What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

⚽ Soccer Match-day Thread (2 Viewers)

You'd think by now players know not to bring their head in like that. Seems a reasonable ask.

No one's fault by Pepe even if the defender made a meal of it.
Just because Pepe did something stupid, it doesn't make what Alioski did ok. Whose behavior do you want stamped out of the game? The answer is very obvious to me. 

You'd think by now players know not to bring their head in like that. Seems a reasonable ask.

No one's fault by Pepe even if the defender made a meal of it.
Yeah, I'm not sure how this is an "everything that's wrong with the game" moment. Everyone who plays/watches with regularity knows if you get caught doing it you're going to get run no matter the intent or injury. Dumb move no matter how much the guy had been dogging him. He got caught. Ref made the right call. Also cost Sporting Real Christo United Football Club points. 🤬 

Leading with the head is ok- histrionics, not as much?

I'm confused what you're looking for here.

Pretty sure we're all against the fakery, fwiw.
I don't see getting in someone's face as a big deal. If their heads happen to touch that doesn't really change things for me. 

Faking an injury and rolling around like an idiot to manufacture a call that fundamentally changes the course of the game is way, way worse imo. I'm not really sure how else to explain it...

Yeah, I'm not sure how this is an "everything that's wrong with the game" moment. Everyone who plays/watches with regularity knows if you get caught doing it you're going to get run no matter the intent or injury. Dumb move no matter how much the guy had been dogging him. He got caught. Ref made the right call. Also cost Sporting Real Christo United Football Club points. 🤬 
Well yeah, that's the point..

Almost with a brace. :lmao:
This made me check if it's ever happened. Not only has it happened, but this is spectacular.

Oxford United’s veteran centre-back Michael Duberry was in rare old form against Hereford yesterday afternoon, scoring the perfect hat-trick (one left, one right, one head) in his side’s 2-2 draw at the Kassam.

You may have noticed that the maths doesn’t quite add up there – and with good reason. Duberry opened his account with an own-goal, squeezing Joe Colbeck’s cross past his own ‘keeper with his dangling left foot, before leaping to head home yet another own-goal in the 89th minute to put Oxford 2-1 down with less than a minute to play.

Not finished, Duberry then grabbed a last-ditch equaliser at the right end with his right foot to draw the U’s level in stoppage time and complete his ‘perfect’ afternoon’s work…

I don't see getting in someone's face as a big deal. If their heads happen to touch that doesn't really change things for me. 

Faking an injury and rolling around like an idiot to manufacture a call that fundamentally changes the course of the game is way, way worse imo. I'm not really sure how else to explain it...
That can't happen if Pepe doesn't lean his head in. It's a clear rule with no interpretation needed. Make contact, straight red.  

Just because the victim makes a meal of it to gain attention, that's not the problem.

If he does that with no contact, that's simulation and he will rightly get carded.

There isn't much to really debate on this given the rules.

Really not any different than going down in the box. I have no problem with it if there's contact, even if exaggerated. If it's a dive, then it gets carded. VAR has actually gotten rid of a lot of this. So there is some benefit to its current implementation.

That can't happen if Pepe doesn't lean his head in. It's a clear rule with no interpretation needed. Make contact, straight red.  

Just because the victim makes a meal of it to gain attention, that's not the problem.

If he does that with no contact, that's simulation and he will rightly get carded.

There isn't much to really debate on this given the rules.
Right, I'm talking about the rule that allows this stuff to happen. When it's exploited it's so gross. I don't have all the answers but it really sucks that this kind of stuff is normalized. 

Really not any different than going down in the box. I have no problem with it if there's contact, even if exaggerated. If it's a dive, then it gets carded. VAR has actually gotten rid of a lot of this. So there is some benefit to its current implementation.
I think the difference is that I don't see what Pepe did as needing to be called a foul at all. No one was in danger of being harmed by his behavior. Zero tolerance rules are generally pretty terrible.

This made me check if it's ever happened. Not only has it happened, but this is spectacular.

Oxford United’s veteran centre-back Michael Duberry was in rare old form against Hereford yesterday afternoon, scoring the perfect hat-trick (one left, one right, one head) in his side’s 2-2 draw at the Kassam.

You may have noticed that the maths doesn’t quite add up there – and with good reason. Duberry opened his account with an own-goal, squeezing Joe Colbeck’s cross past his own ‘keeper with his dangling left foot, before leaping to head home yet another own-goal in the 89th minute to put Oxford 2-1 down with less than a minute to play.

Not finished, Duberry then grabbed a last-ditch equaliser at the right end with his right foot to draw the U’s level in stoppage time and complete his ‘perfect’ afternoon’s work…
So good

Olivier Giroud - such a beautiful, lovely man.
I'm still not quite understanding why he's getting so little play.  While Pulisic was certainly Chelsea's best player after the restart, they still wouldn't have made top 4 without Giroud being in great form during that run too.  

If they lose him in January due to lack of game time that will be a huge loss IMO.  The guy is just clutch.

Westerberg said:
Needs to be starting.
I think so - I can somewhat understand why Ole wanted to bring him in to the side slowly.  Assuming he’s ok with it then he’s a great change of pace and something different than Martial/Greenwood/Rashford which have some similar qualities.

Cavani - oh my.  

Westerberg said:
Needs to be starting.

What a turnaround.  United played well, although they didn't take their chances.  Southampton did.  Not sure there is much De Gea could do although he seems to be getting blamed for the free kick goal.  I am surprised more teams don't crown the box like that vs United.  De Gea isn't known for his strength in the air.  United showed great spirit, hopefully its a jumping off point to get going and show some consistency.

Cavani came on and changed the game for sure.  His movement and instincs in front of goal are things the other forwards for United are lacking.  His work rate is tremendous as well.  

I am not sure he should be starting but if he keeps it up it will be hard to keep him out.  At this point though, I wouldn't argue with a front 3 of Martial Cavani Rashford.  

I do not like the 4-4-2 diamond for this team.  It gets them too narrow.  They already play too much down the left and I think this makes it worse.  They still need a true right sided attacker to open the game up for them.  If they go with a front 3 of Martial Cavani Rashford that might help.  Bruno, Fred and Vdb behind them are looking solid as well.  Problem is this then brings back their lack of depth issues we saw unless Pogba becomes a super sub.  

But for now, a good win vs an in form SH side and on to PSG on Wed.

Cavani has more shots on goal in the premier league this year than Martial.  Hasn't started a game yet.

van De Beek should be starting every game.  Was fantastic.  Fred was very good as well.

Matic was terrific first half, then well, he just doesn't have the legs for a full game.  

Telles had a decent game as well.  Plus, when he's playing, Brandon Williams is not.  Win win.

And obviously Bruno is the best signing United's made in 10+ years.  Probably since WR10.

Read an article today that made me pretty much vomit.  United's paying something like 30M+ this year for 4 guys that will not be playing. Romero, who Everton was willing to pickup on a loan and pickup his salary, but United said nah.  Rojo who wanted to go back to Estudiantes, but United said, nah.  Phil Jones who they just signed to a 4 year extension last year.  Granted, he's hurt, but instead of having him get surgery, they tried shopping him around.  When everyone looked at United like WTF, they said, okay Phil, get the surgery, so he's out (as an aside they offered him a testimonial game, and he was like the only people that would attend would be his parents, probably right.)  But the biggest ####### head scratcher of them all is Igahlo who United just had to have.  Paid a boat load for him and more so that he wouldn't return to China.  He barely gets a sniff of the pitch other than some FA cup ties and pay this guy like 180K/week, and then are like, ah, let's go out and get Cavani, so basically, you have seen the last of Igahlo in a United kit.  Thank God money is not an issue for this club because they don't know wtf they are doing.

Cavani has more shots on goal in the premier league this year than Martial.  Hasn't started a game yet.

van De Beek should be starting every game.  Was fantastic.  Fred was very good as well.

Matic was terrific first half, then well, he just doesn't have the legs for a full game.  

Telles had a decent game as well.  Plus, when he's playing, Brandon Williams is not.  Win win.

And obviously Bruno is the best signing United's made in 10+ years.  Probably since WR10.

Read an article today that made me pretty much vomit.  United's paying something like 30M+ this year for 4 guys that will not be playing. Romero, who Everton was willing to pickup on a loan and pickup his salary, but United said nah.  Rojo who wanted to go back to Estudiantes, but United said, nah.  Phil Jones who they just signed to a 4 year extension last year.  Granted, he's hurt, but instead of having him get surgery, they tried shopping him around.  When everyone looked at United like WTF, they said, okay Phil, get the surgery, so he's out (as an aside they offered him a testimonial game, and he was like the only people that would attend would be his parents, probably right.)  But the biggest ####### head scratcher of them all is Igahlo who United just had to have.  Paid a boat load for him and more so that he wouldn't return to China.  He barely gets a sniff of the pitch other than some FA cup ties and pay this guy like 180K/week, and then are like, ah, let's go out and get Cavani, so basically, you have seen the last of Igahlo in a United kit.  Thank God money is not an issue for this club because they don't know wtf they are doing.
My issue with Matic is he passes to slowly and predominately to the left.   Which is usually compact because thats United's primary attack point.  He and McGuire slow it down way to often and too much.  

VDB and Bruno can and should play together.  I like Fred, but a true holding MF (Like Carrick) would unleach those two.  Hoping they focus on that on a central defender in the window.

I like Telles.  Better then Shaw.  Williams needs a bit more time but should be an option over Fosu Mensah for bench and spot starts behind Telles and AWB.

Martial's shooting/finishing is struggling.  His holdup play and interchanging with Rashford and Bruno is underrated.  

I feel bad for Ighalo.  But Cavani is an upgrade so when the chance came, I am glad they took it.  He will be leaving at the end of December.

I feel worse for Romero.  Ole and the board screwed him.  He should have played in the semis of the cups and then should have been sold.  He has been a great backup and done well whenever needed, never complained or caused problems and they tossed that away.....

Rojo and Jones need to go.  As does Lingard.  United overpaid them so why would they leave?  Why would anyone want them?

And at this point does Pogba get back in the team?

I am not sure he should be starting but if he keeps it up it will be hard to keep him out.  At this point though, I wouldn't argue with a front 3 of Martial Cavani Rashford.  
Only if Pogba sits - otherwise you don't have the defensive cover and work rate in the midfield.  Pogba is super talented but a head case.  He doesn't work hard for the team.

And I still have a big issue with how Ole has the team ready for what most would say are middle to low table matches.  No offense to Southampton but having to consistently make a come back isn't going to cut it.  Through 9 games they have a GD of 0.

Now, to give him some credit.  They are 25% done with the season and still have their fate in the league in their own hands.  Granted that's partly due to the poor start from Liverpool and City but even with that I don't think anybody sees them seriously challenging for the title this year unless something drastic changes.  They will most likely be in another battle for top-4 and considering how much they are spending that won't be good enough for too much longer.

Also, unfortunately, there's a decent chance they don't advance in CL with the 2 games they have left.

I'm just not sure what to do here.  If he sits too much he'll be a cancer.  But it seems obvious to me United is better without him.  Not sure if they could sell him in Jan but they should sure try.
:goodposting:

Agreed, its a tough spot, as you said below he is talented.  But I don't think he is a fit in the EPL.  It might be time to say good bye, again.  Get the money for him and use it on a CB and DM and Sancho. Yes I still want that right sided attacker and improvements in the center.

Only if Pogba sits - otherwise you don't have the defensive cover and work rate in the midfield.  Pogba is super talented but a head case.  He doesn't work hard for the team.

And I still have a big issue with how Ole has the team ready for what most would say are middle to low table matches.  No offense to Southampton but having to consistently make a come back isn't going to cut it.  Through 9 games they have a GD of 0.

Now, to give him some credit.  They are 25% done with the season and still have their fate in the league in their own hands.  Granted that's partly due to the poor start from Liverpool and City but even with that I don't think anybody sees them seriously challenging for the title this year unless something drastic changes.  They will most likely be in another battle for top-4 and considering how much they are spending that won't be good enough for too much longer.

Also, unfortunately, there's a decent chance they don't advance in CL with the 2 games they have left.
:goodposting:

No, you can't have Pogba, Bruno, and VdB starting together for several reasons.  None play holding or defense and there is no depth on the bench. The diamond with Fred or Matic holding could work, but I am not a fan of the diamond or all three together.  

Losing to the Turkish team was much worse then you want to believe. Had they beat them both games United are already through.  But they don't do things the easy way.  I read that all they need is 1 point from the next 2 to advance.  PSG at home this week and Lepzig away next.  Their away form has been good, but they need to go take care of business this week so they aren't leaving it late. PSG is not in form but will want retribution.  Neither game will be easy, they need to get up for it.  And with a suddenly tough (and 5th place) West Ham in between, they need to keep the levels up.

If United wins their game in hand, they are level with Chelsea and in 4th on gd, 2 points behind Spurs and Liverpool.  Is that good enough for United?  No.  But with no one running away with the league, it puts them in the mix.  

Users who are viewing this thread