What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

College Admissions Questions (6 Viewers)

I’d highly recommend making sure she stays on campus all the time. I’ve seen a couple bad experiences for kids in the neighborhood where the parents bought a house for a daughter to live off campus that helped her alienate herself and she dropped out. She baby sat for us and was a really nice and happy girl so sucked to hear that and she enjoyed her first year. Her parents regret thinking that would be better for her. The other case was a kid who drove home every weekend (2.5 hours) and I didn’t know him but that certainly wasn’t healthy.
She will no doubt live on campus. She's a quiet kid but is fairly active socially, captain of her lax team, hangs out with the "popular" crowd for whatever that's worth. But she's not comfortable in her own skin, her loneliness more a product of constantly feeling like a fish out of water than it is her actually being alone all of the time. I wouldn't describe any of her core group of friends as overachievers, she's kind of the outlier in her circle. I think if you asked most people they'd describe her as quietly confident, but in reality she's socially anxious to a level I had not realized until it all came pouring out this last week or two.

I think I mentioned before that her cousin, also her best friend, will be in her class at BC. You'd think that would be a plus but it came out that in her mind "everyone likes Amy better, I don't want to be her sidekick for four years." Again, people who know both of them would find that notion absurd, but it's how she thinks. She's just struggling with feeling significant in this world.

She will no doubt live on campus. She's a quiet kid but is fairly active socially, captain of her lax team, hangs out with the "popular" crowd for whatever that's worth. But she's not comfortable in her own skin, her loneliness more a product of constantly feeling like a fish out of water than it is her actually being alone all of the time. I wouldn't describe any of her core group of friends as overachievers, she's kind of the outlier in her circle. I think if you asked most people they'd describe her as quietly confident, but in reality she's socially anxious to a level I had not realized until it all came pouring out this last week or two.

I think I mentioned before that her cousin, also her best friend, will be in her class at BC. You'd think that would be a plus but it came out that in her mind "everyone likes Amy better, I don't want to be her sidekick for four years." Again, people who know both of them would find that notion absurd, but it's how she thinks. She's just struggling with feeling significant in this world.
For kids that aren't happy with their college choice, reapplying to matriculate for sophomore year in another school is also an option.  I don't know the acceptance rates for sophomore matriculation, but it happens.  And if she was originally waitlisted at the school where she's applying, she may have a better chance.

This is my daughter. 

We are towards the end of sophomore year and she has never once stayed over on the weekend.   I was in no way a partier in college but I loved every minute of it.  She barely tolerates it and just counts the minutes until she can come home.
That stinks. I hate that someone feels that way. I was a partier and a good student, so I loved it. My son is really looking forward to college but he’s a very outgoing kid. Not a jock or Adonis in any way, but always had lots of friends. He got pulled into being in the chorus for the school play and last night the first timers roses at the end of the first night. Proud dad moment because he got almost as big an applause as the leads. Little things like that are my favorite moments. 

In a way, it’s probably a good thing to find out now instead of you not knowing it. I think everyone feels a little like anxious and being a teenager going through what they think is a life altering situation makes it tougher. BC is likely a much bigger school that her high school so she’ll hopefully realize that she may not even end up in the same circle of friends. So much out there to explore and get comfortable. You’re her dad so I’m sure you’ll be there for her and make sure she realizes that the world’s a giant place and college nowadays opens up some gigantic doors where she won’t be anyone’s sidekick. I think traveling/research is what my son’s the most excited about based on what he’s heard about and discussed with the honors students we’ve met and he’s going with classmates to Ireland for two weeks right after graduation. 

I think the way that the radical left is ruining higher education in North America is much worse but that's another topic for another day.
Whenever you feel like going down this well I'd be curious to hear your opinion why.  On one hand no matter what anyone says to the contrary higher ed is left of center.  But it's also a vehicle for critical thinking, something that's often times not developed up to this point and (I think) a major weakness within our current society.  It's test this, test that, pick a side, right or wrong, A or B, black or white, etc.  

And don't get me wrong, there's a lot of areas for improvement in higher ed.  This just isn't the first time I've seen 'radical left is ruining higher ed,' but I've never read/heard anything supporting that statement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whenever you feel like going down this well I'd be curious to hear your opinion why.  On one hand no matter what anyone says to the contrary higher ed is left of center.  But it's also a vehicle for critical thinking, something that's often times not developed up to this point and (I think) a major weakness within our current society.  It's test this, test that, right or wrong, black or white, etc.  

And don't get me wrong, there's a lot of areas for improvement in higher ed.  This just isn't the first time I've seen 'radical left is ruining higher ed,' but I've never read/heard anything supporting that statement.
I hope this detour doesn't hijack this thread because it's been a really great resource for me and others.

In a nutshell, the radical left movement started in the humanities and apparently has started to migrate over to the soft sciences (econ, psychology etc).  I don't blame the students; I blame the postmodern neo-Marxist professors who indoctrinate undergrads into a sea of untenable beliefs and transform them into Social Justice Warriors with no tolerance for any competing viewpoint. Many actually advocate for the abolishment of free speech .  It's the polar opposite of what college experience should be and makes these kids almost unemployable.

Let me be very clear--by radical left, I am not in any way talking about a typical liberal or a democrat--I am talking about the far left. The equivalent on the right is the alt right (who are equally despicable) but who haven't really influenced college campuses in a meaningful way.

I hope this detour doesn't hijack this thread because it's been a really great resource for me and others.

In a nutshell, the radical left movement started in the humanities and apparently has started to migrate over to the soft sciences (econ, psychology etc).  I don't blame the students; I blame the postmodern neo-Marxist professors who indoctrinate undergrads into a sea of untenable beliefs and transform them into Social Justice Warriors with no tolerance for any competing viewpoint. Many actually advocate for the abolishment of free speech .  It's the polar opposite of what college experience should be and makes these kids almost unemployable.

Let me be very clear--by radical left, I am not in any way talking about a typical liberal or a democrat--I am talking about the far left. The equivalent on the right is the alt right (who are equally despicable) but who haven't really influenced college campuses in a meaningful way.
If this is the case, or at least strongly suspected, at your kid's (potential) school then that'd be enough for me to say nuh-uh.  No matter how badly my child may want to go.  Part of college is about deeper thought, learning to ask good questions, seeing the macro view point, etc.  The college experience is and should be different person-to-person, but the bolded should never be an outcome.

My spidey sense is tingling that one of the best threads on the FFA is trying to talk politics :)
:lol:

If it does then I apologize in advance.  Assuming there's truth to what chet wrote then I think it'd be beneficial to have in a thread like this one.  None of us should want our kid going to a school who may or may not have an objective to brain wash.

Selfishly, I work in higher ed, so I think I benefit from staying informed about what's circling around out there amidst those going through this process.  It's why I stay locked into this thread.  I don't have much to contribute because of the type of school in which I'm employed (and my role) vs. where many of you are applying, but when there is a question I have experience answering I'll share.

If it does then I apologize in advance.  Assuming there's truth to what chet wrote then I think it'd be beneficial to have in a thread like this one.  None of us should want our kid going to a school who may or may not have an objective to brain wash.
I doubt any school has any sort of policy with this type of objective.

I am equally sure there are a ton of professors who are more than happy to express their strong opinions to their students who they might have some sway over (and this goes for any topic on either side of the aisle).

Hopefully she will realize that this pretty much describes everybody to at least some degree. I think everyone feels at least somewhat like nobody TRULY knows them and that they need to keep up appearances and that everyone will find out that they're a fraud in some way. Most will never admit it, but it's true. And once you realize that, admit it, and find others that are willing to do the same, it's a huge relief and very freeing.

Hopefully she will realize that this pretty much describes everybody to at least some degree. I think everyone feels at least somewhat like nobody TRULY knows them and that they need to keep up appearances and that everyone will find out that they're a fraud in some way. Most will never admit it, but it's true. And once you realize that, admit it, and find others that are willing to do the same, it's a huge relief and very freeing.
:goodposting: I've been telling my kids that in middle school and high school everyone wants to be the same but in 4-5 years everyone will want to be different. If you're different you are just ahead of the curve. My oldest embraced the being different part much sooner and it's helped her get through those tough years. She found her people and it's made everything much more enjoyable.  

With the goal of clearing the Harvard waitlist, my daughter is going to reach out to a professor who specializes in the area where she published research. Looking for suggestions on how to construct the email to the professor.  My initial thought is to have her introduce herself (HS senior who's been waitlisted), mention that she's read his bio and say that she was a co-author on a paper in his specialty--obviously include a copy of the paper.  Then ask about research opportunities for undergrads.  I don't think it's right to be too explicit in her ask--i.e. don't say that her goal is to parlay the contact into helping her get an admit offer --I think her goal will be obvious enough.

This is unchartered territory for me so I appreciate any help.

With the goal of clearing the Harvard waitlist, my daughter is going to reach out to a professor who specializes in the area where she published research. Looking for suggestions on how to construct the email to the professor.  My initial thought is to have her introduce herself (HS senior who's been waitlisted), mention that she's read his bio and say that she was a co-author on a paper in his specialty--obviously include a copy of the paper.  Then ask about research opportunities for undergrads.  I don't think it's right to be too explicit in her ask--i.e. don't say that her goal is to parlay the contact into helping her get an admit offer --I think her goal will be obvious enough.

There’s lots of online resources with advice on actions for waitlisted students to take for a better chance of admission. I think your daughter!s idea is great, and I agree that she shouldn’t be explicit, or too forward, in asking the professor for help. But I don’t think she needs to avoid the topic altogether. The school and professor aren’t going to be turned off by her strong desire to go to school there, and I think she should express that desire in an appropriate way. 

There’s lots of online resources with advice on actions for waitlisted students to take for a better chance of admission. I think your daughter!s idea is great, and I agree that she shouldn’t be explicit, or too forward, in asking the professor for help. But I don’t think she needs to avoid the topic altogether. The school and professor aren’t going to be turned off by her strong desire to go to school there, and I think she should express that desire in an appropriate way. 
So your saying to throw a tenner in there too.

Eta... Btw, I like the idea. I have no practical knowledge on the subject but at the least it's contact with somebody in your daughters potential field she might end up running into again later...whether it's under or post grad.

Question:

My daughter just received the results of her third ACT - very good and quite proud of her - however, when it comes to superscores, if she just improves by two points total over two categories, she gets to a level that my wife and I kind of view as the "top tier" - I "think" she could do it (and she really wants to take it again), but at what point does taking it too much start to hurt from an image perspective?  At some point I would think it begins to hurt (even if you do improve), but I really don't know.  TIA.

Question:

My daughter just received the results of her third ACT - very good and quite proud of her - however, when it comes to superscores, if she just improves by two points total over two categories, she gets to a level that my wife and I kind of view as the "top tier" - I "think" she could do it (and she really wants to take it again), but at what point does taking it too much start to hurt from an image perspective?  At some point I would think it begins to hurt (even if you do improve), but I really don't know.  TIA.
Are her scores being automatically sent to schools?  If so (and assuming she’s a junior), I would reconsider. When she gets the score she is happy with, send that score. 

As for superscoring, unlike the SAT, most schools don’t superscore for the ACT. Have you checked the policies of the schools to which she plans to apply?

Wrapped up our accepted students college tour this weekend. I realize it probably boils down to available resources, but man, some schools really do a much better job at this than others. 

The welcoming speaker this weekend really had a great line. He started off his speech by saying "On behalf of every competitive school in the country, I would just like to apologize for completely ruining the past 4 years of your life."  Everyone laughed, of course, but he really made a great point. For many kids wishing to get into a competitive college, building/preparing their resume over the past 4 years has become such an exhausting, stressful and emotionally grueling process that they're barely able to enjoy High School.

He said one of the biggest adjustments freshman college students have is figuring out what to do with all their free time. For the past 4 years, its been school from 6am-3pm, afterschool activities until 7pm, dinner, and then homework until 11pm. Rinse and repeat. Now they find themselves on a schedule where they may only have 1 class on Tuesdays and Thursdays. My biggest takeaway from the college visits though is, how much envy what lies ahead for my daughter. There's nothing like the energy/excitement you feel from a large group of incoming college freshman. 

My biggest takeaway from the college visits though is, how much envy what lies ahead for my daughter. There's nothing like the energy/excitement you feel from a large group of incoming college freshman. 
Congrats! Any decision made about where she's heading?

I agree, it's so cool being in that environment with your kid, just getting so psyched to think about all the awesome stuff they're going to experience that they can't even understand yet

Congrats! Any decision made about where she's heading?

I agree, it's so cool being in that environment with your kid, just getting so psyched to think about all the awesome stuff they're going to experience that they can't even understand yet
She's still leaning Dickinson, so now we'll try negotiating for more merit scholarship money.

Still a lot of nervous anticipation too. Like every other parent here, I really just want her to be happy and enjoy the experience.

She's still leaning Dickinson, so now we'll try negotiating for more merit scholarship money.

Still a lot of nervous anticipation too. Like every other parent here, I really just want her to be happy and enjoy the experience.
Good luck on the additional funds. It can't hurt to ask.

As I've told you before, I think very highly of Dickinson. The kids seem to have a great time and there's a strong alumni network that helps when it comes to job hunting. My sisters (twins) are going back for their 25th Reunion next month and I'm close friends with a couple of professors who are great scholars but also great teachers (they invite their classes over to their house for dinner, and one of them had an advisee who just won a Marshall Scholarship).

Let us know how it turns out.

Small, as in a satellite campus?

I meant lesser known. Either a main public university in a smaller cheaper state like University of Wyoming or a directional school in a bigger state like Western Carolina university.

The choice of university does not matter in life. Save money and choose a city that has activities that you like.

In other words, if Mike and Drew have the same SAT scores and apply to the same colleges, but Mike gets into Harvard and Drew doesn’t, they can still expect to earn the same income throughout their careers. Despite Harvard’s international fame and energetic alumni outreach, somebody like Mike would not experience an observable “Harvard effect.” Dale and Krueger even found that the average SAT scores of all the schools a student applies to is a more powerful predictor of success than the school that student actually attends.
The study that they talk about is pretty old, but I have seen newer studies as well that back this theory up.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2018/12/does-it-matter-where-you-go-college/577816/

Link with details regarding which schools superscore the ACT and how they do so. 

https://blog.prepscholar.com/colleges-that-superscore-act-complete-list
Thanks, this is helpful - most of the schools she is looking at are on this list.  We're checking with her guidance counselor and ACT tutor regarding the fourth test.  The good news is, she has not bombed a subject while trying to concentrate on another subject, so even outside of super scoring, she is showing improvement.  

Just got this email from Trinity

==================

Here is the breakdown of the comprehensive fee for 2019–20:

Tuition & General Fee:    $58,620
Room:                                  $9,960
Board:                                  $5,340
Student Activities Fee:         $430
Total:                                 $74,350

=======================================

I have a new theory I am working on :)   I think Trinity and other colleges of its ilk are raising prices to ridiculous amounts so that when the offer scholarships based on families finances, they will always look like they are giving more money than other schools.

I have to think the amount of kids paying full price at a school like this must be under 5%.

==================

I have a new theory I am working on :)   I think Trinity and other colleges of its ilk are raising prices to ridiculous amounts so that when the offer scholarships based on families finances, they will always look like they are giving more money than other schools.

I have to think the amount of kids paying full price at a school like this must be under 5%.
LOL at my alma mater. It has always been the landing place of the stupid rich kid -- though obviously not your daughter, who is the kind of smart, hardworking kid they are recruiting to counter that perception. More like my old friend and classmate, Tucker Carlson.

Trinity says it gives financial aid to about 45% of its students. So more than half the people there are paying almost $75K to attend. According to the NY Times, 26.2% of its students come from the Top 1% of income ($630K+)

If you haven't used up your monthly views, the Times has an interactive site where you can compare a school's enrollment of students from the top 1% vs. the bottom 60% (<$65K annually): https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/01/18/upshot/some-colleges-have-more-students-from-the-top-1-percent-than-the-bottom-60.html?mtrref=www.google.com

I think you are right that private, selective colleges are starting to ramp up the very top sticker price. When they see people paying hundreds of thousands and even millions to bribe their way in, they realize they're leaving a lot of money on the table. Why charge the full-pay families $70K when they won't bat an eye at paying $75 or 80K? Unfortunately this - like much of the college financial aid game - will screw the upper middle class. People making around $200K a year who don't qualify for financial aid, but for whom an extra $5 or 10K in tuition is a very significant hit. 

Any updates, chet?  

Junior took the ACT for free at school the other week.  Not sure how long it takes for the scores to come out, but a little nervous.  For the school he wants to go to, the realistic "automatic" scholarship he can attain requires a 23.  In my mind he should easily get that, I got higher than that and he is a better student than I was.  He felt like he bombed the math portion though as there was a lot he didn't even recognize.  I feel like I remember that feeling as well after taking the ACT, but I have the feeling the test has changed in the last 30 years.

The_Man said:
LOL at my alma mater. It has always been the landing place of the stupid rich kid -- though obviously not your daughter, who is the kind of smart, hardworking kid they are recruiting to counter that perception. More like my old friend and classmate, Tucker Carlson.

Trinity says it gives financial aid to about 45% of its students. So more than half the people there are paying almost $75K to attend. According to the NY Times, 26.2% of its students come from the Top 1% of income ($630K+)

If you haven't used up your monthly views, the Times has an interactive site where you can compare a school's enrollment of students from the top 1% vs. the bottom 60% (<$65K annually): https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/01/18/upshot/some-colleges-have-more-students-from-the-top-1-percent-than-the-bottom-60.html?mtrref=www.google.com

I think you are right that private, selective colleges are starting to ramp up the very top sticker price. When they see people paying hundreds of thousands and even millions to bribe their way in, they realize they're leaving a lot of money on the table. Why charge the full-pay families $70K when they won't bat an eye at paying $75 or 80K? Unfortunately this - like much of the college financial aid game - will screw the upper middle class. People making around $200K a year who don't qualify for financial aid, but for whom an extra $5 or 10K in tuition is a very significant hit. 
So, at the school my daughter attends, one out of five of her fellow students is a one percenter. No wonder she keeps asking for a bump in her allowance.  :P

==================

I probably can't/shouldn't give out too much info on the bolded, but I'll just say your theory and conclusion are generally correct.  How correct just depends on the demo of the private school in question.

johnnycakes said:
Any updates, chet?  
She thought long and hard, did some research and came to the conclusion that even if she were offered a spot, she wouldn't attend. We talked about it because I wanted to ensure she was aware of the potential opportunity and I came away thinking she was making the decision for the right reasons even if I would have made a different one.  Harvard's one of the world's best schools but not right for everyone.  I learned something from her and I have to say I couldn't be prouder of her.

She thought long and hard, did some research and came to the conclusion that even if she were offered a spot, she wouldn't attend. We talked about it because I wanted to ensure she was aware of the potential opportunity and I came away thinking she was making the decision for the right reasons even if I would have made a different one.  Harvard's one of the world's best schools but not right for everyone.  I learned something from her and I have to say I couldn't be prouder of her.
Good for her and good for you, chet.  I'll be starting this process with my oldest daughter very soon but I don't have to worry about her applying to any highly selective schools.  Right now she's rockin' a 950 on her SATs.  Ugh.  My youngest daughter is a year behind her, though (sophomore this year) and she's making very good grades in school.  

So has your daughter made a final decision yet, chet?  

Good for her and good for you, chet.  I'll be starting this process with my oldest daughter very soon but I don't have to worry about her applying to any highly selective schools.  Right now she's rockin' a 950 on her SATs.  Ugh.  My youngest daughter is a year behind her, though (sophomore this year) and she's making very good grades in school.  

So has your daughter made a final decision yet, chet?  
Best of luck.  It's a journey.

She accepted Western University in Canada.  She was accepted to a selective undergrad business school there called the Ivey Business school.  She is thinking about double majoring in math and business.  After she accepted the offer, she was incredibly happy and relieved.  This is a very stressful process for most people.

She accepted Western University in Canada.  She was accepted to a selective undergrad business school there called the Ivey Business school.  She is thinking about double majoring in math and business.  After she accepted the offer, she was incredibly happy and relieved.  This is a very stressful process for most people.
Good for her.  I wish her the best.  :thumbup:   

That’s awesome!

Coincidentally, there is an excellent op-ed in The Baltimore Sun today about learning from your kid as they make the right choice for themselves in the college selection process:

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/opinion/oped/bs-ed-op-0418-safety-school-20190415-story.html

I don't think there's a paywall, but if there is and you want me to send you a copy of the article, just let me know. The author never names her daughter's college - maybe she doesn't want to badmouth it as a "safety school" - but I'm pretty sure she's talking about Washington College, a liberal arts school on Maryland's Eastern Shore that I have a high opinion of. It's kind of like Dickinson or Gettysburg College, but on a tributary of the Chesapeake.

BTW, I  made a bet last night with a friend that Lori Loughlin will do any kind of jail time.  He doesn't think she will--what do you think?

Oh she’s absolutely doing jail time. Felicity Huffman already pleaded guilty and is going to get like 30 days. 

Loughlin is fighting it so far, and so the feds hit her with an additional money launderering charge and have sent her daughters target letters. She’ll bend the knee and do her time

Oh she’s absolutely doing jail time. Felicity Huffman already pleaded guilty and is going to get like 30 days. 

Loughlin is fighting it so far, and so the feds hit her with an additional money launderering charge and have sent her daughters target letters. She’ll bend the knee and do her time
$2K to me if you're right!   :lol:  

What a racket. Would be awesome if people started fighting back and suing these universities for this garbage. We seriously need to begin to dismantle the way universities work these days. Seems like a total scam when you consider how many undergrad classes are taught by freaking TAs at most colleges. We managed to screw up higher education in a major way.
This is an inaccurate statement. 

It may be true at large research universities because the faculty are focused on research. However, there are many colleges in the US who have no TAs teaching any of the courses. 

$2K to me if you're right!   :lol:  
My son’s first choice school is USC. Interestingly, our college consultant told us that without a doubt, this scandal would actually increase applications to USC next year and make it even harder to get in. Having USC mentioned along with Yale and Stanford, along with parents being willing to shell out hundreds of thousands of dollars to get their kids in, will drive more kids to apply there. We were hoping it would give our kid a better shot, not a worse one!

Early decision question - if you apply ED for a school like Stanford or Duke but don’t get enough financial aid, are there consequences for going somewhere else?

Thank goodness my son finally made his decision. No idea what took so long, probably the extra scholarships elsewhere, but he’s going to Clemson’s Honors College. Funny that I don’t think that was remotely on his radar early, but after getting waitlisted at UNC, he was open to USC/Clemson and loved the visits, especially the honors stuff. Just glad to be done with it but it was a lot of lessons learned. I’m definitely going to start on the SAT prep earlier with my middle son. I’ll have to because he’s on the opposite side of the scale in terms of taking charge like my oldest.

stbugs said:
Thank goodness my son finally made his decision. No idea what took so long, probably the extra scholarships elsewhere, but he’s going to Clemson’s Honors College. Funny that I don’t think that was remotely on his radar early, but after getting waitlisted at UNC, he was open to USC/Clemson and loved the visits, especially the honors stuff. Just glad to be done with it but it was a lot of lessons learned. I’m definitely going to start on the SAT prep earlier with my middle son. I’ll have to because he’s on the opposite side of the scale in terms of taking charge like my oldest.
Please update this thread on how your son ends up liking it. My son has a list of about 30 possible schools that he’s whittling down to about 8-10. Clemson Honors College is on the list. 

Please update this thread on how your son ends up liking it. My son has a list of about 30 possible schools that he’s whittling down to about 8-10. Clemson Honors College is on the list. 
My oldest is a HS sophomore and he has Clemson as one of the schools at the top of his list as well.  Mind you, he has no legitimate reason for this as he knows nothing about Clemson outside of their football program, but it sits atop his short list nonetheless.  

My oldest is a HS sophomore and he has Clemson as one of the schools at the top of his list as well.  Mind you, he has no legitimate reason for this as he knows nothing about Clemson outside of their football program, but it sits atop his short list nonetheless.  
My son is looking to pursue engineering. If it makes the list, it would be the lowest ranked engineering program to which he applies, but we’ve heard really great things about the Honors College and it checks a couple other of his “like to have” criteria (good football team, warm climate).

stbugs said:
I’m definitely going to start on the SAT prep earlier with my middle son. I’ll have to because he’s on the opposite side of the scale in terms of taking charge like my oldest.
Any particular reason why you would focus on SAT over ACT?

Users who are viewing this thread