What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

⚽ Soccer Match-day Thread (2 Viewers)

Messi is so good we've come to take this stuff for granted.  Watch the 2nd replay from behind the goal to see just how insane the turn and shot are.  Ridiculous goal.
Of all the goal scorers I have seen and watched over the years, no one hits that corner as awesomely and consistently as Messi has in his career.

That first touch and turn... 
Both were nice, but am I the only one wondering why 18 didn't close him down?  He looked to be in better position to get to the ball then Messi was.  

Of all the goal scorers I have seen and watched over the years, no one hits that corner as awesomely and consistently as Messi has in his career.

Both were nice, but am I the only one wondering why 18 didn't close him down?  He looked to be in better position to get to the ball then Messi was.  

Any defender in that position is probably thinking, "just don't do a Boateng, and hope he shoots wide."
I agree it looked like the defender could have gotten there first...maybe...if he decided that move immediately. I think he was a little surprised by that turn, and mostly terrified of having to commit to messi at pace knowing full well the likelihood of messi skipping by him with ease. I'm sure everybody in la liga does their best to just not commit on him, because he's gone once they do.

Fear.

Agree he could have gotten there, but he started forward and bum-clenched that Messi was going to clown him, so backed off.  Then Messi clowned him anyway.

I really like that Real Madrid plays in what appears to be their training ground. I’ve seen this stadium a few times now.

I agree it looked like the defender could have gotten there first...maybe...if he decided that move immediately. I think he was a little surprised by that turn, and mostly terrified of having to commit to messi at pace knowing full well the likelihood of messi skipping by him with ease. I'm sure everybody in la liga does their best to just not commit on him, because he's gone once they do.
:goodposting:

Fear.

Agree he could have gotten there, but he started forward and bum-clenched that Messi was going to clown him, so backed off.  Then Messi clowned him anyway.
:goodposting:

I think you are both right and I did think of that too.  

I’m by no means a soccer scout, but really enjoy watching Timo Werner. He seems to do so many things very well, and works incredibly hard. Now someone teach him how to score. 

I thought drawing AtM was a death sentence for Chelsea, but they got through with a dose of good fortune - no game in Madrid, possible penalty not given early today, then the Ruediger dive given as red.  Making the final 8 is a dream for this club this year.
As long as your guys avoid Bayern and City I see no reason you can’t keep advancing - don’t see Chelsea beating either of them though.

Thought Atletico looked very poor, tbh.  But, give Chelsea full credit.  Since Tuchel came on, they've allowed 2 goals in 13 games?  And they've played the likes of Everton, ManUnited, AM (2x), Spurs, Liverpool and Leeds (I mention them because they have a pretty potent attack).   Not sure they're good enough to win it all, but no reason they can't if they aren't allowing goals and can counter with the weapons they have.

Thought Atletico looked very poor, tbh.  But, give Chelsea full credit.  Since Tuchel came on, they've allowed 2 goals in 13 games?  And they've played the likes of Everton, ManUnited, AM (2x), Spurs, Liverpool and Leeds (I mention them because they have a pretty potent attack).   Not sure they're good enough to win it all, but no reason they can't if they aren't allowing goals and can counter with the weapons they have.
Their margin for error is razor thin the way they've been scoring though. I saw they're down a full goal per game under tushy. But with the players available, have to figure one or two of them will go on a streak and start knocking them in. Hopefully it's CP, but my money is on Werner.

Their margin for error is razor thin the way they've been scoring though. I saw they're down a full goal per game under tushy. But with the players available, have to figure one or two of them will go on a streak and start knocking them in. Hopefully it's CP, but my money is on Werner.
Of the new Germans, I think Havertz will eventually be the more successful.  Werner is what we thought he is - fast, works hard, but average at best technique and not really a skilled finisher.  I can see why he was successful at Leipzig in a fast counter-attacking role but don't see him working out long term in England.  Agree that Chelsea's great run of results is somewhat smoke/mirrors for me.  The defensive form is mind-boggling - I can't explain it honestly.  But there is almost nothing in the attack most games and that won't hold up for long.

As long as your guys avoid Bayern and City I see no reason you can’t keep advancing - don’t see Chelsea beating either of them though.
City and Bayern are obviously the favorites for this thing, but if I'm either one of them I'm praying to not draw Chelsea.  Tuchel has made that defense into a world beater and with speed like Werner, Havertz, and Pulisic available for counters.... I can easily see them beating either of those teams.  Weird to say, but I honestly think Liverpool is the easiest draw right now, then Dortmund and Porto.

City and Bayern are obviously the favorites for this thing, but if I'm either one of them I'm praying to not draw Chelsea.  Tuchel has made that defense into a world beater and with speed like Werner, Havertz, and Pulisic available for counters.... I can easily see them beating either of those teams.  Weird to say, but I honestly think Liverpool is the easiest draw right now, then Dortmund and Porto.
Despite their stuggles I'd be more worried if I'm Bayern or City about playing Liverpool - they could wake up at any moment.  Chelsea is a really good side and are bought in right now so wouldn't be easy either.

Despite their stuggles I'd be more worried if I'm Bayern or City about playing Liverpool - they could wake up at any moment.  Chelsea is a really good side and are bought in right now so wouldn't be easy either.
I'd love to agree with you, with Fab back in the MF, and Kabak and Phillips a stable CB pairing, but the dropoff from VvD/Gomez to these two is just too great and impacts the whole team.  It's hard to quantify, but my guess is that the entire unit is sitting back 10-15 yards deeper than they used to play.  And it just doesn't work the same way.  Less pressing, more gaps in the lines and closer to their own goal when they do press, further from the opposition goal when there is a turnover, etc.  And that's on top of the actual 1v1 and aerial duel differences when the reserves are in.  If they suddenly found their shooting form they might be dangerous again in a Cup format, but it does feel linked somehow.

Of the new Germans, I think Havertz will eventually be the more successful.  Werner is what we thought he is - fast, works hard, but average at best technique and not really a skilled finisher.  I can see why he was successful at Leipzig in a fast counter-attacking role but don't see him working out long term in England.  Agree that Chelsea's great run of results is somewhat smoke/mirrors for me.  The defensive form is mind-boggling - I can't explain it honestly.  But there is almost nothing in the attack most games and that won't hold up for long.
I'm still having a hard time seeing Havertz role, tbh, or qualities. Seems a bit slow of mind and foot and a bit soft for the EPL. But I've barely seen him play and know bupkis about him other than his rep.

Werner has looked great lately, imo, except for the final touch. He's getting himself in great spots and just needs to finish..which he showed at RB he's more than capable of. It's not a technique thing or a tactics thing since tuchel. I think he's going to go on a run before the end of the season.

Didn't tuchel switch to the double DcM with 3 man back line and wingbacks? Seems like that explains the defense AND the shrinking offense. Although again- they're collectively really not converting their opportunities well, so I expect the offense to improve.

I'm still having a hard time seeing Havertz role, tbh, or qualities. Seems a bit slow of mind and foot and a bit soft for the EPL. But I've barely seen him play and know bupkis about him other than his rep.

Werner has looked great lately, imo, except for the final touch. He's getting himself in great spots and just needs to finish..which he showed at RB he's more than capable of. It's not a technique thing or a tactics thing since tuchel. I think he's going to go on a run before the end of the season.

Didn't tuchel switch to the double DcM with 3 man back line and wingbacks? Seems like that explains the defense AND the shrinking offense. Although again- they're collectively really not converting their opportunities well, so I expect the offense to improve.
I think this is all true - yes.  Chelsea's defense was so poor under Frank, I just don't get how a formation change alone would improve it, but I guess that's the ticket.  The centerbacks not named Silva - previously error prone and leaky, are now all playing like world champions as Silva is out injured the past couple weeks.  I would hope CP can play a role in the attack as lord knows they need help. I believe the new coach likes him and will give him the minutes.  If not, maybe there will be a new coach next year after Tuchel has his inevitable psycho meltdown.

Anyway, wrong thread.

0-0 at the half for United and Milan

Will be a battle of the subs when Zlatan and Pogba come on....

United has no creativity outside Bruno.  This game is screaming for Pogba or VdB and Amad (needs to come on for James, who is good in space but not going to beat anyone with skill).  McFreddyT just don't have the vision and skill to unlock a def with a key pass.  Ole, who doesn't seem to sub, needs to make the move.  5 subs Ole, go get it!

AAABatteries said:
Ultimately I felt that was a nice professional showing on the road in Europe - no complaints.  Hopefully Rashford is healthy.  
agreed on both. A few complaints of individual performances, but the team put in an effort and got through.  

They have a bad habit of rushing Rashford back.  Sounds like he just didnt feel right but may be ok for Sunday.

Brighton and Newcastle soon in a match important to relegation. Steve Bruce brought Miggy back ahead of schedule, so probably too early, so expect Miggy to limp off 30 minutes into the game. Jacob Murphy should really be starting by now but isn’t, again. 

This is another game Newcastle really could win but I fear Bruce plays for the tie and they lose 1-0. Really hope I’m wrong.

Brighton dominating and missed a few chances early. Then an accidental collision causes Hayden to be stretchered off and Brighton scores right after play resumes. 1-0 at the half. Looking forward to watching up to 46 games on ESPN+ next season and canceling Peacock.   

25% possession, 0 shots on goal.

ETA: 3-0. Back to basketball. Brighton might put 1 or 2 more in. Disgraceful performance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feels like two mid-table squads playing out the schedule...

Though, with Chelsea's shock loss earlier, top-4 is within reach of both teams.

How Arsenal are within 20 points of the team that played today is a mystery.  SMOTHERED them.

On the flip side, despite everything Liverpool still in with about a coin flip shot of playing in next year's Champions League (either by finishing 4th or winning this year).

Users who are viewing this thread