What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bourbon guys (4 Viewers)

Was able to try the Whistlepig 12 year old world rye last night at a friend's home ... pretty smooth for a rye (86 proof), a fun one to try w/ the different barrel types.

Preparing for a move, having some of my whiskey-loving friends over to 'kill my bottles' (all the opened ones).  Blantons, Weller A107, Wild Turkey Rare Breed, Henry McKenna, EH Taylor SB, and an Old Forester barrel pick will be the highlights.  Making some cocktails as well. Should be a good time 🙂

Boulder Toads said:
Was able to try the Whistlepig 12 year old world rye last night at a friend's home ... pretty smooth for a rye (86 proof), a fun one to try w/ the different barrel types.

Preparing for a move, having some of my whiskey-loving friends over to 'kill my bottles' (all the opened ones).  Blantons, Weller A107, Wild Turkey Rare Breed, Henry McKenna, EH Taylor SB, and an Old Forester barrel pick will be the highlights.  Making some cocktails as well. Should be a good time 🙂
I had a "kill the bar" party when we left Houston. Ooof.  I can still feel that hangover. We were still deep in the poker scene then so no shortage of degens at that party. Ooof.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm amazed by you fellas that have 20+ open bottles. Do you remember the flavor profile of each of them?
I have a bottle of WhistlePig OWR for neat, a bottle of JD Rye for Manhattans and a bottle of Makers Mark for Paper Planes and I'm confused half the time as to what I want. I'd just stand there for two hours thinking at your place.

Some awesome bottles in the bars that have been posted. Keep 'em coming.

I'm amazed by you fellas that have 20+ open bottles. Do you remember the flavor profile of each of them?
I have a bottle of WhistlePig OWR for neat, a bottle of JD Rye for Manhattans and a bottle of Makers Mark for Paper Planes and I'm confused half the time as to what I want. I'd just stand there for two hours thinking at your place.

Some awesome bottles in the bars that have been posted. Keep 'em coming.
I do. But I'm also terrible at finishing bottles.  It drives my wife crazy.  I like to keep them around to have a good variety for visitors to taste. For example, it's fun to compare the three different Blanton's or Stagg Jr. Vs. Stagg, or EH Taylor Single vs. SB, or all Wellers but I can't do that if I don't have them all.

I do. But I'm also terrible at finishing bottles.  It drives my wife crazy.  I like to keep them around to have a good variety for visitors to taste. For example, it's fun to compare the three different Blanton's or Stagg Jr. Vs. Stagg, or EH Taylor Single vs. SB, or all Wellers but I can't do that if I don't have them all.
Same here - I like the idea of a "collection" but I'm not collecting stuff to not drink it.  I think I have 80+ bottles and maybe 5-7 aren't open.  I don't have a lot of duplicates and I like to try what I buy but agree that having them to do flights or side by side comparisons. 

I find myself trying to balance the level of some bottles to make them last. 

Received a bottle of Kentucky Owl Confiscated from a gb ... have heard a bit about it, but never seen a bottle in the wild or tried it myself.  Anyone here tasted this one?  Appears to be marketed as a more premium bottle, I really appreciate the gift.

Nice. Which I had the shelf space to be that organized.
SAME! Next house will have an study with ample space for whiskey and guns. 

No point.  @[icon]'s gonna run this.
:lol:  my standard bar setup is rather thin as the GF only lets me keep about 8 bottles out to minimize clutter. I get it, though. 

The rest are in a cabinet in the kitchen, or in cases in the back of the master closet :unsure:  

I do get a decent setup out when hosting, though. 

DAMN nice.... both setup and selection. Good range and some heavy hitters. I really really wish I could get into rum. I just can't. 

This. 

Seeing this thread reminded me of something that happened to me this winter during COVID... We've had it hit pretty hard around us. Lost some people we know, my oldest son and family had it... My youngest son had it in my house.. Needless to say, it was on my mind a lot. I think it was early January, just after my sons had had it and I had managed to avoid all the covid bullets flying around me... I started to get a sore throat. And a bit of a cough. It persisted for like 2 weeks. Of course the first thing I thought was "OMG COVID!!!!" but alas, that was not it. Tested negative. As this continued on my mind started to speculate. WTF WAS WRONG WITH ME?? Then I came to the conclusion in my head - "DAMMIT! I MUST HAVE DRANK TOO MANY OF THESE STRONG BOURBONS AND BURNED THE LINING OFF MY THROAT. PROBABLY THROAT CANCER!!! WHY DID I START THAT BOURBON THREAD ON FBGS????"  :lmao:

Then it went away like 2 days after I had that thought. It was kind of a long year for everyone I guess.

I really really wish I could get into rum. I just can't. 
Rum is tough. It suffers from the rum and coke reputation and there is a lot of chicanery in the rum world. So many of the "spiced", "black", etc. rums are loaded with adjuncts and sweeteners.  But if you can sort through the chaff there are many good "just aged" rums out there.  I think it helps to spend some extended time in the Caribbean.  I always enjoyed some rums in my travels, and frankly I'm not above a rum and coke, but it really clicked for me in Cuba with the real Cuban Havana Club and Santiago rums. Lots going on with those as far as depth of flavor and unique characteristics, similar to bourbon. I always recommend to folks in the US to start with a simple 7 year Flor de Cana and go from there. It's kind of the Maker's of rum.

Rum is tough. It suffers from the rum and coke reputation and there is a lot of chicanery in the rum world. So many of the "spiced", "black", etc. rums are loaded with adjuncts and sweeteners.  But if you can sort through the chaff there are many good "just aged" rums out there.  I think it helps to spend some extended time in the Caribbean.  I always enjoyed some rums in my travels, and frankly I'm not above a rum and coke, but it really clicked for me in Cuba with the real Cuban Havana Club and Santiago rums. Lots going on with those as far as depth of flavor and unique characteristics, similar to bourbon. I always recommend to folks in the US to start with a simple 7 year Flor de Cana and go from there. It's kind of the Maker's of rum.
Ever have any of the Zacapa Rum's, or know much about them? I'm going to Guatemala in a month and am wondering if any are hard to find here in the U.S. or which would be top of the list to bring back.

Ever have any of the Zacapa Rum's, or know much about them? I'm going to Guatemala in a month and am wondering if any are hard to find here in the U.S. or which would be top of the list to bring back.
Yes.  I have a bottle of the 23.  It is a good rum, but in a higher price category than it should be. In a blind taste test I would peg it as a really good 10-12 year product.  Or even a younger really great rum like an HC7. But they market it as a "23 Solera" at a higher price.  The 23 is misleading as they use the "Solera" method which basically means they create a blend of all age rums and then use the number of the oldest rum. It isn't an age statement but it is clearly intended to look like it is. I believe all of their rums are this way.  So, while it is a good rum in kinda falls into my "chicanery" category that I think hurts rum.

I believe all of their US products are Solera.  I have not been to Guatemala but I would love to learn if they offer different products there for the local market. I would be surprised if they didn't offer some younger rums for locals that aren't blended. Unless they are strictly export.  Please, let us know!

Ron Swanson said:
Good info here.  Thank you for that sir.

I've tried a range of them from buddies who enjoy it... Pyrat, Flor de Cana.. never had Havana Club though.

I just can't get into it. Just too sweet for me. I don't generally like finished bourbons either though.  

Finally found a JD Special Release Rye in the wild - they wanted $300.  F that. 
Wow... yeah looks like Secondary is $250-260 and climbing on these. Glad I grabbed a few because no way I'd pay that. 

Side note, just sold a 2020 WLW for $1600. No way I'm opening it for that...especially when I already have 5 open. 

Barrell Seagrass hit Atlanta this week - grabbed a bottle last night.  Also grabbed a Barrell store pick I’ve been eyeing for weeks.  Canadian rye - 14 years, 134.88 proof.  Can’t wait to try that one.

Trying to put together a tasting slate for some friends tonight, thought I'd see if the pros in here have any thoughts, @[icon]@Ron Swanson @AAABatteries et al.

My options on hand are a little limited compared to home (we're at our Chicago apt right now):

• Angel's Envy
  • High West American Prairie
  • High West Rendezvous Rye
  • Booker's
  • Bulleit 95 Rye
  • Heaven Hill Old Style (Green label)
  • Johnnie Walker Black Label
  • Ardbeg An Oa
  • Macallan Edition No 3 (my all time favorite whiskey of all whiskeys)
  • Bulleit 10-yr
  • Basil Hayden's
  • Knob Creek Single Barrel (my favorite bourbon)
  • Blanton's SFTB

I'm thinking 3 tastes, then everyone can have a more normal glass of either their favorite or something else on the shelf. It's a mix of people who are roughly my level of whiskey (amateur with some knowledge) and some who are new. So I'm thinking two sets:

One, for new to whiskey: Basil Hayden's, Johnnie Walker, Bulleit Rye

Two, for more whiskey drinker profile: American Prairie, Bulleit 10-year, Booker's

Guess I'm really just looking for some validation or feedback. Idea being a bourbon, a scotch, and a rye for those trying things out, and a bourbon flight for those who know what whiskey is and such.

For newbies I like the idea of trying one of each to see what they like.  I would say go low proof to high proof and typically I would do an Irish or Scotch (that isn’t heavily peated) then Bourbon then Rye.  Don’t do that Ardbeg first, IMO.  But I’m not a peat guy so I’m biased.

Maybe pair a bourbon/rye from same distiller for the contrast?  Like:

JW Black, Buliett bourbon then rye (or the two HW)

The Macallans and Blantons are the special bottles - leave them out of the lineup, IMO and maybe explain why they are special.

I need a fan to sleep but I don`t want a quiet one.  The fan in our bedroom logs over 3000 hours a year. 

Have had the same brand "Lasko" last 3 years, or burn out after 1 year.  Cost around 25.00. So cheap is good on this one.

Blender:   I make protein shakes almost every day.  Went though a cheap blender every year.   Did not want to spend 400 on a Vita-mix but bought a Ninja at Costco for 149.00 instead of a 40 dollar one from Kohls..  Well worth it.  Have had it over 5 years now and does pretty much the same as a Vita-mix.

Trying to put together a tasting slate for some friends tonight, thought I'd see if the pros in here have any thoughts, @[icon]@Ron Swanson @AAABatteries et al.

My options on hand are a little limited compared to home (we're at our Chicago apt right now):

• Angel's Envy
  • High West American Prairie
  • High West Rendezvous Rye
  • Booker's
  • Bulleit 95 Rye
  • Heaven Hill Old Style (Green label)
  • Johnnie Walker Black Label
  • Ardbeg An Oa
  • Macallan Edition No 3 (my all time favorite whiskey of all whiskeys)
  • Bulleit 10-yr
  • Basil Hayden's
  • Knob Creek Single Barrel (my favorite bourbon)
  • Blanton's SFTB

I'm thinking 3 tastes, then everyone can have a more normal glass of either their favorite or something else on the shelf. It's a mix of people who are roughly my level of whiskey (amateur with some knowledge) and some who are new. So I'm thinking two sets:

One, for new to whiskey: Basil Hayden's, Johnnie Walker, Bulleit Rye

Two, for more whiskey drinker profile: American Prairie, Bulleit 10-year, Booker's

Guess I'm really just looking for some validation or feedback. Idea being a bourbon, a scotch, and a rye for those trying things out, and a bourbon flight for those who know what whiskey is and such.
I may be an outlier here, but I would not mix the tastings of scotch, bourbon, and rye even though they are all whiskeys.  They are so unique that I think it makes differentiating between the options in each category much harder. Too much for all but the very best palates to keep up with.

I may be an outlier here, but I would not mix the tastings of scotch, bourbon, and rye even though they are all whiskeys.  They are so unique that I think it makes differentiating between the options in each category much harder. Too much for all but the very best palates to keep up with.
I don’t necessarily disagree but it really depends on the group and the “goal” of the evening.  I’ve done tastings with a whiskey event group where a decent number of people are newbies and they do one of each but everything is low-ish proof and without a lot of flavors that will your palate.  That’s why I suggested JW and then lower proof bourbon then rye.  It seemed like Instinctive wanted that kind of setup to let people sample different styles.

I would actually argue that it’s easier for a relatively new to whiskey person to distinguish  between the types easier than all the same type. If you give me an Irish, Scotch, Bourbon and Rye I’m going to get 3 or 4 “right” if I’m guessing the type.

Again - it’s all about what you are trying to do - main thing is have fun and don’t waste those two premium bottles on a goober.  

Unless the goal is to explore a range of whiskeys, agreed with avoiding Mixing bourbon/rye with scotch/Irish. Japanese is a wild card and could go either way but most lean toward scotch/Irish range. 

the more refined the palate, the tighter the variances can be: 

Noobs:
This is rye, this is low proof bourbon, this is high proof bourbon, this is wheater. 

Hobbyists:
Here are some 10yr bourbons from BT, HH, Dickel, etc. 

Expert: 
Lets try some four roses.... here's all the OBSX mashbills to compare. 

Pretty much anything besides scotch 
Some I’d consider:

Bourbon: One of the Old Fitz, WT Masters Keep, One of the Rhetorics (because I’ll never buy a bottle), maybe the Joseph Rat Pack

Rye: Kentucky Owl, WT Cornerstone (probably the one I would get if I could just choose one), High West Yippie Ki-Yay

Note - I’ve not had any of the above but all ones I’ve wanted to try.  If you are looking for first hand recommendations then I’d go with:

Bourbon -  EHT BP, EC BP and Stagg Jr. are all really good but attainable

Rye - Midwinters (maybe my favorite finished rye), I’ve had all the Whistlepigs and don’t think paying for the 12 or 15 is worth the price (store pick my change my mind) - the 10 is pretty awesome 

And if you haven’t had it - the Red Breast 12 cask strength is great.  They are doing a NAS version now so it maybe hard to find a bottle so may be worth trying.

Going here in a week, any good rarities I should try?  Probably won’t splurge on any $50 pours but will do some mid range stuff 

I’m sure it’s overpriced but it’s a tourist town so it is what it is

https://imgur.com/gallery/59H8f4l
EHT Small Batch at $8 is the bargain of that list for sure.  If you haven't had Stagg, $40 is a little high but it will be transformative for you. If you do decide to shoot the lock off the wallet, the WLW is the way to go.

EHT Small Batch at $8 is the bargain of that list for sure.  If you haven't had Stagg, $40 is a little high but it will be transformative for you. If you do decide to shoot the lock off the wallet, the WLW is the way to go.
I’ve been meaning to make a spreadsheet with .5, 1, 1.5 and 2 oz pour prices at MSRP and secondary.  Maybe if I get bored this week.

The timing of discussing bar setups couldn't have come at a better time. I just bought a new house with an unfinished basement, and we're almost finished with finishing it now. My wife has given me a 10 ft wall to make into my "dry bar" area, as there's no water access. Our original thought was a smaller cabinet for glasses (wine/rocks/pilsner) as we're mainly wine/bourbon/beer drinkers. So most of the space will be dedicated to bourbon/wine display. 

Question is, what shelving setup do you guys recommend? Our original thought was three levels of glass shelves for the various lower/mid/top shelf bottles.  What depth of shelves should I look for? A lot of the shelves I see online are 3 ft long, is 6 ft per shelf long enough?  Essentially if you had 10 ft width and 4 ft depth, ceiling is 8 ft 6in, to work with to design your ideal liquor/wine display, what would you do with it?  What height would you put your shelving?  Should I put a front "wall/barrier" on the front of the shelves, or is an open shelf more ideal without the need to lift the bottles over it?

The timing of discussing bar setups couldn't have come at a better time. I just bought a new house with an unfinished basement, and we're almost finished with finishing it now. My wife has given me a 10 ft wall to make into my "dry bar" area, as there's no water access. Our original thought was a smaller cabinet for glasses (wine/rocks/pilsner) as we're mainly wine/bourbon/beer drinkers. So most of the space will be dedicated to bourbon/wine display. 

Question is, what shelving setup do you guys recommend? Our original thought was three levels of glass shelves for the various lower/mid/top shelf bottles.  What depth of shelves should I look for? A lot of the shelves I see online are 3 ft long, is 6 ft per shelf long enough?  Essentially if you had 10 ft width and 4 ft depth, ceiling is 8 ft 6in, to work with to design your ideal liquor/wine display, what would you do with it?  What height would you put your shelving?  Should I put a front "wall/barrier" on the front of the shelves, or is an open shelf more ideal without the need to lift the bottles over it?
A couple comments from experience.

1)  Make sure you anchor the shelves really well.  Situating it so you can line up the brackets with your wall studs is important. And use strong brackets!  All that liquor gets very heavy.

2) Glass is a pain to keep clean. I would avoid it for shelving. The bottles will have to be dusted a few times a year but no getting around that.

3) Make sure you make the space between the shelves and/or ceiling at least 14" to accommodate tall bottles.  I erred and made my top shelf only 12" to the ceiling so some of my "top shelf" bottles have to reside on the lower shelf.

4) If you have collector tendencies, make it bigger than you think you will need. Then fill it up and wish you had made it bigger.

Good luck and have fun with it!

A couple comments from experience.

1)  Make sure you anchor the shelves really well.  Situating it so you can line up the brackets with your wall studs is important. And use strong brackets!  All that liquor gets very heavy.

2) Glass is a pain to keep clean. I would avoid it for shelving. The bottles will have to be dusted a few times a year but no getting around that.

3) Make sure you make the space between the shelves and/or ceiling at least 14" to accommodate tall bottles.  I erred and made my top shelf only 12" to the ceiling so some of my "top shelf" bottles have to reside on the lower shelf.

4) If you have collector tendencies, make it bigger than you think you will need. Then fill it up and wish you had made it bigger.

Good luck and have fun with it!
This is great advice, thanks! I had planned on 12 inches and didn't even consider the height of some bottles, good call out.  And good point on the glass shelves, I hate cleaning as is.

Enjoy my bourbon but usually stay within my faves......recd as a gift 2 bottes Ive never tried - 

Rabbit Hole - Dareringer

Calumet -14 yr

seem like nice bottles - anyone tried before to give me a scouting report?  

Users who are viewing this thread