What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Fanduel Week 1 (1 Viewer)

How much does everyone take into consideration road games and divisional opponents?
I like to target DEF, kickers, and RBs at home and that I think will win, unless there is a special value I see on a road game. 

I try to avoid players traveling across country, though. 

Division opponents, I'm not really sure to be honest if there is a trend. My best guess is that the first game of the season, target players as normal. The second game of the season however may be a little more low on the scoring side.

It just adds credence to the argument that you play KC defense with when Houston is playing and you dont when he isnt.

How many points though.  More sacks could just mean they dont trust their defense so they get reckless trying to put pressure on

I've gone all-in on Keenan Allen in my season-long leagues this year, so I'm concerned that I may not be objective in my assessment of him. I'm leaning towards him over Alshon, but I'm afraid that may just be optimism on my part. I like Alshon and the Bears should be behind for approximately 55 minutes of game time. But Cutler sucks.
I am sorry for your loss.

Oof. This could be a rough week. Thankfully 60% of my action is in the $12 survivor and the cutline for it should be really low thanks to it not coming close to filling (~7500 out of ~9500 slots filled). My #1 lineup might catch its doubles (less than 1 point out w/ Antonio and Bennett to go), but I suspect there are a ton of guys yet to go for lots of people. My other lineup is a dumpster fire. 

Currently 9th in a 1176 player tourney with brown and Jesse James to go. If I can get 25 points from them there are only 5 teams with a chance to keep me from taking 1st

Currently 9th in a 1176 player tourney with brown and Jesse James to go. If I can get 25 points from them there are only 5 teams with a chance to keep me from taking 1st
Good luck. 25 points is definitely doable and then some... pretty high Vegas total.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had 26 tickets this week. Despite looking at breaking even, I don't regret many of my choices EXCEPT benching AJ Green. There's a guy that I heard so much negative buzz because of Revis Island that I took him off all my teams. Big mistake not going with my gut and playing the stud.

I had 26 tickets this week. Despite looking at breaking even, I don't regret many of my choices EXCEPT benching AJ Green. There's a guy that I heard so much negative buzz because of Revis Island that I took him off all my teams. Big mistake not going with my gut and playing the stud.
I guess he's the perfect contrarian play. Low-owned WR1, in a game with a moderate team total. 

Of course, after the fact I read that while Revis was one of the better corner backs in the league last year through week 9, from week 10 on he was actually in the bottom 10. I'm not sure if he was injured or what but he may not be an avoid match-up these days. We'll see.

I guess he's the perfect contrarian play. Low-owned WR1, in a game with a moderate team total. 

Of course, after the fact I read that while Revis was one of the better corner backs in the league last year through week 9, from week 10 on he was actually in the bottom 5. I'm not sure if he was injured or what but he may not be an avoid match-up these days. We'll see.
If I recall, Revis got badly burned a few times last year.

Currently 10 points back with Reed to go for a trip to LA. On top of that I would also need Reed to out score AB and out score Gurley. There are some other things in play here, but hey, I got a shot.

Its looking like a tough week.  I need Reed and AB to have a good game tonight.  I was all in on Winston but Freeman reeeeally hurt me.

Cashed a good amount thanks in large part to high exposure to D. Will and Antonio. Couple take aways for me:

Don't let yourself get scared off the chalk without reason (Spencer Ware)

Find some TE points.  Ran out a lot of M, Bennett or Fleener - barf

ran with dak and the top 3 receivers. JJ and ODB sucked balls. glad DWILL and AB saved the day

doubled up, time for week 2

I dabbled a little last year, and seemed to do a lot better w/ DKs than Fanduel.  This seems to be more popular, more info, etc so I am going to try again.  I think I just didn't like the PK and I am used to full ppr scoring when thinking about players.  Couple questions:

1.  Why do you guys prefer FD over DK?

2.  Any rhyme or reason to picking your PKs, or do you just trot out whatever is left after you set the rest of your lineup?

I dabbled a little last year, and seemed to do a lot better w/ DKs than Fanduel.  This seems to be more popular, more info, etc so I am going to try again.  I think I just didn't like the PK and I am used to full ppr scoring when thinking about players.  Couple questions:

2.  Any rhyme or reason to picking your PKs, or do you just trot out whatever is left after you set the rest of your lineup?
I can't stand the ability to make late changes. I like larger slates, so I never play early only on Sunday. I don't have the ability to commit time on Sunday afternoon to check late status of players, so I'm at a huge disadvantage if my opponents can. If there was a site that locked on Saturday night I would be all over that. 

I think it's a myth that PK can't be predicted as well as other position players. Lots of data shows they are no more volatile than other position players, perhaps even less so. I like PK on teams who can't run the ball but have a robust passing attack. Later in the year, domes are nice. I'll just ride a guy I like week-in and week-out. Some guys who fit my profile seem to be cheap. Seems like I just rode Matt Bryant 2 years ago. 

That didn't work out so well.
I'm sorry. 

If it makes you feel better, I was a complete disaster across the board. Thank goodness the survivor didn't come close to filling. I had 60% of my action there and they all advanced. Otherwise, I dropped 20% overall. And I went 0-3 in my season-long leagues, lost a WR on all 3 of those teams (Keenan), have a WR on 2 of those teams who is not in sync w/ his QB at all (Dez), and crapped the bed on my weekly college football pool ATS. 

Congrats to those of you who won big.  I basically broke even so overall I'm happy with that.  Week 1 is a total crapshoot sometimes where we don't know what teams are going to do what so we have a glimpse of future weeks now and can hopefully find better matchups.

KarmaPolice said:

1.  I just cant seem to win on DK.  As Im watching the game Im thinking my guys are killing it and when I check the scores Im no where near the cut lines.  Those same weeks I check Fanduel and have alot more sucess.  It just a slightly different game.  Ones like limit hold'em and the other like no limit.

2. Kickers on teams with high O/Us that are projected to win by atleast 3 points.  Preferably in a dome.

1.  I just cant seem to win on DK.  As Im watching the game Im thinking my guys are killing it and when I check the scores Im no where near the cut lines.  Those same weeks I check Fanduel and have alot more sucess.  It just a slightly different game.  Ones like limit hold'em and the other like no limit.

2. Kickers on teams with high O/Us that are projected to win by atleast 3 points.  Preferably in a dome.
Thanks for the tip on the Ks.  I think I read in one of the article to pair your Rb with your Pk too, since you are probably going with a Rb at home, favored, with high o/u?

So I have been digging through and looking at projections/$ for the week, and I think I figured out what was probably a big issue with my efforts last year.  I seemed to like DK more, get some lineups and names together for games and submit.  Then I would go over to FD submit a similar lineup with tweaks and go from there.  Obviously the scoring is a little different (which I was aware of), but I am guessing that I just wasn't taking the time to find the values in a FD player vs a DK player.  Like this week - Cooper is priced well for a cash game at FD, but not at DK (2.12x vs. 2.67x).  Last year I would have just liked his matchup and gone from there, so I am sure I wasn't maximizing my rosters.  I will try a little different approach this year and see if I like FD a bit more/have more success. 

lets get  a consensus roster to roll out and dominate the 50/50's
I like the looks of RB this week.  David Johnson $9000, CJ Anderson $7800, Lamar Miller $7700, DeAngelo WIlliams $7600, Ware if Charles is still limited $6800, Abdullah $6700.  CJ feels a free square to me at first glance, then who else among the other 5 options?  Im probably leaning CJ and Miller right now.

Thanks for the tip on the Ks.  I think I read in one of the article to pair your Rb with your Pk too, since you are probably going with a Rb at home, favored, with high o/u?
There is a positive correlation between RBs and kickers, but I wouldnt go out of my way to match them.

I had pretty good luck in Week 1. But I think the luck-skill ratio is definitely higher in Week 1 than in other weeks. For one thing, Week 1 is less predictable than future weeks in a lot of ways. Randomness de-emphasizes skill. For another thing, FanDuel does Week 1 pricing so far ahead of time that the pricing ends up being soft. This means that a lot of rosters have a lot of overlap, and often you are competing based on just a few different players.

The skill-luck ratio is highest when the pricing is not too soft and not too tight. If it's too tight, it will protect your newbie opponents against making bad mistakes. They can select players randomly and still score about the same expected points as everyone else if they use all their salary. If the pricing is too soft, the obvious value plays are so obvious that even your newbie opponents will find them, and there will be a lot of roster overlap giving you fewer opportunities for advantageous differentiation. So you want the sweet spot between the extremes. We didn't have that in Week 1.

Maurile Tremblay said:
I had pretty good luck in Week 1. But I think the luck-skill ratio is definitely higher in Week 1 than in other weeks. For one thing, Week 1 is less predictable than future weeks in a lot of ways. Randomness de-emphasizes skill. For another thing, FanDuel does Week 1 pricing so far ahead of time that the pricing ends up being soft. This means that a lot of rosters have a lot of overlap, and often you are competing based on just a few different players.

The skill-luck ratio is highest when the pricing is not too soft and not too tight. If it's too tight, it will protect your newbie opponents against making bad mistakes. They can select players randomly and still score about the same expected points as everyone else if they use all their salary. If the pricing is too soft, the obvious value plays are so obvious that even your newbie opponents will find them, and there will be a lot of roster overlap giving you fewer opportunities for advantageous differentiation. So you want the sweet spot between the extremes. We didn't have that in Week 1.
It feels like picking the undervalued players helps win money during the season. Problem with week 1 is we've all had weeks to sort out who is undervalued. As the season progresses, the FanDuel pricing seems to lag at the same rate the general public does. Last year this meant that even though Davonte Freeman was playing like the #1 fantasy RB, he was still priced below the top three until the pricing finally caught up with him.

Users who are viewing this thread