What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bourbon guys (3 Viewers)

PA has a Limited-Release Lottery, which of these would you put your name in for?

I wouldn't put in for a $2k bottle but I see that priced online in the 5 figures, worth taking a shot for resale / trade / collect?

In an effort to more equitably distribute limited availability, high-demand products to both individual consumers and licensees, we offer a Limited-Release Lottery for our most popular, rare products. Limited-Release Lotteries are open only to Pennsylvania residents and licensees.

Fall 2020 Limited-Release Lottery

We're happy to announce the return of the Limited-Release Lottery! Registration is now open and will close at 5 p.m., Friday, November 6. Drawings will be conducted the week of November 9, and we hope to notify all winning and non-winning entries by Friday, November 20.

This time, we're offering you the opportunity to opt in to six separate Lotteries for select bottles of bourbons and whiskies:

Eagle Rare Double Eagle Very Rare Straight Bourbon 90 Proof · $1,999.99 each · 8 bottles · 6 for individual consumers, 2 for licensees

Michter's Straight Bourbon Limited Release 20 Year Old 114 Proof · $799.99 each · 8 bottles · 6 for individual consumers, 2 for licensees

Rock Hill Farms Single Barrel Bourbon · $49.99 each · 114 bottles · 86 for individual consumers, 28 for licensees

Old Forester Birthday Straight Bourbon 2020 98 Proof · $129.99 each · 138 bottles · 104 for individual consumers, 34 for licensees

Eagle Rare Straight Bourbon 17 Year Old 101 Proof Bottled Summer 2019 · $109.99 each · 2 bottles · 1 for individual consumers, 1 for licensees

Sazerac Straight Rye Whiskey 18 Year Old 90 Proof Bottled Summer 2019 · $109.99 each · 3 bottles · 2 for individual consumers, 1 for licensees

Thomas H. Handy Sazerac Straight Rye Whiskey Barrel Proof 125.7 Proof 2019 Release · $109.99 each · 6 bottles · 5 for individual consumers, 1 for licensees

William Larue Weller Straight Bourbon Barrel Proof 128.0 Proof 2019 Release · $109.99 each · 13 bottles · 10 for individual consumers, 3 for licensees

George T. Stagg Straight Bourbon Barrel Proof 116.9 Proof 2019 Release · $109.99 each · 35 bottles · 27 for individual consumers, 8 for licensees

Sazerac Straight Rye Whiskey 18 Year Old 90 Proof Bottled Summer 2020 · $109.99 each · 12 bottles · 9 for individual consumers, 3 for licensees

Eagle Rare Straight Bourbon 17 Year Old 101 Proof Bottled Summer 2020 · $109.99 each · 24 bottles · 18 for individual consumers, 6 for licensees

William Larue Weller Straight Bourbon Barrel Proof 134.5 Proof 2020 Release · $109.99 each · 54 bottles · 41 for individual consumers, 13 for licensees

Thomas H. Handy Sazerac Straight Rye Whiskey Barrel Proof 129.0 Proof 2020 Release · $109.99 each · 138 bottles · 104 for individual consumers, 34 for licensees

George T. Stagg Straight Bourbon Barrel Proof 130.4 Proof 2020 Release · $109.99 each · 213 bottles · 160 for individual consumers, 53 for licensees]

PA has a Limited-Release Lottery, which of these would you put your name in for?

I wouldn't put in for a $2k bottle but I see that priced online in the 5 figures, worth taking a shot for resale / trade / collect?
The 2020 Stagg is likely the best with a high number of bottles in increase your odds.

Check out Barrels Online for barrels. Best source I've found and they'll engrave for you. 

We do a 10 & 20L. 1L is REALLY small (half a roll of English muffins). I suggest 3 or 5 L if you're going to do it. 

No issues with anything sitting in 100 proof booze that long 😂 Well the bitters will overpower the drink so go VERY light or just add later. 

I'll have to dig up the recipe. 
Hey - please ignore my PM as I finally found this post.  Did you ever find the recipe you are using?

Hey - please ignore my PM as I finally found this post.  Did you ever find the recipe you are using?
Hey sorry! 85% bourbon / 10% homemade simple syrup (touch weaker than normal)  / 5% No Pulp OJ in the barrel.

Muddled cherry and dash or two of bitters in the glass before adding rocks and pouring. 

Last edited by a moderator:
@Bluesbomber - here’s a good video from The Educated Barfly around 5 favorite bourbons that won’t break the bank.  Maybe check these out?  I have all 5 of these and all are solid and depending on where you are located (I know where you live! ;)  ) you can get all of these foe under $30.

I hope you are enjoying the 1816 - it’s pretty good.  I had not had it before when I sent it but got one for me too and it’s about half gone now and in my rotation.

https://youtu.be/2NmKAPlY7ro
 rewatched and seen maybe subconsciously bought the Bib old grand dad. Sharing this as it was a great rec from icon and seen a few newer posters getting into bourbon as I am, posting lately. Definatly wanting to find the Weller recomended here or the Weller 12 or Antique. A

As an aside The Ocean was nice, probably overpriced and a marketing hype buy but I enjoyed it. The double oaked Woodford has potential as only 1 sipper so far. Will delve deeper on a fireside type night.

Thanks again icon. Great stuff...see you on Beale...eventually. I tend to judge IBC's and have many friends/performers visiting the M on Blues events. Be well. 

Drinking way more bourbon/rye lately....used to be a beer fan but IPAs are just too heavy lately....

I try to change it up with Woodford, Basil Hayden, Bulleit - but mix in some higher end stuff like Whistle Pig

I used to be able to get Angel's Envy and Blanton's easily in NJ but cant find it anywhere now....any reason for it?  
I see Angels occasionally in Michigan , is it only a limited release each year?  

Picked it up today. It was way less than what it would go for on the secondary market, but still an expensive bottle.

My fiancée also won an EH Taylor Small batch.  That sold for ~$40. That was a great deal for still a pretty good bottle.
Elijah Craig 18 is selling for $449 at a secondary place by me, 899 for the 23 year :lmao:

How is that EC toasted barrel treating you?
I’ll be honest - I like the Barrel Proof better so far.  I want to let it sit for a while and give it another shot.  I didn’t dislike it but it was different.  It had an unusual upfront taste on the palate but I loved the finish.

Still - I was extremely happy to find it and have it on hand.  It was near impossible to find.  Have you had it GB?

I’ll be honest - I like the Barrel Proof better so far.  I want to let it sit for a while and give it another shot.  I didn’t dislike it but it was different.  It had an unusual upfront taste on the palate but I loved the finish.

Still - I was extremely happy to find it and have it on hand.  It was near impossible to find.  Have you had it GB?
Haven’t had any luck finding it and don’t know of anyone else around me that has. The barrel proof used to be impossible to find but now I see it a lot. Really good stuff

Haven’t had any luck finding it and don’t know of anyone else around me that has. The barrel proof used to be impossible to find but now I see it a lot. Really good stuff
Yeah - I had trouble getting the barrel proof earlier in the year and then it was all over - both the B520 and C920.  Both are great.

The Toasted I couldn’t find anywhere and then a few weeks back I was walking around one of my local mom and pop’s and it was just sitting behind the counter on a shelf up high by a couple random other bottles.  I thought for sure they had set it aside for another customer but he said it was available so I grabbed it.  My buddy loved it - I thought it was just good.  Come to Atlanta and we’ll have some.  :suds:

Check out Barrels Online for barrels. Best source I've found and they'll engrave for you. 

We do a 10 & 20L. 1L is REALLY small (half a roll of English muffins). I suggest 3 or 5 L if you're going to do it. 

No issues with anything sitting in 100 proof booze that long 😂 Well the bitters will overpower the drink so go VERY light or just add later. 

I'll have to dig up the recipe. 
So I bought two of the 3 liter barrels.

Wanted to get some input from you or others who maybe have done this before.

I bought one for my buddy and one for us and engraved them both.  I'm going to be filling them next week - his will be Old Fashioned and mine with be Manhattan.  Here are my questions/looking for input:

1. I'm looking to use either Evan Williams BiB or Buffalo Trace for the OF.  Leaning toward BT.

2. I'm looking to use either Old Forester Rye or Bulleit Rye and I'll almost definitely use Antica Formula for my vermouth

3. You mention being careful with the bitters.  Any suggestions on how much to scale back or would you just recommend adding after along with garnish?

I bought one for my buddy and one for us and engraved them both.  I'm going to be filling them next week - his will be Old Fashioned and mine with be Manhattan.  Here are my questions/looking for input:

1. I'm looking to use either Evan Williams BiB or Buffalo Trace for the OF.  Leaning toward BT.

2. I'm looking to use either Old Forester Rye or Bulleit Rye and I'll almost definitely use Antica Formula for my vermouth

3. You mention being careful with the bitters.  Any suggestions on how much to scale back or would you just recommend adding after along with garnish?
I would go with the higher proof EW BiB or WT 101 is also a good choice. I may be crazy but I think higher proof ages better.

Depends on duration of aging. The longer you go, the closer you want to approach zero bitters. 

I generally shoot for ~6-9 months aging on ours and I usually use about 1/4 the bitters Id normally use... then add more to taste when serving. 

Barrels are filled - 3 liters barrels.  Here's what they have in them.

Manhattan

• 66 oz. Old Forester Rye
  • 33 oz. Antica Formula
  • .5 oz. Cherry Bitters
Old Fashioned

• 100 oz. Evan Williams BiB
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • .75 oz. Orange Bitters

I'll only be aging these about a month - checking weekly as I go.  I'm too impatient to wait 5-6 months and with only 1 barrel (giving the other as a gift), I don't want to wait.

Will report back and let you know how it goes.

Two James Grass Widow- made an old fashioned and now on the rocks. Tasty stuff. High rye bill and finished in madeira barrels gives it a distinct taste. It’s especially good in Old Fashions imo.

This Friday instead of Black Friday shopping - me and a couple of buddies are  going bourbon hunting.  We have a route where we hope to hit about 30 liquor stores and will end at Chattanooga brewery and distillery.  The distillery just released a cask strength bourbon this week.  
Ok, so we hit about 25 liquor stores, Chattanooga distillery and Chattanooga Brewery.

I really had no game plan per se but was hoping to get some new stuff (check), some rare-ish stuff (kind of check) and have some fun (double check).

I won’t go in to gory detail.  Here was my haul:

- Blanton's

- New Riff Single Barrel

- High West (Double Rye)

- Chattanooga Whiskey Cask Strength 111

Tasting of:

Weller Antique 107

High West A Midwinter Nights Dram (loved this)

Just had Angel's Envy Finished Rye for the first time today at a Whisky tasting event I went to.  Good stuff! 
One of my all time favs.

Just picked up a bottle the other day.

For anyone in Phoenix, the Total Wine at Desert Ridge has cases of Angel's Envy Rye on hand.

Picked up a bottle of Whistlepig 12 Old World Rye. Not much of a neat guy, but it drinks pretty nice.
I wasn't a huge fan of that one. It's the one aged in sherry casks, right? I find I don't like those finished bourbons as much as everyone else does.

I do like Angel's Envy Rye finished in the rum casks however...

Ok, so we hit about 25 liquor stores, Chattanooga distillery and Chattanooga Brewery.

I really had no game plan per se but was hoping to get some new stuff (check), some rare-ish stuff (kind of check) and have some fun (double check).

I won’t go in to gory detail.  Here was my haul:

- Blanton's

- New Riff Single Barrel

- High West (Double Rye)

- Chattanooga Whiskey Cask Strength 111

Tasting of:

Weller Antique 107

High West A Midsummer Nights Dram (loved this)
my kind of road trip!

Users who are viewing this thread