What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bourbon guys (1 Viewer)

Michter’s American tonight - this is a really nice bottle.  A little overpriced IMO but a super easy drinker.  I remember polishing off the first  half of this bottle around the fire pit camping.

:goodposting:  BT Hard Hat is THE play. If you can get Freddie Johnson for a guide, consider yourself #blessed. I can message him and see if I can find out what's going on with the tours. 

Makers: Gorgeous grounds. Fun to dip bottles. Join stave program. A bit pretentious. 

WIld Turkey: Only did a tasting. Was okay. Nice view from the tasting room. 

Heaven Hill: Now they do limited releases every day. Folks show up hours early for them. If that's your jam then start your day off there. Nice tasting and gift shop. Haven't done the full tour. 

Willett: Across the street from HH, used to be tiny and awesome. Haven't been in half a decade but supposedly BIG expansion with the nicest bar / restaurant in the area. I'd plan on a couple hours here. 

Woodford: Nice grounds. Not as nice as Makers, but nice. Tasting is okay. Gift shop is nice. 

4 Roses: Occasional semi limited stuff in the gift shop. Tour is pretty solid.. interesting looking grounds. 

Barton: Industrial factory vibe. Tasting room was meh. 

One thing I'd suggest is only planning on 2... MAYBE 3 (if they're close) stops in a day. 

Could MAYBE do HH > Willett > Makers in a day if you weren't touring HH, just hitting Gift Shop at open and doing a tasting, then tour + early lunch at Willett, then head down to Makers. But then you've got a drive to stay somewhere. IF you don't care about limited releases, probably better to do MM > Willett > HH then stay in Bardstown. 

Buffalo Trace HH + one of Woodford / Wild Turkey / Four Roses could work. 

I've stayed in Frankfort / Louisville / Bardstown. Louisville has the fake whiskey row where they don't really make much but have tours. Lots of great hotels/bars/dining. Bardstown is tiny but cheap and has a few fun bars/restaurants. Frankfort was boring as #### when we stayed but classes were out. May be more fun with college in session. 

Never been to Beam but it's on my short list. 

That would be great if you could check the hard hat tour. Looking for 4 people the Wednesday or Thursday of Derby week 2022

:goodposting:  BT Hard Hat is THE play. If you can get Freddie Johnson for a guide, consider yourself #blessed. I can message him and see if I can find out what's going on with the tours. 

Makers: Gorgeous grounds. Fun to dip bottles. Join stave program. A bit pretentious. 

WIld Turkey: Only did a tasting. Was okay. Nice view from the tasting room. 

Heaven Hill: Now they do limited releases every day. Folks show up hours early for them. If that's your jam then start your day off there. Nice tasting and gift shop. Haven't done the full tour. 

Willett: Across the street from HH, used to be tiny and awesome. Haven't been in half a decade but supposedly BIG expansion with the nicest bar / restaurant in the area. I'd plan on a couple hours here. 

Woodford: Nice grounds. Not as nice as Makers, but nice. Tasting is okay. Gift shop is nice. 

4 Roses: Occasional semi limited stuff in the gift shop. Tour is pretty solid.. interesting looking grounds. 

Barton: Industrial factory vibe. Tasting room was meh. 

One thing I'd suggest is only planning on 2... MAYBE 3 (if they're close) stops in a day. 

Could MAYBE do HH > Willett > Makers in a day if you weren't touring HH, just hitting Gift Shop at open and doing a tasting, then tour + early lunch at Willett, then head down to Makers. But then you've got a drive to stay somewhere. IF you don't care about limited releases, probably better to do MM > Willett > HH then stay in Bardstown. 

Buffalo Trace HH + one of Woodford / Wild Turkey / Four Roses could work. 

I've stayed in Frankfort / Louisville / Bardstown. Louisville has the fake whiskey row where they don't really make much but have tours. Lots of great hotels/bars/dining. Bardstown is tiny but cheap and has a few fun bars/restaurants. Frankfort was boring as #### when we stayed but classes were out. May be more fun with college in session. 

Never been to Beam but it's on my short list. 

Great advice here. I wasn't impressed with Beam, but it was our last stop after touring or tasting all of the above.  It's big and very corporate feeling. 

I will add the although [icon] is dead on with Barton being very industrial feeling, it also feels the most genuine. They aren't putting any lipstick on the pig or putting on a show at all and I appreciated that. And it's kind of a throwback industrial so part of the tour kinda feels like maybe the safety guy called in sick and you shouldn't really be there.

Novice here. I am looking for a good 90ish proof bottle. Something smoky and like bitter chocolate?

I have Woodford double oaked and like that. I also have Bookers, which leaves a bad after taste for me. And recently got Noah’s Mill which seems fine but nothing special. 
Balcones Brimstone brings the smoke, 106 but I am sure you have your own water...or ice...js.

It seems to be getting more difficult to find Old Grand Dad 114 ... is it just me? (Houston)
This is a fine do it all for me, laughed with a friend about a favorite grab a goodie on occasion local purveyor and it is the  fallback ...thanks for the heads up will grab a spare or three...

I work for a distributor. I can go to an account that has had a delivery that day and get nothing but blank stares (latest was on EH Taylor).

So, just went online. Used topbourbon.com for a bottle of Blanton's, BT Straight Kosher Rye and a Weller SR. $454 shipped.

Sick of wasting time going into stores and then walking out with something that is just going to sit in a cabinet (Heaven's Door Rye and a Giffard Pamplemousse the latest). I'd rather just spend the money, as long as it's legit product.

Very nice. Think Taylor Rye is the favorite thing in my house.
I've always been a wine and beer guy, but I started dabbling in bourbon a few years back (5 maybe). I hadn't tried EHT until this year, and while I have not had the variety of most in this thread, it's my favorite bourbon atm. And I'm not sure it's close.

Moonrise in Clayton, GA is not to be missed. 

I bought several but the crown jewel of the bunch is the Single Barrel Cask Strength Bourbon Whiskey which is 120 proof and went down as smooth as anything I've had in a long time, didn't really need a cube honestly. It was under $100 for the bottle I believe which was quite reasonable. They make a Snow Cream or something we grabbed as well, not nearly as strong but a good dessert or after dinner drink.

They have some pics of their bottles on the site. Just off the highway and if you do happen to stop in there, make the trek over to the little town and hit Fortify Pi, one of the best pizzas i've ever had in my life. Was just at these places in the last couple months. 

Cheers! 

I work for a distributor. I can go to an account that has had a delivery that day and get nothing but blank stares (latest was on EH Taylor).

So, just went online. Used topbourbon.com for a bottle of Blanton's, BT Straight Kosher Rye and a Weller SR. $454 shipped.

Sick of wasting time going into stores and then walking out with something that is just going to sit in a cabinet (Heaven's Door Rye and a Giffard Pamplemousse the latest). I'd rather just spend the money, as long as it's legit product.

Are those the only 3 bottles you bought?  I mean, I get the frustration but that's 3x as much as MSRP for those 3.  Hell, I know it's a running joke but I would rather buy 18-20 bottles of Wild Turkey 101 than just those 3 at that price.  Double Hell, save your money and I could track those 3 down in Georgia for you -  at worst $200.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are those the only 3 bottles you bought?  I mean, I get the frustration but that's 3x as much as MSRP for those 3.  Hell, I know it's a running joke but I would rather buy 18-20 bottles of Wild Turkey 101 than just those 3 at that price.  Hell, save your money and I could track those 3 down in Georgia for you -  at worst $200.
I'd pay you double + shipping on any Weller/Blanton/EH Taylor/HW allocated you can find. My issue is that I already have more than I can possibly drink on hand. Not great stuff, but decent enough that I don't want to use it as a mixer. At a max I'll have 100 mL a week. Makes it tough to get through a bottle. 

Here is my current collection

The product up front is open, the product against the wall is still sealed. Some is mixer-only material (Skrewball), but there's a fair number in the back I want to try. I cant keep adding 50-80 dollar bottles though, I'm running out of room (locked up due to kids) and I don't drink enough or have enough bourbon drinking friends to power through what I do have.

So I wander into a liquor store (perhaps even more pained because I know they had a delivery that day) and strike out. However, I already wasted time driving there, so I walk out with something(s) else to stick in the cabinet and gather dust. I'd rather focus on as satisfying a bottle I can find, even if it's overpriced.

I think for some of us that have a collection (large or small) the hunting or visiting stores can be or is part of the fun.  I realize that's not the case for everyone but I truly enjoy hitting up stores and checking out what they have on the shelves.  It's what I imagine my wife does when she does all of her shopping.  I'd say that my visits to liquor stores end in a purchase only about 10-20% of the time.

I think for some of us that have a collection (large or small) the hunting or visiting stores can be or is part of the fun.  I realize that's not the case for everyone but I truly enjoy hitting up stores and checking out what they have on the shelves.  It's what I imagine my wife does when she does all of her shopping.  I'd say that my visits to liquor stores end in a purchase only about 10-20% of the time.
I get the thrill of the chase and if I didn't have three little ones at home, I'd be much more open to such events. 

Just like a lot of things in life, trading money for time.

How do you all like the 8 year Dickel? I enjoy it.Especially since I quaffed both of my EH Taylor's, Buy them all next time lol...(the Taylor) cheers....

Local ABC store has a drawing for the rights to purchase a 1980 The Last Drop for $4600. I can't justify actually buying that for myself, but am thinking putting in to try and get for resale. Has anybody ever sold a crazy expensive bottle before?

Local ABC store has a drawing for the rights to purchase a 1980 The Last Drop for $4600. I can't justify actually buying that for myself, but am thinking putting in to try and get for resale. Has anybody ever sold a crazy expensive bottle before?

I haven't and didn't know anything about these bottles - at first I thought it was aged 40 years in the barrel.  I was going to suggest just going out and licking some oak trees.

What's it going for on secondary?

GroveDiesel said:
Some people just have different levels of money than me. I can’t imagine spending anything close to that for something so easily/quickly consumable. Gotta be a prestige thing, right? Like no way is TLD that amazing tasting.
If I’m willing to drop 200 on a bottle, pretty easy to get how some one making 100X what I make would drop 100X on a bottle.

I remember Chris Loxton telling me about a guy from NY who told him he needed to charge more. The guy was mad he couldn't take his $40 bottle of wine home and brag to his friends about the $100+ bottle of wine he'd found that they HAD to try.

I remember Chris Loxton telling me about a guy from NY who told him he needed to charge more. The guy was mad he couldn't take his $40 bottle of wine home and brag to his friends about the $100+ bottle of wine he'd found that they HAD to try.
It’s so funny. I’m exactly the opposite. If I had something that was really good, I’d be like “You gotta try this, it’s amazing. What do you think for $300, pretty good right? Well then this is going to blow your mind because I got it for $10 at Costco! Can you believe that!?”

John J. Bowman

and

Isaac Bowman (Port Barrel Finished)

So good, and you can actually find it.  Both under $50

I have some Grass Widow for later tonight. It's a solid local bourbon. A little overpriced for getting a small produced bourbon, but it's very nice. 

I think I forgot to post about this.  A few weeks back my wife and I went to dinner and I had the chance to have a pour of Old Forester Barrel Strength Rye.  Easily top 3 whiskey I've ever had and probably the best rye I've ever had.  It was freaking delicious.  Think I paid $27 for 2 oz. and it was easily worth it.  I've only seen 1 bottle out in the wild and they wanted $160 for it.  Knowing what I know now I wish I had pulled the trigger but it's still about $50-60 more than I want to pay for that one.  Having had it I would go up to probably $120.

If you get the chance and like rye, pull the trigger - it's unreal.

Any places around that have a large selection?
Super Fine in Canton. Bellyz Up in Plymouth also seems to get most of their customers in for their pizza or people drinking some pretty garbage stuff so nice bottles will sit around their for longer than one would expect. 

Super Fine in Canton. Bellyz Up in Plymouth also seems to get most of their customers in for their pizza or people drinking some pretty garbage stuff so nice bottles will sit around their for longer than one would expect. 

Thanks for the info on Bellyz Up (Ann Arbor Trail & Mill St. ???). I've been to Super Fine quite a few times but never seem to come away with the goods. Are you a "special" customer who gets the under-the-counter saves? I mean, cool if you are, but was just wondering since I seem to strike out there!

I recently bought a bottle of E.H. Taylor small batch.  It was decent.  I liked the nutty / vanilla notes and it has a pleasant bite.  I would probably buy it again.

MrJimiT said:
Thanks for the info on Bellyz Up (Ann Arbor Trail & Mill St. ???). I've been to Super Fine quite a few times but never seem to come away with the goods. Are you a "special" customer who gets the under-the-counter saves? I mean, cool if you are, but was just wondering since I seem to strike out there!
I am not, maybe just lucky. How nice of a bottle are you looking for? I was just saying Michigan wouldn't have a 2 bottle limit on something as easy to find as Buffalo Trace. I don't usually seem to have much trouble finding something like Eagle Rare either. Holiday Market has a good selection and I often see that or EH Taylor there. In many States Eagle Rare or even Buffalo Trace are tough to find. 

Oh and yes it is AA Trail and Mill. Mill Street is Lilley, just has a different name once you enter Plymouth. 

Message sent to Freddie :thumbup:  

We aren't tight but he's hosted us a couple times on picks so I may get a decent answer. 
He got back to me.. Hard Hat tours are still down with no immediate plans hes aware of to bring it back. 

He suggested the Expansion Tour which brings you back to the new rickhouses on the hill. 

I am not, maybe just lucky. How nice of a bottle are you looking for? I was just saying Michigan wouldn't have a 2 bottle limit on something as easy to find as Buffalo Trace. I don't usually seem to have much trouble finding something like Eagle Rare either. Holiday Market has a good selection and I often see that or EH Taylor there. In many States Eagle Rare or even Buffalo Trace are tough to find. 

Oh and yes it is AA Trail and Mill. Mill Street is Lilley, just has a different name once you enter Plymouth. 
 Okay gotcha!! I like BT and ER but I have been really trying to find EH Taylor Single Barrel or Blanton's or Weller...in that genre. I will have to try out Holiday Market then. Of all my regular go-to's in the SE Mich area...it's been a dry scene for past couple of years.

Thanks brother!!

Okay gotcha!! I like BT and ER but I have been really trying to find EH Taylor Single Barrel or Blanton's or Weller...in that genre. I will have to try out Holiday Market then. Of all my regular go-to's in the SE Mich area...it's been a dry scene for past couple of years.

Thanks brother!!
EH Taylor Small Batch is also great, more attainable, and cheaper than Single Barrel. In fact I prefer it to Single Barrel.

It's not like any of that was available in PA anyway...
Yeah, I think it’s more of a supply issue than an issue of a small number of people buying up large amounts. Maybe they’re just trying to appease people by doing what they can to try to spread it around even a little more.

Ugh...missed out on one of my local spot's selection last week.  The usual email went into my promotions tab and I missed it before it was all sold out.

Weller Antique 107 $59.99

Weller Full Proof  $59.99

Weller Reserve $39.99

And also had some Blantons I missed out on last week as well.  

Supposed to have some Weller stuff coming as they are doing a drawing of their "rewards/club" members...basically anyone who gets their emails.  Not sure what it is yet...hoping I get an email or text about that...needing to get some stuff beyond the Russels, Basil Hayden,  and Buffalo Trace Ive got left in the cabinet.

Ugh...missed out on one of my local spot's selection last week.  The usual email went into my promotions tab and I missed it before it was all sold out.

Weller Antique 107 $59.99

Weller Full Proof  $59.99

Weller Reserve $39.99

And also had some Blantons I missed out on last week as well.  

Supposed to have some Weller stuff coming as they are doing a drawing of their "rewards/club" members...basically anyone who gets their emails.  Not sure what it is yet...hoping I get an email or text about that...needing to get some stuff beyond the Russels, Basil Hayden,  and Buffalo Trace Ive got left in the cabinet.
Decent price for the Full Proof.  

After missing the Weller the other day…happy to get the email today they had a nice allocation.

Picked up a bottle of Blantons and had my wife with me to be able to get two bottles and for the second bottle grabbed the Col EH Taylor Small Batch.  Both at $59

Passed on Eagle Rare this time as I wanted to try the Taylor.  They had some other higher priced stuff I was unfamiliar with and wife was already looking at me with the side eye at buying the two I did and passing on the lower priced ER.

Nice to add some to the cabinet as I was running low beyond the typical easy to find anywhere stuff in that $25-40 range

After missing the Weller the other day…happy to get the email today they had a nice allocation.

Picked up a bottle of Blantons and had my wife with me to be able to get two bottles and for the second bottle grabbed the Col EH Taylor Small Batch.  Both at $59

Passed on Eagle Rare this time as I wanted to try the Taylor.  They had some other higher priced stuff I was unfamiliar with and wife was already looking at me with the side eye at buying the two I did and passing on the lower priced ER.

Nice to add some to the cabinet as I was running low beyond the typical easy to find anywhere stuff in that $25-40 range
Is Eagle Rare that hard for you to find? We've had bottlenecks at times around here, but a lot of Wal-Marts are selling it for $32-ish right now.

Is Eagle Rare that hard for you to find? We've had bottlenecks at times around here, but a lot of Wal-Marts are selling it for $32-ish right now.
It didn’t used to be.  Haven’t seen it on my side of town in a while.  Haven’t been to a couple of my other spots in a while though.  One of my other stores I liked was always great for wine usually had a good variety of bourbon as well.

But always one I have cone to enjoy at that price.  They had it I think at $31.

Users who are viewing this thread