What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bourbon guys (2 Viewers)

Anyone seen the Russell's Reserve 13 year (blue bottle) in the wild?
Just started hitting Virginia.  Already at $500 on secondary so guessing people will be lining up for hours for this one.  Shame, it sounds right up my alley.

Buddy and his wife are in Kentucky this week hitting the distilleries.  Bottles they've picked up for me so far:

• George Remus Barrel Proof (liquor store purchase)
  • EC Toasted Barrel
  • Four Roses SiB BP
They had the opportunity to get the Old Fitz 16 yr. but ended up passing.  If they were confident they could resell it they would have gotten it.

Are there any sites where you can put in say - I like these bourbons and it suggests others that you may like that are similar.

Have had Stagg Jr a couple times in the last week or so and it is quickly approaching the top of my list, but no luck finding a bottle yet. I also like Basil Hayden, Eagle Rare and some of the Old Forrester stuff, and the Woodford Double Oaked. Trying to find a list of similar stuff that I may not have tried.

So, side question - what's a reasonable price for a bottle of the Stagg Jr.?

acarey50 said:
Are there any sites where you can put in say - I like these bourbons and it suggests others that you may like that are similar.

Have had Stagg Jr a couple times in the last week or so and it is quickly approaching the top of my list, but no luck finding a bottle yet. I also like Basil Hayden, Eagle Rare and some of the Old Forrester stuff, and the Woodford Double Oaked. Trying to find a list of similar stuff that I may not have tried.

Ive done two things...one, have a friend who is into bourbon like many here...so I shoot him questions (or obviously asking in here works well too).

The other is find a good local liquor store...one that often stocks store picked barrel offerings.  And then chat up the people in there...enough questions and they will get you to the right person in the store who knows what they are talking about and can offer you alternatives in different price points that they may have.  And talk to them enough, they may even give you a heads up on when they get stuff in so you can get there to grab a bottle before stuff sells out.   For me I get an occasional message based on the mid or lower mid tier stuff.  Buffalo Trace, sometimes Eagle Rare...that stuff that tends to not last long and isn't top end...but the guy I talk to knows I like to keep a bottle of stuff like that on hand.  I get a few message of the better stuff too where he asks if I am interested...but not all the high high end stuff.  He knows my price point for the most part and keeps me up to date on the stuff in that $30-60 range...and then an occasional message on the stuff $60-100.

Rumor on the street is that the ABC Vault opened today with OFC and Double Eagle Very Rare inside.  I didn't get an invite this time, any of you home slices lucky enough to scoop anything?

Ron Swanson said:
Ain't that some sh....oot?  You'd have to be able to turn that purchase into your money back + some pappy at the very least on the worldwideweb.  Free pappy!  I may or may not have picked up my Bardstown Disc #3 and #4 from avatars unknown but not sure if I have the sacktitude to swap such a spensive juice into the ethos and hope the cashapp doesn't bounce.  Prolly just keep whatever I bought in the vault and wear what my wife is offering for the $2,000 to $2600 purchase.  Maybe better that I didn't get the invite, after all.

Blue Note 17, Calumet 15 and your fav $340 Kentucky Owl Rye #4 are out, any worth jumping on if you've tried?  Any others that are recent and semi available (note:  exclude Russ13, JDSR Rye, ####s impossible for some reason unless you wanna pay $3ish) that are recommended scoops?

You may have already acquired a bottle but wanted to go back and answer this.  Stagg Jr. is I think $60 MSRP.  I’d probably pay up to $100 for a batch I liked.

As for recommendations- I’m not aware of a site like that but some whiskey reviewers will offer advice like that.  Usually they will look at similar mashbills or flavor profiles to compare.  

Need to pick my Bourbon Trail itin at the beginning of Derby week next year.  Thought there might be some suggestions in this thread.  Bueller?

From utility standpoint, you can't do any better than the "Hardhat Tour" at Buffalo Trace.  And it's free, just book online well in advance.  After that, you really don't need to tour any more places just go visit the scenery and enjoy the tastings. I do always recommend Maker's just because the grounds are beautiful and their stave program is pretty unique. Wood ford and the surrounding countryside is beautiful. Wild Turkey is cool because you stand a good chance of catching Jimmy Russell holding court. 

Novice here. I am looking for a good 90ish proof bottle. Something smoky and like bitter chocolate?

I have Woodford double oaked and like that. I also have Bookers, which leaves a bad after taste for me. And recently got Noah’s Mill which seems fine but nothing special. 

Ron Swanson said:
From utility standpoint, you can't do any better than the "Hardhat Tour" at Buffalo Trace.  And it's free, just book online well in advance.  After that, you really don't need to tour any more places just go visit the scenery and enjoy the tastings. I do always recommend Maker's just because the grounds are beautiful and their stave program is pretty unique. Wood ford and the surrounding countryside is beautiful. Wild Turkey is cool because you stand a good chance of catching Jimmy Russell holding court. 
Thanks.  Just looked. Hard Hat tour currently not available due to COVID restrictions.  Hope they open it up as I imagine I'll have to book way early for Derby week!

Thanks.  Just looked. Hard Hat tour currently not available due to COVID restrictions.  Hope they open it up as I imagine I'll have to book way early for Derby week!
Cases and positivity rate are climbing steeply here, but I don’t think the governor has put any restrictions back in palace. Distillery probably being cautious and/or  in a labor crunch.

Leeroy Jenkins said:
Novice here. I am looking for a good 90ish proof bottle. Something smoky and like bitter chocolate?

I have Woodford double oaked and like that. I also have Bookers, which leaves a bad after taste for me. And recently got Noah’s Mill which seems fine but nothing special. 
When you say smoky can you explain what you mean - like tobacco notes?  I’ve not heard of many bourbons described as smoky (like many scotches).  As for chocolate notes I definitely get that with that Woodford double Oaked.  I get some chocolate notes on Stagg Jr. but it’s a lot higher proof - same with Elijah Craig barrel proof.  Maybe try the Elijah Craig Toasted Barrel?

When you say smoky can you explain what you mean - like tobacco notes?  I’ve not heard of many bourbons described as smoky (like many scotches).  As for chocolate notes I definitely get that with that Woodford double Oaked.  I get some chocolate notes on Stagg Jr. but it’s a lot higher proof - same with Elijah Craig barrel proof.  Maybe try the Elijah Craig Toasted Barrel?
What about Old Forester 1910 Old Fine Whiskey?  

Maybe I should try scotch?

Anyone have a good bourbon slush recipe? 

I saw one today with tea, lemon juice and orange juice. Sounds decent but I need recommendations both for people who like bourbon and those who aren't big drinkers.

Hmmm.

I keep seeing Highland Park 12 Year Old as a good beginner scotch that has some of the smoke but isn't overpowering.  
I’ve had Highland - definitely smoky but I personally get a lot of the iodine notes that I’m not super fond of.  A truly smoky scotch that I found to be very good is Lagavulin 16.  It fits your proof and smoky but it’s also ~$100 a bottle.

Something that may be worth checking out is High West Campfire - it’s a blend of Bourbon, Rye and Scotch. 

Anyone have a good bourbon slush recipe? 

I saw one today with tea, lemon juice and orange juice. Sounds decent but I need recommendations both for people who like bourbon and those who aren't big drinkers.
7 cups water

2 cups strong steeped tea

2 cups bourbon

1 cup sugar

12 ozs frozen concentrated lemonade

6 ozs frozen concentrated oj

Mix and let freeze overnight. It's weak enough for non-bourbon drinkers, but if you add more bourbon, it won't freeze properly. So the people who want to can always add a floater after scooping it out.

I’ve had Highland - definitely smoky but I personally get a lot of the iodine notes that I’m not super fond of.  A truly smoky scotch that I found to be very good is Lagavulin 16.  It fits your proof and smoky but it’s also ~$100 a bottle.

Something that may be worth checking out is High West Campfire - it’s a blend of Bourbon, Rye and Scotch. 

That sent me down a bit of a rabbit hole.

So now I am debating between:

• Old Forester 1910 Old Fine Whiskey
  • High West Campfire
  • Kings County Peated Bourbon
  • Highland Park 12 Year Old

That sent me down a bit of a rabbit hole.

So now I am debating between:

• Old Forester 1910 Old Fine Whiskey
  • High West Campfire
  • Kings County Peated Bourbon
  • Highland Park 12 Year Old
My best recommendation would be to find a bar and sample a few things.  I know with Covid many folks are forgoing bars so maybe that’s not an option you’d like right now.

I think I talked about it before but if you like MGP bourbon then George Remus is something you need to check out.  It’s one of my favorites under $50.  Almost cheap enough to be a daily sipper but either way it’s delicious.  Lots of cherry and sweet oak.  Big fan.  And I just a few weeks ago got the barrel strength version.  Going to wait on cracking it open but really excited to try it.

Starting to slowly build out a base of labels I enjoy. Some more reasonably priced acquisitions than others.

I need to get my hands on another bottle of the Colonel, though. I might cry when the one I have is gone. Crazy prices anywhere that actually has it.

Picked up a Ezra Brooks Cask Strength Store Pick - really enjoy the EB Distiller’s Collection so have high hopes for this one.

Starting to slowly build out a base of labels I enjoy. Some more reasonably priced acquisitions than others.

I need to get my hands on another bottle of the Colonel, though. I might cry when the one I have is gone. Crazy prices anywhere that actually has it.
slowly is for the political forum, jump in quick gb

slowly is for the political forum, jump in quick gb
If I could just go out and buy it all like I buy wine or goat companionship, sure. But when nobody has what you want unless it's 4x retail, slow it is. Otherwise, it seems to be a lot of  Russell's, Eagle Rare and Buffalo Trace.

After several months off the bourbon train, I've jumped back on.  At one point earlier this year I thought I may be allergic to it.  But I've been having some "Lynchburg Lemonades" once again and boy oh boy is a bourbon buzz better (and hits faster) than a vodka buzz.  I've just been going with Jim Beam since I do mix with lemonade.  It's tasty and having a few a couple/few times a week after work and before kids' bedtime is solid.  

Need to pick my Bourbon Trail itin at the beginning of Derby week next year.  Thought there might be some suggestions in this thread.  Bueller?

:goodposting:  BT Hard Hat is THE play. If you can get Freddie Johnson for a guide, consider yourself #blessed. I can message him and see if I can find out what's going on with the tours. 

Makers: Gorgeous grounds. Fun to dip bottles. Join stave program. A bit pretentious. 

WIld Turkey: Only did a tasting. Was okay. Nice view from the tasting room. 

Heaven Hill: Now they do limited releases every day. Folks show up hours early for them. If that's your jam then start your day off there. Nice tasting and gift shop. Haven't done the full tour. 

Willett: Across the street from HH, used to be tiny and awesome. Haven't been in half a decade but supposedly BIG expansion with the nicest bar / restaurant in the area. I'd plan on a couple hours here. 

Woodford: Nice grounds. Not as nice as Makers, but nice. Tasting is okay. Gift shop is nice. 

4 Roses: Occasional semi limited stuff in the gift shop. Tour is pretty solid.. interesting looking grounds. 

Barton: Industrial factory vibe. Tasting room was meh. 

One thing I'd suggest is only planning on 2... MAYBE 3 (if they're close) stops in a day. 

Could MAYBE do HH > Willett > Makers in a day if you weren't touring HH, just hitting Gift Shop at open and doing a tasting, then tour + early lunch at Willett, then head down to Makers. But then you've got a drive to stay somewhere. IF you don't care about limited releases, probably better to do MM > Willett > HH then stay in Bardstown. 

Buffalo Trace HH + one of Woodford / Wild Turkey / Four Roses could work. 

I've stayed in Frankfort / Louisville / Bardstown. Louisville has the fake whiskey row where they don't really make much but have tours. Lots of great hotels/bars/dining. Bardstown is tiny but cheap and has a few fun bars/restaurants. Frankfort was boring as #### when we stayed but classes were out. May be more fun with college in session. 

Never been to Beam but it's on my short list. 

Users who are viewing this thread