What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

⚽ Soccer Match-day Thread (8 Viewers)

VAR finally gets one right.
And wasn't used for another.

But yeah..that red/hand ball was clearly the wrong call, even if an understandable mistake by Mariner.

What did you think of the earlier no call, and I don't think they even used VAR,  on the handball?

It was an interesting game. I almost always lean towards the team playing aesthetic soccer...but I flat out loved what Burnley was doing in the second half. Everybody working hard, route 1 try to win the first ball and kill themselves to win the second. They obviously got tired at the end and it started to open up for arsenal who should've stolen something at the end given their chances created.

Arsenal...I didn't see the first half, but they were fairly meh in the second. Looked like a team sitting in the middle of the table, which they are.

And wasn't used for another.

But yeah..that red/hand ball was clearly the wrong call, even if an understandable mistake by Mariner.

What did you think of the earlier no call, and I don't think they even used VAR,  on the handball?

It was an interesting game. I almost always lean towards the team playing aesthetic soccer...but I flat out loved what Burnley was doing in the second half. Everybody working hard, route 1 try to win the first ball and kill themselves to win the second. They obviously got tired at the end and it started to open up for arsenal who should've stolen something at the end given their chances created.

Arsenal...I didn't see the first half, but they were fairly meh in the second. Looked like a team sitting in the middle of the table, which they are.
They did use VAR - but unlucky timing for Arsenal, imo.

On Thursday, that was an easy Pen call.

But, on Friday - the clarification specifically targeted the "unnatural position" to not penalize defenders who are using their arms as they move/run/jump, etc.  So, I think we will see a lot of those types of call going to the defender now.  And, in this particular case, I think it is the right call.  I might have felt differently if Pieters had used his outstretched arm to impede the ball getting by him - but here the ball was bouncing up and hit him - not going on goal or towards a teammate.

I agree that Mariner's initial reaction was correct - clearly looked like Pieters moved his arm to block the ball in a clear goal-scoring chance.  At the same time - I don't think Ref's should be issuing Red Cards or Pens unless they are certain - even if it looks like it should be a pen.  If you don't know for certain - don't make that call!

And - this is where VAR is valuable.  Pre-Var - its a Red, that gets rescinded on Monday, but Arsenal presumably win the game with the Pen.

They did use VAR - but unlucky timing for Arsenal, imo.

On Thursday, that was an easy Pen call.

But, on Friday - the clarification specifically targeted the "unnatural position" to not penalize defenders who are using their arms as they move/run/jump, etc.  So, I think we will see a lot of those types of call going to the defender now.  And, in this particular case, I think it is the right call.  I might have felt differently if Pieters had used his outstretched arm to impede the ball getting by him - but here the ball was bouncing up and hit him - not going on goal or towards a teammate.
I missed that they used VAR...thanks.

To me that's still a hand ball with the hand and arm aways from the body. Also looked like it was hand to ball...but if that's what the rule is now- ok.

Liverpool are in the danger zone right now.

7th is the exact spot you don't want to finish this year.

UEFA have a new league starting next season - the Europa Conference League - which is below the Europa League, and the winners of the Cup get an automatic bid into the following year's Europa League.

PL will still send 4 to CL, and then 2 to Europa League and 1 to Europa Conference League.  The automatic spot goes to the winner of the League Cup - but if City beat Spurs, the spot will go to the 7th place team in the league.

It would actually be better to be completely out of Europe for a season, than be stuck in a 3rd-rate Cup.

On the other side - happy to see Fulham claw their way closer to safety.

I'd like to see both Fulham and Brighton stay up - so maybe Newcastle can continue to slide.

On the other side - happy to see Fulham claw their way closer to safety.

I'd like to see both Fulham and Brighton stay up - so maybe Newcastle can continue to slide.
Newcastle have lost the three players who can actually create in Almiron, Wilson, and St. Maximin for extended periods. I think I’ll likely be able to cancel Peacock and watch them in the championship on ESPN+ next season. :sadbanana:

Gah... that will be 10 league games in a row without a win against Madrid.  Not how you get to a title...
That result really tightens things up, but there is still 12 games (13 for Atleti) remaining. Having Trippier back was a big boon for Atleti. Suarez showing the good and bad of having him lead the attack.

That result really tightens things up, but there is still 12 games (13 for Atleti) remaining. Having Trippier back was a big boon for Atleti. Suarez showing the good and bad of having him lead the attack.
We're they playing a true back 4? Or es Trippier pushed up higher?

Félix and Correa aren't producing enough. 

I think it was closer to a 4 anytime I paid explicit attention to the line.
I think they played better with a 3 man back line.  Certainly more attack orientated. Simeone has opted to go back to his conservative 4-4-2 against  Chelsea and Madrid and its gotten him 1 draw and 1 loss.

Better performance, better game by United. Shaw was excellent.  Rashford was poor.  Martial, despite missing the sitter to make it 3-0 had a good game.

OptaJoe

@OptaJoe

20 - Borussia Dortmund’s Erling Haaland has now scored 20 goals in 14 UEFA Champions League appearances; the quickest a player has ever reached 20 goals in the competition, and in 10 fewer appearances than the previous record holder (Harry Kane, 24). Astonishing.

Last edited by a moderator:
So Juventus, down 3-1 on aggregate (1 away goal each) at HT, comes out in the 2nd half and scores, sees a Porto player get booked in 2 mins (first for fouling the goal scorer in the buildup, second for kicking the ball away on a foul), then scores again to level at 3-3.

Can't have Ronaldo out of Europe yet!!!

I'm sure tomorrow's ref for Barca PSG is smiling....

So Juventus, down 3-1 on aggregate (1 away goal each) at HT, comes out in the 2nd half and scores, sees a Porto player get booked in 2 mins (first for fouling the goal scorer in the buildup, second for kicking the ball away on a foul), then scores again to level at 3-3.

Can't have Ronaldo out of Europe yet!!!

I'm sure tomorrow's ref for Barca PSG is smiling....
Thanks for clearing it up for me because I'm on the Spanish channel and didn't understand the call.  A red still seems extreme.  

Thanks for clearing it up for me because I'm on the Spanish channel and didn't understand the call.  A red still seems extreme.  
This is how it read on the Eurosport app.  I didn't actually see it.  They seemed to indicate both calls were harsh.

Also seemed there was quite a sequence for Dortmund too.

Haaland has his shirt pulled in the buildup, he then runs someone over to score.  Goal called back and a PK given (seems him fouling someone is nullified by the shirt pull).  PK saved but keeper is off his line.  Haaland then scores and gets booked for yelling at the keeper.

of all the dumb things in soccer, the away goals rule being used in extra time is so friggan dumb given the huge advantage it gives to the away side in the second leg.  The other team never gets those 30 extra away minutes in the first leg.
Its such a massive gut punch to lose on away goals scored in extra time at your own stadium.  By definition, you were tied on aggregate after 180, and both teams scored at least one in ET, keeping the aggregate score even.  As much as penalties can suck, its much more fair to let them shoot pens if they're tied on aggregate after 180 (with the away goal rule) and still tied on aggregate after 210.

Users who are viewing this thread