What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

⚽ Soccer Match-day Thread (1 Viewer)

Liverpool control their own destiny.  Next week's Leicester vs. Chelsea game makes for that.  A draw or worse by Chelsea and Liverpool beat them on points if they win out.  A loss by Leicester and Liverpool tie them if they win out and it goes to goal differential, which if Liverpool win all their remaining games, they should have the advantage.
Any chance for WH to nab a CL berth?

Also, my boys went up 2-0 early against one of their nemesis teams in Real Sociedad today.  They held on to win 2-1, and basically ceded the ball to Sociedad in the second half.  Thankfully it didn't ruin them.

2 matches left.  Atlético are 5 up on Real (who play match 36 tomorrow) and 4 up on Barça who also only have 2 left to play.  I Atleti has the tiebreaker between them and Barça so that gap is really 4.5 points. 

Solid win against a quality side today. 

Liverpool control their own destiny.  Next week's Leicester vs. Chelsea game makes for that.  A draw or worse by Chelsea and Liverpool beat them on points if they win out.  A loss by Leicester and Liverpool tie them if they win out and it goes to goal differential, which if Liverpool win all their remaining games, they should have the advantage.
:goodposting:  Chelsea needs 6 points and Leicester 4 to clinch CL spots. 

Makes tonight's United Liverpool match that much bigger for all 3 teams. Because it needed more pressure and drama surrounding it...

Probably not even the most lopsided of the game week...

Chelsea xG = 1.57

Arsenal xG = 0.69
I saw that and have to say I don't understand it.  Chelsea had 12 shots from within the box.  12.  They were really only expected to score essentially 1 of those?

He reminds me of a (much) better, more athletic Jones - body control is an issue and always an injury waiting to happen because of how erratic they play. He’s been great today.
He could be the love child of Rio and Vidic if he stayed healthy.

:censored:  set piece goals.  Pogba loses his man at the back post after giving away the foul in the first place.

You have a Liverpool team fighting for top 4, and a United team that really only has "beat Liverpool" to play for and it looks like it.

I know most of the subs played Tue but lets do something!

Greenwood on? Take off one of McFred and move Pogba inside (I know then he has defensive duties)

Who else is there to take off?

Pogba gets run through the back of, Fred gets shoved over from behind and these arent fouls?

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats to LP for the win.  Not sure they were the better team but they took advantage of the United mistakes  Top 4 is within your reach.

AAABatteries said:
When Matic is your super sub down a goal, you got problems.
I agree but I get the half the plan there.  Matic comes in and pushes Pogba forward to go more attacking. Matic sits more in the holding postion then McT

What I didn't understand is pulling Bailey and moving McT to defender.....

But again, thats why a holding mf should be their highest priority. IMO of course.

B Maverick said:
  On 5/12/2021 at 9:35 AM, B Maverick said:
Leicester 66 - @ Chelsea, Tottenham
Chelsea 64 - Arsenal, Leicester, @ AV
Liverpool 60 - @ United, @ West Brom, @ Burnley, CP

WHU 58 - @ Brighton, @ West Brom, Southampton
Tottenham 56 - Wolves, AV, @ Leicester
Everton 55 - @ AV, Sheffield, Wolves, @ City
Arsenal 55 - @ Chelsea, @ CP, Brighton

If my math is correct:

Leicester definitely have a tough road but its in their hands.  They need 2 pts to stay above WHU & Everton and 4 points to stay ahead of Liverpool.

Chelsea need 4 to stay above WHU & Everton, 6 points to stay ahead of Liverpool 2 pts to stay above Tottenham
LCFC and Chelsea need to room for a WBA, Burnley and/or a CP miracle....

Chelsea and LCFC, both given 69% chance to get in.  Liverpool with 61%.  Back from the dead.

If Liverpool win out, they're in.  Worst case combination for them if they take the last three is that they end up level with points with Leicester City and go through on GD.

This probably sounds funny considering United are well ahead of both Chelsea and Liverpool, but I don't think they're anywhere near the quality of the latter two right now.  They'll finish around 75  points but that's likely 15-20 points off the pace for the foreseeable future.  Maybe they buy a half-dozen new players, but even then it has to work out on the field.

Meanwhile, Liverpool won't be playing with the 4th-5th-6th-7th string CBs next year and Chelsea look really dangerous under TT without making any changes at all.

Running through this a little bit more...

If Liverpool win at West Brom and Burnley, they'll take over 4th place and will only need to match whatever the 5th place team does on the final day (at home vs Palace - with fans).

This probably sounds funny considering United are well ahead of both Chelsea and Liverpool, but I don't think they're anywhere near the quality of the latter two right now.  They'll finish around 75  points but that's likely 15-20 points off the pace for the foreseeable future.  Maybe they buy a half-dozen new players, but even then it has to work out on the field.

Meanwhile, Liverpool won't be playing with the 4th-5th-6th-7th string CBs next year and Chelsea look really dangerous under TT without making any changes at all.
I think United is closer then that and will challenge next season.  Liverpool, with VVD and no mass revolt will be back.  City isn't going anywhere and Tuechel has shown Chelsea the way. United will have to bring in players to be able to maintain the growth over the last two seasons and extend into next year.  CB, CDM, RW for sure, then filling any spots vacated by players leaving.  

To me thats your preseason top 4 challengers. 

The Rest:
Leicester - Another possible late season fade to keep them out of the top 4.  Vardy's Party may be ending.  
Tottenham - need a manager and need to keep Kane and Son.  Otherwise they drop
WHU - Will be trouble but I don't see the Moyesiah putting a challenge up.  He will keep them at his Everton levels.  

Arsenal? who knows....

Users who are viewing this thread