What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

⚽ Soccer Match-day Thread (3 Viewers)

Battle for last CL and Europe spots is pretty tight today.  Right now Frankfurt is in 8th, but can get all the way into the CL if they can turn this around.
I'm just saying... BM putting this to bed early and winning- again- is bundesliga excitment. :mellow:

but yeah- munchygladpants and frankfurt and the others in there 4-8 with lots to play for. 

Wolfsburg up 8-1 really trying to overturn the goal difference to get directly in the Europa group stage

Last edited by a moderator:
Messi ends the season with a brace making it his 6th season with over 50 or more goals.  Rest of the team just looks tired and uninspired.  Will be interesting to see if anyone else steps up for the Copa Del Rey final next week.

RBs at Cincy. 

RBs just awful...but not Robles who had some insane saves to keep them at 0-0. And Cincy pulled an awful, literally giving the game away.

All-time appearances:

• Real Madrid - 16 (13)
  • AC Milan - 11 (7)
  • Bayern Munich - 10 (5)
  • Liverpool - 9 (5/6)
  • Juventus - 9 (2)
  • FC Barcelona - 8 (5)
  • Benfica - 7 (2)
  • Ajax Amsterdam - 6 (4)
  • Inter Milan - 5 (3)
  • Manchester United - 5 (3)
  • Atletico Madrid - 3 (0)
No other team has more than two appearances in a final.

Fun stat:  the 18 teams with exactly one CL appearance have a combined record of 4 and 14 in the game.
Its interesting - this will be one of the few matches all season where Spurs have everyone available for selection.

I have no idea how Spurs will line up.  (I only know that no matter who Poch selects, or what formation he plays - approximately 63.4% of posters on Spurs Community will complain...)

At least 1 attacking player, that everyone expects to start, will have to be on the bench - unless Poch gets really wierd.

Players guaranteed to start:

1. Lloris
  2. Alderweireld
  3. Vertonghen
  4. Rose
  5. Sissoko
  6. Eriksen

GK - Lloris

RB - Trippier probably starts, but he is persona non-grata for most Spurs fans, but Aurier hasn't had any games in a while

CB - Poch could go with 2 or 3 in the back to start the match - the two are Alderweireld and Vertonghen, Sanchez would start if Poch goes with 3

LB - Rose is pretty locked into the starting role right now, with Davies on the bench

CM - Sissoko should have been Spurs Player of the Season - he will start.  Then, depending on formation, Poch could go with Winks, Dier, or Eriksen here.  Winks is practicing, and could start, or, if Poch starts in a 343 defensive/counter-attacking set-up, Dier could get the start.  Or, to get all the best attacking players on the field, Poch could put Eriksen in a deep-lying playmaker role.  (Dele is also an option, if Eriksen plays further up the field.)

Attacking Players - Kane is practicing fully - but Poch still has a question to answer about his fitness.  Is it better to start Kane, or bring him on after 60 minutes, playing for extra-time/Pens?  If you wait, it might not matter...but, if he can't go more than 60 minutes - then you have to decide which 60 minutes.  I think he will start, but I won't be shocked if he starts on the bench.  If Kane does not start, Poch still has to decide between a very fluid front-3 of Son, Lucas and Dele - with Eriksen in behind, or going with Llorente as a Target man, and using Son and Lucas to use pace on counter-attacks.

Assuming that Winks plays in CM - that leaves Kane, Son, Lucas, Dele, Eriksen (and Lamela) for 4 spots - someone has to sit.  Eriksen is locked in.  It seems like the choice is really among Dele, Son and Lucas - and most would probably pick Dele to sit - given Lucas' form, and Son's season-long goal scoring.  But, I think its better to bring one of Son and/or Lucas off the bench to play against tired legs.  Dele coming in off the bench does not really bring anything new to the table = he is better off starting, and then if you need more attacking, you bring on Lucas (or Son).

All-time finals record by leagues (different winners):

• Spain 18-11 (2)
  • England 13-9 (5/6)
  • Italy 12-16 (3)
  • Germany 7-10 (3)
  • Netherlands 6-2 (3)
  • Portugal 5-4 (2)
  • France 1-5 (1)

You might be able to win a bar bet with "The Netherlands has more different teams that have won the Champions League than Spain."

or, better...

"England is the only nation with more different teams that have won the Champions League than The Netherlands."

How can FIFA improve on the sheer spectacle that is the stretcher crew? Make them wear Formula 1 style fire suits maybe? Actually require them to make siren noises as they trundle on?

I turned on just late enough to miss the injury and I can’t tell if South Africa’s keeper was really injured (hope not) or if by that  point he was still covering his eyes out of shame. 

I've only recently started getting into soccer so I'm new at watching matches like this. I feel like losing a promotion game might feel worse than losing the Super Bowl.

I've only recently started getting into soccer so I'm new at watching matches like this. I feel like losing a promotion game might feel worse than losing the Super Bowl.
It is commonly understood to be the most lucrative sporting event in the world, due to the massive revenue gap between the premier league and the championship. Swiss Ramble's annual discussion.

The winning side historically gifts its share of the gameday gate/concessions to the losing side, a minuscule amount in the grand scheme, but a tradition that acknowledges the crushing loss.

Users who are viewing this thread