Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Official Malcolm Mitchell Thread


Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, Ministry of Pain said:

I'm sorry but you are either fishing or just abrasive. Hogan was not the clear choice, he made a lot of his money on one play. The targets on the opening drive and the red zone show Brady clearly like Mitchell...I asked if you watche d the game and you said no but I can't tell if you were trying to be a smart ###...you just come across as a whiny complainer and if things don't go 100% your way for FF including 30 targets all for Mitchell then it's gloom and doom.

and you don't just post once but you keep coming over the top...just my .02 and feedback. Maybe the playoff pressure is getting the best of you, I would encourage some fresh air amigo, don't care how cold it is outside.

No offense but don't be a richard, OK. I posted the facts in the game. They supported the first post I made after the game which was that Mitchell's role was reduced from the prior two games but his RZ usage remained strong. The targets backed that up. I also said in that post that if you started Mitchell in Week 14 he didn't hurt you and that he also doesn't suck and isn't a bad player but that he may end up being more of a WR3 type than a high-impact WR2 which is what he appeared to be coming off an apparently ascending role in the offense. 

If you wish to spin the declining usage between the 20s be my guest but the facts are what the facts are in the Ravens' game. Now as I clearly just said in my earlier post we'll see if that trend remains in place vs. Denver. I've also said, as everyone else I'm sure agrees, Week 16 vs. the Jets is a terrific matchup and I'm sure every Mitchell owner plans to start him that week. 

So if all of this constitutes "whining" to you then by all means put me on Ignore and you won't be bothered by my posts again. Sound good? 

Edited by packersfan
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For you guys on the fence putting him in your lineup, lock him in. Guarantee Pats spent all week working on their Gronk-less RZ offense after settling for a bunch of FGs last week. With Bennett still

Points don't mean much in leagues I play in so not much of a factor, no difference between a defense giving up 11 or 41. Even 7-10 only gets you 5 points. So to answer your question I would prioritize

Lots of endzone targets today.  Glad I picked him off the WW last week in my dynasty league (and that someone dropped him); he looks to hold some promise.

Just now, BigTex said:

Why would it take time for him to be a big part of the offense?

I'm curious. I just watched Brady with my own two eye gloat about this guy and say they need to get him more involved. 

Tex

Coaches and players say that all the time. If Brady is saying that, why isn't he looking for him? I specifically watched #19 all game and many of the reads Brady wasn't even looking to Mitchell. He's on the field, he's getting the playing time. So it's not like Brady can't utilize him because he's not out there. Brady has the ball and dictates where he goes with it. So if he wants to get him more utilized, why isn't he looking his way more? Either Brady doesn't have complete trust in the kid yet, or the gameplan didn't suit what Mitchell's skill set is.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Tommy Collins said:

Coaches and players say that all the time. If Brady is saying that, why isn't he looking for him? I specifically watched #19 all game and many of the reads Brady wasn't even looking to Mitchell. He's on the field, he's getting the playing time. So it's not like Brady can't utilize him because he's not out there. Brady has the ball and dictates where he goes with it. So if he wants to get him more utilized, why isn't he looking his way more? Either Brady doesn't have complete trust in the kid yet, or the gameplan didn't suit what Mitchell's skill set is.

Brady's comments were after the game.

Tex

Edited by BigTex
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BigTex said:

Brady's comment was after the game.

Tex

Okay... so all of a sudden he wants to get him more involved? I have a hard time believing he just started having those feelings about Mitchell. If so, what changed in this game that made a difference? I wouldn't put much weight into his comments. When he starts looking his way and trying to get Mitchell more involved, then I would trust that they're going to make him a focal point. Until then, it's just talk.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tommy Collins said:

Okay... so all of a sudden he wants to get him more involved? I have a hard time believing he just started having those feelings about Mitchell. If so, what changed in this game that made a difference? I wouldn't put much weight into his comments. When he starts looking his way and trying to get Mitchell more involved, then I would trust that they're going to make him a focal point. Until then, it's just talk.

If he trusts him why wouldn't he? Again, why do you think it will take him some time?

Tex

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, packersfan said:

No offense but don't be a richard, OK. I posted the facts in the game. They supported the first post I made after the game which was that Mitchell's role was reduced from the prior two games but his RZ usage remained strong. The targets backed that up. I also said in that post that if you started Mitchell in Week 14 he didn't hurt you and that he also doesn't suck and isn't a bad player but that he may end up being more of a WR3 type than a high-impact WR2 which is what he appeared to be coming off an apparently ascending role in the offense. 

If you wish to spin the declining usage between the 20s be my guest but the facts are what the facts are in the Ravens' game. Now as I clearly just said in my earlier post we'll see if that trend remains in place vs. Denver. I've also said, as everyone else I'm sure agrees, Week 16 vs. the Jets is a terrific matchup and I'm sure every Mitchell owner plans to start him that week. 

So if all of this constitutes "whining" to you then by all means put me on Ignore and you won't be bothered by my posts again. Sound good? 

New Eng jumped out 23-3 and Mitchell was 6 inches from 2 Touchdowns in that scoring explosion where Brady was running Baltimore out of the building. 

That is what you need to know. The rest is mental mast...and for the record I was the first poster to skirt with the term Richard so props for that. 

You are way over complicating this. Just watch the first half and start of the 3rd quarter. The game plan is obvious. Mitchell might not have a big day vs Denver but it's not because the OC is moving the offense away from Mitchell. 

Edited by Ministry of Pain
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Tommy Collins said:

Coaches and players say that all the time. If Brady is saying that, why isn't he looking for him? I specifically watched #19 all game and many of the reads Brady wasn't even looking to Mitchell. He's on the field, he's getting the playing time. So it's not like Brady can't utilize him because he's not out there. Brady has the ball and dictates where he goes with it. So if he wants to get him more utilized, why isn't he looking his way more? Either Brady doesn't have complete trust in the kid yet, or the gameplan didn't suit what Mitchell's skill set is.

Glad someone else saw this and posted it since it's the exact same thing I posted right after the game.

Whiner. :)

To support it with facts - Edelman had 14 targets between the 20s vs. the Ravens, Hogan had 4, Bennett had 3, White had 3 and Mitchell had 1. He clearly wasn't a major part of the game plan in this game between the 20s. Now in terms of RZ usage he's huge there and that's an enormous positive for him. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, BigTex said:

If he trusts him why wouldn't he? Again, why do you think it will take him some time?

Tex

Actions speak louder than words. If he trusts him, why isn't he targeting him more outside of the RZ? There's really no point in debating this. Check out the targets @packersfan just posted.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah snap count to me is highly overrated. Usage is far more important. It's really hard to gauge what Mitchell could be since we're running out of time this season but if he's going to become a legitimate WR2 in 2017 his role between the 20s is going to have grow significantly. He can't just be a RZ-option only. We were seeing signs of that before Week 14 which is why the Ravens' game, in my opinion, was such a buzzkill. Especially when Smith went down I thought Brady might start targeting Mitchell more on the outside but nothing changed with his role at all. He was the RZ guy and pretty much the RZ guy only. Then when the time came to attack for a big play it was Hogan who got the call.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Tommy Collins said:

Actions speak louder than words. If he trusts him, why isn't he targeting him more outside of the RZ? There's really no point in debating this. Check out the targets @packersfan just posted.

I would argue that the RZ targets are the most important. You are making it sound like it's a bad thing. If he is actually targeting him in the RZ like you said that speaks volumes to me. I too watched the game. Stats are what they are and Brady will always spread the ball around to get down field.

You guys are incorrectly saying that Brady is not looking his way when in actuality he is going through his progressions and hitting the first player open. That doesn't mean he's not looking his way there's a huge difference.

So, Brad says he will get him more involved and he's getting the RZ targets already?!?!? Hhhhmmmmmm sounds like a winner to me!

To each his own, that's why we play this game. I guess it comes down to how you view the game. I know they play Denver and Denver is clearly one of the best but after watching that clinic Brady put on against the Ravens I'm a believer.

Good luck,

Tex

Link to post
Share on other sites

Since Gronk went down (4 games), here is the target distribution in NE . . .

Edelman 55
White 23
Mitchell 21
Lewis 18
Hogan 17 (3 games)
Bennett 15
Amendola 8 (3 games)
Develin 4
Blount 2

It's pretty clear Edelman is going to be a target monster, and then targets will be dispersed pretty evenly between the RBs, Hogan, Mitchell, and Bennett. A lot will depend on how defenses are covering people, match ups, situation, field position, etc. Just because Hogan got a play with busted coverage doesn't mean that the same thing couldn't happen for Mitchell next time. Bottom line, no one other than Edelman is going to get a heaping amount of targets in the NE offense.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If you go back and watch the game, Brady was not looking at Mitchell at all between the 20s as a primary read. That was obvious on nearly every pass attempt. It's hard to say what read he was on the one target he did get which turned into a great play downfield because Brady had to move up in the pocket before he threw. But that was Mitchell's only non-RZ target. Nearly every other time Mitchell was on the field and Brady just wouldn't look at him. What we're saying is accurate. His role between the 20s Monday night was virtually non-existent. Whether that was gameplan specific or a trend is something none of us know and none of us should even attempt to guess what Belichick's thinking or will do next.

The good news - and it's been stated repeatedly - is the RZ usage. That should remain in place because Mitchell has proven he's damn good there and without Gronk especially the Patriots need all hands on deck there. Brady threw an absolute laser on the TD to Mitchell and Mitchell was ready for it and made a great catch. A rookie making a play like that has to show up big for Brady who's all about earning trust and I'm sure it wasn't lost on Belichick or McDaniels either. So if you are starting Mitchell this week you're doing it hoping for some RZ shots because it stands to reason Mitchell will be involved there. If you're starting him hoping for a renewed role between the 20s vs. arguably the best perimeter CBs in the NFL well good luck with that.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, packersfan said:

If you go back and watch the game, Brady was not looking at Mitchell at all between the 20s as a primary read. That was obvious on nearly every pass attempt. It's hard to say what read he was on the one target he did get which turned into a great play downfield because Brady had to move up in the pocket before he threw. But that was Mitchell's only non-RZ target. Nearly every other time Mitchell was on the field and Brady just wouldn't look at him. What we're saying is accurate. His role between the 20s Monday night was virtually non-existent. Whether that was gameplan specific or a trend is something none of us know and none of us should even attempt to guess what Belichick's thinking or will do next.

The good news - and it's been stated repeatedly - is the RZ usage. That should remain in place because Mitchell has proven he's damn good there and without Gronk especially the Patriots need all hands on deck there. Brady threw an absolute laser on the TD to Mitchell and Mitchell was ready for it and made a great catch. A rookie making a play like that has to show up big for Brady who's all about earning trust and I'm sure it wasn't lost on Belichick or McDaniels either. So if you are starting Mitchell this week you're doing it hoping for some RZ shots because it stands to reason Mitchell will be involved there. If you're starting him hoping for a renewed role between the 20s vs. arguably the best perimeter CBs in the NFL well good luck with that.  

You're basically arguing that yards are more important than TDs.

"Between the 20s" (yards) vs "RZ" (TDs)

Give me the TD opportunities (RZ targets)

I would also argue that if Brady MUST TRUST him if he is getting RZ targets. I'm not sure why you guys believe Brady doesn't trust him when Brady has already said he will get him more involved in the passing game. You keep over looking that fact. Instead you say he has to earn Brady's trust but Brady has ALREADY said he has yet according to TC somehow that's QB speak?!?!? Lol

You guys are tough! Mitchell can't win with you guys. 

Tex

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

Since Gronk went down (4 games), here is the target distribution in NE . . .

Edelman 55
White 23
Mitchell 21
Lewis 18
Hogan 17 (3 games)
Bennett 15
Amendola 8 (3 games)
Develin 4
Blount 2

It's pretty clear Edelman is going to be a target monster, and then targets will be dispersed pretty evenly between the RBs, Hogan, Mitchell, and Bennett. A lot will depend on how defenses are covering people, match ups, situation, field position, etc. Just because Hogan got a play with busted coverage doesn't mean that the same thing couldn't happen for Mitchell next time. Bottom line, no one other than Edelman is going to get a heaping amount of targets in the NE offense.

Thanks for posting this! 

Tex

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, BigTex said:

You're basically arguing that yards are more important than TDs.

"Between the 20s" (yards) vs "RZ" (TDs)

Give me the TD opportunities (RZ targets)

I would also argue that if Brady MUST TRUST him if he is getting RZ targets. I'm not sure why you guys believe Brady doesn't trust him when Brady has already said he will get him more involved in the passing game. You keep over looking that fact. Instead you say he has to earn Brady's trust but Brady has ALREADY said he has yet according to TC somehow that's QB speak?!?!? Lol

You guys are tough! Mitchell can't win with you guys. 

Tex

Im not trusting him or not being tough at all-- Im just not playing him on the road vs Denver. You can if you'd like. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, BigTex said:

You're basically arguing that yards are more important than TDs.

"Between the 20s" (yards) vs "RZ" (TDs)

Give me the TD opportunities (RZ targets)

I would also argue that if Brady MUST TRUST him if he is getting RZ targets. I'm not sure why you guys believe Brady doesn't trust him when Brady has already said he will get him more involved in the passing game. You keep over looking that fact. Instead you say he has to earn Brady's trust but Brady has ALREADY said he has yet according to TC somehow that's QB speak?!?!? Lol

You guys are tough! Mitchell can't win with you guys. 

Tex

Let me clarify my position. I LOVE the RZ usage Mitchell is getting. That's by far his trump card and I do not believe it's going to change. He's damn good there and I doubt the Patriots will stop using him there. If you're going to start him this week - and you have said you will - that's the reason to do it. 

I was bummed by the (in my opinion) shocking lack of usage between the 20s vs. the Ravens. I wasn't expecting that to occur, especially on a night when Brady threw for over 400 yards and the Ravens' top CB got hurt. But the Patriots clearly did not want to use Mitchell in that capacity and they clearly did not and nothing that occurred during the game was going to change how they game planned for that game. So even after Smith got hurt they stuck with the plan and obviously it worked.

Again, we really don't have a lot of time left in the season to draw a big-picture approach for Mitchell so we're kind of down to two games (maybe three for anyone playing in Week 17 leagues). Obviously this week is a brutal matchup and most Mitchell owners probably aren't going to start him. I know I'm not and the reason is entirely due to the matchup. I think most are planning to lock him in next week assuming nothing happens to him this week. But I'd still like to see more usage between the 20s from him. That would have me feeling he has more WR2-type potential than a WR3-type player. If we see more usage between the 20s from him this week I'll be over the freaking moon going into Week 16 because I think his upside will be enormous vs. the Jets.  

Hope that clarifies where I'm at with him.

Edited by packersfan
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, packersfan said:

Let me clarify my position. I LOVE the RZ usage Mitchell is getting. That's by far his trump card and I do not believe it's going to change. He's damn good there and I doubt the Patriots will stop using him there. If you're going to start him this week - and you have said you will - that's the reason to do it. 

I was bummed by the (in my opinion) shocking lack of usage between the 20s vs. the Ravens. I wasn't expecting that to occur, especially on a night when Brady threw for over 400 yards and the Ravens' top CB got hurt. But the Patriots clearly did not want to use Mitchell in that capacity and they clearly did not and nothing that occurred during the game was going to change how they game planned for that game. So even after Smith got hurt they stuck with the plan and obviously it worked.

Again, we really don't have a lot of time left in the season to draw a big-picture approach for Mitchell so we're kind of down to two games (maybe three for anyone playing in Week 17 leagues). Obviously this week is a brutal matchup and most Mitchell owners probably aren't going to start him. I know I'm not and the reason is entirely due to the matchup. I think most are planning to lock him in next week assuming nothing happens to him this week. But I'd still like to see more usage between the 20s from him. That would have me feeling he has more WR2-type potential than a WR3-type player. If we see more usage between the 20s from him this week I'll be over the freaking moon going into Week 16 because I think his upside will be enormous vs. the Jets.  

Hope that clarifies where I'm at with him.

Thanks for clarifying that!

Tex

Link to post
Share on other sites

I did find that press conference for whatever reason they cut a good portion of Brady's comments about Mitchell but if you listen to what he's saying you can get an idea of the direction in which Brady was headed.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/new-england-patriots/0ap3000000756254/Patriots-postgame-press-conference

Tex

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BigTex said:

Thanks for clarifying that!

Tex

The other thing is - consistent targets typically result in more consistent weekly production for a receiver. If you're heavily dependent upon touchdowns and those go away you can have a problem. Just ask Donte Moncrief owners about that in Week 14. 

Mitchell hasn't been entirely TD-dependent the past four weeks but the fact that nearly all of his usage came in the RZ in Week 14 was something that did concern me and that's what I've been trying to articulate. That's not the type of trend I want to see personally. The good news is for Week 16 I don't think it will matter. But for this week if you're going to start him you sure hope that what we saw Monday night is not the start of a trend. The problem is the Denver CBs are just nasty vs. perimeter WRs.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, packersfan said:

The other thing is - consistent targets typically result in more consistent weekly production for a receiver. If you're heavily dependent upon touchdowns and those go away you can have a problem. Just ask Donte Moncrief owners about that in Week 14. 

Mitchell hasn't been entirely TD-dependent the past four weeks but the fact that nearly all of his usage came in the RZ in Week 14 was something that did concern me and that's what I've been trying to articulate. That's not the type of trend I want to see personally. The good news is for Week 16 I don't think it will matter. But for this week if you're going to start him you sure hope that what we saw Monday night is not the start of a trend. The problem is the Denver CBs are just nasty vs. perimeter WRs.  

TD dependant seems to be your favorite phrase :)

I will agree that without TDs he isn't posting fantastic numbers. But I don't expect him to. I kind of expect him to take a share of the RZ pie that is available with gronk being out. And that seems to be the case so far . 

That being said, for this week I am benching him unless something happens in the meantime to get me excited about his prospects this week. I have better options so far. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Dr. Brew said:

TD dependant seems to be your favorite phrase :)

I will agree that without TDs he isn't posting fantastic numbers. But I don't expect him to. I kind of expect him to take a share of the RZ pie that is available with gronk being out. And that seems to be the case so far . 

That being said, for this week I am benching him unless something happens in the meantime to get me excited about his prospects this week. I have better options so far. 

I have a few of those guys on my best team right now with that issue and we seem to have several of them together don't we? :)

I do like Mitchell a lot and I really wanna make that clear. There's nothing wrong with the 14 points he put up on Monday night. I just try to take a balanced approach to the players I have on my team. I find that it helps me more properly assess their actual values rather than thinking everyone I have is really great. If I can see any potential flaws or concerns now that helps and I saw something on Monday night with Mitchell that did concern me. The good news is the season is running out of time so there may not be a huge amount of time left for it to become a huge issue. But it clearly did undercut his potential to have a bigger game in Week 14. No doubt about that. 

Edited by packersfan
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, packersfan said:

The other thing is - consistent targets typically result in more consistent weekly production for a receiver. If you're heavily dependent upon touchdowns and those go away you can have a problem. Just ask Donte Moncrief owners about that in Week 14. 

Mitchell hasn't been entirely TD-dependent the past four weeks but the fact that nearly all of his usage came in the RZ in Week 14 was something that did concern me and that's what I've been trying to articulate. That's not the type of trend I want to see personally. The good news is for Week 16 I don't think it will matter. But for this week if you're going to start him you sure hope that what we saw Monday night is not the start of a trend. The problem is the Denver CBs are just nasty vs. perimeter WRs.  

I wouldn't compare the Colts to the Patriots right now. Brady is the best QB to ever play this game. I'm not at all a Patriots fan not even close but I'm not a hater either so the comparison to Moncrief is not even close but I get what you're trying to say. I don't agree because you're making the assumption that he IS/WILL BE TD dependent and we don't know that for sure and that's not Brady's MO.

I agree 100% on the Denver CBs they are something to be fear and I wouldn't blame anyone for benching any player on the Patriots this week.

Tex

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BigTex said:

I wouldn't compare the Colts to the Patriots right now. Brady is the best QB to ever play this game. I'm not at all a Patriots fan not even close but I'm not a hater either so the comparison to Moncrief is not even close but I get what you're trying to say. I don't agree because you're making the assumption that he IS/WILL BE TD dependent and we don't know that for sure and that's not Brady's MO.

I agree 100% on the Denver CBs they are something to be fear and I wouldn't blame anyone for benching any player on the Patriots this week.

Tex

You're right, I don't know what will happen. I can only go off what we've seen occur. What we saw prior to Week 14 was an increase in his overall role. Then that got shut down pretty emphatically and he was almost exclusively a RZ option only. We'll have to see what his role is against Denver. Like I said before the matchup against the Jets is so great I'm not sure it matters how the Patriots use him, I'm gonna start him anyway but I sure would love to see him being targeted all over the field as opposed to RZ only. If he was back to being targeted everywhere he could be a potential WR1 in Week 16 as opposed to being an upside WR3 play. The latter makes him a nice guy to have that week. The former could make him a championship week difference maker.    

Link to post
Share on other sites

Other than Edelman, there is really no way of knowing what roles the Patriots skill position guys will have from week to week. That's just how it is. Even if he had gotten 10 targets this week spread all over the field, he could be phased out for the following week. IMO, it is impossible to read and project consistent roles for Patriots players. That's why they usually fall on draft day and why there is always risk when playing them. But this shouldn't be news to people, it's been that way for a number of years. Gronk and Edelman did the heavy lifting, everyone else was game plan specific.

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

Other than Edelman, there is really no way of knowing what roles the Patriots skill position guys will have from week to week. That's just how it is. Even if he had gotten 10 targets this week spread all over the field, he could be phased out for the following week. IMO, it is impossible to read and project consistent roles for Patriots players. That's why they usually fall on draft day and why there is always risk when playing them. But this shouldn't be news to people, it's been that way for a number of years. Gronk and Edelman did the heavy lifting, everyone else was game plan specific.

Exactly.  The reason for Mitchell's lack of usage between the 20s is because Edelman is usually the first read.  There will be specific plays designed for the other targets but in their base offense, Edelman is Brady's first look because he has proven that he can consistently beat his man.  If the D is playing single man coverage, that is where Brady is likely going with the ball, regardless of his other reads. 

If Edelman gets double teamed, or they get down near the goal line, the emphasis will shift to other targets like Mitchell and Bennett as Edelman's success rate will diminish.  If you can predict whether the defense will make stopping Edelman a point of emphasis, then you should be able to rely more heavily upon those other targets.  Good luck predicting that.  I'm happy with the TD dependent production Mitchell is getting with Edelman as the focal point, and will look forward to increased targets when/if a defense tries to take Edelman away.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/14/2016 at 9:54 AM, BigTex said:

If he trusts him why wouldn't he? Again, why do you think it will take him some time?

Tex

Do you understand my reluctance to take anything Brady said as meaningful? 67 snaps and caught 1 pass. Played more than any other WR by a significant margin.

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Dr. Brew said:

Thoughts about using him this week? 

I didn't drop him last week because this matchup vs NYJ could be huge. It's awfully tempting. The Pats have the 1st round bye locked down. Now it's just ensuring they get #1 seed. I worry that an early lead by Patriots (which is what we expect, but they placed NE tough last time) could be more Blount to chew the clock and get on to next week. From the standpoint of trying to keep your guys healthy for the playoffs, running the ball seems to be the smart way to go. I don't think the Patriots have anything to prove by running up the score.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Tommy Collins said:

I didn't drop him last week because this matchup vs NYJ could be huge. It's awfully tempting. The Pats have the 1st round bye locked down. Now it's just ensuring they get #1 seed. I worry that an early lead by Patriots (which is what we expect, but they placed NE tough last time) could be more Blount to chew the clock and get on to next week. From the standpoint of trying to keep your guys healthy for the playoffs, running the ball seems to be the smart way to go. I don't think the Patriots have anything to prove by running up the score.

Yeah these are my thoughts. My scenario is this: 
Been benching Diggs the last 2 weeks. Week 14 for Mitchell, Week 15 for Gabriel. Now week 16 and Mitchell has a juicey matchup but coming off a stinker, Diggs looks forgotten in that offense but blew GB up last time they met (and GB is not very good against the pass). Gabriel has been a top 10 WR for the last 7 weeks now, but Julio is now back (presumably) 

At this point I'm between Mitchell and Gabriel. Can't see myself going with Diggs who is as cold as Gabriel is hot. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dr. Brew said:

Thoughts about using him this week? 

I'm a little concerned about Michael Floyd in case the Patriots decide to activate him and give him some run. I don't think Floyd's any good but just being out there as another perimeter WR could muck things up a little for Mitchell possibly. But matchup is still terrific obviously. 

Personally, with AJ Green expected back Mitchell will sit for me. DJax will be my WR4 assuming nothing happens to him tonight. 

Edited by packersfan
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Tommy Collins said:

Do you understand my reluctance to take anything Brady said as meaningful? 67 snaps and caught 1 pass. Played more than any other WR by a significant margin.

It is the Denver pass D.    It was obviously the game plan to the run the ball and its not as if really good receives haven't been made to look mediocre.

TY: 4/41/0

AJ: 8/77/0

Julio: 2/29/0

Cooper: 6/56/0

Evan: 5/59/0

 

5 of the top 15 receivers in the game all held well below averages.   AJ with only decent outing by PPR standards.

 

if you started him expecting 5/75/1TD you should've done more research.

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, tcook81 said:

It is the Denver pass D.    It was obviously the game plan to the run the ball and its not as if really good receives haven't been made to look mediocre.

TY: 4/41/0

AJ: 8/77/0

Julio: 2/29/0

Cooper: 6/56/0

Evan: 5/59/0

 

5 of the top 15 receivers in the game all held well below averages.   AJ with only decent outing by PPR standards.

 

if you started him expecting 5/75/1TD you should've done more research.

I didn't start him. BigTex heard what Brady said about Mitchell after last week and expected him to be a focal point of the offense moving forward because Brady said he needed to be more involved. I was trying to tell him to pump the brakes. It's still Edelman, Bennett and the RBs ahead of him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tommy Collins said:

I didn't start him. BigTex heard what Brady said about Mitchell after last week and expected him to be a focal point of the offense moving forward because Brady said he needed to be more involved. I was trying to tell him to pump the brakes. It's still Edelman, Bennett and the RBs ahead of him.

For now...

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, tcook81 said:

It is the Denver pass D.    It was obviously the game plan to the run the ball and its not as if really good receives haven't been made to look mediocre.

if you started him expecting 5/75/1TD you should've done more research.

Preach!  He was on my bench this week based on the opponent. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Tommy Collins said:

I didn't drop him last week because this matchup vs NYJ could be huge. It's awfully tempting. The Pats have the 1st round bye locked down. Now it's just ensuring they get #1 seed. I worry that an early lead by Patriots (which is what we expect, but they placed NE tough last time) could be more Blount to chew the clock and get on to next week. From the standpoint of trying to keep your guys healthy for the playoffs, running the ball seems to be the smart way to go. I don't think the Patriots have anything to prove by running up the score.

There are some coaches that seem to draw BB's ire...Bowles seems like a puppy on a sinking ship so I'm leaning on the Pats to get ahead and play "four corners" running the ball.

I'm stuck because I have a similar issue that keeps popping up in this thread (the Gabriel / Julio situation).  Probably go Gabriel for the upside, but there's a lot of mouths to feed if Julio is back.

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Statorama said:

There are some coaches that seem to draw BB's ire...Bowles seems like a puppy on a sinking ship so I'm leaning on the Pats to get ahead and play "four corners" running the ball.

I'm stuck because I have a similar issue that keeps popping up in this thread (the Gabriel / Julio situation).  Probably go Gabriel for the upside, but there's a lot of mouths to feed if Julio is back.

Turf toe is rough for a WR. Dr Chao was talking about it on Sirius and how using a metal plate in the cleat to protect the toe prevents the WR from pushing off effectively. Doesn't sound promising next week.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Tommy Collins said:

Do you understand my reluctance to take anything Brady said as meaningful? 67 snaps and caught 1 pass. Played more than any other WR by a significant margin.

No dude, you said Brady didn't trust him. Brady and the coach says they do. Do you think one game makes your assumption right? If you watched the game Elderman was the first read and being the bad ### that he is he was open often so Brady threw the ball him. When Mitchell was lined up in the slot (wasn't often) he was getting open so Brady was throwing him the ball if it was there.

Watch the game!

Tex

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BigTex said:

No dude, you said Brady didn't trust him. Brady and the coach says they do. Do you think one game makes your assumption right? If you watched the game Elderman was the first read and being the bad ### that he is he was open often so Brady threw the ball him. When Mitchell was lined up in the slot (wasn't often) he was getting open so Brady was throwing him the ball if it was there.

Watch the game!

Tex

Whatever you say. I've watched the last 2 games for the record. I get you were excited about Brady's interview but like has been said many times, Mitchell isn't a priority until the RZ. There was no reason to believe things would change because of a post-game interview. Now that we can see it hasnt, the credit is being given to Edelman for being a badass. I am not replying to your posts anymore as I seem to have to repeat myself each time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Dr. Brew said:

anyone rolling with mitchell this week? 

deciding between mitchell Gabriel and lockett 

Gabriel has 7 TD over the last 7 games and Jones has been out or hampered. The Falcons hung 48 on Carolina earlier in the year.and Ryan had 503/4.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...