Top Posters In This Topic

• Sinn Fein

• El Floppo

• AAABatteries

• Kafka

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Zlatan’s 500th career goal is ridiculous.  https://streamable.com/u5sl7  

Sean Raggett, Lincoln City goalscorer: "No time for celebrations, it’s North Ferriby away on Tuesday”    

English teams in CL

27 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

ironically that is probably one of my top 3 favorite soccer clips ever, which is very similar to this (another of my top 3)

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/708312-us-mens-national-team/?do=findComment&comment=23069688

Edited by NewlyRetired
  • Like 2

Klopp deciding there's no way he can bench Jota given his current form. So who does he sit out of Mane, Salah, and Firmino?

None of them! Instead he puts out a 4-2-2-2 formation and is starting all 4 guys with Henderson/Wijnaldum behind them.

This should be fun.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

Klopp deciding there's no way he can bench Jota given his current form. So who does he sit out of Mane, Salah, and Firmino?

None of them! Instead he puts out a 4-2-2-2 formation and is starting all 4 guys with Henderson/Wijnaldum behind them.

This should be fun.

Hell yeah.

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

Germany ended up losing 6-0. 

I think that has to be one of their worst (most lopsided score line) losses in team history.  I saw they lost 9-1 way back in 1909.

France just lost to Finland 2-0 as well.  And that was with a solid lineup as well (Giroud, Pogba, Griezmann, Martial, Kante, Zouma, Digne, among others)

I have seen some crazy stuff in MLS these past two decades and this PK shoot out between Orlando and NYC playoff game is the cherry on top.

Orlando managed to pick up a red card, on the keeper, during the PK's, after thinking they had already won the game.  Orlando's coach had already left the field and they had to go in to the locker room to get him.  Orlando then bring on the back up keeper, not realizing they were out of subs.  Then had to use an outfield player in goal.  Orlando then loses track of the score, and think they have won again....

Too much to explain, just watch, two parts shown below

https://streamable.com/dnxsnn

https://streamable.com/w424ya

Edited by NewlyRetired
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, NewlyRetired said:

I have seen some crazy stuff in MLS these past two decades and this Orlando NYC playoff game is right up there.

Orlando managed to pick up a red card, on the keeper, during the PK's, after thinking they had already won the game.

Lunacy. Then a reserve defender comes on in net and makes a save. Orlando City, already playing with 10, overcomes NYCFC and the VAR official to advance. Would have been absolutely criminal had they lost. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

Lunacy. Then a reserve defender comes on in net and makes a save. Orlando City, already playing with 10, overcomes NYCFC and the VAR official to advance. Would have been absolutely criminal had they lost. 

the announcers realized it so much faster than the officials about the back up keeper.

Just crazy...

Edited by NewlyRetired

Jeff Carlisle

@JeffreyCarlisle

LOL. That's the craziest ending I've ever seen

==================

Orlando City SC

@OrlandoCitySC

We'd tweet some explanation but we don't know

==================

Ives Galarcep

@SoccerByIves

I've seen some crazy stuff in my 22 years covering MLS, but THAT penalty shootout finish just might be the craziest, most absurd finish I've ever seen. What a #### show

=======================

Aron Jóhannsson

@aronjo20

I may have just watched the strangest thing I’ve ever seen in soccer!! #orlandoNYFC

Edited by NewlyRetired
32 minutes ago, The Z Machine said:

Only 2 goals allowed in 7 liga games going into this one. They've been poor in CL, but solid in league. 

No Suarez though today due to covid. 

Deserved win- congrats. Carasco was on fire today, Felix too.

6 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

I have seen some crazy stuff in MLS these past two decades and this PK shoot out between Orlando and NYC playoff game is the cherry on top.

Orlando managed to pick up a red card, on the keeper, during the PK's, after thinking they had already won the game.  Orlando's coach had already left the field and they had to go in to the locker room to get him.  Orlando then bring on the back up keeper, not realizing they were out of subs.  Then had to use an outfield player in goal.  Orlando then loses track of the score, and think they have won again....

Too much to explain, just watch, two parts shown below

https://streamable.com/w424ya

Here is a great extra behind the scenes tidbit of what happened when the Orlando coach ran off the field thinking they had won (The player he found in the lockerroom had received a red card in the game)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EnZASKDW8AM2RLr?format=png&name=medium

Edited by NewlyRetired
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, andy.

I watched MLSs highlights of the game...no reference of ANY of that. So even though I wondered why a different GK was in at the end, there wasn't much odd about what they showed.

That was insanity.

And...what a stupid yellow rule.

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Thanks, andy.

I watched MLSs highlights of the game...no reference of ANY of that. So even though I wondered why a different GK was in at the end, there wasn't much odd about what they showed.

That was insanity.

And...what a stupid yellow rule.

I was in the same boat.  Just saw the highlights and didn't think anything big other than "Hey, Orlando won its first playoff game, cool."  

That was true insanity.  Wish I'd watched it live.  

Agree on the stupid rule.  I get that they're enforcing the no leaving the line rule, but they need to adjust the auto yellow rule for it then unless there are multiple offenses.  I mean he was 3/4 of an inch off his line and that's a yellow?!

40 minutes ago, encaitar said:

I was in the same boat.  Just saw the highlights and didn't think anything big other than "Hey, Orlando won its first playoff game, cool."  

That was true insanity.  Wish I'd watched it live.  

Agree on the stupid rule.  I get that they're enforcing the no leaving the line rule, but they need to adjust the auto yellow rule for it then unless there are multiple offenses.  I mean he was 3/4 of an inch off his line and that's a yellow?!

The rule was part of the insanity itself and why the refs and VAR took so long.

Because MLS started before the IFAB 20/21 took effect, the league is on the 19/20 version. For 19/20, if the PK needs to be retaken due to GK encroachment, a yellow card will be issued, even on the first offense.  The IFAB changed the rule in 20/21 to be a warning first.  Also if you have a yellow card in the game, it will not be carried forward into the pk's.

• Thanks 1
  • Thinking 1
1 minute ago, NewlyRetired said:

The rule was part of the insanity itself and why the refs and VAR took so long.

Because MLS started before the IFAB 20/21 took effect, the league is on the 19/20 version. For 19/20, if the PK needs to be retaken due to GK encroachment, a yellow card will be issued, even on the first offense.  The IFAB changed the rule in 20/21 to be a warning first.  Also if you have a yellow card in the game, it will not be carried forward into the pk's.

Amazing that, right before the rule change, it actually mattered in a game like that.

• Like 1
Just now, gianmarco said:

Amazing that, right before the rule change, it actually mattered in a game like that.

It was a fabulous concoction that led to the entire scene.  I still can't figure out how Orlando lost track of the score too.  That was kind of cringe worthy.   :)

All in all not a great look for the league but that's the type of game people in the stands or who watched will remember for decades to come.

• Like 1

I've been enjoying watching these games with no crowds. It's interesting hearing the chatter between the players, something you would normally not hear, at least not this well. 

You hear the coaches too. One coach the other day was throwing so many F bombs the censor couldn't keep up. 🤣

• Like 3