Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

⚽ Soccer Match-day Thread

26 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

Yeah - I have a totally different take.  United shat the bed against two teams they should have beaten by 3 or 4 goals.  Sure the refs missed some calls but it shouldn’t come down to that against SU or WBA.

Relevant

Every team from Nov. 8 through Feb. 2 created 10+ chances against WBA.  Spurs and now ManU each created only 9 in the last two matchups.  It wasn't the refs.

• Replies 21.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sinn Fein

• El Floppo

• AAABatteries

• B Maverick

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Zlatan’s 500th career goal is ridiculous.  https://streamable.com/u5sl7  

Sean Raggett, Lincoln City goalscorer: "No time for celebrations, it’s North Ferriby away on Tuesday”    

English teams in CL

25 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

Yeah - I have a totally different take.  United shat the bed against two teams they should have beaten by 3 or 4 goals.  Sure the refs missed some calls but it shouldn’t come down to that against SU or WBA.

You are correct, they should have and it shouldn't come down to the refs.  But these two particular games were changed drastically by the refs.  WBA scored within 2 mins of the start.  If that goal is disallowed as it should have been, its a different game.  PK given? Now its 2-0 and United are cruising. Unfortunately the Ref was a major influence in both games and we arent talking ticky tacky fouls, major mistakes.  So much so that after the Sheffield game it was admited that the United goal should have stood and the Sheffield goal shouldn't have.  

1 minute ago, encaitar said:

Relevant

Every team from Nov. 8 through Feb. 2 created 10+ chances against WBA.  Spurs and now ManU each created only 9 in the last two matchups.  It wasn't the refs.

So 9 vs 10 is a big difference?

Credit to big Sam for settling the Def for sure.  But a goal being allowed 2 mins in that shouldnt changes the game. 

Most of the time I agree, the refs are a minimal part.  But this one was absolutely the ref.

40 minutes ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

I'd love it if you were right about Klopp's influence.

Now pretend it was like this for 15 years and you'll know how the EPL felt when Ferguson was running the show.

:goodposting:

And its funny that fans still believe VAR and the refs support United.  

2 hours ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

I'd love it if you were right about Klopp's influence.

Now pretend it was like this for 15 years and you'll know how the EPL felt when Ferguson was running the show.

Evidently it was Lingard that brought all the PKs....

West Ham just got its first PK of the season, after Lingard was taken down in the box.  

Watching Burnley - West Brom.

I thought it was a handball but I want to hear explanation of red card of denying scoring chance. 

Yes, he's last defender but they're at midfield and nobody has possession.  

Yes, if he lets that ball go, the Burnley player has best shot at ball.

But there's no telling if Burnley player can make a clean first touch. Impossible to know how aggressive keeper is - can he beat the attacker to ball?

Bayern went down 2-0 in the first half against Frankfurt this morning.  But have since made it 2-1.

Müller and Pavard are on COVID quarantine, Gnabry is still injured, and it sounds like Tolisso is lost for the season.

Now is the time for that deep bench to kick in.

Atlético crashed today against Levante, losing 0-2. I suspect they were looking ahead to Chelsea in CL. Levante played great and fully deserved a point at least.  Let's hope that Real and Barça falter again soon. 

20 minutes ago, The Z Machine said:

Atlético crashed today against Levante, losing 0-2. I suspect they were looking ahead to Chelsea in CL. Levante played great and fully deserved a point at least.  Let's hope that Real and Barça falter again soon. 

Felt like Atletico were all over them in the second half, but Levante weathered it.

Edited by Desert_Power
2 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

He's ridiculous.

I still don't understand what Red Bull was thinking.  Everyone could clearly see he was special even when in Austria.  I can't for the life of me understand how they let him go for only 15m.  It made no sense even at the time.  This is not 20-20 hindsight.

Even worse for me was if they were going to sell so low, why not just keep him in the family and send him to RBL for that level of money?  

Very glad Liverpool didn't score.  Because that pen against Trent was garbage.  The clown in the booth kept trying to justify the call by saying TAA got his leg up to take DCL down.  But Alexander is laying on the ground when Lewin runs over his back.  Alexander-Arnold is literally sitting on the ground.  Doesn't move at all as Lewin runs him over from three yards away.  And never touched him with his leg, no matter how many times Lee Dixon claims it's so.

And it's weird AF how awful Liverpool are in attack with the makeshift back line.  Turns out it's a team game or something.

Edited by Dinsy Ejotuz
  • Like 1
45 minutes ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

Very glad Liverpool didn't score.  Because that pen against Trent was garbage.  The clown in the booth kept trying to justify the call by saying TAA got his leg up to take DCL down.  But Alexander is laying on the ground when Lewin runs over his back.  Alexander-Arnold is literally sitting on the ground.  Doesn't move at all as Lewin runs him over from three yards away.  And never touched him with his leg, no matter how many times Lee Dixon claims it's so.

And it's weird AF how awful Liverpool are in attack with the makeshift back line.  Turns out it's a team game or something.

Yeah, it was like we were watching two separate videos. He actually ran into TAA after a taking a couple steps, hitting him in the back of his head with his knee. 

Ok...I think I saw it.

Tough play for taa there, who didn't know much about what was going on. I think it was him raising his arm defensively that impeded calvert lewin and drew the pk. Tbh, it did look like a pk to me, even though not much for taa to do there other than what he did. Wrong place, wrong time for him.

4 hours ago, El Floppo said:

Ok...I think I saw it.

Tough play for taa there, who didn't know much about what was going on. I think it was him raising his arm defensively that impeded calvert lewin and drew the pk. Tbh, it did look like a pk to me, even though not much for taa to do there other than what he did. Wrong place, wrong time for him.

Yep.

4 hours ago, El Floppo said:

Ok...I think I saw it.

Raising his arm where?  After he was kneed in the head?  This is the best view and in slow motion.  TAA doesn't touch him when he slides, Lewin runs into him after several steps and TAA's arm comes up after getting kneed.

11 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

Raising his arm where?  After he was kneed in the head?  This is the best view and in slow motion.  TAA doesn't touch him when he slides, Lewin runs into him after several steps and TAA's arm comes up after getting kneed.

Yep, after - I could see them calling Lewin for that but once he didn’t his raised arm in reaction was the call.

11 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

Yep, after - I could see them calling Lewin for that but once he didn’t his raised arm in reaction was the call.

If you think that's the call, then that's ridiculous. Lewin was already going down after he ran into him and kneed him in the head. That arm was inconsequential and I'm not even sure it touched him.

I know it didn't change the result of the match, but that's just an awful call.

22 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

Taa slides across in front of him. while calvert lewins run takes him into taa, taa raises his right arm- I assume to instinctively protect himself- as he feels calvert lewin coming over the top of him (and kneeing his head). You don't see that?

No intent, but regardless- he's slid in front of CL and there's contact. The right arm going up is clearer for the ref to see.

3 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

If you think that's the call, then that's ridiculous. Lewin was already going down after he ran into him and kneed him in the head. That arm was inconsequential and I'm not even sure it touched him.

Did taa win or touch the ball? Did his slide impede CL?

I'd say no, yes. PK.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

:shrug:  Just a weird play - I think it could have been a no call or foul on either guy.  The reason I honestly think the ref got it right was TAA and the Pool players didn’t really object much.

5 minutes ago, Desert_Power said:

Glad I didn't wake up early to watch Lenglet completely botch another game. He's cost Barca at least 8 points and is completely exposed in Europe. Far past the point where I would just be playing youngsters over him.

I saw it live. 

Barca just without teeth these days. Dembele is obviously a player, but as opposed to Dest- he's either been told to just go ahead and ignore his teammates every time he gets near the box, or he's doing it on his own. The rest...dunno. up 1-0 they never really looked like they were going to run away with things and were always going to be open for that random goal.

Against psg they looked like boys against men.

21 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

I still don't understand what Red Bull was thinking.  Everyone could clearly see he was special even when in Austria.  I can't for the life of me understand how they let him go for only 15m.  It made no sense even at the time.  This is not 20-20 hindsight.

Even worse for me was if they were going to sell so low, why not just keep him in the family and send him to RBL for that level of money?  

This is much more 20 20 hindsight than you think.  Sure, there was a lot of interest in Haaland, but stats in Austria are super inflated especially when he is the star striker on the best club in the league.  Further, the transfer was not just 15m as stated.  There were other fees entailed plus you had to deal with Mino Raiola here.  Lastly, Dortmund had to give Haaland an 8m euro year contract for 4 years which most certainly priced out RBL.  Also striker wasn’t necessarily a major pressing need for RBL as they had Werner.  They have dipped into the Red Bull pipeline to get Hungarian wunderkid Szobolszai so we will see how that works out for them. Lastly there are plenty of precedents for talented kids in lower leagues not coming close to the hype, my personal favorite is Norwegian Messi Odegaard. And even Lukaku really bounced around a lot after starting at Anderlecht.   Certainly agree that Haaland has been off the charts fantastic and will fetch top dollar at transfer time.  Lots of bundesliga players struggle moving on though and Kai Havertz is just the latest example. 

13 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

I saw it live. 

Barca just without teeth these days. Dembele is obviously a player, but as opposed to Dest- he's either been told to just go ahead and ignore his teammates every time he gets near the box, or he's doing it on his own. The rest...dunno. up 1-0 they never really looked like they were going to run away with things and were always going to be open for that random goal.

Against psg they looked like boys against men.

The finishing/lack of an energetic #9 is a huge problem. Ansu Fati is probably out the rest of the year at this point which hurts.

It's really the mentality more than anything. Pique yelling and cursing at Greiz during PSG. These players have choked so many games away they expect to fail....even against relegation level teams.

1 minute ago, Desert_Power said:

The finishing/lack of an energetic #9 is a huge problem. Ansu Fati is probably out the rest of the year at this point which hurts.

It's really the mentality more than anything. Pique yelling and cursing at Greiz during PSG. These players have choked so many games away they expect to fail....even against relegation level teams.

Is it Koeman, the players, or combo?

45 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Is it Koeman, the players, or combo?

It's the players/former board. Koeman wasn't there for their embarrassments in Europe (except the most recent). This has been happening for years now. Busquets, Alba, Pique, and Lenglet are just shot. They don't have the speed to defend anymore (Lenglet never had speed) and have been exposed in Europe too many times. These guys have to leave or be forced out.

Greizmann is interesting. He gives a lot of effort but misses absolute sitters. It just is always weird to play him and Messi together, he shouldn't have been purchased.

Koeman has been very willing to change tactics and formations. He also has given a lot of runtime to young players who, on the whole, look very impressive. Araujo is already the best CB on the team, but he is hurt.

Realistically, Koeman is out this year barring some miracle.

Edited by Desert_Power
2 hours ago, guru_007 said:

This is much more 20 20 hindsight than you think.  Sure, there was a lot of interest in Haaland, but stats in Austria are super inflated especially when he is the star striker on the best club in the league.

I never saw him play in Austria so what ever he did there had no effect on my thoughts.

Watching him score 8 goals in just 6 games in his first Champions League games for Salzburg is what really made me feel he was something special.

I am very interested to see what fee he fetches when all is said and done.  The longer Dortmund wait to allow some teams to get out of the Covid financial pit they are in, could be to their benefit.  But if Dortmund do not make Champions League this year, we could easily see them sell Haaland this summer.

Edited by NewlyRetired
5 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

I never saw him play in Austria so what ever he did there had no effect on my thoughts.

Watching him score 8 goals in just 6 games in his first Champions League games for Salzburg is what really made me feel he was something special.

I am very interested to see what fee he fetches when all is said and done.  The longer Dortmund wait to allow some teams to get out of the Covid financial pit they are in, could be to their benefit.  But if Dortmund do not make Champions League this year, we could easily see them sell Haaland this summer.

Haaland's release clause kicks in next summer.  Latest I've heard is it's at or near €100M.  They'll get more than that this summer, even though teams like Barca and Real have no money.  Chelsea, Man City, and PSG are all gonna offer €120M+ IMO.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, encaitar said:

Haaland's release clause kicks in next summer.  Latest I've heard is it's at or near €100M.  They'll get more than that this summer, even though teams like Barca and Real have no money.  Chelsea, Man City, and PSG are all gonna offer €120M+ IMO.

And United will offer €75M total for Haaland and Sancho and wonder why Dortmund falling all over themselves to say yes

Was looking at some highlights just now and with the benefit of hindsight that 13/14 Liverpool team that didn't quite get it done was loaded going forward:  front six of Suarez, Sturridge, Coutinho, Sterling, Gerrard, Henderson.  The back five not so much.

5 minutes ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

Was looking at some highlights just now and with the benefit of hindsight that 13/14 Liverpool team that didn't quite get it done was loaded going forward:  front six of Suarez, Sturridge, Coutinho, Sterling, Gerrard, Henderson.  The back five not so much.

Obviously that's the major difference between Liverpool running away with the Prem last year and their failures this season and back 8 years ago.  Losing like 6 CBs in one season will do that to ya, especially if one is the best defender in the world.

22 minutes ago, Desert_Power said:

What a goal from Giroud.

Full credit to him for riding the bike there.

I said that I feared at Atleti was showing significant weakness over the last few weeks.  They will be up against it now to remain in CL.

• Thanks 1