What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bourbon guys (2 Viewers)

Yeah, I've gotten a couple of searches to come up but seems hosed.
It’s back up, you have to go to the flash sale page. They’ve only released 2 so far with eagle rare 17 yr; stagg, birthday bourbon, weller and old forester 150th anniversary batch still to come

It’s back up, you have to go to the flash sale page. They’ve only released 2 so far with eagle rare 17 yr; stagg, birthday bourbon, weller and old forester 150th anniversary batch still to come
Seems to be California only - are you in Cali or Mich now?  I may need Gator or somebody to ship it to me.  IF I even get lucky.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why is Blanton’s so hard to get?
Interesting timing as I just bought my first bottle and just had my first taste.  It’s an undeniably cool bottle but the bourbon seems average.  But I read and watched a ton of reviews and honestly I didn’t have high expectations.  It’s perfectly fine - just kind of ordinary for the price and hoopla.  I’m anxious to let it sit and open up some but on first tasting I wasn’t blown away and can’t imagine I’ll buy another one unless it’s at retail - which is pretty much impossible around here.

Interesting timing as I just bought my first bottle and just had my first taste.  It’s an undeniably cool bottle but the bourbon seems average.  But I read and watched a ton of reviews and honestly I didn’t have high expectations.  It’s perfectly fine - just kind of ordinary for the price and hoopla.  I’m anxious to let it sit and open up some but on first tasting I wasn’t blown away and can’t imagine I’ll buy another one unless it’s at retail - which is pretty much impossible around here.
Every one has a different opinion on what tastes great.   Most people that I know love Blantons but I’m sure that you are not alone in your opinion that it’s nothing special.   Tastes change too over time.   It doesn’t mean that they change for better or worse either.   

Every one has a different opinion on what tastes great.   Most people that I know love Blantons but I’m sure that you are not alone in your opinion that it’s nothing special.   Tastes change too over time.   It doesn’t mean that they change for better or worse either.   
Definitely - and don’t get me wrong, it was good.  Just not special and definitely underwhelming for the money.  I don’t mind saying how much I overplayed for it.  They had a “deal” where you buy a store pick 1792 Full Proof for $50 and that gave you the opportunity to buy either Blanton at $100, Weller Antique 107 at $150 or Weller 12 at I think $250.  I pulled the trigger on the Blantons- all were well overpriced but I have the money and frankly the Blantons bottle is great looking and a conversation piece and now I can offer my friends some Blanton.  I would do it again for a first bottle.

Definitely - and don’t get me wrong, it was good.  Just not special and definitely underwhelming for the money.  I don’t mind saying how much I overplayed for it.  They had a “deal” where you buy a store pick 1792 Full Proof for $50 and that gave you the opportunity to buy either Blanton at $100, Weller Antique 107 at $150 or Weller 12 at I think $250.  I pulled the trigger on the Blantons- all were well overpriced but I have the money and frankly the Blantons bottle is great looking and a conversation piece and now I can offer my friends some Blanton.  I would do it again for a first bottle.
Think I paid $64 for my Blanton's... still unopened.  So I don't know if I'll think its "special" or not.  Guess I'm waiting for a special occasion.

I bought a bottle of Blantons for 60 or 70 a couple of years ago. A group of us did a blind taste taste test including Blantons.   Blantons was the most expensive and won easily.  That doesn’t mean that it wins  against a different set of Bourbons today though.   For the record, Blantons beat Eagle Rare, my favorite bourbon for the money.   

DropKick said:
Think I paid $64 for my Blanton's... still unopened.  So I don't know if I'll think its "special" or not.  Guess I'm waiting for a special occasion.

DocHolliday said:
I bought a bottle of Blantons for 60 or 70 a couple of years ago. A group of us did a blind taste taste test including Blantons.   Blantons was the most expensive and won easily.  That doesn’t mean that it wins  against a different set of Bourbons today though.   For the record, Blantons beat Eagle Rare, my favorite bourbon for the money.   
It’s definitely not bad so I’m sorry if I’m giving that impression.  I don’t think I’ve ever read a review where people said the whiskey isn’t worth trying.  It’s just overpriced for what I payed for it.  And to be fair, I just opened mine.  I’ll let it sit for a while and revisit with guests down the line. 

AAABatteries said:
I would boycott that store. The funny part is the Full Proof 1792 is probably better than everything else except maybe the Weller 12. Certainly for $50 it runs away with this field.  

I would boycott that store. The funny part is the Full Proof 1792 is probably better than everything else except maybe the Weller 12. Certainly for $50 it runs away with this field.  
Yep - that’s what I told my buddy, that we would like the 1792 better than anything.

I’ve had OWA 107 and I’d never pay that much for it - can’t imagine I’d pay the going rate for 12 year or Full Proof either.  Believe it or not but that’s the cheapest I’ve seen Blantons since I’ve gotten in to “collecting” so ultimately I was cool with it. 

So, thought maybe we could do a challenge that was going around on I think reddit and a lot of the bourbon Youtube reviewers picked up on.

You only need 5 Bourbons.  The idea is that at any time, all you need open is 5 different types of bourbon.  These are the 5 types:

1. Daily drinker- your go to for enjoying your daily bourbon
  2. Impress your guests - fancy but not too fancy
  3. Cheap mixer (and for guests you know won’t appreciate it)
  4. Something great- your Friday night bourbon
  5. Special occasion bottle - saving this for a special occasion

So, what say you on your vote for these 5?

Here's my 5:

1. Daily drinker- your go to for enjoying your daily bourbon - Buffalo Trace - love the stuff and I can pretty easily get it.  Honorable Mention - Wild Turkey 101 (bourbon) or Old Forester (rye)
  2. Impress your guests - fancy but not too fancy - Most of my friends are morons and not bourbon nuts so this one is easy - that new bottle of Blanton's I just bought - looks fancy, low proof and solid, most people have heard of it but frequently not tried it.  Honorable Mention - WhistlePig 10 - delicious and easy to drink - great looking bottle and intriguing Distillery/name
  3. Cheap mixer (and for guests you know won’t appreciate it) - Evan Williams BiB (white label) - several folks have expressed their love for this and at the price it's a no-brainer.  Honorable Mention - Early Times BiB - great on price and very tasty in a mixed drink 
  4. Something great- your Friday night bourbon - Elijah Craig Barrel Proof - may be my favorite that is in my regular rotation.  Honorable Mention - Eagle Rare - price wise this would be closer to the Daily drinker except it's very difficult to find around here and I don't want to put something I can't get down as a daily drinker.  Also, a little higher than I want to pay for a daily. 
  5. Special occasion bottle - saving this for a special occasion - Stagg Jr. - this stuff is fantastic.  It's probably the best bottle I have and definitely the hardest to obtain - not totally a special occasion bottle but I'm going with what's on my shelf.  Honorable Mention - I'm going to break that rule and list a bottle I want - High West Midwinter's Night Dram - I had some of this out at a restaurant and it was freaking delicious.  Been hunting a bottle ever since.

I'll play. Mine are pretty similar.

1. Daily drinker: Knob Creek Single Barrel. Probably my most drank bourbon over the last couple years. Huge flavors for a bottle that I can find in almost any store. I can usually find a store pick too. Runner up: Russel's Reserve for all the same reasons.

2. Impress your guests: Blanton's. Seems like a pretty easy choice. Runner up: Eagle Rare.

3. Cheap mixer: Wild Turkey 101. We don't make a lot of cocktails but when we do it's WT101. If we drank more mixers I'd have a bottle of Rittenhouse Rye on hand.

4. Something great: Elijah Craig Barrel Proof. My favorite. Runner up: Loving the Maker's Mark Limited Release stuff the last couple years.

5. Special Occasion Bottle: Stagg Jr. This used to be alongside ECBP in the previous category, but now it's impossible to find. Down to one bottle with only a handful of pours left. Runner up: Some random store pick that I loved and am now afraid to drink.

Sounds fun. Turns out I am a prissy little girl about this in hindsight. 

1. Daily drinker- your go to for enjoying your daily bourbon: I don't really drink daily - EW BiB (white label) would be it?
  2. Impress your guests - fancy but not too fancy Blanton's I guess (just from name recognition)
  3. Cheap mixer (and for guests you know won’t appreciate it): EW BiB (white label)
  4. Something great- your Friday night bourbon: Peerless Small Batch
  5. Special occasion bottle - saving this for a special occasion: My special occasions are vintage ports, but whiskey wise I suppose the one I place the highest premium on drinking is the Macallan Edition No. 3...which isn't bourbon...but if I pick a bourbon, Booker's?

It made me just go look at what we have in total on the bourbon front to be sure:

• Bulleit Frontier
  • Bulleit 10-year
  • Knob Creek Single Barrel (120 proof)
  • Booker's
  • Blanton's
  • High West American Prairie
  • Eagle Rare
  • Old Granddad 114 (this is my cocktails when people will care mixer)
  • Basil Hayden's
  • Woodford Reserve (someone who doesnt drink gave us this after they used it for a salmon glaze once lol)
  • Heaven Hill Old Style
  • Evan Williams Single Barrel
  • Evan Williams Bottled in Bond
Of course, there's also Rye, Japanese, and Scotch...

So, thought maybe we could do a challenge that was going around on I think reddit and a lot of the bourbon Youtube reviewers picked up on.

You only need 5 Bourbons.  The idea is that at any time, all you need open is 5 different types of bourbon.  These are the 5 types:

1.  My go to is Maker's 46.  Fantastic, 30$ at Sam's.  

2.  Impress guests:  Blanton's.  It's the easiest to find "hard to find" bottle.  

3.  Cheap mixer:  I've got some Basil Hayden, Knob Creek that I'm likely to pour for people that aren't too into bourbon.  Mixing wise, I think Buffalo trace stands up well despite it's lower proof.  Larceny goes good with gingerale or Ale81--plus the Larceny bottle looks awesome.

4.  Something great for Friday night:  Weller Full Proof.  It's my current favorite.  

5.  Special Bottle:  Got a bottle of Rip Van Winkle 10 year recently at the Liquor store.  Maybe that'll be the post-covid bottle. 

Sounds fun. Turns out I am a prissy little girl about this in hindsight. 

1. Daily drinker- your go to for enjoying your daily bourbon: I don't really drink daily - EW BiB (white label) would be it?
  2. Impress your guests - fancy but not too fancy Blanton's I guess (just from name recognition)
  3. Cheap mixer (and for guests you know won’t appreciate it): EW BiB (white label)
  4. Something great- your Friday night bourbon: Peerless Small Batch
  5. Special occasion bottle - saving this for a special occasion: My special occasions are vintage ports, but whiskey wise I suppose the one I place the highest premium on drinking is the Macallan Edition No. 3...which isn't bourbon...but if I pick a bourbon, Booker's?
I've never tried good scotch.  I've drank Johnny Walker in every color except the blue.  

Daily drinker- your go to for enjoying your daily bourbon,  Larceny, OGD 114

Impress your guests - fancy but not too fancy Lucky Seven, Eagle Rare

Cheap mixer (and for guests you know won’t appreciate it) Evan Williams, OGD BiB.

Something great- your Friday night bourbon, Russel's Reserve, Woodford Reserve double oaked.

Special occasion bottle - saving this for a special occasion NA, Lucky Seven , 12 year for now.

Beginning of a bourbon library. Trying new things and taking under advisement options to stock and look for. Started doing damage with EW black in mixed drinks and sips, with Larceny, Elijiah Craig small batch and Basil Hayden as some tries. Recieved a Chattanooga Solara aged as a gift. Really enjoy that and grabbed a bottle of Ocean...to check it out. Novice with an eye for quality and quality price point.

1. Buffalo Trace - For the money think this is best bottle out there to drink straight or on rocks.  I would say this used to be Henry McKenna bottled and bond when you could find that at its $35 MSRP but those days are long gone and I am not spending $100 on that bottle anymore.

2. Blantons - Not my favorite but drinkers know it and it is fairly easy to find (or has been historically) so don't mind sharing it with guests

3. Bulleit Rye - I know you asked for Bourbons but Ryes make much better drinks given the spicy flavors of Rye.  Think Bulleit is a good cheap example for drinks given it has like 95% rye in the mash bill

4. Weller 12 year - Though I doubt I would drink every Friday night.  I would put it a level below the next one on special occasion level and would be more willing to share around (people like the story around Pappy).

5. My bottle of George T. Stagg (Stagg Senior) - This one is basically for me and very select few others 

Just getting started in bourbon:

Daily drinker- your go to for enjoying your daily bourbon - Bakers 

Impress your guests - fancy but not too fancy - Blantons

Cheap mixer (and for guests you know won’t appreciate it) - Basil Hayden

Something great- your Friday night bourbon - Really liking the Makers Mark Private Selection 

Special occasion bottle - saving this for a special occasion - Weller 12, although it’s not a great as I hoped. Hope to get WLE or OF Birthday at some point

nirad3 said:
Doing a little holiday bourbon exchange with some of my FB friends (well, I guess it's kind of a pyramid scheme? :lol:  )

Got a bottle from a buddy... it's Old Forester 1920.  WOW this stuff is good.

I know the bourbon purists will frown on this, but after having it just straight (very good), I mixed it with some lemonade and it was deeeeeeelisssssssh.

https://www.oldforester.com/products/old-forester-1920-style-prohibition-whisky/
FYI https://www.reddit.com/r/whiskey/comments/fc0qit/4799_at_the_local_costco_in_mn_dont_mind_if_i_do/

That's not a "cheap" mixer.  I'd drink that straight all night.
Yeah, I've started with fancier/more expensive stuff. Need to tone it down. Have some regular Makers but need something else for mixers or friends who don't taste any difference. 

I'll have to jump in a bit more as I've picked up a couple bottles of stuff I've never tried (Jefferson Reserve and just today grabbed something out of Sonoma County that wasn't Bear Republic), but lately I've been drinking a lot of Basil Hayden (Costco had it down to $33 last week, but I already have 3 bottled on hand so didn't get more) and an Old Forrester 1897 Bottled in Bond (also has been at Costco, though supply seems pretty limited) - I've got 3 bottle of this on hand now as well (check, actually just 2 as I finished a bottle last weekend)

Yeah, I've started with fancier/more expensive stuff. Need to tone it down. Have some regular Makers but need something else for mixers or friends who don't taste any difference. 
I highly suggest using Ryes in cocktails.  Especially if making old fashioneds and Manhattans as those drinks were originally Rye drinks that have been converted to bourbon. I think they are better how they were originally conceived. 

nirad3 said:
Doing a little holiday bourbon exchange with some of my FB friends (well, I guess it's kind of a pyramid scheme? :lol:  )

Got a bottle from a buddy... it's Old Forester 1920.  WOW this stuff is good.

I know the bourbon purists will frown on this, but after having it just straight (very good), I mixed it with some lemonade and it was deeeeeeelisssssssh.

https://www.oldforester.com/products/old-forester-1920-style-prohibition-whisky/
Oh my.  That's an expensive mixer.

Redwes25 said:
1. Buffalo Trace - For the money think this is best bottle out there to drink straight or on rocks.  I would say this used to be Henry McKenna bottled and bond when you could find that at its $35 MSRP but those days are long gone and I am not spending $100 on that bottle anymore. 
Can still get it for $50 around here.

Special occasion bottle - saving this for a special occasion - Stagg Jr. - this stuff is fantastic.  It's probably the best bottle I have and definitely the hardest to obtain - not totally a special occasion bottle but I'm going with what's on my shelf.  Honorable Mention - I'm going to break that rule and list a bottle I want - High West Midwinter's Night Dram - I had some of this out at a restaurant and it was freaking delicious.  Been hunting a bottle ever since.
Apologies for replying to myself but I was out running an errand for my wife earlier today and met my friend over at the store where I got the Stagg Jr.  We went in and the owner was in there.  We strike up a conversation with the guy and eventually I tell him I got the Stagg Jr. the week before.  He's talking us up and explaining how he runs the store.  Quick aside - I had already told my friend that this may be one of the best liquor stores in the state and definitely the best one in the closest 3 counties.  Anyway, he basically says that he doesn't put any of his allocated stuff out - keeps it all for his regulars.  Totally fair in my opinion, but was a little surprised he sold me the Stagg.  Literally the 2nd time I had stopped in the place and I've never seen the guy.  So, 20 minutes later we are still talking - super friendly guy.  He asks what we are looking for - I'm honest and say I'm looking for a lot of stuff most people are but I'm still kind of new to bourbon "collecting" and one I want to get is the Midwinter.  He immediately says, oh we had it but it sold out - I ask him if he got it recently and he said no, back in September.  It's supposed to be coming out or has dropped recently.  He's adamant it's September - I just say, I heard it was coming out in December and let it go.  Now I'm thinking he was testing me.  10 more minutes go by and I'm feeling bad taking up so much of his time.  Finally, he says - I'm going to hook you up.  He goes in to the back - he's gone for like 10 minutes.  We start thinking he forgot about us and next thing I know he walks up - hands me the bottle of Midwinter's Night Dram and he hands my friend the EH Taylor Barrel Proof.  He then starts telling us about all the allocated stuff he gets - repeatedly talking about how his regulars text him and he holds it all for them or is willing to sell to someone who really wants it - frequently has folks from other states drive to his store.  I now have his name and number and none of you suckers are getting it.

In case anybody is wondering Midwinter was $109;  EHT BP was $150.

Apologies for replying to myself but I was out running an errand for my wife earlier today and met my friend over at the store where I got the Stagg Jr.  We went in and the owner was in there.  We strike up a conversation with the guy and eventually I tell him I got the Stagg Jr. the week before.  He's talking us up and explaining how he runs the store.  Quick aside - I had already told my friend that this may be one of the best liquor stores in the state and definitely the best one in the closest 3 counties.  Anyway, he basically says that he doesn't put any of his allocated stuff out - keeps it all for his regulars.  Totally fair in my opinion, but was a little surprised he sold me the Stagg.  Literally the 2nd time I had stopped in the place and I've never seen the guy.  So, 20 minutes later we are still talking - super friendly guy.  He asks what we are looking for - I'm honest and say I'm looking for a lot of stuff most people are but I'm still kind of new to bourbon "collecting" and one I want to get is the Midwinter.  He immediately says, oh we had it but it sold out - I ask him if he got it recently and he said no, back in September.  It's supposed to be coming out or has dropped recently.  He's adamant it's September - I just say, I heard it was coming out in December and let it go.  Now I'm thinking he was testing me.  10 more minutes go by and I'm feeling bad taking up so much of his time.  Finally, he says - I'm going to hook you up.  He goes in to the back - he's gone for like 10 minutes.  We start thinking he forgot about us and next thing I know he walks up - hands me the bottle of Midwinter's Night Dram and he hands my friend the EH Taylor Barrel Proof.  He then starts telling us about all the allocated stuff he gets - repeatedly talking about how his regulars text him and he holds it all for them or is willing to sell to someone who really wants it - frequently has folks from other states drive to his store.  I now have his name and number and none of you suckers are getting it.

In case anybody is wondering Midwinter was $109;  EHT BP was $150.
I would do very bad things for the EHT BP.

1. Daily drinker- your go to for enjoying your daily bourbon: Basil Hayden's. I'm a big fan of ryes, and this is a rye-heavy whiskey. It's also low-proof (80) so it goes down easy and doesn't get me all monkey-faced too quickly. I love this stuff.
  2. Impress your guests - fancy but not too fancy: I know you specify "bourbon," but I'm really into Scotch lately. Macallan 18 doesn't quite fit the "not too fancy," but I love having a bottle of this on hand to pour for guests.
  3. Cheap mixer (and for guests you know won’t appreciate it): Maker's Mark. Everyone knows Makers. The hand-dipped bottles are still cool. And it's good enough where I can allow someone to add coke to it and I can pour myself a glass and drink it neat.
  4. Something great- your Friday night bourbon: Willett Rye is one of my favs and I always seem to have it on hand. There's nothing better than settling in and pouring four fingers of this stuff into my Blade Runner whiskey glass and flipping on a movie.
  5. Special occasion bottle - saving this for a special occasion: The Boss Hogg V (https://whistlepigwhiskey.com/whiskeys/the-boss-hog-v-the-spirit-of-mauve-2018/). My wife gave me this for Father's Day a couple years back and the bottle is about half gone. It is absolutely fantastic. I give anyone who wants it a very small taste, but I am saving the rest for something big.

1. Buffalo Trace 

2. Blantons

3. Makers

4. Eagle Rare

5. Stagg Jr 

A couple notes:

1.  I think everyone chose Blanton's as their impress your guests.  Thought that was cool.  It's good stuff.  

2.  For daily drinkers, I completely forgot since I'm out...Woodford Wheat is insanely good.  I'm a big wheat guy though.  It's a wheated Whiskey, not enough corn to be bourbon.  But delicious.  A place in town has it for 34$, a lot of places have it at 40.  

Barrel Proof Night!

1st Glass:  Elijah Craig Barrel Proof

2nd Glass:  Stagg Jr.

3rd Glass:  Rare Breed (Wild Turkey)

Not kidding when I say this.  The Rare Breed was the best.  But, it was also the 3rd glass.  I'd better reverse the order tomorrow night to make sure.

Users who are viewing this thread