What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bourbon guys (2 Viewers)

Gotta ask:

Wth is Pappy doing that justifies that sort of price point bump?  Is it really that much better, or is it just that it's the best on the market, and people will pay a lot more for the best?

editing in advance to add that Woodford is my go to at the high end, based on quality/price.   Disparage if you wish.

I bought a bottle of that last year and didn't love it at first.  It is different.  But it grew on me quite a bit and I was sad when the bottle was empty.  I need to grab another bottle at some point....
I was not a fan of Basil Hayden. It tasted too smoky to me but everyone has different tastes. You have to try each of these to know if you like them. 

Gotta ask:

Wth is Pappy doing that justifies that sort of price point bump?  Is it really that much better, or is it just that it's the best on the market, and people will pay a lot more for the best?

editing in advance to add that Woodford is my go to at the high end, based on quality/price.   Disparage if you wish.
I'm not going to argue about the Woodford. It is a fine bourbon and in my top 5 go to bourbons. I'm sitting on an unopened bottle that will be shared at a holiday party on Monday.  

Bulleit Rye is probably my favorite "go to" drink right now.  It's not too expensive and pretty awesome.  I don't feel regret if I end up driniking a little too much and end up with an empy bottle of it.  Unlike when I thought the Indians were going to win the world series after Davis tied it up in game 7.  I was already lit and grabbed my bottle of E. H. Taylor SIngle Barrel and was drinking it straight from the bottle in celebration.  Not only did the Indians end up losing, but I was drinking bourbon that I can't find locally out the bottle.   :bag:
I love some Bulleit Rye. I live in an ABC state without many available Rye's at all, but Bulleit and Dickel both hit the spot at a nice price. Everything else also seems to be MGP stuff at varying prices, except maybe Whistle Pig (but I can't afford $80 bottles). More and more, I'm finding I think might just like a nice MGP Rye over a most Bourbons.

I miss WT 101 Rye pretty badly. It was so delicious and a great value before the Rye explosion that killed it. 81 Rye might be fine, but I won't try it. 

Anyone had Basil Hayden?  Almost picked it up the other day and went with my go-to instead (Woodford).
I really enjoy Basil Hayden.  Maybe because it was first real bourbon I tried, but it seems to suit me.   I have since begun to test the water on other bourbons, but almost always have a bottle of Basil Hayden on hand.

Enjoy and Happy Holidays!

Last edited by a moderator:
Gotta ask:

No... not even close IMO. 

If you ever find yourself with a bottle, find a local bar with it stocked and taste it before opening yours. 

@FatUncleJerryBuss just dropped some random Christmas kindness on me toward something I'm saving up for..... and I'm trying to pay it forward in a unique way... this idea just occurred to me. 

1) For someone who likes Eagle Rare 10yr bourbon but simply can't find it in their area for whatever reason. Speak up and I'll send you a bottle. First come first served. 

2) I've also been lucky enough to get a couple bottles of highly sought after Weller 12yr bourbon this year. I know many people have never tried it or Have never owned a bottle.... if that describes you, speak up.

The first 3 folks to respond with interest for the Weller 12 will be considered. I'll either let Cav pick the winner, or use random.org to decide. Either way I'll ship a full bottle to the winner and 2oz samples to the other two. 

Merry Christmas, fellas

@FatUncleJerryBuss just dropped some random Christmas kindness on me toward something I'm saving up for..... and I'm trying to pay it forward in a unique way... this idea just occurred to me. 

1) For someone who likes Eagle Rare 10yr bourbon but simply can't find it in their area for whatever reason. Speak up and I'll send you a bottle. First come first served. 

2) I've also been lucky enough to get a couple bottles of highly sought after Weller 12yr bourbon this year. I know many people have never tried it or Have never owned a bottle.... if that describes you, speak up.

The first 5 folks to respond will be considered. I'll either let Cav pick the winner, or use random.org to decide. Either way I'll ship a full bottle to the winner. 

Merry Christmas, fellas
Wow, That's incredibly cool of you.  I just recently got into bourbon and started reading this thread as well as a blog (Whiskey Jug) to find interesting bourbons to try.   I specifically remember reading about both of these (at different times).   I would love to try either of these.   I would be happy to check locally for any that you might want me to check for (whether I "win" or not).  I'm not currently in Nashville tho.   Anyway, big props to such a kind gesture and Merry Christmas to you as well! 

You Should be able to find eagle rare pretty easily in Nashville, but if you'd prefer to be sent that over being in the consideration for the Weller 12yr, you got it sir! Just let me know. Happy to help some folks get some goodies they may not be able to get otherwise. 

I really enjoy Basil Hayden.  Maybe because it was first real bourbon I tried, but it seems to suit me.   I have since begun to test the water on other bourbons, but almost always have a bottle of Basil Hayden on hand.

Enjoy and Happy Holidays!
Same here...it's one of my favorites.

go back to it often 

Have enjoyed Angels Envy, Evan Williams Single Barrel, Several of the WL Weller offerings.

You Should be able to find eagle rare pretty easily in Nashville, but if you'd prefer to be sent that over being in the consideration for the Weller 12yr, you got it sir! Just let me know. Happy to help some folks get some goodies they may not be able to get otherwise. 
Yeah...I find Eagle here often in Nashville.  

Cool of you doing that.

Dude!  For sure in for consideration of the Weller.  My favorite line but never had the 12 year.  Only Antique and Special Reserve.  If interested in experimenting with rums I have a couple of really good ones that I'd love to pay forward with that I think are tough to get outside of FL.  Most of the bourbon I get down here is pretty run of the mill.

Looks like @Rushmore can decide If he wants the ER or wants to find it locally and try for the W12. If he wants in for the w12 then the ER is still available to someone who might not be able to find it otherwise. 

Have @=Smackdown=, @ditka...mike ditka, and possibly @Ron Swanson in for the w12. 

@sho nuff, saw you as commenting but not actually throwing your name in... is that the case? 

Ill get the bottles and samples out Tuesday via FedEx so everyone will have them for NYE. :banned:  

Looks like @Rushmore can decide If he wants the ER or wants to find it locally and try for the W12. If he wants in for the w12 then the ER is still available to someone who might not be able to find it otherwise. 

Have @=Smackdown=, @ditka...mike ditka, and possibly @Ron Swanson in for the w12. 

@sho nuff, saw you as commenting but not actually throwing your name in... is that the case? 

Ill get the bottles and samples out Tuesday via FedEx so everyone will have them for NYE. :banned:  
Yeah...just commenting on...let other have a crack at these.  In pretty well stocked now and a trip to Wisconsin this week may bring me more.

I'll throw my hat in for the weller.  Maybe we can set up a chain where recipient resends to someone in the thread with something available locally but not widely distributed? 

Got access to ER here in VA so good on that front :)

[icon] said:

Confirming @Rushmore will get the ER10 since he's just getting started in the Bourbon game. 

@=Smackdown=, @ditka...mike ditka, @Ron Swanson Were the first 3 to respond for the Weller 12yr. 

@FatUncleJerryBuss, you care to choose the winner or shall randomize? 

Winner gets a 750ml and the other two will get 2oz sample to give it a shot. IF cav doesn't chime in by Tomm AM we will use  randomizer. 

This is all paying it forward from Cav's generousity last night. 

Cheers and good luck fellas. :banned:

Cheers to ICON for such a cool and kind gesture. :banned: .  The "pay it forward" thing is truly inspiring and was just talking to my girl about this tonight.    I will certainly post back after trying, and I am totally stoked to do so.   Merry Christmas fellas.  

The Elijah Craig Barrel Proof is really nice, rich and spicy. Thanks to @[icon] for the advice on cutting it. It came out just perfect. 
:thumbup:  

I certainly didnt create the technique but always happy to pass along things I've learned. Water often opens up some great flavors in barrel proof (BP) stuff

Confirming @Rushmore will get the ER10 since he's just getting started in the Bourbon game. 

@=Smackdown=, @ditka...mike ditka, @Ron Swanson Were the first 3 to respond for the Weller 12yr. 

Winner gets a 750ml and the other two will get 2oz sample to give it a shot. IF cav doesn't chime in by Tomm AM we will use  randomizer. 

Thanks @[icon], excited to giver the Weller 12 a try!  Im guessing I don't have anything you havent tried but I did receive a Midwinters Night Dram as a gift and cracked it open the other day.  Im happy to send over a sample if you havent tried and would like to!

My brother got me a special edition Knob Creek, started in 2001 by Booker and finished by his son in 2014. Can't wait to crack that baby open!

Will do ramdom dice.

The roll was a one smack wins.  @[icon]  ? :thumbup:
Thanks @FatUncleJerryBuss!

Pics of the bottles

Since apparently a buddy popped my last Cheers Liquor store pick of Eagle Rare and poured a glass from it, I'm throwing in a sample of Weller 12yr with it. Generally speaking Store single Barrel picks are more tasty than the normal releases. This one is exceptional, enjoy, 

I need addresses from the 4 recipients via PM and I'm going to try to get these out tomorrow so you all will have them for NYE. :banned:

Thanks @[icon], excited to giver the Weller 12 a try!  Im guessing I don't have anything you havent tried but I did receive a Midwinters Night Dram as a gift and cracked it open the other day.  Im happy to send over a sample if you havent tried and would like to!
Appreciate the offer but no need to send me anything. Feel free to pay it forward to someone else if you'd like, GB :banned:  

Merry Christmas guys :thumbup:

Thanks again cav 

The first 3 folks to respond with interest for the Weller 12 will be considered. I'll either let Cav pick the winner, or use random.org to decide. Either way I'll ship a full bottle to the winner and 2oz samples to the other two. 

Merry Christmas, fellas
Now I'm actually sad I traveled home for the Holidays :kicksrock:

@Rushmore, @ditka...mike ditka, and @Ron Swanson... I need addresses via PM to get these bottles out to ya today. :thumbup:  

EDIT: Rushmore has sent address and his bottle will go out today. Just waiting on Ditka and Ron... going to the post office at lunch to get the samples out. If I don't hear from you guys in the next hour or two, they'll go out tomorrow. 

Merry Christmas, fellas
I should have checked in more on the FFA over break.  Solid stuff here :thumbup:  

So a little brag - an immediate family member of mine is a police officer who recently solved a liquor store robbery case. The store owner, being grateful, let him buy a bottle of 10 year Old Rip Van Winkle for $45. We gave it to my dad for Christmas. 
:thumbup: Very cool on all fronts... officer, store owner, and you guys. That's a very tasty bottle and a great buy at retail ($45)! 

Bought one of those small aging barrels - similar to this - Going to make a barrel aged Manhattan.

Yesterday I "cured" the barrel, which was pretty much just rinsing it out a little, and then filling it with boiling water to allow the wood to expand and seal up any leaks. No leaks this morning so I'm ready to fill it with booze.

Don't want to go very high end with the ingredients in case it doesn't work.

Going with 2 L's of Four Roses Bourbon, 1 L Sweet Vermouth, 2 Oz Bitters. Think I may throw some coffee beans in there just because.

Says I'm supposed to taste every 2 weeks, should be done in a 2-3 months.

The General said:
Bought one of those small aging barrels - similar to this - Going to make a barrel aged Manhattan.

Yesterday I "cured" the barrel, which was pretty much just rinsing it out a little, and then filling it with boiling water to allow the wood to expand and seal up any leaks. No leaks this morning so I'm ready to fill it with booze.

Don't want to go very high end with the ingredients in case it doesn't work.

Going with 2 L's of Four Roses Bourbon, 1 L Sweet Vermouth, 2 Oz Bitters. Think I may throw some coffee beans in there just because.

Says I'm supposed to taste every 2 weeks, should be done in a 2-3 months.
Sounds awesome!! Keep us updated. I've thought about doing this for quite awhile. I'm very curious how it turns out.

ON THE AGING BARRELS: 
I have a buddy who made an aged Old Fashioned with Old Weller Antique that he said peaked out at around 45-50 days and having tasted it, it was delicious. :thumbup:   Going to follow along with @The General's feedback here and likely get a barrel soon. Thanks for sharing, GB. 

EDIT: #### it, grabbed one for $38 on amazon with custom etched barrel head. First experiment will be taking OWA 107 proof out to 15 to 30 days and blind tasting it against Old Rip Van Winkle (aka "Pappy 10") and Pappy van Winkle 15yr. Both are the same distillate/juice and the same proof, just aged out to 10 and 15 years instead of the 4-7yr range for Old Weller Antique. 

ON "BOURBON KARMA" AND LIQUOR STORE RELATIONSHIPS:
My local fave spot continues to be great. Dropped in today to ask how he liked the sample of Blatons Straight From The Barrel I gave to him a couple weeks ago.. he loved it, raved. I pulled a new bottle out of my bag and handed it to him as a thank you for holding back bottles and helping me out. He wanted to give me something in trade but I declined, he's helped me out a lot over the years. He said "well THAT'S going to continue" :lol:

Dude was like a 5yo at christmas, showing his staff, thanking me 1000x (he's aware it's unavailable in the states). When I left he said he was heading in back to take pics and taunt some bourbon buddies. Bottle cost me $70... was happy to thank a good buddy, but it has the added bonus of likely meaning I will have a bottle of any limited release waiting on me at the shop going forward. :banned:

@[icon] @kutta The barrel is filled: Just under 2 liters of Four Roses, just under 1 liter of sweet vermouth. 1 Oz of bitters. Put in about 20 Kona coffee beans as well. Will turn the barrel every couple of days and taste in 2 weeks. 

I tasted some of the water that I soaked in the barrel overnight. It had a smokey flavor and I think the sweetness of the bourbon and vermouth should do well with that.

First observation is I should have probably gone with a 1 liter barrel for my first whack at this. 3 liters is a lot of booze to experiment with. I also put the cork thing in while I was soaking the barrel initially. That was a mistake. I should have waited until I sealed it up for good with the booze, it got stuck in there and I had to use pliers to get it out. It went back in pretty well but I could tell it wasn't quite as tight. I think it will seal up though as it expands again.

Pretty much just sits in the corner now and does its thing. 

@[icon] @kutta The barrel is filled: Just under 2 liters of Four Roses, just under 1 liter of sweet vermouth. 1 Oz of bitters. Put in about 20 Kona coffee beans as well. Will turn the barrel every couple of days and taste in 2 weeks. 

I tasted some of the water that I soaked in the barrel overnight. it was had a smokey flavor and I think the sweetness of the bourbon and vermouth should do well with that.

First observation is I should have probably gone with a 1 liter barrel for my first whack at this. 3 liters is a lot of booze to experiment with. I also put the cork thing in while I was soaking the barrel initially. That was a mistake. I should have waited until I sealed it up for good with the booze, it got stuck in there and I had to use pliers to get it out. It went back in pretty well but I could tell it wasn't quite as tight. I think it will seal up though as it expands again.

Pretty much just sits in the corner now and does it's thing. 

I have a one liter barrel that my g/f got me.  Ive sealed it and everything but have yet to test it out.

Anyone have a suggestion or combo they want me to try then Ill report back?

I have a one liter barrel that my g/f got me.  Ive sealed it and everything but have yet to test it out.

Anyone have a suggestion or combo they want me to try then Ill report back?
There are a ton of recipes out there if you google. Looking around trying to figure out what I was going to do I saw recipes for pretty much every booze and tons of cocktails.

This page was pretty good explaining the basics: Link

Its Christmas all over again!!!

Got my samples today Icon, thanks a million

Think the Weller 12 year will bring in the New Year for me

Users who are viewing this thread