What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Malcolm Mitchell Thread (2 Viewers)

squistion

Footballguy
Couldn't find a thread on this guy to bump. One of my favorite rookies after the top choices are gone.

Had 4 catches for 55 yards tonight in the pre-season opener before suffering what appeared to be a season ending gruesome elbow injury.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atINYtkxS0k

However, it looks like it was not serious as first feared, although he still needs an MRI:

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/11312/malcolm-mitchell

The Boston Herald reports Patriots WR Malcolm Mitchell has been diagnosed with a dislocated left elbow, but may only miss four weeks.

The injury had the looks of a potential season-ender, so it's extremely good news. It still knocks Mitchell out for the rest of the preseason, and leaves him doubtful for Week 1. He needs a Friday MRI to confirm the extent of the damage. Either way, injured reserve is probably no longer in his future. Mitchell is an intriguing stash in Dynasty leagues, but not a re-draft consideration. Aug 11 - 11:09 PM

Last edited by a moderator:
An MRI on Patriots WR Malcolm Mitchell's dislocated elbow came back clean.
That's exactly what the Patriots were hoping for. Mitchell suffered a horrible-looking elbow injury after hauling in a catch in Thursday's preseason opener against the Saints but it looks like he might only miss four weeks. If that timeline holds, Mitchell could be ready for Week 1 against the Cardinals. Mitchell was having a great debut before he got hurt (four catches for 55 yards) and makes for an interesting dynasty stash.

Source: Adam Caplan on Twitter

Looking at this guy in the 3rd round of my rookie draft. One of these rookie NE WR's has to pan out at some point, right?

Looking at this guy in the 3rd round of my rookie draft. One of these rookie NE WR's has to pan out at some point, right?
He was taken at picks 15, 18, and 22 in my three rookie drafts, all in May/June. You may need to reset your expectations of where you can get him (unless you are talking IDP).

He was taken at picks 15, 18, and 22 in my three rookie drafts, all in May/June. You may need to reset your expectations of where you can get him (unless you are talking IDP).
This injury might give his value a slight hit. Took him in 3 leagues (2.02 to 2.10) and wasn't expecting much his rookie season, but the injury may set him back so he probably won't be a reliable flex play this season.

That said, still excited about his long term prospects and realistically he still should not make it out of the 2nd round in most drafts so I would target him 2.05 - 2.08 range.

Patriots WR Malcolm Mitchell (dislocated elbow) was in full pads for Monday's practice.
In other words, if he's not completely fine, he's close to it. Mitchell's Thursday injury had the looks of a season-ender, but ended up being little more than a scare. Injuries have always been Mitchell's bugaboo, but this isn't going to be the one that fells him. Mitchell offers a lot of upside for a fourth-rounder, but is still much more of a Dynasty than re-draft consideration for 2016.

Source: Mike Reiss on Twitter 
Aug 15 - 1:39 PM

Mitchell offers a lot of upside for a fourth-rounder, but is still much more of a Dynasty than re-draft consideration for 2016.

In what world is Mitchell a fourth-rounder?  Roto writers play in a lot of 6-team leagues?

Mitchell offers a lot of upside for a fourth-rounder, but is still much more of a Dynasty than re-draft consideration for 2016.

In what world is Mitchell a fourth-rounder?  Roto writers play in a lot of 6-team leagues?
He was a 4th round pick.  In the actual NFL draft.  This year.

Any NE WR has to pan out at some point, right?? For a whole season?? At some point, some WR has to go 1,200 - 7+TD? Don't they? 
Gambler's Fallacy.

Yes, eventually a NE WR will pan out.  No, the odds of any randomly selected NE WR being the one don't go up just because of a run of failures.  (If anything they go down...the events may not be independent.)

I think he can be a better LaFell for the Pats. I'm talking the LaFell of '14 who went 74/953/7td.  Don' t think he reaches that level this year but certainly I can see him hitting that level in '17 or '18.  Dobson sucks, not sure if he'll be on the roster week 1. 

Mitchell looked real good and if he doesn't miss much time I can see him contributing this year as possibly their 4th/5th receiving option.  I'm buying.

ESPN Patriots reporter Mike Reiss considers rookie Malcolm Mitchell the leading candidate for the starting "X" receiver job.
As it stands now, Mitchell will man the X, Julian Edelman the Z, and Chris Hogan the slot. Danny Amendola, Keshawn Martin, and Aaron Dobson are behind them. While Mitchell being a starter seems nice, he's deep down the target totem pole in this setup, especially when we factor in Rob Gronkowski, Martellus Bennett, and Dion Lewis. Mitchell is more of a Dynasty stash.

Source: ESPN.com
Aug 17 - 2:07 PM

Start of his breakout?  Gronk is out again this week it looks like so I might even flex him this week.  

Start of his breakout?  Gronk is out again this week it looks like so I might even flex him this week.  
Depends on Hogan, not Gronk.  If Hogan is back, Mitchell is special teams at best.  If not, then a great flex add.  Watching the practice info on Hogan.

Lots of endzone targets today.  Glad I picked him off the WW last week in my dynasty league (and that someone dropped him); he looks to hold some promise.
+2

picked him up last week after I thought he looked like the Pats best receiver.

Depends on Hogan, not Gronk.  If Hogan is back, Mitchell is special teams at best.  If not, then a great flex add.  Watching the practice info on Hogan.
This may be true but Mitchell looks better than Hogan did. Would not surprise me to see him be more involved down the stretch even with Hogan back.

I'll start the crazy talk. With Kelvin facing the Seattle D this week, I'm starting Mitchell over him. With Gronk almost certainly out this week, it bodes well for Michell. There is no comparison between he and Hogan. In dynasty leagues, this kid has a bright future 

Drafted him in dynasty but with him doing nothing early on and having some injury problems I had to drop him. Will probably try and get him back since I could easily see him becoming the pats #1 WR as soon as next year. Edelman still gets his targets but he is getting older and though he hasn't had problems this year always had small injuries. 

Wow Malcolm is really set up nice with the Gronk news, RUN don't walk to your WW and pick him up, Brady's #1 RZ target? yes please.

Agreed. Bennett banged up and will need to block more since d Gronk done. Mitchell could be better than Lafell was in 2014.

Wow Malcolm is really set up nice with the Gronk news, RUN don't walk to your WW and pick him up, Brady's #1 RZ target? yes please.
So the question becomes, Who are you starting him over this week? Cooks or Diggs? I doubt it, but dammit I'm tempted. #### thursday night football. 

So the question becomes, Who are you starting him over this week? Cooks or Diggs? I doubt it, but dammit I'm tempted. #### thursday night football. 
Pending Hilton's status it will be either Shepherd or Malcom, but I have no other choices.

Could turn into a championship difference maker.  Probably starting him as a flex over Inman, Landry,Rawls, Kelley and Hightower this week in ppr.

Could turn into a championship difference maker.  Probably starting him as a flex over Inman, Landry,Rawls, Kelley and Hightower this week in ppr.
Seriously?  Inmann with two other injured receivers?  Landry as the preferred #1 on a strong wild card contender?  Rawls as the clear #1 on a team that needs to have TOP?

Think of the Patriots weekly scheming to take advantage of specific mismatches or tendencies.  Gronk is out, Bennett is hobbled, Edelman is questionable but will still draw doubles.  Dion or White out of the backfield can be contained.  So you really think Mitchell is a PPR difference maker?

Just picked up M Mitchell off FA waiver wire with the Gronk news breaking. If nothing else I keep him away from someone else's team. Problem was dropping someone to get him. Had to let L Green go, who is also an uptick.

I would expect NE to run a lot of sets with White and Lewis together out of the backfield, Edelman on one side, and a rotation of Mitchell and Hogan on the other. Bennett most likely will be kept in to block quite a bit. Edelman will see lots of targets, both RBs should be PPR options, and Mitchell probably won't see a ton of targets and will be somewhat TD dependent for fantasy purposes.

Do you think he's someone worth starting along side Edelman on your team in a ppr league? I could get him in my league but I'm a little nervous about doing it but he's probably better than Landry, Marquess Wilson, or Inman who I'd start over him. 

Curoius to watch how Dodds, Trembley, and Bloom will up his rank this week now, or not? Bloom had him ranked the highest of the bunch by a longshot.

Do you think he's someone worth starting along side Edelman on your team in a ppr league? I could get him in my league but I'm a little nervous about doing it but he's probably better than Landry, Marquess Wilson, or Inman who I'd start over him. 
I would love to get opinions on this as well....I'm up in the air on Marquiss Wilson and Mitchell in a non-ppt league....because of Brady, I'm leaning Mitchell. 

Here were the total targets from the past two weeks out with Gronk out the first games and only seeing 2 targets in the second:

Edelman 28
White 15
Lewis 12
Mitchell 12
Bennett 7
Hogan 5 (out one of those games)
Amendola 4
Blount 1
Develin 1

davewwright said:
  So you really think Mitchell is a PPR difference maker?
I believe he can be a championship difference maker and I thought so last week when I went around picking him up.

Just for starters, considering the hobbled state of Marty B's ankle and maybe shoulder, he might be the best red zone option on the team right now. He's not a big guy but he's got huge 10.5 inch hands and from what I see he knows how to utilize them to make the kind of contested catches you need to make in the end zone.

You also have the fact that Edelman and Hogan have been living on the injury report most of the season. Some might say just NE playing Patriot games but Hogan has missed some time with his back and Edelman's numbers are a little down across the board. I also think the Patriots might want to get him more up to speed for the playoffs and increase his playing time over last few weeks while trying to increase rest for Edelman and maybe Hogan.

davewwright said:
Seriously?  Inmann with two other injured receivers?  Landry as the preferred #1 on a strong wild card contender?  Rawls as the clear #1 on a team that needs to have TOP?

Think of the Patriots weekly scheming to take advantage of specific mismatches or tendencies.  Gronk is out, Bennett is hobbled, Edelman is questionable but will still draw doubles.  Dion or White out of the backfield can be contained.  So you really think Mitchell is a PPR difference maker?
Seriously yes.  Inman is a player whose value is contingent upon Tyrell's health. Yes he just had one good week but Mitchell has had two. (Yes I have Inman but won't play him unless we know that Tyrell is limited or out.)   Rawls as all Seattle RB's this year have been underperformers because of the o-line. Landry has been demoted simply because of the emergence of Ajayi.  Mitchell has potential to be a season winner for fantasy players especially with Bennett hobbled. I'm expecting 7 catches-80 yards and a score this week. Not bad for a flex.

I'm a fan of Mitchell and will have him in my lineup, but will temper it with the unpredictability of BB.  White and Lewis could go off, but if all goes as planned, Bennett will remain in to block, Hogan listed as limited, leaving Edelman and Mitchell for primary targets.  We shall see.  

I'm a fan of Mitchell and will have him in my lineup, but will temper it with the unpredictability of BB.  White and Lewis could go off, but if all goes as planned, Bennett will remain in to block, Hogan listed as limited, leaving Edelman and Mitchell for primary targets.  We shall see.  
I'm probably going to play him in at least one league also, but yeah, I get the feeling Belichick is going to screw me somehow

who are you starting him over this week? I'm up in the air with him and Marquise Wilson. I like Wilson's matchup better, but don't trust Barkley. 

Users who are viewing this thread