What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

⚽ Soccer Match-day Thread (4 Viewers)

if there is one thing I want to see in the game before I die is an overhaul to the offside rule.  I hate the fact that a pubic hair's length continues to remove goals from an already low scoring sport.

if there is one thing I want to see in the game before I die is an overhaul to the offside rule.  I hate the fact that a pubic hair's length continues to remove goals from an already low scoring sport.
What’s the change you’d like?  I don’t disagree but I’m just struggling to see a change that could be implemented fairly and easily.

Old tweet I bookmark to bring out when I feel like I do right now.  Ashley Cole's response to the FA sanctioning John Terry in the Anton Ferdinand Fiasco approx. 10 years ago.
I didn’t even notice the date.  Yeah - Chelsea fans should feel a little hard done.  No call on the handball and then having the equalizer ruled out.  What are your thoughts on the lineup Tuechel put out?  Seemed ridiculously defensive for me - I know that’s kind of his MO but with essentially a back 5 and Jorginho and Konte is was just so cautious against a side like Leicester.  

I didn’t even notice the date.  Yeah - Chelsea fans should feel a little hard done.  No call on the handball and then having the equalizer ruled out.  What are your thoughts on the lineup Tuechel put out?  Seemed ridiculously defensive for me - I know that’s kind of his MO but with essentially a back 5 and Jorginho and Konte is was just so cautious against a side like Leicester.  
I was upset for a while when the goal was ruled offside, but I'm over it now.  I thought Pulisic was once again the most dangerous attacking player for Chelsea.  I don't know why Abraham never plays or why so much trust is placed on Werner. Kovacic is apparently healthy now, but he's been out so long I guess perhaps he wasn't ready to play a big game today.  He's a little better at pushing forward, but there's no reason they can't score buckets of goals with Kante and Jorginho in midfield. I don't really worry about lineups much anymore, but did not consider the team necessarily defensive today.

I thought Pulisic was once again the most dangerous attacking player for Chelsea.  I don't know why Abraham never plays or why so much trust is placed on Werner.
I was coming here specifically to ask you and other Chelsea fans about this.

Tuchel has done a good job obviously, and I don't see every game, but it feel like he has a real blind spot about his best lineup.  From what I've seen Pulisic -- Mount -- Havertz seems like the clear choice and he doesn't play it very often.

I thought Pulisic was once again the most dangerous attacking player for Chelsea.  I don't know why Abraham never plays or why so much trust is placed on Werner.
I was coming here specifically to ask you and other Chelsea fans about this.

Tuchel has done a good job obviously, and I don't see every game, but it feel like he has a real blind spot about his best lineup.  From what I've seen Pulisic -- Mount -- Havertz seems like the clear choice and he doesn't play it very often.
Could be, but this is the front 3 that failed to score against Arsenal on Wednesday.  Lots of good chances in both games though - both were easily winnable for Chelsea.

What’s the change you’d like?  I don’t disagree but I’m just struggling to see a change that could be implemented fairly and easily.
I love Wenger's suggestion.   

https://www.sportbible.com/football/football-news-fifa-will-trial-arsene-wengers-new-offside-rules-20210305

While there will still be a need for VAR and close calls, this change at least gives a little advantage to the attacker, which is the first advantage given to the attacker since 1990 (30+ years ago with out an improvement), when offside was changed to make even onside.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could be, but this is the front 3 that failed to score against Arsenal on Wednesday.  Lots of good chances in both games though - both were easily winnable for Chelsea.
I haven't see the xG stuff for this game yet, but Chelsea losing the other day was a fluke.  They were a lot better and the xG for that was something like 2.4 to 0.7.  That's a win probably 80%+ of the time. 

It didn't seem like they were dominant like that today to me.

I haven't see the xG stuff for this game yet, but Chelsea losing the other day was a fluke.  They were a lot better and the xG for that was something like 2.4 to 0.7.  That's a win probably 80%+ of the time. 

It didn't seem like they were dominant like that today to me.
Lots of possession and to be fair, if Werner hadn’t touched that hall then Azpuielsjhdydubs would have headed it in.

Seems obvious to me - he jumped which is a play on the ball.  If he stood still and it hit him then I would agree that it should be a goal.
That's awarded as a goal almost every time. I'm not sure I've ever seen something like that waved off before.

Compare it to what Kareem Benzema did in the Champion's League final vs Liverpool and this is nothing.  Benzema stalked Karius and lunged to get his foot to the ball when Karius released it.

That's awarded as a goal almost every time. I'm not sure I've ever seen something like that waved off before.

Compare it to what Kareem Benzema did in the Champion's League final vs Liverpool and this is nothing.  Benzema stalked Karius and lunged to get his foot to the ball when Karius released it.
My understanding of the rule is you can’t interfere with the “release” of the ball.  Whether it’s been called correctly previously is irrelevant.  But it’s very  possible I have the rule wrong.

GK was a moron - no clue what he was doing there unless trying to get a yellow on the NYCFC player.
Yeah, even if the rule is right - that was dumb.

Marco Etcheverry used to do what you describe there though.  On free kicks if a guy wasn't giving him the five yards he just drill it at his nads.  Usually what ended up happening is that the defender took a ball in the abdomen, was whistled for a foul, and sometimes picked up a yellow card too. 

Always seemed like a great strategy to me and I never understood why more players don't use it when someone's blocking a free kick.

That schmeichel save on Mount was otherworldly. Also nice fingertip on the header to push it into the post just earlier.

The difference in the game...plus the fact that Chelsea somehow can't score goals. 

CP did look frosty out there though...Werner Wernered it up. Ziyech didn't show me a lot, once again. He looks out of position playing more centrally.

I love Wenger's suggestion.   

https://www.sportbible.com/football/football-news-fifa-will-trial-arsene-wengers-new-offside-rules-20210305

While there will still be a need for VAR and close calls, this change at least gives a little advantage to the attacker, which is the first advantage given to the attacker since 1990 (30+ years ago with out an improvement), when offside was changed to make even onside.
yeah, this is what I suggested to my buddies. I would take it a step further and make it any part period so that you would have to see grass between attacker and defender. The spirit of the rule is to prevent cherry picking not promote the offside trap. 

Somehow I think FIFA would rather listen to Wenger than some rube American. 

Wolves kits are hideous. Claret / pine green is not a winning combo.
oh.

The strip features a red shirt with green trim, red shorts and green socks - just like the Portugal national team.

Joao Moutinho, Rui Patricio and Ruben Neves are among Wolves' sizeable Portuguese contingent, and this design comes after Wolves wore a green third kit inspired by Mexico, the homeland of star striker Raul Jimenez, last season.

Just make it feet and all this is clean, simple and gives the advantage to the offensive guy who can time his lean right.

OMG, that's one of the most dramatic, unexpected ends to a game I've ever seen.  With so much on the line too.  I'm stunned.

They just said it's the 6th goal scored by a GK in the last 30 years (EPL) and the first by a Liverpool GK in the history of the club (1892).

thb, I'm kind of pissed that the ####### GK can put a ####### shot on goal with his first shot in like his career and the rest of the ####### team would have filled an ER room with injured fans if there'd been any behind the goal.

Users who are viewing this thread