What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

College Admissions Questions (5 Viewers)

- and include both weighted and un-weighted GPAs on the transcript.
from talking to various college admin people, all told me they ignore any weighted GPA's since high schools use various weighing systems making the weighted GPA impossible to compare.

The colleges take the unweighed GPA's and then apply their own weight to them to make them consistent from student to student to aid them in comparing.

from talking to various college admin people, all told me they ignore any weighted GPA's since high schools use various weighing systems making the weighted GPA impossible to compare.

The colleges take the unweighed GPA's and then apply their own weight to them to make them consistent from student to student to aid them in comparing.
Yeah, that totally makes sense. 

bigbottom said:
Thanks for the insight.  I've raised the business degree topic a number of times and he's pretty consistently indicated a lack of interest.  He does want to have a shot at a decent paying job out of school, though, so engineering does seem to be a sensible approach for him.  But he's also expressed an interest in going to law school after undergrad, so perhaps an IP practice might be in the cards for him.  If that starts becoming a more serious possibility, maybe I'll reach out to our GB @Otis.
Anytime GB. Would be happy to help. It’s a great path. I did engineering without even the slightest hint I would end up in law school (the engineering job I got out of school was lacking, and even though I was doing a master’s in electrical engineering at night, I just felt bored with all of it, and stumbled into law on a lark). With an engineering degree, he’d have numerous good options (industry job, advanced science degrees, law, medicine). 

Anytime GB. Would be happy to help. It’s a great path. I did engineering without even the slightest hint I would end up in law school (the engineering job I got out of school was lacking, and even though I was doing a master’s in electrical engineering at night, I just felt bored with all of it, and stumbled into law on a lark). With an engineering degree, he’d have numerous good options (industry job, advanced science degrees, law, medicine). 
Thanks O. We’re sending the kid to an engineering camp this summer that provides a survey of the differents types of engineering disciplines to help him start thinking of where he might like to specialize when he applies. Lord knows his parents aren’t any help in that regard. Hopefully he’ll find a path that he enjoys. Right now he’s thinking mechanical or civil, but who knows. 

Yeah, unweighted is the way to go and then factor in course selection. Some high schools treat an A- as 4.0 while others a 3.7. Disregarding the GPA reported by the school and calculating your own unweighted GPA is a good way to get as close as you can to an apples to apples comparison. 

Last edited by a moderator:
UGH...the college saga continues for my daughter.  It's the good news/bad news syndrome. 

She was early admission into the University of Alabama.  The letter came yesterday that she was accepted into the honors program.  While she's already received the merit scholarship, she didn't receive the honors scholarship.  Not sure if her taking early admissions had anything to do with it since she already committed?  Now she's beating herself for not scoring the 1 additional point on the ACT to get the extra guaranteed money from the merit scholarships.  

That and the stress of trying to find a roommate(s).  I'll be glad once this process is over.  It seemed so much easier 2 years ago when my other daughter went off to school. 

5 more months until I'm an empty nester.  😥

UGH...the college saga continues for my daughter.  It's the good news/bad news syndrome. 

She was early admission into the University of Alabama.  The letter came yesterday that she was accepted into the honors program.  While she's already received the merit scholarship, she didn't receive the honors scholarship.  Not sure if her taking early admissions had anything to do with it since she already committed?  Now she's beating herself for not scoring the 1 additional point on the ACT to get the extra guaranteed money from the merit scholarships.  

That and the stress of trying to find a roommate(s).  I'll be glad once this process is over.  It seemed so much easier 2 years ago when my other daughter went off to school. 

5 more months until I'm an empty nester.  😥
Congrats on the Honors program. That is awesome!  Is she insterested in joining a sorority?  If so, you have whole other wave of hell coming your way, and I understand that it starts very soon. If not, you can relax!

Congrats on the Honors program. That is awesome!  Is she insterested in joining a sorority?  If so, you have whole other wave of hell coming your way, and I understand that it starts very soon. If not, you can relax!
Most likely will rush. Crazy how much that costs on top of everything. My older daughter is in a sorority at Louisville and it is somewhat reasonable there, but at Alabama it's 4x as much. 

Coming from out of state though, I will admit it's a great experience. Instant friends and tons of activities. 

Does Alabama force the kids to find their own roommates?  I thought most schools just matched kids up...
She can go either route. You can find your own through Roomsurf, Facebook and similar sites or go with the University assigning you a roommate. 

Now she has an even bigger choice in choosing between the honors dorm or any of the others. 

They really aren't even dorms any longer. Rather a 4 bedroom suite where each has their own private bedroom. 

Most likely will rush. Crazy how much that costs on top of everything. My older daughter is in a sorority at Louisville and it is somewhat reasonable there, but at Alabama it's 4x as much. 

Coming from out of state though, I will admit it's a great experience. Instant friends and tons of activities. 
With these southern sororities, I’ve heard that they have to start getting rec letters the spring and summer before they start college. 

With these southern sororities, I’ve heard that they have to start getting rec letters the spring and summer before they start college. 
For some that is definitely the case. It really is a political game in the end. 

My other daughter holds one of the elected chair positions in her sorority. Her president is willing to make a call to the Alabama chapter if my younger daughter wants. 

For the majority, if you rush you'll get into some sorority. It's just a matter if you get into one of the"popular" sororities. 

I can't imagine how my daughter would have handled that. One thing I feel her school does right is that rush doesn't start until the beginning of the second semester. If nothing else, it lets the kids get their bearings around school first. 

@The_Man Any thoughts on the question I buried in my post above? I would think you could potentially ask for more aid, but is there a good way to approach it? We live literally 3 miles from SC border so my son was going to approach Clemson about in-state. A friend of his asked USC about it and they were looking into it. Definitely seems like you have to jump through hoops to change from out of state to in state if you start as out of state, so my best hope is to see if they’ll bump up the scholarship. 
Son is in SC (Coastal Carolina). I was told that in order to claim in-state, he had to meet state requirements if he were to live there without us. One was he had to live there permanently for at least the 12 months prior . Second he needed a full time job showing he could support himself and third was we couldn't be claiming him on our taxes, he had to be independent. They were very matter of fact about it making it seem like the question comes all the time. I think because SC is a place where people invest in properties like Hilton Head and Myrtle. Just paying property tax there did not qualify.

Link to FAQ    Link to state codes via Clemson     Link Clemson

I think at Alabama, rush might even start in the Spring of 12th grade and ends mid-summer - because the new pledges often move into their fraternity/sorority house as incoming freshmen.

I think this is crazy and detrimental, but it is what it is.

Son is in SC (Coastal Carolina). I was told that in order to claim in-state, he had to meet state requirements if he were to live there without us. One was he had to live there permanently for at least the 12 months prior . Second he needed a full time job showing he could support himself and third was we couldn't be claiming him on our taxes, he had to be independent. They were very matter of fact about it making it seem like the question comes all the time. I think because SC is a place where people invest in properties like Hilton Head and Myrtle. Just paying property tax there did not qualify.

Link to FAQ    Link to state codes via Clemson     Link Clemson
Yeah, doesn’t look good for the home team. My sister lives in SC, so maybe we can figure something out for his last couple years. We’ll see. 

good luck to all of you awaiting college results, and congrats to those of you who got theirs in already. it's fun/fascinating/heart-breaking/informative reading along here even though mine are only 11 and 7.

not college, but we find out today if Floppinho gets in to Hunter High School here in NYC. public (or at least entirely free) school, that you have to test into- considered the top school in the city (Lin Manuel Miranda is a recent famous alum). entry points at K and 7th grade. we didn't take the test when he was 4 for this. he had already done two others- G&T, private school- and we felt that was enough... but we didn't realize the kid is naturally really good at standardized tests and enjoys them- so kind of hit ourselves for not at least trying back then. 

for the 7th grade entry, they invite the top 2k 5th grade state test results in the city to take the test which is multiple choice math and ela along with an essay. they review the top 20% of the 1st part's essays and then take I think 50 kids. when we found out he was invited, we downloaded their sample test... had math nobody in NYC's 5th grade had ever seen in their 5th grade class- which seemed... interesting. this of course meant that we had to provide tutored prepping (something we've never believed in) just to get a pretty math-savvy floppinho up to speed. we found out people had been prepping for over a year... even before they had gotten the test results :loco:  spending entire days of weekends in classes or with tutors. an arms race we both couldn't afford and didn't have the desire to keep up with. I know we're not alone in this kind of lunacy, but sometimes I hate NYC. 

we don't have high hopes that he gets in- he's a really smart kid, and while we think he might advance to get his essay read, he's never been a reader/writer and while I'm proud of his abilities there- we've read kids read things like The Economist and Wall Street Journal daily to get their ELA skills to the kind of level this school is looking for. floppinho still uses made up words like "jubilate" hopefully isn't spending a single second reading the economist or wsj.

eta: I should add that NYC's typical public school process is hell- you have to apply from elementary just to get into middle school... and from what I'm hearing, high school applications are equivalent to college applications here. :loco:   floppinho got into a specialized school for middle school this year that continues into hs- so he's already set and doesn't have to stress over getting into hs the way most of his peers will have to. added bonus that he loves the school.

good luck to all of you awaiting college results, and congrats to those of you who got theirs in already. it's fun/fascinating/heart-breaking/informative reading along here even though mine are only 11 and 7.

not college, but we find out today if Floppinho gets in to Hunter High School here in NYC. public (or at least entirely free) school, that you have to test into- considered the top school in the city (Lin Manuel Miranda is a recent famous alum). entry points at K and 7th grade. we didn't take the test when he was 4 for this. he had already done two others- G&T, private school- and we felt that was enough... but we didn't realize the kid is naturally really good at standardized tests and enjoys them- so kind of hit ourselves for not at least trying back then. 

for the 7th grade entry, they invite the top 2k 5th grade state test results in the city to take the test which is multiple choice math and ela along with an essay. they review the top 20% of the 1st part's essays and then take I think 50 kids. when we found out he was invited, we downloaded their sample test... had math nobody in NYC's 5th grade had ever seen in their 5th grade class- which seemed... interesting. this of course meant that we had to provide tutored prepping (something we've never believed in) just to get a pretty math-savvy floppinho up to speed. we found out people had been prepping for over a year... even before they had gotten the test results :loco:  spending entire days of weekends in classes or with tutors. an arms race we both couldn't afford and didn't have the desire to keep up with. I know we're not alone in this kind of lunacy, but sometimes I hate NYC. 

we don't have high hopes that he gets in- he's a really smart kid, and while we think he might advance to get his essay read, he's never been a reader/writer and while I'm proud of his abilities there- we've read kids read things like The Economist and Wall Street Journal daily to get their ELA skills to the kind of level this school is looking for. floppinho still uses made up words like "jubilate" hopefully isn't spending a single second reading the economist or wsj.

eta: I should add that NYC's typical public school process is hell- you have to apply from elementary just to get into middle school... and from what I'm hearing, high school applications are equivalent to college applications here. :loco:   floppinho got into a specialized school for middle school this year that continues into hs- so he's already set and doesn't have to stress over getting into hs the way most of his peers will have to. added bonus that he loves the school.
Sounds like your kid is in a great situation as it is. You obviously know your kid better than any of us, so take this with a huge grain of salt - but if that were my kid, I would have reservations about sending him to a school like that where he will be surrounded entirely by kids like that. I get that it is an amazing opportunity and many people in the city would kill for their kids to be able to go there, but you also have to think about the well-being of your son and whether it’s the right place for him. I was never more relieved when my son got waitlisted at what is considered the top private school in Houston. The consistent word is that your kids will breeze through college because their high school years at this school will be harder than any college program. Well, that didn’t seem like a very persuasive selling point to me. The stories about stressed-out overachieving kids suffering anxiety and depression was hugely concerning for us. It’s also why, despite my son wanting to pursue engineering and having at least a shot at the top schools, he would never consider applying to MIT or CalTech. If by some chance he got in, he’d probably feel like every single student there was astronomically smarter than him. And whether or not that’s actually true, I would be concerned about my son’s mental well-being in that kind of an environment. Just my two cents. 

Sounds like your kid is in a great situation as it is. You obviously know your kid better than any of us, so take this with a huge grain of salt - but if that were my kid, I would have reservations about sending him to a school like that where he will be surrounded entirely by kids like that. I get that it is an amazing opportunity and many people in the city would kill for their kids to be able to go there, but you also have to think about the well-being of your son and whether it’s the right place for him. I was never more relieved when my son got waitlisted at what is considered the top private school in Houston. The consistent word is that your kids will breeze through college because their high school years at this school will be harder than any college program. Well, that didn’t seem like a very persuasive selling point to me. The stories about stressed-out overachieving kids suffering anxiety and depression was hugely concerning for us. It’s also why, despite my son wanting to pursue engineering and having at least a shot at the top schools, he would never consider applying to MIT or CalTech. If by some chance he got in, he’d probably feel like every single student there was astronomically smarter than him. And whether or not that’s actually true, I would be concerned about my son’s mental well-being in that kind of an environment. Just my two cents. 
good stuff, bb- thanks.

yeah- we've definitely considered exactly that. this place has a better rep for that than some of the real pressure cooker schools in the city (stuyvesant), but still doesn't have a great rep. we don't know enough about it yet in terms of whether its the right fit or not academically, socially, etc for floppinho. should he get in, we'd check it out a lot more. he's already aware of these things, and says he'd probably want to stay where he is... which is also a high-pressure place.

I've been interviewing NYC seniors for my alma mater admissions and decide this year that I'd pick kids based on HSs floppinho might look at- including Hunter, Stuyvesant, and his own school (Special Music School). I asked questions this time that were outside of the normal- trying to get a better sense of the schools. I'll say that the Hunter and SMS kids both blew me away, but both schools left me with reservations about being the right fit for #1 son. we'll see...

What's important in a college's evaluation of an applicant, tips on approaching a student's HS curriculum, standardized testing and tips on prep / approach, financial aid resource news and tips / planning for best approach, but mostly changes and trends to all of the above over the next few years.

I've been somewhat following the thread even though my kids are only 12 and 10 but it seems like a great resource and will definitely reread, continue to follow, ask questions and hopefully contribute as we get closer.
To second NR, this thread is the greatest resource. If someone here can't answer your question you will be directed to someone who can. Since you mentioned financial aid, let me throw in the one thing I really regret not knowing when I went through the process: some schools will deduct $ you obtain from outside scholarships from the amount you owe as opposed to the school's contribution. My daughter goes to Duke, where she receives a lot of financial aid. I mistakenly thought that any outside $ she brought in would be deducted from Duke's contribution so I really didn't pursue outside scholarships as I should have. Big mistake. Definitely check the policy of the schools that your children are interested in.

Oh, and when your kid goes off to school, report this to your auto insurer. If your child's school is far enough away from home (>150 miles in GEICO's case) you will get a massive discount while still having him covered when he's home on breaks and for the summer.

Blackdotting this as I have a junior and sophmore, so this will be my future coming up.

My junior has a school he wants to go to, but we (read. mom) are making him look at more colleges just so he sees choices.  We went to visit the campus and I loved it too.  Made me wish I had to do it all over again.  Very different experience than I had (I went to the U of MN with 45,000+ students, this was a small campus of ~600).

He's taking the ACT at school 4/2, and working on getting his GPA up above 3.2 to qualify for the auto aid the school provides.  Will be hitting the scholarship and grant applications hard, not sure the best time to do that?  Also not looking foward to the FAFSA process.

Blackdotting this as I have a junior and sophmore, so this will be my future coming up.

My junior has a school he wants to go to, but we (read. mom) are making him look at more colleges just so he sees choices.  We went to visit the campus and I loved it too.  Made me wish I had to do it all over again.  Very different experience than I had (I went to the U of MN with 45,000+ students, this was a small campus of ~600).

He's taking the ACT at school 4/2, and working on getting his GPA up above 3.2 to qualify for the auto aid the school provides.  Will be hitting the scholarship and grant applications hard, not sure the best time to do that?  Also not looking foward to the FAFSA process.
FAFSA is nothing to fear.

Good luck over the next few years.

Preface: Don't have kids yet. Wife and I discussing, but this is all super far off for me.

That said: When I see all y'all mentioning the stress or how your kids (who seem to be well-raised as a whole, btw, just saying something about this crowd as parents!) are pushing themselves on the grades, a question comes to mind based on my experience. I'm still young (10 yr HS reunion next year), and I took literally every AP course available at my TX public HS. Never felt super pressured or like there wasn't enough time, and also played sports on travel teams and the like. 

I think the difference is something my Dad taught me. Both my parents are CPAs, and he used to mention "appropriate preparation" for things. My dad has had by all means an incredibly successful career, and he is quick to point out that he also studied the perfect amount for things, namely the CPA exam - 75/75/76/76 - for which he says he overstudied a bit based on the result. (For those not in accounting, 75 is passing on each section).

I spent all of HS and college expending enough effort to get 90% averages on things, and anything above that (maybe because it came naturally to me, or w/e) was just gravy. Part of that is obviously that I was in a system were 90+ = A and there weren't A+ grades at OU. But the point remains - how do y'all handle work hard vs work smarter?

But the point remains - how do y'all handle work hard vs work smarter?
Depends on the kid.  The smarter you are, the easier it is to just work smart.

My step daughter was the least naturally intelligent of my three kids, but she was the hardest worker (probably got that from her dad, I can't take any credit).  She was in the meaty middle of the bell curve, but worked her butt off.  Graduated early.

My older son is in the middle of the three as far as book smarts, but he's the laziest.  We have to stay on top of him to get work in and stop on top of his studdies.  He is in AP stats right now because that is the next class his math teacher from last year recommended if he didn't want to go into the calculus route.  It wasn't a good fit and he struggles.  He came home from the second trimester final yesterday feeling good about how he did.  He got 3 out of 20 correct in the multiple choice section, so yeah, not so much.  He needs to work smarter and harder.

My youngest is the smartest naturally.  He doesn't need to try and gets straight As.  He's a sure fire work smart candidate.

I think it is not a one size fits all answer.

Preface: Don't have kids yet. Wife and I discussing, but this is all super far off for me.

That said: When I see all y'all mentioning the stress or how your kids (who seem to be well-raised as a whole, btw, just saying something about this crowd as parents!) are pushing themselves on the grades, a question comes to mind based on my experience. I'm still young (10 yr HS reunion next year), and I took literally every AP course available at my TX public HS. Never felt super pressured or like there wasn't enough time, and also played sports on travel teams and the like. 

I think the difference is something my Dad taught me. Both my parents are CPAs, and he used to mention "appropriate preparation" for things. My dad has had by all means an incredibly successful career, and he is quick to point out that he also studied the perfect amount for things, namely the CPA exam - 75/75/76/76 - for which he says he overstudied a bit based on the result. (For those not in accounting, 75 is passing on each section).

I spent all of HS and college expending enough effort to get 90% averages on things, and anything above that (maybe because it came naturally to me, or w/e) was just gravy. Part of that is obviously that I was in a system were 90+ = A and there weren't A+ grades at OU. But the point remains - how do y'all handle work hard vs work smarter?
Honestly, I have always been more of a procrastinator. I can’t tell you how many all nighters I pulled in college for my non-engineering/computer science courses. Usually it worked, but it made for a bit more stress than being prepared without not sleeping. I have tried to instill the get ahead of work and studying. It’s worked well with my oldest and youngest. My middle son is another issue so I’ve got to work on that.

what's important is learning the rubric for things as best you can- which is what it sounds like you and your have done (I was the exact same way- worked hard, but knew exactly what I needed to do to get the A without expending much more effort... also competitve sports and music).

we make sure we learn as much as we can to make sure our kid does what he needs to do to A: learn the info, B: work efficiently and dilligently (no last minute crap that I'm prone to, not my wife thankfully) to get the best score/grade he can. his old public elementary school did a tiny bit of test prep for the state tests (that help determine where he goes to school next) but it was super-focused on learning the rubric- this is what a 4 (best score) looks like, this is a 3, etc... so that they knew exactly what they needed to do get all 4s. 

he's more naturally/intuitively smart and geared for doing well on tests. 7yo floppinha will need a different approach as she gets older- things aren't as intuitive for her, but she's got a great attitude about putting in the effort, so it will probalby be more nose to the grind-stone in her case.

Oh, and when your kid goes off to school, report this to your auto insurer. If your child's school is far enough away from home (>150 miles in GEICO's case) you will get a massive discount while still having him covered when he's home on breaks and for the summer.
True, assuming the vehicle is just going to sit there and not be driven.  With my daughter going to school in Louisville and us living in WI, you can basically remove the insurance and it's basically like you are storing the car.  If you want to drive the car, you call and they activate the insurance for the day(s) you are going to be driving it and then call back to take it back down. 

At the time, I had 5 cars with only 3 drivers at home and 1 away at school.  The savings was only a few hundred and having to remember to call to add and then call again to remove wasn't worth it to me.  I just grabbed whatever keys for the most convenient vehicle so I didn't have to move vehicles around. 

Sorry, poorly worded.  I more fear the results.
LOL - if you area the typical FBG, the FAFSA is a waste of time.  You fill it out, only to be told that you make too much money and your kid qualifies for the subsidized student loan.  But the process itself is about 10 minutes to complete. 

Fishboy said:
LOL - if you area the typical FBG, the FAFSA is a waste of time.  You fill it out, only to be told that you make too much money and your kid qualifies for the subsidized student loan.  But the process itself is about 10 minutes to complete. 
Oh, I thought it was more burdensome.

I am not typical FBG, but close enough I expect them to tell me to pound sand.

Oh, I thought it was more burdensome.

I am not typical FBG, but close enough I expect them to tell me to pound sand.
Once you've finished your taxes for the year, keep the info handy and go to the websites of a few possible target schools. They are required by law to have a Net Price Calculator (NPC) - usually on the Admissions or Financial Aid page. In about 5 minutes, you will get a very reliable ballpark estimate of how much each school expects you to pay. It's an excellent starting point to figure out what might or might not be realistic for you.

My biggest piece of advice is that once you start building your list of schools - generally broken down into Likely, Match, and Reach - be sure to have a Financial Safety. That's the school you know you can afford, that your kid is likely to get into, and that they can see themselves attending if all else fails. It probably won't be the school at the top of their list, but I think it's essential to have at least one guaranteed fallback just in case of emergency. 

that's a great attitude, and I'm sure things are going to work out very, very well for him. 
thanks gb.

we weren't worried about it, tbh- and floppinho said he didn't think he'd want to leave where he is even if he got in. still nicer to make the decision ourselves rather than have it made for us.

we've always been fans of having him take whatever tests- just so he gets used to them- so this was a great high-pressure practice for him without any real repercussions. also, the limited tutor/prepping we did really helped his writing skills and even math- so it was all win-win. 

Bull Dozier said:

Answered in a PM but thought this should be out there for others:

The other big thing is outside scholarships. You find a lot of these from the guidance departments at the high schools. Most are considered "non-reporting" meaning they do not report to anyone how much was given out. So keep it that way or you will lose it. For example, if a college gives you $5k in needs based aid, and you report that your son/daughter got a hometown rotary club scholarship for $1k, they will then say great, your needs based aid is now only $4k because they count the extra $1k outside scholarship for themselves. Instead of a total of $6k it stays at the $5k. It's a racket really. So if it is non-reporting don't report it.

Just agreeing with others here, this thread has some great info. Oldest is a freshman in H.S. in the pre IB program. Youngest is in 6th grade. I’ve been following this thread for a few years, hoping to ease into the college process. Learning all these bits and pieces of wisdom from those already involved in the process is priceless. 

I'm about 90% sure my daughter's going to Alabama at this point.  We now have a tour scheduled for the first week of April, and she's holding off on designating her first choice for National Merit until after that trip, but she's starting to sound in conversation like she expects to go there.  She's in the Honors college and is eager to be in the Honors dorm.  She's not sure if she'll room with a girl from her high school or just go random - thanks for the info about possible matching sites, @Fishboy.

I'm sure she won't go to a sorority - just not her style.  Then again, she'll change a lot when she gets there... maybe she'll decide to rush after all.

I'm about 90% sure my daughter's going to Alabama at this point.  We now have a tour scheduled for the first week of April, and she's holding off on designating her first choice for National Merit until after that trip, but she's starting to sound in conversation like she expects to go there.  She's in the Honors college and is eager to be in the Honors dorm.  She's not sure if she'll room with a girl from her high school or just go random - thanks for the info about possible matching sites, @Fishboy.

I'm sure she won't go to a sorority - just not her style.  Then again, she'll change a lot when she gets there... maybe she'll decide to rush after all.
FYI, it appears that sorority participation at Alabama is 52%, which is very high. It also routinely tops lists of colleges with the best Greek life:

https://www.niche.com/colleges/search/best-greek-life-colleges/

I’m not promoting it by any stretch (and my son has indicated that he’s not really interested in joining a fraternity), but it really does appear to be a major part of the experience at Alabama. I’m sure you already know all this, but thought I’d mention it for others who are looking at Alabama. 

By the way, it doesn’t look like anyone has posted this, and if that’s the case, I sincerely apologize as I’ve known about this app for a while now, but for all you data junkies out there, you have to download an app called College Hunch. It has a ton of data on over 1000 colleges.  Not just admissions stats, but also demographic data, popular majors, ROI ranking, and on and on and on. It’s a fantastic resource having assembled all the data you could ever want in an easy user interface, but be aware, it can be a huge time suck for the data junkies. As for the integrity of the data, it appears generally consistent with the numbers on the prepscholar website (another great resource for college data) and other sources I’ve reviewed. 

The other big thing is outside scholarships. You find a lot of these from the guidance departments at the high schools. Most are considered "non-reporting" meaning they do not report to anyone how much was given out. So keep it that way or you will lose it. For example, if a college gives you $5k in needs based aid, and you report that your son/daughter got a hometown rotary club scholarship for $1k, they will then say great, your needs based aid is now only $4k because they count the extra $1k outside scholarship for themselves. Instead of a total of $6k it stays at the $5k. It's a racket really. So if it is non-reporting don't report it.
How does the funding get to the school? The above is all correct, but most scholarships are sent directly to the school, eliminating the middle man (student), who could spend the money to cover something else unintended. So even if its non-reporting if the funds are sent to the school they are still aware.

NO. NO. NO. This is not universally the case. You have to check the school's policy. My daughter gets needs based aid from Duke and the school deducted our outside scholarship $ from our expected contribution. Can't imagine Duke is unique in this. As I stated above, my biggest regret about the admissions' process was incorrectly believing what is in your post and not pursuing more outside $. Please don't perpetuate this belief. Sorry to be so strident about it but you've got to CHECK WITH THE SCHOOL.

Fishboy said:
True, assuming the vehicle is just going to sit there and not be driven.  With my daughter going to school in Louisville and us living in WI, you can basically remove the insurance and it's basically like you are storing the car.  If you want to drive the car, you call and they activate the insurance for the day(s) you are going to be driving it and then call back to take it back down. 

At the time, I had 5 cars with only 3 drivers at home and 1 away at school.  The savings was only a few hundred and having to remember to call to add and then call again to remove wasn't worth it to me.  I just grabbed whatever keys for the most convenient vehicle so I didn't have to move vehicles around. 
ZERO such restrictions on our GEICO policy. Massive discount with no loopholes. I couldn't believe it. The funny thing is when I priced umbrella policies with them they offered no such discount. 

How does the funding get to the school? The above is all correct, but most scholarships are sent directly to the school, eliminating the middle man (student), who could spend the money to cover something else unintended. So even if its non-reporting if the funds are sent to the school they are still aware.
Non reporting go to the student-hopefully the parents. You have to find out which are reporting and non reporting.

NO. NO. NO. This is not universally the case. You have to check the school's policy. My daughter gets needs based aid from Duke and the school deducted our outside scholarship $ from our expected contribution. Can't imagine Duke is unique in this. As I stated above, my biggest regret about the admissions' process was incorrectly believing what is in your post and not pursuing more outside $. Please don't perpetuate this belief. Sorry to be so strident about it but you've got to CHECK WITH THE SCHOOL.
You are right, check with the individual school.  Great advice.  However , most do it the way I described.   Google has a lot of articles on it. Link

However this should not prevent anyone from applying.  Apply for as many as you can if you need it.  This thread has a ton of great info in it and I wish it was around sooner for me.

You are right, check with the individual school.  Great advice.  However , most do it the way I described.   Google has a lot of articles on it. Link

However this should not prevent anyone from applying.  Apply for as many as you can if you need it.  This thread has a ton of great info in it and I wish it was around sooner for me.
Most colleges "gap" people in financial aid (don't meet full need of the family.)  If that's the case, external money will be used to fill that gap.

If there is no gap, most colleges will take outside scholarships and use it against "self help" financial aid (loans and workstudy), which will still be to your benefit.

Usually somewhere in the fine print, it says you need to declare outside scholarships.  I recommend you follow that advice. 

This is really astonishing. Though the Penn basketball coach did the same thing for $300,000 a few years ago. Ironically, he was just testifying about it in court yesterday:

https://www.philly.com/college-sports/jerome-allen-penn-bribery-fraud-testimony-20190312.html
when I was on my recruiting trip to Cal, when the coach had finished his spiel he asked me if there was anything else that would entice me to come there. I wasn't sure where this was headed, but pretty quickly responded- "a couple of leggy blondes and a ferrari?". it apparently wasn't headed there.

but things have obviously changed in a huge way regarding recruitment. my wife's nephew is Jr in HS, rows crew- coaches have been asking him to come look at their schools... which wasn't legal back in my day (couldn't go on recruiting trips until Sr year). her niece is a Soph, and is already getting college calls regarding basketball.  and I've heard of this happening with freshman football players... completely nuts.

Users who are viewing this thread