Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Bourbon guys

On 6/5/2021 at 8:44 AM, jm192 said:

Anyone seen the Russell's Reserve 13 year (blue bottle) in the wild?

Have not but would like it Im sure as I enjoy the 10 year as an affordable option for a lower proof bourbon.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2021 at 9:44 AM, jm192 said:

Anyone seen the Russell's Reserve 13 year (blue bottle) in the wild?

Just started hitting Virginia.  Already at $500 on secondary so guessing people will be lining up for hours for this one.  Shame, it sounds right up my alley.

• Sad 1

Buddy and his wife are in Kentucky this week hitting the distilleries.  Bottles they've picked up for me so far:

• George Remus Barrel Proof (liquor store purchase)
  • EC Toasted Barrel
  • Four Roses SiB BP

They had the opportunity to get the Old Fitz 16 yr. but ended up passing.  If they were confident they could resell it they would have gotten it.

Are there any sites where you can put in say - I like these bourbons and it suggests others that you may like that are similar.

Have had Stagg Jr a couple times in the last week or so and it is quickly approaching the top of my list, but no luck finding a bottle yet. I also like Basil Hayden, Eagle Rare and some of the Old Forrester stuff, and the Woodford Double Oaked. Trying to find a list of similar stuff that I may not have tried.

So, side question - what's a reasonable price for a bottle of the Stagg Jr.?

19 hours ago, acarey50 said:

Are there any sites where you can put in say - I like these bourbons and it suggests others that you may like that are similar.

Have had Stagg Jr a couple times in the last week or so and it is quickly approaching the top of my list, but no luck finding a bottle yet. I also like Basil Hayden, Eagle Rare and some of the Old Forrester stuff, and the Woodford Double Oaked. Trying to find a list of similar stuff that I may not have tried.

Ive done two things...one, have a friend who is into bourbon like many here...so I shoot him questions (or obviously asking in here works well too).

The other is find a good local liquor store...one that often stocks store picked barrel offerings.  And then chat up the people in there...enough questions and they will get you to the right person in the store who knows what they are talking about and can offer you alternatives in different price points that they may have.  And talk to them enough, they may even give you a heads up on when they get stuff in so you can get there to grab a bottle before stuff sells out.   For me I get an occasional message based on the mid or lower mid tier stuff.  Buffalo Trace, sometimes Eagle Rare...that stuff that tends to not last long and isn't top end...but the guy I talk to knows I like to keep a bottle of stuff like that on hand.  I get a few message of the better stuff too where he asks if I am interested...but not all the high high end stuff.  He knows my price point for the most part and keeps me up to date on the stuff in that $30-60 range...and then an occasional message on the stuff $60-100.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Rumor on the street is that the ABC Vault opened today with OFC and Double Eagle Very Rare inside.  I didn't get an invite this time, any of you home slices lucky enough to scoop anything?

5 hours ago, got_nugs said:

Rumor on the street is that the ABC Vault opened today with OFC and Double Eagle Very Rare inside.  I didn't get an invite this time, any of you home slices lucky enough to scoop anything?

Nope.

2 hours ago, Ron Swanson said:

Nope.

Ain't that some sh....oot?  You'd have to be able to turn that purchase into your money back + some pappy at the very least on the worldwideweb.  Free pappy!  I may or may not have picked up my Bardstown Disc #3 and #4 from avatars unknown but not sure if I have the sacktitude to swap such a spensive juice into the ethos and hope the cashapp doesn't bounce.  Prolly just keep whatever I bought in the vault and wear what my wife is offering for the $2,000 to $2600 purchase.  Maybe better that I didn't get the invite, after all.

Blue Note 17, Calumet 15 and your fav $340 Kentucky Owl Rye #4 are out, any worth jumping on if you've tried?  Any others that are recent and semi available (note:  exclude Russ13, JDSR Rye, ####s impossible for some reason unless you wanna pay $3ish) that are recommended scoops?

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2021 at 6:30 AM, AAABatteries said:

Just thought of another that should be pretty easy for you to find.  Smoke Wagon Uncut & Unfiltered.  Really good stuff, IMO.  Being out there you may even be able to find some of the special release stuff.  And the bottle is cool.

Picked this up yesterday for $53ish. Thanks.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2021 at 2:37 PM, acarey50 said:

You may have already acquired a bottle but wanted to go back and answer this.  Stagg Jr. is I think $60 MSRP.  I’d probably pay up to $100 for a batch I liked.

As for recommendations- I’m not aware of a site like that but some whiskey reviewers will offer advice like that.  Usually they will look at similar mashbills or flavor profiles to compare.  

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

:blackdot:

From utility standpoint, you can't do any better than the "Hardhat Tour" at Buffalo Trace.  And it's free, just book online well in advance.  After that, you really don't need to tour any more places just go visit the scenery and enjoy the tastings. I do always recommend Maker's just because the grounds are beautiful and their stave program is pretty unique. Wood ford and the surrounding countryside is beautiful. Wild Turkey is cool because you stand a good chance of catching Jimmy Russell holding court. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Ron Swanson said:

From utility standpoint, you can't do any better than the "Hardhat Tour" at Buffalo Trace.  And it's free, just book online well in advance.  After that, you really don't need to tour any more places just go visit the scenery and enjoy the tastings. I do always recommend Maker's just because the grounds are beautiful and their stave program is pretty unique. Wood ford and the surrounding countryside is beautiful. Wild Turkey is cool because you stand a good chance of catching Jimmy Russell holding court. 

Thanks.  Just looked. Hard Hat tour currently not available due to COVID restrictions.  Hope they open it up as I imagine I'll have to book way early for Derby week!

41 minutes ago, Judge Smails said:

Thanks.  Just looked. Hard Hat tour currently not available due to COVID restrictions.  Hope they open it up as I imagine I'll have to book way early for Derby week!

Cases and positivity rate are climbing steeply here, but I don’t think the governor has put any restrictions back in palace. Distillery probably being cautious and/or  in a labor crunch.

19 hours ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Novice here. I am looking for a good 90ish proof bottle. Something smoky and like bitter chocolate?

I have Woodford double oaked and like that. I also have Bookers, which leaves a bad after taste for me. And recently got Noah’s Mill which seems fine but nothing special. 

When you say smoky can you explain what you mean - like tobacco notes?  I’ve not heard of many bourbons described as smoky (like many scotches).  As for chocolate notes I definitely get that with that Woodford double Oaked.  I get some chocolate notes on Stagg Jr. but it’s a lot higher proof - same with Elijah Craig barrel proof.  Maybe try the Elijah Craig Toasted Barrel?

2 hours ago, AAABatteries said:

When you say smoky can you explain what you mean - like tobacco notes?  I’ve not heard of many bourbons described as smoky (like many scotches).  As for chocolate notes I definitely get that with that Woodford double Oaked.  I get some chocolate notes on Stagg Jr. but it’s a lot higher proof - same with Elijah Craig barrel proof.  Maybe try the Elijah Craig Toasted Barrel?

What about Old Forester 1910 Old Fine Whiskey?  

Maybe I should try scotch?

16 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Hmmm.

I keep seeing Highland Park 12 Year Old as a good beginner scotch that has some of the smoke but isn't overpowering.  

Sorry, don't know much about scotch. It's the smokiness of it that I don't care for. 

Anyone have a good bourbon slush recipe? 

I saw one today with tea, lemon juice and orange juice. Sounds decent but I need recommendations both for people who like bourbon and those who aren't big drinkers.

53 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Hmmm.

I keep seeing Highland Park 12 Year Old as a good beginner scotch that has some of the smoke but isn't overpowering.  

I’ve had Highland - definitely smoky but I personally get a lot of the iodine notes that I’m not super fond of.  A truly smoky scotch that I found to be very good is Lagavulin 16.  It fits your proof and smoky but it’s also ~$100 a bottle.

Something that may be worth checking out is High West Campfire - it’s a blend of Bourbon, Rye and Scotch. 

48 minutes ago, -OZ- said:

Anyone have a good bourbon slush recipe? 

I saw one today with tea, lemon juice and orange juice. Sounds decent but I need recommendations both for people who like bourbon and those who aren't big drinkers.

7 cups water

2 cups strong steeped tea

2 cups bourbon

1 cup sugar

12 ozs frozen concentrated lemonade

6 ozs frozen concentrated oj

Mix and let freeze overnight. It's weak enough for non-bourbon drinkers, but if you add more bourbon, it won't freeze properly. So the people who want to can always add a floater after scooping it out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, AAABatteries said:

I’ve had Highland - definitely smoky but I personally get a lot of the iodine notes that I’m not super fond of.  A truly smoky scotch that I found to be very good is Lagavulin 16.  It fits your proof and smoky but it’s also ~$100 a bottle.

Something that may be worth checking out is High West Campfire - it’s a blend of Bourbon, Rye and Scotch. 

That sent me down a bit of a rabbit hole.

So now I am debating between:

• Old Forester 1910 Old Fine Whiskey

• High West Campfire

• Kings County Peated Bourbon

• Highland Park 12 Year Old

12 hours ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

• High West Campfire

I really like Campfire. It's fun. And pretty delicious. 

14 hours ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

• High West Campfire

My best recommendation would be to find a bar and sample a few things.  I know with Covid many folks are forgoing bars so maybe that’s not an option you’d like right now.