What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bourbon guys (2 Viewers)

There are a few that go for $300+ on the secondary market. I didn't think about it before I sent him in, but I would have probably judged him a bit if he poured Elijah Craig 18 or similar without asking. Although they are on the shelf to drink. 

Buffalo Trace is a good call. He poured a 4 roses single barrel. I thought that was a solid choice. 
Great choice.

I'll either need you to explain this or Google it.  I do have the low-end Bushmills in my collection.  That's literally the only other bottle of Irish I have other than the Blue Spot.  It's just meh - nothing to it.  Not offensive at all but just very basic.  I realize based on the price point that I wasn't getting anything great.

Good question and I should have mentioned I was probably looking in the $25-50 range.  Since I have the Blue Spot I don't want to shell out much more just yet.  I realize Blue Spot won't be a prototypical Irish so maybe something that would fit that category.  I've had bottles of Jameson in the past and liked them just fine.
Teeling if you can find it should be in the $40 range. They make some really good stuff IMO that is a little different from the traditional Jameson, Bushmills, and Redbreast flavor profiles. 

I like Tullamore Dew a great deal.  So do my in-laws once I brought it to Christmas.  Very accessible.
My wife is a Jameson snob. She ONLY like Jameson. But she drinks it with ginger ale. I tried to get her to try Tullamore Dew. Told her it is basically the same thing. She was like "I LIKE Jameson". I reminded her she mixes it. Didn't end well.  :wall:

Teeling if you can find it should be in the $40 range. They make some really good stuff IMO that is a little different from the traditional Jameson, Bushmills, and Redbreast flavor profiles. 
I have drank a fair bit of Teeling in Ireland. I don't think I have ever had it stateside. 

My fiancée invited her friend over for drinks on the deck this weekend. Her friend brought her new husband. We have met him once before. I didn't do it on purpose, but I put him through a bit of a test. He told me he was a Bourbon drinker. I said go in and pour yourself a drink from the Bourbon shelf. Our shelf is packed with 20+ options ranging from swill to mix with coke to some really expensive bottles. 

What do you do in this situation?
I’m just getting started with bourbon but I’d probably start with something not too expensive but also not overly common. You want one that will get you the offer to try the good stuff later.

My fiancée invited her friend over for drinks on the deck this weekend. Her friend brought her new husband. We have met him once before. I didn't do it on purpose, but I put him through a bit of a test. He told me he was a Bourbon drinker. I said go in and pour yourself a drink from the Bourbon shelf. Our shelf is packed with 20+ options ranging from swill to mix with coke to some really expensive bottles. 

I would pour a glass of best juice with decent quantity in it, maybe mention anything I might have wanted to try but appeared low, and have an eye on followup commenting I couldn't pass up the Wellers? Elmer? especially since I know it will go well with the Eagle Rare/OGD 114 or some such I brought as dinner gift.

Cracked open Wilderness Trail single barrel BiB, and Widow Jane 10 year this eve. WT seems like it will be a nice sipper, Widow Jane will be great for my female bourbon loving friends I think. Followed up with an Ezra Brooks 53.5, Binny's select I powered through with  Q tonic ginger high balls loI to  decide if I might want to grab another. 

Think I might reup on the Wilderness, partly to have a limited quality release, numbered of 260 on hand. Sweet mash so I need to taste test more in a week or so to see if it is in my wheelhouse or mainly a guest offering.

Ezra I enjoyed the slow hot finish , prolly grab another unless I find something I have been looking for.  Think it might be a nice summer juice. Pour a nice pour over ice, take a drink, then top with ginger or lemonade once or twice. Maybe a neat to wind down haha. 

Either identify something mid-range (under $80) that I haven't tried and would like to or, if I can not or am not sure, fire off a, "Cowboy, I generally enjoy BT, EC, Eagle Rare, Russel's, Booker's, and Four Roses SB. I don't want to drink your expensive stuff, but I'd love to try something new. What would you recommend?"

I always start mid tier ish.... wait for the invite for something more exotic. 

That said, If I have it on my main bar when a guest is over, it's fair game. If you're an aficionado or I like ya, I'm picking your brain then digging into the cabinet for more exotic stuff I think you'll like. 

So, I'm a big dumb Bourbon newb with a couple big dumb Bourbon questions.

I've never ventured any further than mixing Bourbon/Whiskey with Diet Coke.  Usually Southern Comfort, Jack, whatever was cheap.  I'm now at a point where I would like to venture into drinking Bourbon neat.  So, I've done a little research and began the process of breaking my weak ### in(foreshadowing).

So, the first bottle I thought would be appropriate was an Evan Williams, bottled in Bond.  100 proof.  Burnt my eyeballs out.  Researched a little more and realized that going straight to 100 proof was probably a big part of my mistake.  So, went back tonight and picked up some Old Forester, 86 proof.  Still burnt my eyeballs out.

This obviously has me wondering.  Am I just needing to power through?  Will it eventually simmer down some?  Am I picking the wrong stuff to start out with?  I'll watch these videos where these dudes take big chugs and go on 5 minute  diatribes describing every flavor that hits their mouth.  I want to be able to join the refined old man group, but I'm thinking not being able to get in the Bourbon program is going to be a problem.

I've never ventured any further than mixing Bourbon/Whiskey with Diet Coke.  Usually Southern Comfort, Jack, whatever was cheap.  I'm now at a point where I would like to venture into drinking Bourbon neat.  So, I've done a little research and began the process of breaking my weak ### in(foreshadowing).

So, the first bottle I thought would be appropriate was an Evan Williams, bottled in Bond.  100 proof.  Burnt my eyeballs out.  Researched a little more and realized that going straight to 100 proof was probably a big part of my mistake.  So, went back tonight and picked up some Old Forester, 86 proof.  Still burnt my eyeballs out.

This obviously has me wondering.  Am I just needing to power through?  Will it eventually simmer down some?  Am I picking the wrong stuff to start out with?  I'll watch these videos where these dudes take big chugs and go on 5 minute  diatribes describing every flavor that hits their mouth.  I want to be able to join the refined old man group, but I'm thinking not being able to get in the Bourbon program is going to be a problem.
You can try adding a bit of water. Especially with high proof. If you are looking for something smoother maybe look for something with more time in the barrell or something that has a bit more sweetness. Pandemic makes this harder, but look for somewhere doing tastings after things open up. It is tough investing in bottles you don't know. 

As fir a recommendation for entry level with some drinkability: Woodford might be a good fit 

You can try adding a bit of water. Especially with high proof. If you are looking for something smoother maybe look for something with more time in the barrell or something that has a bit more sweetness. Pandemic makes this harder, but look for somewhere doing tastings after things open up. It is tough investing in bottles you don't know. 

As fir a recommendation for entry level with some drinkability: Woodford might be a good fit 
Woodford double oaked was my next choice, but the $52 price tag versus $20 for the O.F. scared me off.

If everything is too hot, try Basil Hayden's. It's overpriced but inoffensive. 

Woodford double oaked was my next choice, but the $52 price tag versus $20 for the O.F. scared me off.
I spent up when I started getting into bourbon. There are 15 pours in a 750. A 90 dollar bottle is less than you’d pay per drink at a bar. I probably still couldn’t drink JD neat.

ETA: picked up a JD SB rye to replace the one my wife gave away and a Michters Sour Mash.

Last edited by a moderator:

Second putting some water or an ice cube in your pour.  Definitely start lower if 100 too much.  But any proof bourbon can be lowered by adding water - that’s essentially all they do.       Higher proof usually means more flavor if you can stand it.  You will get there - years ago I had issues with higher proof but now barrel proof or cask strength is my favorite.

I think this is the lineup we have right now:

• Jameson Cask Mates Stout Edition
  • Powers Three Swallow
  • Tullamore Dew Cider Cask
  • Bushmills
  • Blue Spot
  • Redbreast 12 CS
So this was no contest as the Blue Spot and Redbreast Cask Strength were far superior to everything else.  Not surprising.  Not certain which I liked better as they were very different.   The Redbreast seemed like a standard Irish on steroids but the Blue Spot was just unique and outstanding.  I’d probably vote Blue Spot as I like finished whiskeys and this one is so good.  I can’t say I necessarily love it over some of the bourbons and ryes I have but it’s pretty fantastic- very pleased with the purchase. 

Hey dudes, has the ABC vault opened for anyone recently?  I don't think it's opened for me in 4/5 months, i'm kinda new to it so don't know if that's normal.  Itching for a shot at BTAC for less than $700.

$80 for 750ml I would hope so and I bet it is.  I do occasionally like to sip a little vermouth but haven’t done it in a while.  
Yeah,  it's not for everyone. AndI've never mixed it with anything.

I mentioned to Genedoc, who is industry and used to post here, that I was going there for a tasting. He said, "Buy all the vermouth they will sell you." He was right.

Their wines are very good and show up on high end restaurant wine lists. The winemaker/owner is pretty well regarded. I'm a wine drinker, yet I was blown away by the vermouth. 

I like Tullamore Dew a great deal.  So do my in-laws once I brought it to Christmas.  Very accessible.
So our boat pulls in to Milwaukee and I go to a soccer bar that opens up at 5:30 for the games. Behind the bar is the hottest chick I’ve ever seen in my life working and she is in the states for a year on tullamore’s dew dime to gain experience in the bar scene. I asked her why she didn’t go to LA or New York and she said because Milwaukee is the drinking capital of the US. I kid you not she was super model gorgeous And she gave me several free drinks of tullamore dew at 7 am :oldunsure:   :bag:  

Hey dudes, has the ABC vault opened for anyone recently?  I don't think it's opened for me in 4/5 months, i'm kinda new to it so don't know if that's normal.  Itching for a shot at BTAC for less than $700.
Yes, on 02/24 for me.  I was a little slow getting in (9 minutes) but there was really nothing great there.  No BTAC.  A 10 year Pappy that was sold out.  Some Weller 12. A bunch of store barrel picks like M46 that have no business in the Vault. I grabbed a Midwinter Night's Dram but didn't feel great about spending a Vault opening on it.  But I like to get something new each time if I can before I stock up on stuff like Weller 12.

I spent up when I started getting into bourbon. There are 15 pours in a 750. A 90 dollar bottle is less than you’d pay per drink at a bar. I probably still couldn’t drink JD neat.

ETA: picked up a JD SB rye to replace the one my wife gave away and a Michters Sour Mash.
Glad you got it replaced but I assume the divorce will go forward on principle.

I had that Sour Mash for the first time this weekend - it wasn’t bad.  Kind of hard to say what I liked about it.  I probably won’t go seeking it out but it’s more than passable as something have in your collection.

Was that the special release rye?  How the hell did she give it away without discussing it??

Revisited the ECBP A121 last night - it opened up some and was even better than the neck pour.  Just outstanding and is still in the conversation for best value in bourbon, IMO.

I had that Sour Mash for the first time this weekend - it wasn’t bad.  Kind of hard to say what I liked about it.  I probably won’t go seeking it out but it’s more than passable as something have in your collection.

Was that the special release rye?  How the hell did she give it away without discussing it??
We had a guy working on our sump pump and I had a 750 of JD black on top of the fridge from work. She asked me if she should tip the plumber and I told her to give him a bottle of JD.  Fault was mine, I should have been more specific. 

Picked up an Angel's Envy Finished Rye after striking out on a search for Clase Azul. Debating what to crack open next. The JD Rye makes a good Manhattan, but not sure I'd want to drink it neat. Starting in on a bottle of Dalmore 15 and may go with that for a bit.

Yes, on 02/24 for me.  I was a little slow getting in (9 minutes) but there was really nothing great there.  No BTAC.  A 10 year Pappy that was sold out.  Some Weller 12. A bunch of store barrel picks like M46 that have no business in the Vault. I grabbed a Midwinter Night's Dram but didn't feel great about spending a Vault opening on it.  But I like to get something new each time if I can before I stock up on stuff like Weller 12.
Dang, guess I’m losey loser from loserville, didn’t see it open for me.  On the plus side I just got into a secondary group, had to reopen my spacebook account.   So in addition to the hiked prices my cost is the relentless political posts from my 95 year old grandpa.  Super. Maybe I should get into tequila instead.  

Hope y’all enjoy a pour over some basketball this weekend if you’re so inclined.  Cheers.

So another couple asked my wife and I to go to a Bourbon Dinner tomorrow night.  I don't know much about bourbon, we are not bourbon drinkers, but the list of the bourbon includes Angel Envy Rye, Elmer T Lee, and Stagg Jr.  I am more of a beer drinker but was thinking about moving more towards bourbon.  I looked online and it looks like these are good bourbons(?) does anyone have opinions on the list provided?  

So another couple asked my wife and I to go to a Bourbon Dinner tomorrow night.  I don't know much about bourbon, we are not bourbon drinkers, but the list of the bourbon includes Angel Envy Rye, Elmer T Lee, and Stagg Jr.  I am more of a beer drinker but was thinking about moving more towards bourbon.  I looked online and it looks like these are good bourbons(?) does anyone have opinions on the list provided?  
All 3 of those are highly regarded.  AE is a finished rye and around $90-$100 a bottle - pretty easily found.  ETL is like $40-$50 retail but you’ll almost never find it for that, if you find it at all.  Batch 15 of Stagg Jr. will run you anywhere from $60-$100+ depending on your location and can be hit or miss on availability.  It’s pretty fantastic and would get my vote as favorite of the bunch.  It’s also 131.1 proof so be warned (other batches will be around 125-132 proof)  I’m assuming since your host knows bourbons he won’t start you out with the Stagg Jr.

Dang, guess I’m losey loser from loserville, didn’t see it open for me.  On the plus side I just got into a secondary group, had to reopen my spacebook account.   So in addition to the hiked prices my cost is the relentless political posts from my 95 year old grandpa.  Super. Maybe I should get into tequila instead.  

Hope y’all enjoy a pour over some basketball this weekend if you’re so inclined.  Cheers.
I haven't been able to figure out how they actually do the openings. And I know for sure not everyone gets invited at the same time. I've compared notes with other members and we all seem to eventually get the same number of openings but at different times. And they don't coordinate the openings around annual releases like BTAC either.

@Fantasy_Freak - you may want to proof things down with a little water if you aren’t a regular whiskey drinker.  Even 90 proof is hot if you never drink whiskey and the 130+ will blow up your palate.
Thanks for your feedback.  By water it down would that be through ice or just water?  I am definitively interested in trying these to see the differences.  Again I appreciate your input. 

Thanks for your feedback.  By water it down would that be through ice or just water?  I am definitively interested in trying these to see the differences.  Again I appreciate your input. 
Either works. 

Ice will mute flavors by dropping temps, and by adding water / reducing proof. 

Just adding water will keep more flavors intact but still reduce the proof...reducing ethanol burn and allowing other flavors to come forward. 

Try both and see how you like it. 130 proof is indeed going to overpower most palates until you're used to it. 

So we did our latest round of Zoom blinds last night.  Category was Wheaters.  Lineup was:

• Weller Special Reserve
  • 1792 Sweet Wheat
  • Maker's Mark 46
  • Larceny SB
Anybody care to guess the rankings of the group?

To give a little context - there were 5 of us doing the blind.  One couple sent out the samples - the husband picked the category, the wife picked the bottles and poured them so the husband didn't know anything but the category.  The other 3 of us knew nothing other than it was whiskey.

Users who are viewing this thread