What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Wooing my neighbor: I came. I hugged. I wooed. Now moving on. (6 Viewers)

Tony's is the bomb. 

Gotta be careful around kids though - too much of that stuff and her kids are going to be sticking their tongues out and complaining that "these hot dogs don't taste good."

Relationship = OVER.
:lol: No doubt gotta go light on it for the kids... but Tony C's on a good Nathan's frank = everyone asking "what kind of hot dog is this? It's the best I've ever had". Very low effort way to serve some stand-out dogs. 

This is also going to be an expensive trip to the liquor store. You need to have everything on hand just in case:

- American Beer

- Craft Beer

- Mickey's

- California Coolers

- White Wine

- Red Wine

- Wild Turkey

- Margarita Mix and Cuervo

- Red Bull and Vodka

- Fireball

And don't drink until you ask her first. If she's the mom who never drinks around her kids you are toast.

You're missing out on an opportunity if you aren't smoking meat...because smoking meat is both delicious and infers that you would be in her mouth.

Show her / give the illusion that you know how to cook - bag the hotdogs and go with bbq chicken - it couldn't be easier:

1) buy approx 6 lbs total chicken parts of your choice

2) brine the chicken at least 5 hrs ahead of her arrival time: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/170656/simple-chicken-brine/

3) an hour before she arrives preheat oven to 400, rinse chicken, pat dry with paper towels. Put into a disposable tin foil roasting pan.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake at 400 for 40 mins.  

4) grill for five mins each side over medium heat, apply bbq sauce of choice (from a bowl, not the jar) and do another 3 mins on each side, putting sauce on other side once you flip it.

couldnt be easier, and she'll rave about it. If she asks why it's so good telling her that you brined it will make you seem like a real cook. And what single mom isn't going to be swayed by the idea of a man who cooks.

You need to ask her if she or kids have any dietary restrictions.  Gives you a reason to see her again, tweak the menu, and shows that you care.  Making a fancy burger/chicken meal only to find out she's a vegetarian would start things off poorly.  

Absent some restriction, I prefer kabobs over burgers/dogs.  Burgers and dogs seem lazy to me and you're trying to impress.   A nice rice pilaf and fruit salad would make for a healthier first meal as she seems to care about her fitness.  Maybe have dogs around for the kids as you could throw those on the grill if needed (I'm a Hebrew National guy).  

You need to ask her if she or kids have any dietary restrictions.  Gives you a reason to see her again, tweak the menu, and shows that you care.  Making a fancy burger/chicken meal only to find out she's a vegetarian would start things off poorly.  

Absent some restriction, I prefer kabobs over burgers/dogs.  Burgers and dogs seem lazy to me and you're trying to impress.   A nice rice pilaf and fruit salad would make for a healthier first meal as she seems to care about her fitness.  Maybe have dogs around for the kids as you could throw those on the grill if needed (I'm a Hebrew National guy).  
This is not an "impress" cookout. This is a "get to know" event. I want easy and casual and laid back. But I did plan on asking to make sure burgers were good for them. If not, I'll adjust accordingly. 

Burgers

Chicken (drums/thighs)

Corn on the cob

Potato Salad or Baked Potatoes or Pasta Salad

Asparagus

Garden Salad

Do that and you may lose your virginity :hifive:
That's TWO asparagus recommendations this morning. 

Asparagus goes from firm to limp on the grill and if she uses the bathroom after you she's gonna smell your rancid asparagus pee.  How is this a good choice?

Asparagus goes from firm to limp on the grill and if she uses the bathroom after you she's gonna smell your rancid asparagus pee.  How is this a good choice?
You're doing asparagus wrong.... 

1) Don't buy toothpick thick stuff, get the good moderately thick stalks
2) Don't overcook it. Olive Oil + Coarse Salt / Coarse Pepper = Grill until al dente. Maybe drizzle a bit of balsamic vinegar to finish it off...

Tied with Corn on the cob for best grilled veggies option. 

That's TWO asparagus recommendations this morning. 

Asparagus in a tinfoil/cast iron or straight on the grill with butter and sea salt is fantastic and easy to cook.

The pee smell only affects about 40% of people and that takes like 8 hours to kick in anyways.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're doing asparagus wrong.... 

1) Don't buy toothpick thick stuff, get the good moderately thick stalks
2) Don't overcook it. Olive Oil + Coarse Salt / Coarse Pepper = Grill until al dente. Maybe drizzle a bit of balsamic vinegar to finish it off...

Tied with Corn on the cob for best grilled veggies option. 

Don't get me wrong, I love me some grilled asparagus. I'm just questioning its powers of seduction.

It's easy to overthink the menu... then you'll find yourself scrambling to cook a ton of crap and miss out on the reason for the cookout (talking to her). Pick a couple staples (burgers and dogs), execute them well but with limited effort required (appear proficient, but leave time to engage her). Backyard cookouts are about nailing the basics... you're going to get a LOT further with time spent talking to her, than you will with an overly-complex menu.

Down the road when you have her over for dinner solo... THAT's when you break out the more complex meal to flex your culinary skills. 

Asparagus is the perfect seduction food:

1. It's long

2. Salty

3. Goes in her mouth.

Booyah.
Indeed. And it appears I have perhaps been choosing bad asparagus (I blame urban supermarket produce) and/or overcooking it, so you may be right.  My concern about the pee smell remains, however.

Are you allergic to  p enis? I mean peanuts?

Ashamed of all y'all. Reminds me of being 14 and listening to all the parsing ####### while my buddy and i were solving all our probs w alcohol and making girls feel self-conscious about their flaws. While i'm here, though - congrats on the go mission. Screw menu and make two punch pitchers. One for kids and one for grownups. Fruity rum drinks drop panties quicker'n cheap elastic.

Nothing wrong with government cheese. I not putting it on a charcuterie board, but there is nothing better on a cheesesteak, cheeseburgers, and anything you want melty there can be nothing better. At least a little fake cheese in a blend will make a grilled cheese, mac n cheese have a better consistency. These are the facts as I know them. 

Users who are viewing this thread