkle 10, $54.96

Old Rip Van Winkle 12, $64.22

Pappy Van Winkle 15, $91.98

Pappy Van Winkle 20, $156.80

Pappy Van Winkle 23, $249.38 

Eagle Rare 17, $99.99

George T. Stagg, $99.99

Sazerac Rye 18, $99.99

Thomas H. Handy, $99.99

William Larue Weller, $99.99
I have been quoted the following

Pappy 15- $1500.00

ER 17- $450.00

WLW- $699

How do you get into these bottle lotteries?
Don't know if it's done the same way everywhere, but my neighbor just did one a few weeks ago.  Showed up at 6am for an 8am drawing.  They gave out 400 tickets, then drew random numbers.  You were only allowed to buy 1 bottle off their "list".

Old Rip Van Winkle 10, $250 

Old Rip Van Winkle 12, $450

Pappy Van Winkle 15, $1000-1100

Pappy Van Winkle 20, $1300-1400

Pappy Van Winkle 23, $1900

Eagle Rare 17, $1100 (2018 very limited)

George T. Stagg, $400

Sazerac Rye 18, $500-600

Thomas H. Handy, $250-300

William Larue Weller, $600
These are close... varies a bit over time. 

Instinctive said:
How do you get into these bottle lotteries?
Depends on the state.  In Indiana and Kentucky there is a variety of ways stores run them but for the most part they are show up and participate.   I've seen them run where you everyone that shows up gets one ticket for free and they just pull numbers to a weighted lottery where you get a ticket for each regular bottle you buy from the store.

Then there are the states where the government runs the liquor stores and they have a state wide lottery that I believe you just have to sign up online for.   I'm not as familiar with this but from what I have read I believe that is the process.

Anyone familiar with this distillery? Worth a shot at the price point?

For our last stop on my Kentucky trip, we headed to Starlight, Indiana to visit Starlight Distillery. Don't be shocked, a ton of bourbon is made in Indiana. This distillery is the very definition of small craft bourbon. They grow their own corn, rye and barley on hundreds of acres. Meaning, they literally control every part of the process. The Huber's are pretty much king of the hill in Southern Indiana in the farming and wine business. This is the first generation that turned into distillers. We tasted through all of their 5 year old bourbons with 22 year old Christian Huber. This is one impressive young man and he makes some damn good bourbon. My favorite part of this visit was Christian telling me about Sunday dinners. Four generations live on the farm in houses scattered across their property that’s been in the family for over one hundred years. On Sundays, the families get together and cook all the offerings from the farm for a weekly family supper. Imagine eating with all your aunts, uncles, grandparents and great grandparents every week? This place is right out of the movies.

I was absolutely blown away with the quality of the bourbon that I tasted. It makes sense, I'm literally tasting in the middle of the corn and barley fields that produced this gem. I wasn't brought there to buy, they don't make enough to sell entire barrels to one customer. You know I wasn't leaving without one though. I pried one away from Christian as his dad was on a business trip.  This really wasn't a fair negotiation. I almost felt bad ....almost !!

What I walked away with was a 4 year old barrel that I think was the best young bourbon that I ever tasted. We named it "Melissa's Mash Nicholas Barrel Reserve." My intention was to use this for our bourbon cocktail list that Melissa is heading up. She's more of a bourbon cocktail girl rather than a straight sipper (although this is good enough to be drank on its own for sure). I bottled it at cask strength of 116 proof.

Tasting notes

3 Grain Mashbill with 37% Rye
Notes of Candy corn, molasses with elegant light fruit notes. The high Rye content comes out with beautiful spice on the long lingering finish.

BOTTLE PRICE
$38.50

Depends on the state.  In Indiana and Kentucky there is a variety of ways stores run them but for the most part they are show up and participate.   I've seen them run where you everyone that shows up gets one ticket for free and they just pull numbers to a weighted lottery where you get a ticket for each regular bottle you buy from the store.

Then there are the states where the government runs the liquor stores and they have a state wide lottery that I believe you just have to sign up online for.   I'm not as familiar with this but from what I have read I believe that is the process.
So, for non-government run states, you simply need to inquire at your local shop(s) whether they do this sort of thing?

Anyone familiar with this distillery? Worth a shot at the price point?

For our last stop on my Kentucky trip, we headed to Starlight, Indiana to visit Starlight Distillery. Don't be shocked, a ton of bourbon is made in Indiana. This distillery is the very definition of small craft bourbon. They grow their own corn, rye and barley on hundreds of acres. Meaning, they literally control every part of the process. The Huber's are pretty much king of the hill in Southern Indiana in the farming and wine business. This is the first generation that turned into distillers. We tasted through all of their 5 year old bourbons with 22 year old Christian Huber. This is one impressive young man and he makes some damn good bourbon. My favorite part of this visit was Christian telling me about Sunday dinners. Four generations live on the farm in houses scattered across their property that’s been in the family for over one hundred years. On Sundays, the families get together and cook all the offerings from the farm for a weekly family supper. Imagine eating with all your aunts, uncles, grandparents and great grandparents every week? This place is right out of the movies.

I was absolutely blown away with the quality of the bourbon that I tasted. It makes sense, I'm literally tasting in the middle of the corn and barley fields that produced this gem. I wasn't brought there to buy, they don't make enough to sell entire barrels to one customer. You know I wasn't leaving without one though. I pried one away from Christian as his dad was on a business trip.  This really wasn't a fair negotiation. I almost felt bad ....almost !!

What I walked away with was a 4 year old barrel that I think was the best young bourbon that I ever tasted. We named it "Melissa's Mash Nicholas Barrel Reserve." My intention was to use this for our bourbon cocktail list that Melissa is heading up. She's more of a bourbon cocktail girl rather than a straight sipper (although this is good enough to be drank on its own for sure). I bottled it at cask strength of 116 proof.

Tasting notes

3 Grain Mashbill with 37% Rye
Notes of Candy corn, molasses with elegant light fruit notes. The high Rye content comes out with beautiful spice on the long lingering finish.

BOTTLE PRICE
$38.50
Nothing personal, but I think you could just post a link to sign up to your local liquor store’s long winded monthly sales pitch email, that way those of us who didn’t want to read his hyped up BS about middling whiskey wouldn’t have to do so.... :lol:  

No, it is actually a local restaurant that has branched out into wine/liquor distributing. May have it available there, but not thinking as a sampler, but provides an option to try before buy.
In that case, I'd likely order a pour and maybe take a bottle or two home, depending on what I thought.  Not much downside risk if it's not to your liking.

No, it is actually a local restaurant that has branched out into wine/liquor distributing. May have it available there, but not thinking as a sampler, but provides an option to try before buy.
That kind of "taste before you buy" makes sense. And I'd think most people would be fine with buying the drink. 

Duly noted and appreciate the input one last time (at least on this type of outreach). Not my intent to clutter the thread.
It’s nothing personal, at all. All their stuff just reads very “hypey”.

To your question: I’ve not heard of the distillery, but the next “grain to glass” distillery who’s stuff I’ve tasted and liked will be the first. Unfortunately 99% of smaller “craft” distilleries that actually make their own stuff tend to turn out garbage.

IMO bourbon tends to be the opposite of beer in that the good beers are small craft shops that lose quality when they scale... wheras the best bourbons are made by the big distilleries with the experience, talent, and facilities. 

I honestly can’t think of one boutique distillery producing a Bourbon id recommend, aside from possibly KBD/Willett, which I’m not sure can be considered craft at this point. 

Just a heads up, High West's  "A Midwinter Night's Dram" has now hit stores. Should run around $80-150 a bottle. 
Had a few tastings of this over the holiday. Absolutely LOVED the rye in this one. I made several types of manhattans and this shined through every time. Now I wish I would have bought more than two bottles. 

Had a few tastings of this over the holiday. Absolutely LOVED the rye in this one. I made several types of manhattans and this shined through every time. Now I wish I would have bought more than two bottles. 
I picked up two bottles from a big time bourbon/rye collector on a 2 fer 1 after doing some work for him

The mans collection on stuff is better than a liquor store and he’s always making trades 

So my brother has been looking to get some Blanton's, but has been having trouble finding it.  He's in Michigan, I'm in Virginia.  I have to buy from a State store, Michigan has many more retail options.  How do you go about finding when these limited edition bourbons are delivered?

Users who are viewing this thread